IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

bottle palm in the ground zone 8

GREENHAND

post-59-1243607816_thumb.jpgThis bottle is in the ground in my palm buddy garden in my neighborhood . yes it gets a green house over it in the winter so since it does not get that tall its perfect for the greenhouse until spring. it seems to love the Texas heat. it keeps getting fatter every time i see it. ( PS i might be a little crazy) :mrlooney:
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

That is indeed a perfect specimen. It doesn't have a blemish on it.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Its been in the ground about two years and still growing strong. one of those HD specials 39.00 . i havent seen to many around lately though.

Very envious, but I don't think I can bring myself to do it.

The Home Depot in Garland has a few 7 gals for sale for $49.....not to mention a ton of queens.

I know that HD its right down the street from me.next to Firwheel mall. TGI fridays hasn a great happy hour.!

Ok I'm in for the happy hour... good looking bottle palm for sure. I usually don't like the way they look here in TX but have only seen some in the Rio Grande Valley that seem to be languishing from something, lack of water, care, etc.... hope you can manage to cover it for many winters to come. Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

great looking bottle, very impressive to grow it that nice in your location.

do you have a picture of your protection method?

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Good news is that it will stay small enough to cover in winter for quite some time.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

great looking bottle, very impressive to grow it that nice in your location.

do you have a picture of your protection method?

Its just one of those Walmart plastic 10 by 10 greenhouses with an electric heater, works good!

Push them zones!

Jody

Chilliwack British Columbia

Zone 8/9 until 3 years ago. Now Zone 6b.

Don't even get me started.

Hmm.

Dr. Dave vill zee you now . . . .

"Und, I have ze diagnosis! You're CRAZY, nuts, insane, UND!"

"Ve all luff you for it!"

"Ja!

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Man, I would cry if an ice storm took out the electricity.

If that happens i could rub two sticks together :lol:

You are crazy. Good luck with that. I have been able to keep a bottle growing in the bay area, 9B for a few winters, but it gave in when we had a bad freeze. Of course I used protection but it wasn't enough.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

Nah,not crazy. We all gotta try that. It took me a long time to figure out that there were no cold hardy provinance seeds for Red Latans.. I say keep protecting that one, it looks great.

Jody

Chilliwack British Columbia

Zone 8/9 until 3 years ago. Now Zone 6b.

Don't even get me started.

not crazy do what makes you happy! ,do you have any other palms ?

Nah,not crazy. We all gotta try that. It took me a long time to figure out that there were no cold hardy provinance seeds for Red Latans.. I say keep protecting that one, it looks great.

post-3527-1244342754_thumb.jpg

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

• 4 years later...

Hello,

This topic is great. Does the bottle palm still alive and in ground?

Sincerely.

Jean-Michel

We have quite a few planted at the Dallas Aquarium downtown. They protect them every winter and they are getting really big! I'll plant some pictures of them later on sometime.

That's a great information. Please send pictures when you have time.

Jean-Michel

Edited by zootropical

That's a great information. Please send pictures when you have time.

Jean-Michel

Yes I agree. Please do post some pictures. I'm very interested in understanding where the palms are placed and seeing how they are protected in winter.

• 2 months later...

Up up up!

I am very intrested to see such zone pushing! Any people who get experience and pictures with tropical palms in zone 8 or so are welcome to post here.

Sincerely.

Jean-Michel

I am betting it has already met the fate of all zone pushed palms. Zone pushed palms are like butterflies, fleeting beauties to be cherished for an instant, for soon they shall be gone.

• Upvote 1

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

• 2 years later...

This inspires me.

I read these comments on DG of people doing crazy zone pushing claiming to successfully grow Windmills in Chicago and 9ft ponytail palms and sagos in ground in Connecticut.

Makes me want to be more adventurous in zone pushing for zone 8- would be able to do so much more (like the bottle palm) than a zone 5 or 6. Would need a good protection system though. I'm done with throwing old towels and blankets on at the last minute only to be blown off in the wind.

On 14/10/2013, 4:01:29, _Keith said:

I am betting it has already met the fate of all zone pushed palms. Zone pushed palms are like butterflies, fleeting beauties to be cherished for an instant, for soon they shall be gone.

All we are is dust in the wind...:violin:

1 hour ago, Opal92 said:

This inspires me.

I read these comments on DG of people doing crazy zone pushing claiming to successfully grow Windmills in Chicago and 9ft ponytail palms and sagos in ground in Connecticut.

Makes me want to be more adventurous in zone pushing for zone 8- would be able to do so much more (like the bottle palm) than a zone 5 or 6. Would need a good protection system though. I'm done with throwing old towels and blankets on at the last minute only to be blown off in the wind.

Many people in central- eastern Europe follow already the practice you describe. You can join them and consult them!

On 10/13/2013, 9:01:29, _Keith said:

Gone to the Gloom & Doom of the Death Camp Compost pile. Fodder for the earthworms of Doom.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

On ‎14‎/‎10‎/‎2013‎ ‎12‎:‎01‎:‎29‎, _Keith said:

my I am betting it has already met the fate of all zone pushed palms. Zone pushed palms are like butterflies, fleeting beauties to be cherished for an instant, for soon they shall be gone.

I have had my share of butterflies but for this betelnut it's a true dragon of 20 plus years and still powering on. Will it make it through another winter? I thought last winter was going to do it in but I was wrong. When it comes to zone pushing expect surprises.

IMAG5874.jpg

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

5 hours ago, The Palm Nut said:

I have had my share of butterflies but for this betelnut it's a true dragon of 20 plus years and still powering on. Will it make it through another winter? I thought last winter was going to do it in but I was wrong. When it comes to zone pushing expect surprises.

IMAG5874.jpg

Awesome 

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

• 5 years later...

"Fast growing trees". Sold me a bottle palm. Spent over 100.00. I also bought additives. Amendments. Fertilizer. Followed directions. I'm in zone 10a.

It turned red and died in 30 days.