IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal "lisa"

Kailua_Krish

Anyone know where I could get a small one of these?

Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

I don't suppose you want to play around with growing one from seed. If you do, I'll be happy to send you about 30 or so. I've been told 60% of the seeds grow into Lisa palms, but it would take a good 5 years to know for sure.

Jay

Tallahassee, FL USDA Zone 8b

Elevation: 150 ft.

Seeds are great! I'll PM you.

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

• 5 weeks later...

I know this is old, but I have a few questions. I am also interested in getting a sabal lisa if anyone knows where to get one. I am also curious how only 60% of them turn out to be sabal lisa from seeds. I thought these were there own species, not a morph.

downtown,

I believe the lisa variety has twice as many chromosomes which gives it that distinct characteristic.

its not its own species so 100% wont come true to seed(as I understand it)

I would be weary of purchasing a small sabal lisa with strap leaves as the chracteristics are very subtle to almost non existant until mature leaves are formed.

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/