IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Favorite agave?

RainForestt Robert

There aren't many agaves available in Trinidad. A while back I bought seed of three species from rarepalmseeds.com. A. applanata is my favorite. This plant is a bit less than 3 years from seed and is now suckering. It is in a 3 gal container and gets mainly morning sun. It will be transplanted soon into a clay pot that is a lot wider than it is deep.

DSC_3021.jpg

If others are growing agaves, please share pics and culture information.

Robert

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

I have 3 varieties growing. no idea what the names are but here is one getting ready to bloom. It took 5 years before it started blooming and took like 2 months to get this high.

post-618-1244512851_thumb.jpg

Zone 9A

Dade City, FL. 

That a nice one Robert.

Here is one of my favorites. I'm guessing on the ID as it was not labeled when I bought it.

Agave parryi

OurGardenDec08086.jpg

And another one of my favs,

Agave weberi

OurGardenDec08136-1.jpg

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

I have probably 30 different agaves, but I don't know what would be my favorite. I like the hairy ones like multifilifera and schidigera, but I also like my variegated ones like the lophantha quadracolor and of course the "Joe Hoak" is a really nice plant. I'll have to look around and take a picture. Maybe combine the two because I do have a few variegated schidigera plants. This is not a picture of my plants, but here is one in a catalog where I got mine from:

http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Curre...tail/07921.html

im a big agave fan :)

my favorite that I grow currently is Agave celsii.. I am also a fan of variegation and would love to find a variegated version.

here is one in my front yard.

if anyone wants to trade 'pups' I have a few diffrent varieites.

post-741-1244519832_thumb.jpg

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

here is my Agave angustifolia 'Marginata' last year, the cold damaged many of the leaves this past winter, but its already making a awesome recovery.

post-741-1244520319_thumb.jpg

Edited by FRITO

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

What the heck, a couple more

Agave americana variegata

OurGardenDec08010-1.jpg

A. blue glow

OurGardenDec08191-1.jpg

Agave victorae reginae

OurGardenDec08060.jpg

a small variegated Agave, not sure of the exact name

OurGardenDec08087.jpg

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Uno mas,

Agave, geminiflora

OurGardenDec08159.jpg

Okay, dos mas

A. sisilana

OurGardenDec08122.jpg

Matt in Temecula, CA

a small variegated Agave, not sure of the exact name

OurGardenDec08087.jpg

Agave americana "medio picta"

This ones really nice because of the "ivory white" stripe. Kinda slow compared to the other americanas, at least for me.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

A. macroacantha, A. tequilana and A. weberi are my favorite large species. For smaller Agave, I like A. potatorum and A. guiengola.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Agave americana "medio picta"

This ones really nice because of the "ivory white" stripe. Kinda slow compared to the other americanas, at least for me.

Thank you Tank.

Matt in Temecula, CA

There are several agave varieties that grow wild here in Arizona.I was out hiking yesterday and caught this individual getting ready to flower.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

027.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Gentlemen,Lovely visuals ! :greenthumb:

Here are few visuals from my collection,i did have many but they rot one by one here in my climate..

post-108-1244561837_thumb.jpg

post-108-1244561875_thumb.jpg

post-108-1244561905_thumb.jpg

post-108-1244561953_thumb.jpg

post-108-1244561987_thumb.jpg

post-108-1244562397_thumb.jpg

post-108-1244562727_thumb.jpg

post-108-1244562436_thumb.jpg

post-108-1244562472_thumb.jpg

Love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

A couple shots of smaller agaves around my yard.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

post-236-1244566271_thumb.jpg

post-236-1244566783_thumb.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

Another showing octopus and sharkskin.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

post-236-1244567231_thumb.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

Last showing twin flowered agave.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

post-236-1244567801_thumb.jpg

Edited by aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

Yes, the original not sure species was A. parryi and the lower one is americana medio picta alba. And for the variegated celsii:

http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Curre...tail/07922.html

I have about 6 of these now. As the mail order plants go, these were the largest coming right from the nursery. Well worth getting, especially for the price. I'm not seeing any pink yet though.

There are several agave varieties that grow wild here in Arizona.I was out hiking yesterday and caught this individual getting ready to flower.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

027.jpg

What a great agave. Looks like one of the parryi's or possibly neomexicana? Is there a "poaching" problem in your area? Seems like that would be an expensive plant and agaves are pretty easy to remove.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

A. macroacantha, A. tequilana and A. weberi are my favorite large species. For smaller Agave, I like A. potatorum and A. guiengola.

Unfortunately I have caught the "drought tollerant bug" to go with all of my other ailments. I even dug up a few palms to create a xeric section of my yard. My favorite is A. Guiengola, but I would not call it small. Rancho Soledad has some that are close to six feet across and look like something out of the Jurassic age. Here is my little guy. Aaron

001-1.jpg

003.jpg

Encinitas, CA

Zone 10b

some of my favorite Agaves (I love variegated plants, in case you notice there are few here)

Agave attenuata Nova, Agave celsii 'multicolor', Agave celsii Nova, Agave chazaroi, Agave desmettiana 'mediopicta'. Agave guadalajarana Agave guingolas and Agave gypsophila marginata

post-426-1244675779_thumb.jpg

post-426-1244675791_thumb.jpg

post-426-1244675804_thumb.jpg

post-426-1244675817_thumb.jpg

post-426-1244675829_thumb.jpg

post-426-1244675838_thumb.jpg

post-426-1244675851_thumb.jpg

post-426-1244675862_thumb.jpg

oops... forgot these:

Agave attenuata variegata, Agave pumila, Agave toumeyana 'bella', Agave victoriae-reginae 'Golden Princess', Agave victoriae-reginae x macroacantha 'Green Steel', Agave weberi variegated and Agave utahensis nevadaensis

post-426-1244676222_thumb.jpg

post-426-1244676238_thumb.jpg

post-426-1244676248_thumb.jpg

post-426-1244676261_thumb.jpg

post-426-1244676271_thumb.jpg

post-426-1244676282_thumb.jpg

post-426-1244676292_thumb.jpg

Here are two of my favorite Agaves in our garden.

First pic is Agave geminiflora

Second pic is Agave guiengola

post-90-1244692110_thumb.jpg

post-90-1244692123_thumb.jpg

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

027.jpg

What a great agave. Looks like one of the parryi's or possibly neomexicana? Is there a "poaching" problem in your area? Seems like that would be an expensive plant and agaves are pretty easy to remove.

Yes, it is Agve parryi var.huachucensis.I don't think there is any kind of poaching problem with Arizona agaves. There really doesn't seem to be much of a market for them here surprisingly.Not too many people plant agaves in their yard due to the pokey factor and besides,this particular variety seems to grow like weeds everywhere between 4000 - 8000 feet all over the state.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

I have tried to grow that species (Agave nizandensis) several times, and it struggles.. nice color though while it's struggling... I only have photos of plants that aren't struggling too much (none of these are my plants, however)

post-426-1244697748_thumb.jpg

post-426-1244697760_thumb.jpg

post-426-1244697779_thumb.jpg

• 6 years later...
On 6/8/2009, 11:04:19, FRITO said:

here is my Agave angustifolia 'Marginata' last year, the cold damaged many of the leaves this past winter, but its already making a awesome recovery.

post-741-1244520319_thumb.jpg

Beautiful vigorous plant. It thrived for a few years in ground for me but was too marginal for my zone. It will sprout pups all over the place, even as far as 2 or 3 feet away from the main plant!
Seems to withstand mid 20's with little or no damage. 2014 severely damaged mine though such that I wanted to replace it with something more hardy. After hacking and cutting away at the leaves, all that was left was the main stem/root. It was UNBELIEVABLY hard to pull out of the ground. I literally tied a rope to it and pulled, after which it FINALLY came out. Still after this, suckers continued to sprout out of the ground for the next 3 years (!!!) in the area where it had been. 

It really was a beautiful plant and looked great in the yard. And besides the task of pulling out unwanted pups, I appreciated how easy it was to grow.

Edited by Opal92

Picture of my aforementioned plant right after the polar vortex. I now have a clump of Adam's needle yucca there.

7ba9e8.jpg

Edited by Opal92

Awesome Images, thanks for sharing!

I did buy the Agave Attentua but I gave it away after hearing it took ten years to flower..........:floor:

Anyway I saw some later  in flower in Golf Del Sur, Tenerife...massive flowers.

Here is one:

agaveattentua.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thus far, these three..

A smooth margin form of A. titanota, Baby A. parryi truncata.. maybe an offset off the "Huntington clone" and one i have had a couple years.. Think it is A weberi but, encountering some the other day in a local landscape, the leaves look thinner on mine. Regardless, a great Agave.

Needless to say, now that i am here in AZ, fully anticipate the Agave collection to grow a lot over the next year.. Hope i have the room, lol:D:greenthumb:

56e386d02e539_DSCN0028(755x659).jpg.068556e386e5e12d0_DSCN0029(657x755).thumb.jp56e386f751108_DSCN0043(566x755).thumb.jp