IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter in the south

Tyrone

It's been a cold couple of days this weekend. Yesterday was fine and sunny, starting around 3C with a cold southerly breeze and not quite making 15C, then today a min of 2.6C and just getting over 15C with a cloudy day in the arvo. This is quite cold for Perth. Luckily we're back up to 20C and a bit more by the end of the week and hopefully for most of next week. I think this weekend winter bottomed out and we're on the way out of winter towards spring.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Hey Ty

I reckon we may still get a few suprises since the worlds weather is properly in the toilet! I hope not but I reckon August might be nasty...

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Hey Ty

I reckon we may still get a few suprises since the worlds weather is properly in the toilet! I hope not but I reckon August might be nasty...

I sure hope not. We'll just have to wait and see though. We're not out of the woods yet, but it's nice to look at any light at the end of the tunnel provided it's not another train. :blink:

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Wed, Thurs, and Friday are predicted to be frosty. Guess whom won't be sleeping well for the next few nights ? I filled the benches and the bathroom and the kitchen with everything I could carry and tomorrow I will bring in anything I can drag. Most of the things in the ground are still sending up new spears etc, since all the rain and the recent warm spell, so I will try to cover anything coverable and just hope for the best. So far the forecast hasn't predicted anything in the minuses, which are the danger zones for my place, but then they arent always very accurate with the overnight temps anyhow so I just have to live in hope.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

A very powerful high will cover the entire south of the continent way up into the tropics hence the cold nights. In the west we are already right under the high. It will take over a week for the high to clear.

Best regards

Tyrone

Its been cold, down to 4C but the lipstick is still looking good. Almost reached 20C today.

Mike

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

Mike you're under the same subtropical ridge as us. Central pressure peaked at 1034hPa over us. We went down to 2.9C this morning and got to just over 20C today. Tonight down to 3C then back up to 20C again.

Forecast for Thursday

Fine and sunny. Light SE/NE winds.

Precis: Fine and sunny.

City: Min 3 Max 20

Mandurah: Min 7 Max 18

UV Alert: 11:50 am to 1:00 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 3 [Moderate]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain:

Hills:

Friday Fine. Min 4 Max 20

Saturday Fine. Min 4 Max 21

Sunday Fine. Min 4 Max 21

Monday Fine, partly cloudy. Min 7 Max 20

Tuesday Fine. Min 9 Max 21

Wednesday Few showers. Min 10 Max 17

Best regards

Tyrone

Getting cold here again these past few days. 12.3deg C last night.... Hhmmm

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I don't mind winter, except for the cold temperatures. :hmm:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Its the Gray Nomads that really irritate me ... damn conveys of them just tootling along , with the zimmer frames strapped to the back of the bloody monstrous Winnebago's.

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Ari,

If it got down to 12 C here there would be frozen dead bodies lining the streets.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Michael,

Here too... there are literally heaps of Victorian & Tasmanian on the road this time of the year. I guess I can't blame them for wanting to be here....lol.

Don,

We are not quite equatorial, so we still get cold (freezing for us...) nights... Besides, we are 35km inland.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Yesterday we had a clear sky and 22C. A Brisbane winters day. A bit cold at night and down to 3.8C, but going for low twenties today as well. It so blue and bright outside and just reminds me of a July Brisbane day from when I was over there in 07. We're meant to have a spell of this low twenties weather until Wed night when a cold front moves through and we get rain again. Nights will be warmer though.

Only 4 weeks of winter to go. We're 67% done with winter. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Hehehe Forecast is for 65mm (80%) tomorrow, go figure-It decides to rain when the Springboks are playing the All Blacks here! Oh well beggars cant be chosers!

Garden really needs some rain, the hose just isnt cutting it anymore and palms are looking a little ratty.

Cheers

Dennis

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

The rains back again. After clear days around 21C, we're to have a bit of rain but still be around 20, 21C, before dropping back to high teens. Tonight is forecast to be a warm and rainy 13C. It makes a change from the clear nights and 4C we've been having.

Best regards

Tyrone

The rains back again. After clear days around 21C, we're to have a bit of rain but still be around 20, 21C, before dropping back to high teens. Tonight is forecast to be a warm and rainy 13C. It makes a change from the clear nights and 4C we've been having.

Best regards

Tyrone,

Spring is sprung here I think. 3 nights in a row without the heating. Today I had to use the a/c in the car. The sun is getting a bit of a bite into it. (as my burnt nose will testify) and most of the palms have sent up or are starting to send up new spears. I have been on a planting rampage this week, its just so dry here that I was spending all my time hosing the potted plants. The ground has turned back into concrete so its chip away bits with the pick, flood, wait, chip away again. Many empty bags of compost, fertilizers and gypsum are piling up, as are the empty boxes of painkillers !! On the plus side I dont think I have ever had this many empty pots to refill.

Peachy

27.35 south.

• 3 weeks later...

At 6am today it is an extraordinary 22c in Sydney - 12 c above average. This is at Observatory Hill, near the Harbour Bridge.

Most of the inland suburbs have less remarkable readings from 10c to 15c.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

At 6am today it is an extraordinary 22c in Sydney - 12 c above average. This is at Observatory Hill, near the Harbour Bridge.

Most of the inland suburbs have less remarkable readings from 10c to 15c.

Wow. Someone has really broken the weather machine now. That's warm to hot for winter at 33S. Expect anything this year weather wise. It could get bumpy. :(

Best regards

Tyrone

The last day of winter today. Yaeeeeeee.

Time for a celebration.

But it's still winter weather outside. :(

Tyrone

What winter??? It has been HOT and STICKY over the weekend, and today. The build up is here.... MANGO MADNESS soon...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

After a week of steaming hot weather, an equally warm weekend too, monday night was so cold (2c) I had to get up and put on warm nightwear and a second doona. It also was the ruination of one of my Johannesteijmannia altifrons and my new Verschafelltia......will I ever get to grow one of those damned things ?? Tomorrow is supposed to be rain, I really hope so as its awfully dry here and I have spent half my days outside hand hosing and not actually acheiving anything.

Peachy

27.35 south.