IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Momentous news at BS Man's House!!

BS Man about Palms

Anywho.... for those that have been here, what was done today has been a long time coming!!!!

Heres what you see as you walk upstairs....

post-27-1243897809_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Looking over the half wall to the main bathroom.

post-27-1243897865_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Looking out to the deck, the Ocean and the I-5 in the distance..

post-27-1243897949_thumb.jpg

And lastly looking out the Master bedroom window....

Yep, only took 5 years to get here from start.... :huh::(

post-27-1243898043_thumb.jpg

WOW BILL!!!!

NICE! Great job.

Thanks Burt, but as to this area of the house, my only part is to play the part of "the checkbook".

SWEET! Don't forget to bull nose those corners!

Mike Hegger

Northwest Clairemont

San Diego, California

4 miles from coast

WOW BILL!!!!

NICE! Great job.

Thanks Burt, but as to this area of the house, my only part is to play the part of "the checkbook".

Yes....the most important part. :winkie:

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Anywho.... for those that have been here, what was done today has been a long time coming!!!!

Heres what you see as you walk upstairs....

I was outhere once, and remember the mess,......ah, I mean the beutiful construction going on. A millionaire's home for sure. But after sleeping in the car for two nights Bill, I'm not coming back until the master suite is finished! Or any room for that matter.......

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

what is that white stuff on the walls?

i thought you wanted the studs exposed it was like that for so long!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Wow, what a change from a few days ago. Very cool Bill, looks like they are making some good progress.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

I'm speechless. Oops I spoke.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

And lastly looking out the Master bedroom window....

Yep, only took 5 years to get here from start.... :huh::(

:lol: See what happens when you complete palm addiction rehab, you start wasting money on home improvements! Wow, and you don't even have a NAG digging in her spurs! :lol:

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

When's the party? I will bring the Cheese Puffs.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I agree!

Let's party, cheese doodles, sushi, pollo frito, musical instruments and plenty of lampshades, but not necessarily for lamps . . . . . :)

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Great stuff Bill. What texture are you going with? Cabinets will be coming soon. I'm ready any time you are...

more palms, less bombs!

Thanks for the mostly :D kind comments folks... I have to admit I'm really smilin heavy and approaching screaming run down the street as Dave would say each time I look at the end of the day....

Bob- It will be the smooth finish, I believe skip trowel?

Heres the look GOING to the upstairs. (They started at the top and are working down) The two red dots on the wood you see in the first post would be right above the blue switch box to the right at the top of the stairs in this picture.

post-27-1243992224_thumb.jpg

This is on the first floor looking east, the stairs would be just to the right of the round window.

post-27-1243992522_thumb.jpg

And then if I move about 8 feet to the west and then look to the South West, I see this...

post-27-1243992646_thumb.jpg

Not quite the shot I wanted but, this is me standing next to the round window looking now to the Southeast. I guess the palm frond shadow thru the window is cool though.

post-27-1243993140_thumb.jpg

And finally, a taste of the Master/upstairs bathroom. Shower to the right.

Garage is next..

post-27-1243993238_thumb.jpg

I'm speechless. Oops I spoke.

You didn't speak, you typed.

Oh, and congrats Bill.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Nice door in post #19. Looks like you're going all Frank Lloyd Wright on us. :)

• Like 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Nice door in post #19. Looks like you're going all Frank Lloyd Wright on us. :)

If I could afford it I'd do it. Or better yet, my dream home would be a mixture of the best of Craftsman and Art Deco.....

Scott would love to have that round windows..... as we have a curve roof....lol. But the builder was getting difficult and he talked himself out of it!! Now, he regretted the day that he did that...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

And finally, a taste of the Master/upstairs bathroom. Shower to the right.

Garage is next..

Where's the flush throne? I heard the triplets are tired of pinching in buckets! :)

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

Looking great Bill. Your house has the clean lines for the art deco look. (any where to put glass blocks?) I might have to swing by again on my way home from work and check it out in person (of course if you are home).

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Bill, that palm frond in the window gave me an idea. If you want to add a palm graphic to one of those round windows in 'etched glass' looking vinyl it will be very cheap for the material ($10 maybe) and I'll cut it and prep it for you at no cost of course. I created the graphic below to be cut out of metal and inserted into a wooden gate at the old place. Never got around to it though. It's vectored though so I could cut it in vinyl easy peasy.

post-126-1244150208_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Bill, that palm frond in the window gave me an idea. If you want to add a palm graphic to one of those round windows in 'etched glass' looking vinyl it will be very cheap for the material ($10 maybe) and I'll cut it and prep it for you at no cost of course. I created the graphic below to be cut out of metal and inserted into a wooden gate at the old place. Never got around to it though. It's vectored though so I could cut it in vinyl easy peasy.

That may be cool for the east facing one (instead of a house view) I'll let you know Dr Matt. Thanks!

Woo Hoo!!! I tried to pick the outside color for the "woo hoo", we'll see if its close. (Hey, thats close to the final outside color- Actually about halfway between the woo hoo and the happy face color is about it!)

The wallboard is HUNG! Inspection tomorrow, then tape and texture.. :D

Heres looking out into my garage. 1,300 feet worth..

post-27-1244160548_thumb.jpg

Heres looking back the other way. Got a suprise visit from Pogobob and family today. He wanted to see the "pinch off" room...and to be my neighbor... :lol:

I think its time to go upstairs and have a Dublin Dr Pepper!!

post-27-1244160734_thumb.jpg

YAY!!! I just passed the wallboard inspection. Next step is final. I'm a skeered.

thats great!

aren't you supposed to be crawling around in an attic somewhere?

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Not today..

Looking good Bill , cant wait to see the finished result . What is the outside going to be finished with ? Render perhaps ?

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Looking good Bill , cant wait to see the finished result . What is the outside going to be finished with ? Render perhaps ?

Smooth stucco, close to the above "Woo Hoo" color.

Bill - looks great, whens final??

Aloha!

Always looking for "Palms of Paradise"

Cardiff by the Sea 10b 1/2

1/2 mile from the Blue Pacific

WOW!!!! That is an incredible amount of work! I see now why you have a hard time planting anything. Congrats! That is quite an accomplishment and excellent craftsmanship!!!!

LA | NY | OC