IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chambeyronia lepidota

www.dadluvsu.com

Last freeze my seedlings were outside , below canopy. The min. temperature was -4.2 °C at the lowest part of my property (at grass level) and -3°C at 1.5m altitude not far from the house. The seedlings are OK today.

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Just went out to the shadehouse in a break between showers to take a look at my C lepidota's. The growth in the last week has surpassed the growth in the last 9 months. 2 have opened new leaves. One has just opened up it's 3rd leaf and there is a tinge of burgundy in the new leaf closest to the veins. Too small to really detect with a picture but definitely there to the naked eye. The sort of red you get with a hookeri that has almost turned green, but you can see it still has that burgundy brownish gloss in places. Even my C macrocarpa hookeri's didn't really have that colour so early on. Also one of my Acktinokentia divaricata has just opened a new spear so this wet mild weather must be to the liking of the NC stuff at the moment.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Just went out to the shadehouse in a break between showers to take a look at my C lepidota's. The growth in the last week has surpassed the growth in the last 9 months. 2 have opened new leaves. One has just opened up it's 3rd leaf and there is a tinge of burgundy in the new leaf closest to the veins. Too small to really detect with a picture but definitely there to the naked eye. The sort of red you get with a hookeri that has almost turned green, but you can see it still has that burgundy brownish gloss in places. Even my C macrocarpa hookeri's didn't really have that colour so early on. Also one of my Acktinokentia divaricata has just opened a new spear so this wet mild weather must be to the liking of the NC stuff at the moment.

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone,you made me curious. I´ll make a closer inspection of my seedlings!:)

Nothing better for all this stuff then a good natural shower!!!

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

• 1 month later...

Had a close look at my lepidota today ,been outside all winter and has just started to open a new leaf already . will take some pictures later in the week . These are going to be super slow grow reckon i will be lucky to get 1.5 fronds a year . :mrlooney:

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

• 8 months later...

Updates anyone? First up is low/mid altitude form from seed received in June 2009. Next in the high altitude form from seed received in August 2010. They seem to have stabilised (no losses in last 12 months)and are producing two leaves per year at this stage. The high form produces character leaves very early. Watch for snails on the low/mid form.

cheers

Richard

post-264-006268500 1339021435_thumb.jpg

post-264-001336900 1339021469_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Updates anyone? First up is low/mid altitude form from seed received in June 2009. Next in the high altitude form from seed received in August 2010. They seem to have stabilised (no losses in last 12 months)and are producing two leaves per year at this stage. The high form produces character leaves very early. Watch for snails on the low/mid form.

cheers

Richard

Rich, they look fantastic..A lesson i learned here many years ago with palms from NC is that the sooner they go inground they really outperform their friends in pots..palms from NC send down very strong deep root systems when planted, this they cant do in pots...Plant em Rich..Pete :)

• 1 year later...

Nice colour Peter. Is that the first leaf since planting? Looks a little smaller but no to worry. The roots on the High form are really thick and aggressive so no doubt that is where a lot of energy is going.

The long wait is over, my Chamberyonia Lepidota is opening a new leaf!

Very nice mate. This was from Premier Palms? If so it was from the seed batch from when I was there.

I only have 4 left now. I did have more, but due to not looking in my shadehouse for months and due to storms etc I found 5 on the ground on their side dead. I can't wait to try these down south.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

These were from Premier Palms, I bought 2 and planted them straight away and they have been an easy grow for me down here.

Here is a photo from this morning

post-6144-0-31415400-1388546584_thumb.jp

• Upvote 2

Peter thats looking A1 in Perth's hot climate ! trumps a good grower !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

• 6 months later...

I finally planted one each of these examples.. I think only the Highland version is one of the ones pictured at some point. Got a mini batch of low/mid versions and planted one. As it recently started pushing a spear I spotted this thread looking for something else.. so I bumped.. maybe a pic will show up here soon too ..No others are alive :(

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 4 months later...

Looks good Pete - a real patient persons palm !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

• 1 year later...

Ressrecting an old thread but i

I´m curious how all your seedlings performed in the last year!

Here is my best growing C. lepidota high altitude...... Cheers!

DSCN8513.JPG

DSCN8514.JPG

• Upvote 2

Yes I can see the differece! Your lepidota high altitude  looks similar to mine.

• 1 year later...

My C. lepidota high altitude 1 year and 7 months later. It is slow , but this seedling that is growing on a wet spot, grows better. Can you please also show yours so we can compare growth. Thanks.

DSCN9850.JPG

Edited by Alberto
  • Upvote 5

Wow, what a nice palm and beautifull collors on the new frond.

3 hours ago, richnorm said:

Mid still exceedingly slow but High gaining pace.

IMG_8544.JPG

Does it receive suplemental water or only rain water/

1 hour ago, Alberto said:

Does it receive suplemental water or only rain water/

I have an irrigation system but only use it during the driest of summers as we have heavy clay and plenty of rainfall (1300mm).  I would estimate the plant above has been watered maybe 2 or 3 times since planted in the ground.  I dare say I could grow it faster with a bit more love!

• Upvote 1

On 7/18/2014, 1:02:01, BS Man about Palms said:

I finally planted one each of these examples.. I think only the Highland version is one of the ones pictured at some point. Got a mini batch of low/mid versions and planted one. As it recently started pushing a spear I spotted this thread looking for something else.. so I bumped.. maybe a pic will show up here soon too ..No others are alive :(

I can try to get some "anti-climactic" pics of mine, but I think I planted my highland version too close to my (now giant) Foxy lady and I suspect its a struggle for water and food.

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 1 year later...

Thought I'd bump this thread along. A bit of a read but I'm glad I posted in it because I couldn't remember my experiences with this species. All of my high elevation died due to them hating me transporting them down to my new place in 40C summer heat. Got some mid seeds now that I'm hoping to germinate. Inland Perth was too hot for this species but down here should be perfect.

1 hour ago, knell said:

A3308BC7-2FAC-4A4B-86FF-4B5C69F8E17F.thu

i love this palm, the leaflets can slice you open like a papercut

But does it have a red new leaf? And what shape is the seed?!

18 hours ago, knell said:

A3308BC7-2FAC-4A4B-86FF-4B5C69F8E17F.thu

i love this palm, the leaflets can slice you open like a papercut

That's one tough leaf.

On 9/1/2018, 8:28:28, richnorm said:

But does it have a red new leaf? And what shape is the seed?!

its a pinkish new leaf that goes green quickly.

the seed is a very strange shape, like a cupcake

DB2C074D-E943-4465-BD24-02D268B908C4.thu

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, knell said:

That's the "normal" shape. Many thanks. The information is much appreciated.

4 hours ago, knell said:

That looks like the mid elevation seed, not the high elevation. 

4 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

That looks like the mid elevation seed, not the high elevation. 

Yep, would be hundreds of years old in my climate!

12 minutes ago, richnorm said:

Yep, would be hundreds of years old in my climate!

How big are yours now??

12 hours ago, Tyrone said:

How big are yours now??

First up High form. 55cm and showing red fur ion the crownshaft.  Strong red new leaf. I have two smaller plants.  All have very stiff leathery leaves.

SAM_0428.JPG

SAM_0426.JPG

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Tyrone said:

How big are yours now??

Next is my last  remaining Mid form. Just 15cm.  It has always been much slower and daintier but is healthy.

Neither is much to show after 8 years or so!

11 hours ago, richnorm said:

First up High form. 55cm and showing red fur ion the crownshaft.  Strong red new leaf. I have two smaller plants.  All have very stiff leathery leaves.

SAM_0428.JPG

SAM_0426.JPG

Very nice. That's still a great achievement after 8 years.

• Upvote 1

Would love to see your mid elevation one.