Sign in to follow this  
RainForestt Robert

Favorite agave?

RainForestt Robert

There aren't many agaves available in Trinidad. A while back I bought seed of three species from rarepalmseeds.com. A. applanata is my favorite. This plant is a bit less than 3 years from seed and is now suckering. It is in a 3 gal container and gets mainly morning sun. It will be transplanted soon into a clay pot that is a lot wider than it is deep.

DSC_3021.jpg

If others are growing agaves, please share pics and culture information.

Robert

mpanak

I have 3 varieties growing. no idea what the names are but here is one getting ready to bloom. It took 5 years before it started blooming and took like 2 months to get this high.

post-618-1244512851_thumb.jpg

freakypalmguy

That a nice one Robert.

Here is one of my favorites. I'm guessing on the ID as it was not labeled when I bought it.

Agave parryi

OurGardenDec08086.jpg

And another one of my favs,

Agave weberi

OurGardenDec08136-1.jpg

cycadjungle

I have probably 30 different agaves, but I don't know what would be my favorite. I like the hairy ones like multifilifera and schidigera, but I also like my variegated ones like the lophantha quadracolor and of course the "Joe Hoak" is a really nice plant. I'll have to look around and take a picture. Maybe combine the two because I do have a few variegated schidigera plants. This is not a picture of my plants, but here is one in a catalog where I got mine from:

http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Curre...tail/07921.html

FRITO

im a big agave fan :)

my favorite that I grow currently is Agave celsii.. I am also a fan of variegation and would love to find a variegated version.

here is one in my front yard.

if anyone wants to trade 'pups' I have a few diffrent varieites.

post-741-1244519832_thumb.jpg

FRITO

here is my Agave angustifolia 'Marginata' last year, the cold damaged many of the leaves this past winter, but its already making a awesome recovery.

post-741-1244520319_thumb.jpg

Edited by FRITO

freakypalmguy

What the heck, a couple more

Agave americana variegata

OurGardenDec08010-1.jpg

A. blue glow

OurGardenDec08191-1.jpg

Agave victorae reginae

OurGardenDec08060.jpg

a small variegated Agave, not sure of the exact name

OurGardenDec08087.jpg

freakypalmguy

Uno mas,

Agave, geminiflora

OurGardenDec08159.jpg

Okay, dos mas

A. sisilana

OurGardenDec08122.jpg

tank
a small variegated Agave, not sure of the exact name

OurGardenDec08087.jpg

Agave americana "medio picta"

This ones really nice because of the "ivory white" stripe. Kinda slow compared to the other americanas, at least for me.

SubTropicRay

A. macroacantha, A. tequilana and A. weberi are my favorite large species. For smaller Agave, I like A. potatorum and A. guiengola.

freakypalmguy
Agave americana "medio picta"

This ones really nice because of the "ivory white" stripe. Kinda slow compared to the other americanas, at least for me.

Thank you Tank.

aztropic

There are several agave varieties that grow wild here in Arizona.I was out hiking yesterday and caught this individual getting ready to flower.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

027.jpg

Kris

Gentlemen,Lovely visuals ! :greenthumb:

Here are few visuals from my collection,i did have many but they rot one by one here in my climate..

post-108-1244561837_thumb.jpg

post-108-1244561875_thumb.jpg

post-108-1244561905_thumb.jpg

post-108-1244561953_thumb.jpg

post-108-1244561987_thumb.jpg

post-108-1244562397_thumb.jpg

post-108-1244562727_thumb.jpg

post-108-1244562436_thumb.jpg

post-108-1244562472_thumb.jpg

Love,

Kris :)

aztropic

A couple shots of smaller agaves around my yard.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

post-236-1244566271_thumb.jpg

post-236-1244566783_thumb.jpg

aztropic

Another showing octopus and sharkskin.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

post-236-1244567231_thumb.jpg

aztropic

Last showing twin flowered agave.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

post-236-1244567801_thumb.jpg

Edited by aztropic

cycadjungle

Yes, the original not sure species was A. parryi and the lower one is americana medio picta alba. And for the variegated celsii:

http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Curre...tail/07922.html

I have about 6 of these now. As the mail order plants go, these were the largest coming right from the nursery. Well worth getting, especially for the price. I'm not seeing any pink yet though.

tank
There are several agave varieties that grow wild here in Arizona.I was out hiking yesterday and caught this individual getting ready to flower.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

027.jpg

What a great agave. Looks like one of the parryi's or possibly neomexicana? Is there a "poaching" problem in your area? Seems like that would be an expensive plant and agaves are pretty easy to remove.

tank

actually, it doesn't really look like neomexicana

Bags
A. macroacantha, A. tequilana and A. weberi are my favorite large species. For smaller Agave, I like A. potatorum and A. guiengola.

Unfortunately I have caught the "drought tollerant bug" to go with all of my other ailments. I even dug up a few palms to create a xeric section of my yard. My favorite is A. Guiengola, but I would not call it small. Rancho Soledad has some that are close to six feet across and look like something out of the Jurassic age. Here is my little guy. Aaron

001-1.jpg

003.jpg

Geoff

some of my favorite Agaves (I love variegated plants, in case you notice there are few here)

Agave attenuata Nova, Agave celsii 'multicolor', Agave celsii Nova, Agave chazaroi, Agave desmettiana 'mediopicta'. Agave guadalajarana Agave guingolas and Agave gypsophila marginata

post-426-1244675779_thumb.jpg

post-426-1244675791_thumb.jpg

post-426-1244675804_thumb.jpg

post-426-1244675817_thumb.jpg

post-426-1244675829_thumb.jpg

post-426-1244675838_thumb.jpg

post-426-1244675851_thumb.jpg

post-426-1244675862_thumb.jpg

Geoff

oops... forgot these:

Agave attenuata variegata, Agave pumila, Agave toumeyana 'bella', Agave victoriae-reginae 'Golden Princess', Agave victoriae-reginae x macroacantha 'Green Steel', Agave weberi variegated and Agave utahensis nevadaensis

post-426-1244676222_thumb.jpg

post-426-1244676238_thumb.jpg

post-426-1244676248_thumb.jpg

post-426-1244676261_thumb.jpg

post-426-1244676271_thumb.jpg

post-426-1244676282_thumb.jpg

post-426-1244676292_thumb.jpg

Al in Kona

Here are two of my favorite Agaves in our garden.

First pic is Agave geminiflora

Second pic is Agave guiengola

post-90-1244692110_thumb.jpg

post-90-1244692123_thumb.jpg

aztropic

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

027.jpg

What a great agave. Looks like one of the parryi's or possibly neomexicana? Is there a "poaching" problem in your area? Seems like that would be an expensive plant and agaves are pretty easy to remove.

Yes, it is Agve parryi var.huachucensis.I don't think there is any kind of poaching problem with Arizona agaves. There really doesn't seem to be much of a market for them here surprisingly.Not too many people plant agaves in their yard due to the pokey factor and besides,this particular variety seems to grow like weeds everywhere between 4000 - 8000 feet all over the state.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Geoff

I have tried to grow that species (Agave nizandensis) several times, and it struggles.. nice color though while it's struggling... I only have photos of plants that aren't struggling too much (none of these are my plants, however)

post-426-1244697748_thumb.jpg

post-426-1244697760_thumb.jpg

post-426-1244697779_thumb.jpg

Matthew92
On 6/8/2009, 11:04:19, FRITO said:

here is my Agave angustifolia 'Marginata' last year, the cold damaged many of the leaves this past winter, but its already making a awesome recovery.

post-741-1244520319_thumb.jpg

Beautiful vigorous plant. It thrived for a few years in ground for me but was too marginal for my zone. It will sprout pups all over the place, even as far as 2 or 3 feet away from the main plant!
Seems to withstand mid 20's with little or no damage. 2014 severely damaged mine though such that I wanted to replace it with something more hardy. After hacking and cutting away at the leaves, all that was left was the main stem/root. It was UNBELIEVABLY hard to pull out of the ground. I literally tied a rope to it and pulled, after which it FINALLY came out. Still after this, suckers continued to sprout out of the ground for the next 3 years (!!!) in the area where it had been. 

It really was a beautiful plant and looked great in the yard. And besides the task of pulling out unwanted pups, I appreciated how easy it was to grow.

Edited by Opal92

Matthew92

Picture of my aforementioned plant right after the polar vortex. I now have a clump of Adam's needle yucca there.

7ba9e8.jpg

Edited by Opal92

NorthFlpalmguy

My favorite is the blue glow, or as they call it around north central Florida the 'gator' glow.

tunku2

Awesome Images, thanks for sharing!

I did buy the Agave Attentua but I gave it away after hearing it took ten years to flower..........:floor:

Anyway I saw some later  in flower in Golf Del Sur, Tenerife...massive flowers.

Here is one:

agaveattentua.jpg

• Upvote 1

Silas_Sancona

Thus far, these three..

A smooth margin form of A. titanota, Baby A. parryi truncata.. maybe an offset off the "Huntington clone" and one i have had a couple years.. Think it is A weberi but, encountering some the other day in a local landscape, the leaves look thinner on mine. Regardless, a great Agave.

Needless to say, now that i am here in AZ, fully anticipate the Agave collection to grow a lot over the next year.. Hope i have the room, lol:D:greenthumb:

56e386d02e539_DSCN0028(755x659).jpg.068556e386e5e12d0_DSCN0029(657x755).thumb.jp56e386f751108_DSCN0043(566x755).thumb.jp