IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

World Weather for June

Palmy

Transition from May to June is already done. In Germany we have had heavy rain two times a week. No palms here though!

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

The beginning of June saw a 26C day here, and it's winter!!!!!

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

The rainy season still hangs on here. I would like to see some drier weather for a while. It looks like more rain today. In the south of Brazil temperaturs have gone below freezing in some area, the higher ones, and in other areas been cool and closse to freezing. Winter has arrived to the south.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Don, what palms grow in those cold areas of Brazil. Any??

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

No real summer heat here yet. We have had a few 90+F days but it hasn't been over 80 for the past 10 days. Great transplanting weather!

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

With the arrival of the rainy season here in central Fl, the daytime highs have been running below average, in the mid to upper 80s (average is around 90-91 in June). This has been welcome relief from that heatwave we had in May, bring on the rain, since it is the norm this time of year. If we had drier summers, we would have far less in the way of large trees/forests in this area.

-Michael

Don, what palms grow in those cold areas of Brazil. Any??

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone,

I am not that familiar with the palms there, but the Butia is one of them. I mostly pay attention to the news with people running around in wool sweaters, drinking wine and eating fondue and enjoying the cold. I actually prefer the cold of my AC unit at night. Boy did it dump a lot of rain today.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don, it makes sense that Butia's grow there. I was wondering if any Euterpe's would grow in protected forest somewhere down there.

Best regards

Tyrone

No hot weather yet here in Southern California, but we don't really expect it either. Highs in the low 70s for the last few days with lows in the low 60s. Sunshine for now, anyways. Had some uncharacteristic T-storms a couple of days ago with pea sized hail. Strange weather here in the land of the bland.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Tyrone,

The E. edulis grows in the southern forests.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

We've had great weather here in the Atlanta, GA area. May was cooler and wetter than normal, which is just what we needed. All but one of our major resovoirs have recovered from our drought. That lake is down about 5 feet from full pool, which is up about 10ft from last year. Most days in May were in the upper 70's F (24-26C). The humidity didn't really kick in until about a week or so ago. It's still not bad. We've had dewpoints in the low to mid 60's.

Right now it is sunny and 85F (29C) with a dewpoint of 64F (18C).

Even with the rain, we are still not allowed to water any outside plants except for personal food gardens and 25 minutes a week at times I'm never home. I'm hoping that ends soon. My wife didn't plant her spring and summer flowers because of that. I was sort of hoping to plant a couple Majesty Palms (r. rivularis) as annuals in the flower garden this summer to see how they do. But if I can't water, it may be a waste if the rains stop coming. They are about $10-$15, so I don't mind them dying at the end of the season when we get frost, but I don't want to waste $30 on a couple plants that need a good amount of water if I can't water them.

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

Normally this time of the year in my inland N. Calif. valley we would be swealtering in the heat, but since the last 4 days of May it's been about 10 degrees F below normal. There is another low pumping cool air from the Pacific into N. Calif. The mornings have been overcast with lows in the mid 50's, and only in the low to mid 70's with partially sunny afternoons. My palms are chugging along, but would grow much faster with some heat.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Normally this time of the year in my inland N. Calif. valley we would be swealtering in the heat, but since the last 4 days of May it's been about 10 degrees F below normal. There is another low pumping cool air from the Pacific into N. Calif. The mornings have been overcast with lows in the mid 50's, and only in the low to mid 70's with partially sunny afternoons. My palms are chugging along, but would grow much faster with some heat.

Dick

Same here Dick, it's been very mild, nice, but not pumping the plants into any serious growth.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Matt,

This too will pass. In two weeks we will be complaining about the heat. It has been nice for humans lately, but the palms would like more heat.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Here's the departures from normal data for June [much of the nation has been experiencing relatively mild conditions considering its essentially summer]. The persistent trough off the California coast has provided a little rainfall\ t-storms but the all-day clouds are suppressing temps [up to 20 degrees below normal day temps]. It's comfortable but growth is slow.

junedepartures.png

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

I found this current image of the State of Amazonas which shows the clouds scattered across the area in the early morniing. Manaus is where the red box is located. The rain continues, but summer is near.

Maoweather11June-1.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Austria and Germany - in the last weeks: too cold, too wet, too windy :drool:

Reurmett.gif

I hope summer will come back again, soon (we had summer this year in April !!!!!)

Greetings from a litte village near Salzburg/Austria

Moni

11152.gif

USDA 5b (up to -26° C)

It is very hard for me to see, how many plants are growing around the the world, which I don't have in my collection!!!!

The rainy season took a big lull here in central Florida. I have had 1/2" rain in the4 past 2 1/2 weeks. That one week in May was nice, but each day is almost cloudless, 90F/33C humid and dry. I missed all last weeks' storms! Now the hose is my best friend again! arghhhhhhhhh :-(( Greg in New Port Richey

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

It hasn't risen above 73F in Oceanside since May 21.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Hot and dry....again.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Despite the lull we got a bit of rain here today (.20"), and a lot of wind. I was expecting more, but I will take what I can get! I am hoping these early rainy season "lulls" do not portend a dry summer for us here.

-Michael

Day time temps. continue to remain well below normal in N. Calif, 10 to 20 degrees below normal with highs only in the mid 70's. It's great for humans but the palms are crying for more heat. In spite of the coolness, some of the Butias, Jubaeas and the Butia X Jubaea are poping their spathes. The Tracheycarpus and Parajubaeas love the cooler temps, and my giant Nannorrhops has 3 or 4 huge inflorescences pushing up above the fronds. This is the first time the Nanny has had multiple blooms. When they fruit I hope I can get to the seeds before the squirrels do.

Dick

Richard Douglas

That Calif. weather sounds perfect, I wish we could get some highs in the 70s here right about now. I'd toss the Cyrtostachys back in the greenhouse and call it a day :lol:

-Michael

Here in Cape Coral, it is hot, hot, hot - and dry. Not a drop of rain for a week. Highs in mid-upper 90s. Friday, temp in my shadehouse reached 106. I hauled out the hose and sprayed the thing down. Temp finally fell to 86. YesterdaY at 2:30 shadehouse reached 102 and I did same thing. Today by 1:30 temp topped 100 and out came the hose. I got shadehouse down to 86 but temp has risen again to 91. The heat is a killer without afternoon rains to cool the blast furnace. What happened to rainy season?

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Parents back home in Orinda (east SF bay) complain that its been cold cloudy, and sometimes rainy. They keep saying that it hasnt reached 80 in weeks. Our pool water temperature is at 69.5F. Last year at June 20th, it was at 79.2F. Slightly behind. If we get 7 90+ days, the temp of pool will go up by 6-7F.

Temperature here currently, is between 70F and 85F. My cold drink intake becomes a dependency, I stay awake until about 2.00am, never properly getting into bed, and mosquitoes hum to me in the wee small hours.

Temps in mid- to upper-90s every day and not a drop of rain. Brutal. I've already brought about a dozen heat-stressed potted palms indoors, Calyptrogyne, Laccospadix, Linospadix and Loxoccocus.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Incredible you are not getting any rain. The florida radar lights up every day it seems. oh well. Hope you get rain soon!

Almost tocuhed 100 here today, but forecast is for cooling into the 80s for the weekend.

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

It raining this evening, for the first time in 30 days. While California was unusually cool, we had a remarkable heat wave at the beginning of the month, with 4 days above 90 topping out at 99F June 5th (or so). But we've been back to normal for the last week and 1/2.... and on the cool side for the last three days.

Sequim, WA. cool and dry

January average high/low: 44/32

July average high/low: 74/51

16" annual average precipitation

Brutal here. I did get 1/2" rain Wed eve but the bulk missed. Since then it has been sunny, very hot and very humid. At 10am the heat index was 108F. The low was 83F for the past three days. I spray down everything in the afternoon for fear of plant exhaustion. They are promising cooler weather midweek with some rain chances - just hope their at my house! Greg

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

So far lots of rain...more than average so its been slightly cooler. Its weird because we don't typically have a rainy season but on occasion we get some heavy rainfall during summer.

It rarely gets overly hot here reaching 90 F/ 32 C once in a while but June has only seen a high of 83 F. Last summer our highest temperature was only 86.5F...it was a slightly cooler year.

Here is a detailed weather report for June...

post-751-1245626651_thumb.jpg

Michael Ferreira

Bermuda-Humid(77% ave), Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Warm Season: (May-November): Max/Min 81F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Record High: 94F

Record Low: 43F

Rain: 55 inches per year with no dry/wet season

Today the looked like the dry season is arriving. I am a bit tired of so much rain so it is a welcome change.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

98 F here today. About as hot as it's ever been.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

They are prediciting a "back door cool front" to drop us to upper 80's by Tue/Wed and dewpoints to the lower 70's. I am now drenched from an 81F dewpoint in the yard at 10am. 90F + humidity is 108F heat index, strong SW breeze off 88F water doesn't help much, either. N o rain. nada. Just under one inch for June so far. There are some scattered clouds today! I'm thankful for small favors. Anyone know where to get Cham. plumosa? I had one nice one but it rotted. Now I know what I did wrong. I'm a PRAYING for rain! Greg

We are in a heat wave/mini drought right now with even established plants starting to show the stress. Haven't had any real rain in a few weeks as temps, which have been hovering in the mid to upper 90s, will climb over 100 for the next 3 days. We may break some all-time high records.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Hi,

Last week was good with almost every day 26-28C/78.8-82.4F with loads of sunshine and very humid and night temperatures from 17-18C/62.2-64.4F. This weekend a little cooler because clouds during the day (24C/75.2F)

This new week starts the same with temperatures from 26-28C/78.8-82.4F till Wednesday. 30C/86F for thursday with an 33C/91.4F forecasted at this moment for coming friday in a humid condition....

Night temperatures for my place would be around the 17-18C/62.2-64.4F.

So not a bad forecast at this moment.

Southwest

It got HOT this weekend!!!

I believe this picture says it all. This is in the shade, btw. Look at the time- we still have 8 hours of daylight left to go!

I'm stayin' sacked up inside today.....

post-195-1246217282_thumb.jpg

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

It's 105 F in Walnut Creek at 1 PM and murcury is still climbing. Must not be so hot down South. I don't hear anyone squaking.

Dick

Richard Douglas