IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chambeyronia lepidota

www.dadluvsu.com

11 hours ago, richnorm said:

Next is my last  remaining Mid form. Just 15cm.  It has always been much slower and daintier but is healthy.

Neither is much to show after 8 years or so!

Being slower do you think it needs more warmth than your climate provides???

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

On 9/3/2018, 1:49:39, richnorm said:

That's the "normal" shape. Many thanks. The information is much appreciated.

my pleasure! i just mean "strange" in comparison to many other palm seeds that are ovoid, obovoid, globose, etc. Also strange how the fruit is obovoid but then the seed only takes up half the space of the fruit...

On 9/3/2018, 2:01:06, Tyrone said:

That looks like the mid elevation seed, not the high elevation. 

what is the difference? do you have a photo of the high elevation seed?

• 2 weeks later...

It looks very happy. 

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 1 year later...

Bump : any updates on this palm. What is it's true hardiness if one were able to find one ? Read somewhere it's possible 9a =/ sounds to good to be true. 

T J 

• 2 years later...

What is the hardiness of this palm, what temperature can go down to and what  temperature does  it gets damaged at? Will this palm do better in shade or full sun. If I can find one I'm thinking about trying it in ground.

Edited by Foxpalms

They’re exceptionally hard to get seed of and in my experience incredibly difficult to keep alive. All mine are long deceased.😒

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

They’re exceptionally hard to get seed of and in my experience incredibly difficult to keep alive. All mine are long deceased.😒

Sounds challenging to grow, but if I find one it's worth trying. Are there any freeze damage reports of this palm?

2 hours ago, Foxpalms said:

Sounds challenging to grow, but if I find one it's worth trying. Are there any freeze damage reports of this palm?

They’re very rare so I doubt it. Im thinking it would have a very narrow temp range to be happy and to thrive. My high altitude ones gradually died in Perth over the space of a few years as they couldn’t handle the summer heat. Through winter they were happy. My mid altitude ones had a low germination rate and just didn’t want to live down here in Albany. I’ve been told they need to be kept on the dry side so I probably overwatered my mid altitude ones. I would try the high altitude ones again down here if I had the opportunity as I reckon they would grow. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/25/2011 at 8:15 AM, Alberto said:

Last freeze my seedlings were outside , below canopy. The min. temperature was -4.2 °C at the lowest part of my property (at grass level) and -3°C at 1.5m altitude not far from the house. The seedlings are OK today.

I suspect it gets down to near zero up Panie on occasions. The weather records earlier in this thread from Poindimie (sea level) or the weather station near it, basically sea level, would be vastly different from the extremes experienced up the top 1-1.5km higher. Stuff from altitude there appears to hate heat, also hates full sun when young and also needs good drainage but never allowed to dry out. Cold probably isn’t so much your enemy but heat and dry is.