IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How Long Do I Keep Fronds Tied Up After Transplant?

joe_OC

So I finally got my 20 ft. Foxy Lady and Kentia transplanted. The Foxy Lady had almost 2 months of root pruning before it was moved. I was told that the fronds need to stay all tied up for a couple of months to prevent photosynthesis so the palms would not go into shock and die. Do I really need to wait this long before I am able to let the fronds open up? Your input would be greatly appreciated.

J

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

The leafs are tied up in a transplant 1st for easy handling during the transplant and 2nd to help lower transpiration and evaporation through the leaves(photosynthesis is wanted and welcome as it provides food to the palm to grow roots and leaves faster than with stored energy...) so that the palm can cope with the water loss and cover them with its small root system.However,when there have been good root pruns for months before,one can get away and have an instant beautyfull looking palm with no tied leaves like Ken Johnson does :winkie: I do not however have any transplanting experience with large palms nor with Foxy lady so thats all the help i can give you on that...Kentia however transplants real easy from my experience splitting a large trio with an axe.They have a root system with many fine roots so i think it will be just fine.Personally,i would remove the ties on this one as soon as i see that no leaf is dessicating for some days.That is a safe indicator that the palm can support its water needs and so untying the leaves wouldnt do much harm,you may loose a leaf or 2 at the worst case...I didnt lost a single one with mine but i placed them in shade and the humidity was high...

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

i recall a pssc meeting a few years ago which featured a presentation by don hodel in which he discussed the findings of an experiment he conducted to see if tied up leaves help a transplanted palm in any way & from what i remember it did not make any difference.

anyone else remember this? i am pretty sure palmgrover was there & mattyb may have been as well...help me out,guys!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Thanks, Paul. I was able to find that article. The experiment was done on Washingtonia's which are very robust palms. It's amazing how small the root ball is in the pictures:

Don Hodel Study on Washingtonia Palm Transplants

My palm tree mover was pretty adamant about leaving the fronds tied. He said that he was told by "experts" that he did not need to, but every time he left the palm untied, the palms suffered.

I guess I should be more specific, has anyone transplanted TROPICAL palms without tying up the fronds successfully?

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

is howea considered "tropical?" :P

still "warning-free."

True! :) I am not worried about the Howea at all. It's the Foxy lady that I am concerned about.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

ok,1 parent of a foxy lady is tropical,at least.

still "warning-free."

I agree Ken. You may end up with a fungal situation in the crown. Put a soaker hose around the base to get the palm established if you have concerns. ust my opinion!

Ron. :winkie:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

I've never tied up the leaves and I have transplanted many palms.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

the overwhelming concensus is that it is not necessary.

still "warning-free."

100_5080.jpg

how can you not take what this man says seriously? :lol:

still "warning-free."

Untie the morning after it's put in the ground, and no longer, for reasons already stated, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Unless the crown will be affected by winds and the pressure it would apply on the small developing rootball, I cannot think of any reason to keep the fronds tied up.

We have had some high winds here that have blown down newly planted large palms, probably bacause the rootball had not taken hold of the earth....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

i recall a pssc meeting a few years ago which featured a presentation by don hodel in which he discussed the findings of an experiment he conducted to see if tied up leaves help a transplanted palm in any way & from what i remember it did not make any difference.

anyone else remember this? i am pretty sure palmgrover was there & mattyb may have been as well...help me out,guys!

Paul's got it right Joe, thats how I remember the presentation on transplanting palms. I say "cut the ties that bind".

more palms, less bombs!

see,i can remember things.

what were we talking about? :wacko:

still "warning-free."

At the last seminar facilitated by Don H. and Jim Downer, this issue was raised by some very old-school arborists. Even when presented with the test/control group findings refuting the practice, quite a few of these gents refused to accept it. If anyone has ever seen Jim D. in action you'd know how those exchanges ended up. The project results were very conclusive in favor of leaving the leaves untied.

Here we make a tripod out of two by four's, and banding iron, which is left on for quit some time for stability's sake, ( on taller palms ), Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Thanks, guys...!

That's why I asked! I will untie them ASAP!.

Joe

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Dear Joe :)

I tie my palm leaves up while transporting to the desire location.and once i have planted it in the perfect location,i remove the tie,the following day.i.e till i water the palm and fill the soil into the pit.the fronds tied up is much easier to work.since most of the time we plant phoenix varities.which has lots of spines in them.And i plant all my plams during early summer or spring season.

And i hate to see people trim all the fronds and make the palm look very weak,saying that it helps to recover better.

love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 11 years later...

I just had to retie the fronds on three transplanted palms because the owner doesnt know what hes doing. It kills me to do it but what do I know right?. What should I do? Should I stand my ground and insist on my knowledge as a 15 yr tree farmer of all types?