IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter in the south

Tyrone

The next few days are going to be like the insides of a washing machine on spin cycle using cold water. :(

TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST

SEVERE WEATHER WARNING

for Widespread Damaging Winds with Locally Destructive Gusts

For people in the Lower West and Southwest Districts and adjacent parts of the

Great Southern and South Coastal Districts, including the Perth Metropolitan

area, Mandurah, Bunbury, Busselton and Albany.

Issued at 4:55 pm on Friday 26 June 2009

A strong cold front has moved through the Southwest District and is expected to

extend to remaining parts of the warning area, including the Perth Metropolitan

area, during the evening. Widespread damaging winds to 100 kilometres per hour

are possible and may result in damage to property. In isolated areas locally

destructive gusts in excess of 125 kilometres per hour may cause significant

damage or destruction of property. Thunderstorms and heavy rainfall are also

possible with the passage of the front.

Conditions are expected to ease overnight but showery and windy weather should

continue ahead of the passage of a stronger cold front late Saturday afternoon

and evening.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Weird weather seems to be the order of the day. It poured yesterday and was freezing but today was warm and sunny. At least I got a few things planted and did some much needed weeding and mulching.The forecast said storms for this afternoon but fortunately they haven't eventuated. My favourite palm of all, my verschafelltia splendida is having a near death experience and I am worried sick about it. Growing perfectly one day and a floppy mess the next !! (insert expletive of choice here) A childhood in Zim Dennis, so I don't think that qualifies me as an expat because wild horses couldnt drag me back there these days.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Peachy, I'm sorry to hear about your V splendida. I once had one in a heated hothouse next to my lipstick palm. They both did well until scale attacked the V splendida to death. I didn't realise it was covered until it was too late. I've heard that they die at 7C, so I haven't bothered with that species again. It's just out of my league here, but I'd love to grow one if there was any chance that I could.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Don't worry.... even us in the tropics can kill V. splendida quite easily.... Mine was doing very well in a pot, getting acclimatise before I plant it to a semi shade position.. It was fine one day and then all of a sudden it started browning off and died. Not sure why.. as it didn't get direct sun and I watered it every day. So, there.... the moral of the story with this guys... you have to buy more than 1!!

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I've just gone for a quick walk (clamber) through the back part of my garden during the break in the rain and it's quite depressing. We had an insanely windy night lastnight, and branches are down from my big eucalypt squashing lots of stuff. Also I haven't been bothering to clean up the storm damage from the last fortnight so it's all piling up everywhere. We just haven't had a decent break in the weather to bother cleaning up, because the next storm front will bring down more large branches. I had another frond ripped off of my Cuban Royal at the petiole and it's under quite a bit of canopy too. We're going for another day of 80-100kph winds, so there's no point trying to fix anything up yet. :(

Tyrone

Ouch.... Tyrone. I know how it must feel for you... I hope the damage is not as bad as you thought at first...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Thanks Ari. The damage won't be so bad I think. It's just a mess that I have to spend a weekend cleaning up. Actually my giant bamboo stands are constantly saving things underneath. Big branches often get caught in the bamboo and they just take the force and slowly lower them to the ground.

The good news is this weekend is meant to be fine weather around 20-21C.

This arvo I went for a quick walk down to the compost heap and the area under the tree felt brighter than normal, like a fair bit of foliage is missing and the light is getting to the understory more than usual. I was watching the gum tree get all it's branches and foliage blown to one side almost. It never ceases to amaze me how it all stays more or less together, and doesn't snap into a million bits in the wind, when my nextdoor neighbours shade sale rips in half and the thick 6 inch metal poles holding it into the ground all get bent. The gumtree just bends a bit and lets the odd branch go flying. Amazing.

This wind isn't going to let up until tomorrow arvo. :(

Best regards

Tyrone

It's on it's way here Tyrone.

"An intense low pressure system south of Western Australia is moving steadily eastwards. An associated cold front will move over the Bight tonight and will enter western Victoria Tuesday afternoon and then slip away to the south Tuesday night. Northerly winds will strengthen ahead of the front, reaching gale force at times over the southwest of the State by early Tuesday morning and extending to remaining eastern areas during the day.

Damaging winds averaging 60 to 70 km/h with peak gusts around 110 km/h are forecast for the Alpine Areas, Western, North Central and Central forecast districts and parts of the Wimmera, West and South Gippsland, East Gippsland and Northeast forecast districts."

At least there's some rain attached to it. Might get up to 50mm of the wet stuff during the week. Doesn't sound like a lot to some I am sure, but we will take whatever rain is on offer.

Regards

Michael

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

Michael,

Are you still home? I thought you would be somewhere else for a few months??

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Michael,

Are you still home? I thought you would be somewhere else for a few months??

Hi Ari,

Long time no talk ! Yes...still braving the cold, although the frequent trips to Indonesia break that up nicely. Back over there again in 10 days or so. Sounds like a lot of my fellow Victorians are up around Darwin, so I won't add to the crush !! Haha.

(you have me thinking....I really should post my travel pics from the gardens at Bogor in Indonesia...........)

All the best,

Michael.

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

I've just gone for a quick walk (clamber) through the back part of my garden during the break in the rain and it's quite depressing. We had an insanely windy night lastnight, and branches are down from my big eucalypt squashing lots of stuff. Also I haven't been bothering to clean up the storm damage from the last fortnight so it's all piling up everywhere. We just haven't had a decent break in the weather to bother cleaning up, because the next storm front will bring down more large branches. I had another frond ripped off of my Cuban Royal at the petiole and it's under quite a bit of canopy too. We're going for another day of 80-100kph winds, so there's no point trying to fix anything up yet. :(

Tyrone

A huge roystonea branch came down here overnight too. Usually they hit the garden bed and mangle whatever they hit but this one moved out a bit and clobbered poor old Tojo's Revenge. Oh well another dent in the car adds character I guess. There is another that landed on the house roof about 6 months ago and dangles tantalizingly but completely out of reach. Poor Verschafelltia Splendida is now Verschafelltia Croakitiana. 90% of the palms here began residency as not quite but near enough, to whatever I really wanted to get. They do fine but anything I really love and got THE one without compromising seems to cark it everybloodytime, even tough things like my Butia Capitata is about to give up the ghost. There probably is a message for me in all of this somewhere but I am too stupid or obtuse to see it.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Sounds like a lot of my fellow Victorians are up around Darwin, so I won't add to the crush !! Haha.

(you have me thinking....I really should post my travel pics from the gardens at Bogor in Indonesia...........)

All the best,

Michael.

One more wouldn't make that much difference :winkie:

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Nasty winds were here in the WA Goldfields over the past couple of days with gusts upto 70kph. Nothing drastically damaged in my gardens, but annoying when big palms in containers blow over crushing delicate plants beneath.

Been rather cool yet mild as of late. A week ago it did drop to -1C here, probably one of the coldest nights. Slight damage to a nice big Pritchardia hillibrandii I recently bought and the bottle palm has brown on 60% of the older fronds.

Roll on spring!

Michael, I hope you get some decent rain from the system, and I hope you don't get too much wind. In my area we were gusting above 85kph for a long while. It's much calmer now, but cool and dreary.

Lee, I'm sorry to hear about your cold weather damage. Bottles don't like it once it drops below 2C. You'll have to keep it protected. I think the Pritchardia should handle the cold OK, but I thought they were more cold hardy than minus 1C.

So far we've been lucky on the coast and have not had anything below 3.4C, but we're going for a fine spell at the beginning of July and if we're going to get some radiational cold events soon, it will happen then.

Best regards

Tyrone

Nasty winds were here in the WA Goldfields over the past couple of days with gusts upto 70kph. Nothing drastically damaged in my gardens, but annoying when big palms in containers blow over crushing delicate plants beneath.

Been rather cool yet mild as of late. A week ago it did drop to -1C here, probably one of the coldest nights. Slight damage to a nice big Pritchardia hillibrandii I recently bought and the bottle palm has brown on 60% of the older fronds.

Roll on spring!

Your bottle palm will soon come back as good as new.....believe me they are a lot tougher than people think. Mine survive a dozen minus degree nights every winter and even recovered from a nasty black frost once. There are a few fully grown ones around here too and they dont seem to suffer any damage at all once they grow up. With Pritchardias, the lou lou palm (P.Affinis) will take very cold temps with no or very minor damage. The cold hardiness index lists them as -2C so you can safely add a couple more degrees of cold to that. Mine has been in for 5 years and survived the worst nature can throw at it.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Hey Guys

Peachy-Ha a When-we, I wouldnt blame you for not wanting to head back to see uncle Bob. Good palm weather up there though!

Well it was nippy this morning but still in double figures (9.4c!) The air is dry and the sun has that dull winter look to it. We had 3 days of strong SW winds only damage came to the broms that were blown off a raised area. Supposed to hit 23c today...

Every passing day takes us to Spring!

Cheers

Dennis

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

25C here for the next couple of days...too nice to be stuck inside the office. Still, I won't breathe easy until mid August.

Didn't win the $90 million Oz lotto tonight, so back to work tomorrow I guess.

Tyrone, I saw the news footage from Perth...that wind looked pretty bad!

Peachy, just how cold does it get at your place?

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Everyone, it's July now. One month down, 2 to go, and the days should start to get noticably longer very soon. :)

Come back warm weather!!!!! :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Not looking forward to it, Tyrone... I know I am weird. It would be better if we can skip what you call Spring all together. Spring here means BUILD-UP, where is humid and hot without rain (well, storm in the afternoon - if I am lucky). I like wet season... well I guess we can't have wet season without the build up (sigh...).

p.s. how is the damage? I hope it is not too bad..

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Had some great warm weather in the last few days, got up to 25C not bad for the middle of winter. Today its strong winds and sunny, fortunately Iam sheltered mostly from the SW winds so my garden will be warmer than the offical temps for the day. In acouple of days the winds will shift around to the SE and probably bring rain which will not be good.

Cheers

Mike

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

Well it was a sunny 21C today and I did a big clean up in the garden this weekend. I made two compost heaps with all the leaves and small branches that came down. I had a few 20ft long branches come down and cause a mess. But overall the only damage was two large Cuban Royal leaves ripped off at the trunk, some damage to my Abysinian banana, a collapsed Musa banana, and I was able to save my Raphia from a large branch landing on it. I've got to do some repairs to one of my shadehouses. It's a bit battered.

Tomorrow the rain returns, with some strong winds later in the week. I wonder what more will fall out of my Eucalyptus. The canopy is looking much thinner now.

Best regards

Tyrone

Here on the southern side of the Amazonian equator the rains have finally tapered off and our dry, hot season has been setting in. It is nice to see things dry out somewhat. In southern Brazil it has been cold though, with frost in the higher elevations.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Freezing again.... it was 13deg minimum yesterday and 14 today. This year definitely has been funny. The temperature has been up and down like mad... Last week, it was warm. Things have started growing again even though it was still dry :blink: . The garden doesn't know what it is going on...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I saw Cairns had a forecast of 12-25C the other day. That's freezing that far north. The Lipsticks may be a tad unhappy. I wonder what areas like Mission Beach were.

Best regards

Tyrone

Strong cold wind here most of last week, but the windbreak plantings finally seem to be having an effect and it was reasonably calm down at ground level. August is usually the coldest month for me and thats when the frost risk is greatest. Had more frost in the park opposite last few days but still it hasnt risen any higher and hopefully it wont. Only 21 yesterday, which could have been nice if it werent for the wind making things much colder. I have replaced the verschafelltia and hopefully the new one will be more appreciative of my maternal nuturing. A lot of garden and deck plants are still growing with new spears popping up on many things. I guess the plants dont know what is going on either. My big 'dunno what it is but it flowers' tree has small bunches of yellow trumpets on it now, although it doesnt usually flower till late october. Who knows ?

Peachy

27.35 south.

Last night was the coldest so far getting down to 4C in the garden. Its alittle after 3pm and its 15C, overcast so maybe it wont be as cold tonight.

Mike

July started off a little crappy with last week Thursday and Friday being our coldest mornings so far (6c), the days werent that great either being windy and chilly....However since Sunday we are back to our usual winter pattern-warm days and clear nippy nights. Lowest temp this week was this morning at 8c! Still no rain! Some of the palms are taking strain, Hydriastele and some Pinangas I am assuming from those two cold mornings!

Only 50 odd days to Spring....

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Last night it was 11.5deg. I wonder whether we would crack the single digit this year... Cold enough!! BTW, Tyrone... my lipsticks are still good..

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

40mm of rain overnight on a already saturated ground, when will it stop! It was 8C in the garden when I got home from work last night. Lipstick still alive believe it or not. My large coconut is black spotting more than it has in the past.

Cheers

Mike

While we havent been getting our usual quota of sub zero nights this year, the number of cold daytime temps are way above normal. It hasnt been above 19c here for a week. So far nothing is suffering but if these cold winds continue I am sure some things will start to succumb. Myself among the forerunners of succumbees

Peachy

27.35 south.

40mm of rain overnight on a already saturated ground, when will it stop! It was 8C in the garden when I got home from work last night. Lipstick still alive believe it or not. My large coconut is black spotting more than it has in the past.

Cheers

Mike

I hope you don't get any damage. Hurry up Spring.!!!!

Best regards

Tyrone

Another night of 11deg. Hhmm.. it makes me wonder whether this is the worst of it??

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

This morning got down to our coldest morning of the year...so far...5.5c, can I still say thats double figures!?

I reckon saturday morning is going to be similar as yesterday and today we have berg winds (hot dry winds from the interior that dry the cr@p out of everything)

Cheers

Dennis

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Another 50mm of rain last night, though the sky was clear as I was coming home from nightshift. Temp in the garden in the morning was 6C got to about 18C during the day. Total rainfall for the last week is about 100mm when will it stop!!

Tyrone I hope the damage is light and Iam keeping my fingers crossed that we dont have record cold nights like last winter.

Lipstick still looks fine under its small enclosure. The roots must be close to or in the heated pond, can't think of any other reason why its still alive.

Cheers

Mike

Mike, I think you're getting our rain. I'm glad everything is still looking good.

We've had some good rain, and the last couple of days it's taken a rest. Yesterday was a sunny 17C, overnight 5.4C. We're going for a few cold nights and clear days with mins down to 3C then by Thu back to the rain which according to weatherzone will last for 28 days straight, then it will almost be spring. My frangipani still has flowers and leaves on it, and the Jacaranda's still haven't shed their leaves yet.

Best regards

Tyrone

Great day today with sunshine, no wind and 20C, life is good!!!

Cheers

Mike

We had a good Sunday-26c and just as evening came the clouds rolled in and we finally got some rain. A balmy 16c was our min....today is another lovely winters day!

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Warming up today... and humid too. Nice for the garden.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

It went down to 2.2C this morning. The coldest so far this year. Tonight could be similar. The days have been bright and sunny although still a bit on the nippy side with max's around 17C. From about now until the beginning of August is our coolest time of year according to the long term stats.

Best regards

Tyrone

1.5C this morning. Warming up tomorrow with a max around 19-20C, then rain for a while and warmer nights. So this could be the lowest it'll get this year. I'm hoping. :)

Best regards

Tyrone