IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter in the south

Tyrone

Well we all hate this season, but how is it going in your part of the world.

We started with a 26C day, then the next we had thunderstorms and some heavy rain then it cleared by noon and got to 24C. This morning I woke to a cloud forest in my garden, with mist and thick fog in the canopy and water condensing and running off everything. The palms are springing open new leaves everywhere.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Sounds great, Tyrone. If El Nino develops this year it will reduce rainfall for Australia.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Sounds great, Tyrone. If El Nino develops this year it will reduce rainfall for Australia.

Happ, we actually need the rain.

El Nino (Pacific ocean temp oscillations) only seems to affect the east coast of Oz as far south as NSW. The west coast and southern parts of Oz like Vic and SA seem to be more affected by the Indian Ocean dipole.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Not bad here, coldest morning so far 11c, this morning lovely at 16c. The days are warm and sunny at a constant 24-27c. Only problem is we havent seem rain for a month and I dont expect any more until September. Humidity is low and everything is drying out quickly, so I am dragging the hose again.....oh well it could be worse!!!

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Dennis, you sound like you're going to have a lovely warm winter. You must be in USDA zone 15 hey??? :D

Best regards

Tyrone

Hey Tyrone!

Well this morning was cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass-monkey! 9c at the bottom of the garden and humidity was very low. I reckon tonight will be much the same with clear skies and no wind. Hows Perth shaping up for the weekend?

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Here's our forecast for the next few days.

Forecast for Friday evening

Fine. Moderate S'ly winds.

Precis: Fine.

Forecast for Saturday

Fine. Light SE'ly winds, shifting S/SW in the afternoon.

Precis: Fine.

City: Min 5 Max 20

Mandurah: Min 11 Max 19

UV Alert: Nil , UV Index predicted to reach 2 [Low]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: NOT RATED

Hills: NOT RATED

Sunday Fine. Min 4 Max 20

Monday Fine. Partly cloudy. Min 5 Max 21

Tuesday Fine, cloud increasing. Min 7 Max 23

Wednesday Few showers. Min 9 Max 21

Thursday Few showers, easing. Min 8 Max 19

Friday Fine. Min 5 Max 19

Not so bad for here in June. We normally average 8Cmin to 18Cmax for June so the forecast isn't so bad. It's a bit cold at night but my Golden Dwarf Malay is still growing.

Best regards

Tyrone

Hello Tyrone is this the coldest month of the year in oz or is that july

thanks

uk home: z9a 750mm/30" annual rainfall

no extreme high/low average generally remain cool and gets some hot weather but only for a short amount of time, average 23C summer high.

In winter temperatures dont dip very much but dont recover in the day so the average high and average low are seperated by only a few degrees

pk home: z10a/b 900mm/35" annual rainfall (mainly in monsoon season 2-3 months)

AHS heat zone 11/12. No frost

coldest month average low/high:

2008 3.7C/17.3C, 2007 4.6C/21.4C, 2006 5.9C/20.3C, 2005 4.1C/23.1C

hottest month average low/high:

2008 23.6C/37.8C high of 41.8C, 2007 25.5C/38.7C high of 47.2C, 2006 25.6C/40.3C high of 45.5C, 2005 28C/42.2C high of 47C

Record high:48C

Record low -3C

Been rather mild down here so far 10,11 c overnight last 2 days . We have had more rain in the last 2 weeks than in 6 months last year .

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Hello Tyrone is this the coldest month of the year in oz or is that july

thanks

July is marginally cooler by about 0.5C roughly. The first two weeks in July are statistically the coldest for my area, where we are most likely going to get a 14C maximum during the day. After July it gradually starts to warm up with extreme cold events less likely.

Best regards

Tyrone

It's getting way too cold here from tonight, down to single figures. Got to bring the babies in pots under cover.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal, Don't you hate those high pressure zones? They bring lovely weather in the day, but once the sun goes down, brrrrrrrrr.

What's your most tender thing you're growing?

Best regards

Tyrone

Tomorrow will be cold (14c) and sunny with westerly winds. Snow down to 800m on the ranges.

Potentially the best day of the year :) (not that I would want it too often)

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

Absolutely horrid here this week in Melbourne. Overnight lows around 4C to 7C (depending on where in Melbourne you are.....luckily I get the "warmer" 7C...) and highs of 13C-14C for the week. Very strong, gusty wind.....feels like it's straight in from the Southern Ocean.... :blink:

My smaller "sensitive" stuff in pots are currently in the laundry next to the hot water unit.... :huh:

Can someone push "fast forward" on Winter please ??

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

Can't complain... still above 30 with 50% humidity during the day... Pleasant really. We had a few nights of under 20, but we haven't had any single digit just yet. No wonder there are lots of Victorians and Tasmanians in town.... :winkie:

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Got to a sunny 23C today. Tonight around 11 or 12C and tomorrow rain with 22C. Then the maxs get a bit less to about 18C then go up back to 22C by next week and cold nights around 4C when the next high comes in. The coconut is still growing.

Best regards

Tyrone

From the local Melbourne paper this morning:

"Hail, rain and driving winds have hit Melbourne's suburbs and there's another "viciously cold" night to come, the Bureau of Meteorology says.

As the mercury dropped to below 1 degree in city's south-eastern suburbs, roads were covered with hail.

The winter chill is coming from a front moving quickly from the Southern Ocean.

"We've actually had so much hail it's actually whitened the streets a few times and we've had temperatures right down to 0.9 degrees in Dandenong," Bureau of Meteorology forecaster Bill Scherek said.

At 7.30am, the temperature sat at just 6.8 degrees, and the cold is set to endure for the next few days.

"The most notable thing is how viciously cold it's going to be overnight, we're expecting widespread severe frost in the north to the north-east and we're expecting frosty conditions over most of the state," Mr Scherek said.

"We've had reports of snow at Trentham and the Dandenongs and we've had 25 millimetres (of rain) here in suburbia."

"Tomorrow will start of similarly with some showers particularly in the eastern part of the state and another cold start for Friday morning.

"The most extreme forecast might be minus 4 degrees in Wangaratta tomorrow and Friday."

Cold, wet, windy conditions are forecast for Melbourne until at least Monday."

At least it's raining I guess !!! :mrlooney:

Miccles, how are your foxtail and redneck faring?

Best regards

Tyrone

Hi Tyrone,

Hmmm.... they seem to be OK for now. The foxtail leaves are an olive-green colour...but that is better than brown I guess !!

I am prepared to lose the D.leptocheilos, as it might give up the fight this winter. I have a better one in a 10" pot (in the relative safety of the pergola).

It got a maximum of 9C here today......sheesh. Better bring some more stuff into the laundry for the evening......

Regards

Michael.

Looks like we are really in the grip of winter as well. Cloudless skies and extremely low humidity...lips are all cracked and falling off...brrrr! The Cyrtostachys gets tucked away every night now.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

I'm tucking nearly everything away in this crappy weather, except MY Cyrtostachys, it can stay planted...about 1500 klicks north of here. :D

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

This has to be the best thread on the Board! Listening to you complain about 75/50F=22/10c when we are sweating our dogs off!

What you look for is what is looking

Yeah, roll on spring, I'm over this winter already! :angry:

I wonder if Mike and Di are confirmed with swine flu yet?

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Yeah, roll on spring, I'm over this winter already! :angry:

I wonder if Mike and Di are confirmed with swine flu yet?

Daryl

say what ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

We've got 3 nights of 3C forecast in a few days. Winter's here when you get that sort of minimum.

Soon the days will be getting longer again. It's a warm night tonight though with a min of 12C, then we dump into the freezer for a while. Stupid winter. :(

Best regards

Tyrone

This has to be the best thread on the Board! Listening to you complain about 75/50F=22/10c when we are sweating our dogs off!

All good things come to an end, and we grow better palms over here anyway. :mrlooney:

It was 13 deg this morning. Freezing for us, Darwinians... :mrlooney: . Yes, the dry season is here, complete with cold night/morning and the tourists...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Thredbo's maximum of -6.4c on Wednesday was the coldest June day ever, beating the previous record of -6c. I'm assuming this was at Top Station (1900m), not the village (1300m).

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

He he, We are looking great for the weekend and going into next week....Hope you guys dont get to nippy.

Durban

Today 14c - 25c

Sat 11c - 25c

Sun 16c - 26c

Mon 12c - 24c

Tues 13c - 25c

Wed 14c - 21c

Thurs 14 - 23c

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by PalmsZA

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Breaking news: Canberra was only 4c maximum today due to the cloud rolling in just as the fog was lifting.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Breaking news: Canberra was only 4c maximum today due to the cloud rolling in just as the fog was lifting.

Wow. Now that's crap weather.

Hmmmm Toasty....I reckon thats death for most palms.

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Hmmmm Toasty....I reckon thats death for most palms.

I dont think I can remember seeing any palm growing in Canberra.

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

Well it's forecast to be a 3C night tonight, and at 9.30pm the official reading is 8C. I think it's going to be the coldest night so far tonight. It's clear, still and starry outside. A typical radiational cooling set-up under a 1027 hPa barometric pressure. Unless the wind picks up or something it could get real cold tonight. :(

Best regards

Tyrone

It got to 3.4C but my coconut didn't drop below 8.5C and actually grew through that night. Is there any stopping this little Cokie?!!!!!! :)

It got up to 21C today and it was warm and sunny.

Best regards

Tyrone

Two below freezing nights last week,a minus 1 and minus 3C in succession. All the babies were safely inside (so I thought) but yesterday I found a couple I had forgotton about (calyptrocalyx hollrungii and drymophoelus oliviformus) sitting beside the big philodendron, both unharmed and thriving. However I think it was a case of good luck more than good management as the big foxtails across the river from here were frost burnt from the same cold spell.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Peachy, you get cold for QLD. How far inland are you?

Best regards

Tyrone

Peachy, you get cold for QLD. How far inland are you?

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone, believe it or not I am 38 klms from the Brisbane CBD !! Places about 15 klms from here really get the deep freeze treatment far more often than I do. I think most of the outer western suburbs here are prone to frosts and freezes.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Hi Peachy, is that 38 klicks west ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

It's amazing what the ocean and a coastal aspect does to your absolute minimum temps. The same would be true 40km inland from Perth CBD. Most of that area is about 300-500m asl and if you're in a valley out there, you'd get frozen solid I'd think.

Best regards

Tyrone