IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

phoenix canariensis I tried to save

reggieroo

Hi,

I bought a damaged Phoenix canariensis from the local garden centre that was damaged, the leaves were brown & it was severely pot bound & very dry so I thought as it was cheap I would try & save it. It had one nice big green leaf in the middle so I thought as long as it has new growth it should eventually be fine.

I got it back transplanted it into a bigger pot with plenty of room for the roots & trimmed off all the dead leaves leaving just the lovely new green growth in the middle. As the weeks have been going by the one leaf that is left has been yellowing & now the tips are starting to go brown.

Surly with the new growth it had & the bigger pot it should have been fine but it doesn't look good at all.

A while back I also bought a damaged Trachycarpus fortunei from the same place in the hope of saving it but that has gone the same.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

I would guess that the palms you bought were already dead. Some palms take a long time to look dead, well after they already are.

Also, trimming anytthing can be a chancy problem as well. A plant, already stressed, probably should not get such an operation.

Just my two cents.

Did you water the plant at all before you started the transplant? If anything, when I get any plant that is extrememly dry, I would water it and wait for a while (a couple of days, anyway) to see what happens. If the already dry roots are exposed to air, the problems for this palm increase.

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

I would guess that the palms you bought were already dead. Some palms take a long time to look dead, well after they already are.

Also, trimming anytthing can be a chancy problem as well. A plant, already stressed, probably should not get such an operation.

Just my two cents.

Did you water the plant at all before you started the transplant? If anything, when I get any plant that is extrememly dry, I would water it and wait for a while (a couple of days, anyway) to see what happens. If the already dry roots are exposed to air, the problems for this palm increase.

I watered it after I transplanted it, I did check the roots & they weren't as dry as I thought they would be but the soil was bone dry.

I don't think I'll be buying any more damaged plants from the nursery as this is the third one now that hasn't done so well.

So if the leaves have started to go yellow/brown is that mean that its dying or dead?

Edited by reggieroo

Just my two cents.

I watered it after I transplanted it, I did check the roots & they weren't as dry as I thought they would be but the soil was bone dry.

I don't think I'll be buying any more damaged plants from the nursery as this is the third one now that hasn't done so well.

So if the leaves have started to go yellow/brown is that mean that its dying or dead?

Not always, but it is a good indicator. I have had some luck with rescuing palms...but the first step is to hydrate them, always. Most nursery problems are the result of water,mostly too little. The palm nurseries don't usually have this problem, as they specialize in palms and generally know the requirements. Regular nurseries specialize in turnover and plants that are there too long sometimes go into stress as a result.

I do the same thing as you. I try to recover ailing palms (and other things as well). Right now, I have a Livistona australis that has a compromised root system. It is repotted and I had a heck of a time finding a spot where the wind had the smallest effect. I also have a few W. robustas in pots (which will survive through benign neglect) and a few Cycas revoluta. I pain a grand total of nothing for these plants as they were not marketable and would have ended up in the garbage. I also have a long history with these nurseries, which helps. I also have a fairly nice count of bamboos in pots that were nearly dead from some other nurseries, for which I paid a pittance.

Let's face it, I'm cheap but confident that I can save some plants to compensate.

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Well I've done it again, was in the local supermarket & bought a CIDP for £1, did what you said & just watered it for now.

Put a post here for some advise click here

Edited by reggieroo

• 7 months later...

Hi regeroo, can you update us?

I, for one, am curious. And, don't be embarrassed if things didn't go well. I operate an officially certified Palm Death Camp, or so it seems sometimes . . . . :floor:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Hi regeroo, can you update us?

I, for one, am curious. And, don't be embarrassed if things didn't go well. I operate an officially certified Palm Death Camp, or so it seems sometimes . . . . :floor:

Well It didn't go well, they never recovered or made any progress whatsoever. I was really expecting them to have grown throughout the summer as the centre spear stayed green but nothing happened.

I kinda just then thought they are dead, but still kept them & now the cold spell we have had has well & truly finished them off. Checked them for spear pull & they both had it.

In fact I've come to realise that CIDP are just not suitable for our Winters. I had two other healthy ones that I bought in summer also, one was two big to move so I left it out & that isn't looking very good at all. The smaller one I put in my log cabin & it's fine looking. I was told we had -12 by the neighbours (I was checking too & only seen -5 on the net), we also had snow which had damaged all the leaves on the larger one with the weight. I went out yesterday & cut off the dead leaves & gave the centre a slight tug & it came straight out in my hand :(

The CIDP just don't seem to be hardy at all so I think I'll give up on buying those even though I really like them. I have a Butia capitata that is showing no sign of damage at all, even the leaves are fine with no spotting. From what people had said I was worried about the Butia but it has proved to be very hardy, even hardier than my Chamaerops humilis that have spotting & darkened leaves on every one. I have some Trachycarpus that are also fine as expected but my cordyline australis have not coped very well with the weather going all mushy.