IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Huge Pythons Invading The Everglades!

palmislandRandy

The local news station reported last night that a 16 foot Burmese pythin was found and killed in Okeechobee, not very far from her. It is a town on the northern edge of the Everglades. They had pictures. The guy shot and killed him. Huge snake!

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Derek, I agree. It is not the right thing at all to kill non-poisioness snakes. They provide some of the best "natural pesticide" in existence. At the same time, when people see large snakes(even non-poisioness), there is a primal urge to kill. It is wrong but it is primal!

What you look for is what is looking

Palm Beach Post reported that the Burmese Pythons have been vastly over estimated and the Glades population is actually closer to 30,000. This notwithstanding the fact a 17 footer was shot today in Okeechobee.

What you look for is what is looking

Palm Beach Post reported that the Burmese Pythons have been vastly over estimated and the Glades population is actually closer to 30,000. This notwithstanding the fact a 17 footer was shot today in Okeechobee.

The Miami Herald had the picture in this morning's newspaper. It had about 7-8 people holding this snake! It weighed 204 pounds and was 17'2" long!! Yikes!

I think this is just the beginning of finding thousands in the near future.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I am starting to think this hysteria about them is overblown--- I have gone down there twice and travelled through all t he areas and havent seen one

The park is regularly knocking them off so it may be a bit better controlled than the hysteria

Best regards

Ed

The park is regularly knocking them off so it may be a bit better controlled than the hysteria

That, and this...

"Thursday’s capture was the fifth since the commission began issuing the permits on July 17"

...would seem to indicate that there might indeed be a problem.

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

Derek, I agree. It is not the right thing at all to kill non-poisioness snakes. They provide some of the best "natural pesticide" in existence. At the same time, when people see large snakes(even non-poisioness), there is a primal urge to kill. It is wrong but it is primal!

Probably not the right thing to kill any indigenous snakes, poisonous or not. Best just to steer clear when one can. (Common sense.)

Tom

hardiestpalms.com

Probably not the right thing to kill any indigenous snakes, poisonous or not. Best just to steer clear when one can. (Common sense.)

theres a lot of other collateral damage associated with this. --- I remember walking in one of these conservation areas looking for the pythons --- I walked a couple of miles and saw about 20 large cooter turtles shells --- each one of them had a high caliber bulltet shell in it. What a waist and just wanton distruction of wlidlife.

The only reason I had said anything on this forum was they had a little special on it on NGeo channel --- One fellow had talked about how many hour he had spent and how hard they are to find. 5 snakes in a few weeks isnt really an epidemic ---

Best regards

Ed

theres a lot of other collateral damage associated with this. --- I remember walking in one of these conservation areas looking for the pythons --- I walked a couple of miles and saw about 20 large cooter turtles shells --- each one of them had a high caliber bulltet shell in it. What a waist and just wanton distruction of wlidlife.

The only reason I had said anything on this forum was they had a little special on it on NGeo channel --- One fellow had talked about how many hour he had spent and how hard they are to find. 5 snakes in a few weeks isnt really an epidemic ---

Best regards

Ed

So, you think people hunting pythons are shooting native wildlife too (or instead)? Twenty dead turtles doesn't sound like an accident. I'm pretty much against killing anything, but finding one non-native python every third day might be indicative of a problem - especially if these are in addition to the ones the park is regularly knocking off.

Tom

hardiestpalms.com

Best regards

Ed

So, you think people hunting pythons are shooting native wildlife too (or instead)? Twenty dead turtles doesn't sound like an accident. I'm pretty much against killing anything, but finding one non-native python every third day might be indicative of a problem - especially if these are in addition to the ones the park is regularly knocking off.

Tim,

I think we are talking past each other --- problem yes ---but not equal to the hysteria of the press. 6 months ago there was a state agency saying they would spread north to Va. Used Jan temps to proof this. These snakes are pretty temperature sensistive. There tropical and cant take freezes . People make the most outrageous claims about reptiles --- 150,000 pythons.

I think its a pretty fair bet there is some collateral damage associated with the python hunters ---- look at all the posts on threads about killing Iguanas rattlesnakes etc. Primal desire to go out in the woods to kill something.

Best regards

Ed

I would be willing to bet that the turtles were killed for their meat.

As far as the pythons go, they don't belong there, their disrupting a natural balance, and will only get worse. It's common sense that they'll never eradicate them all either. IMO, they need to be taken out.

Jeff

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

i keep thinking pythons as in "monty python" whenever i see this thread title!

oh,gawd,i crack myself up!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

I would be willing to bet that the turtles were killed for their meat.

As far as the pythons go, they don't belong there, their disrupting a natural balance, and will only get worse. It's common sense that they'll never eradicate them all either. IMO, they need to be taken out.

Jeff

Jeff

Jeff,

I agree. We are loosing turtles to hunters at an alarming rate.

And the pythons are right up there with iguanas. They don't belong here and should be removed by whatever means possible.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Derek - I guess that you never heard of the Maleluca tree in the everglades? :unsure:

We are talking about a species that could upset the natural balance and food chain in the everglades. I believe that is an important issue. :bummed:

Moose

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Moose, Ha Ha, never heard of Maleluca before? Of course I have, lived here my whole life (39 years). What's your point? It's a Exotic species that shouldn't be here. Makes great mulch! However those trees haven't ruined the glades yet , infact, the pest they released into the glades isn't native either and as far as we know it only kills the Maleluca but may find out otherwise. There are thousands of plants & animals that are not native that have existed in our state for century's and haven't destroyed our great state yet. The worst things for the Glades was Man with the building of 41 & I75 which ruined the true flow of the glades. I really doubt the pythons are gonna destroy our state. What makes you think they will destroy the food chain as they eat the same things a gator would eat?

• 5 months later...

Here is the latest on the evolving python scenario in the Everglades: In the Miami Herald it was reported three days ago that the recent long cold front that visited South Florida drove many of the Pythons onto the levies and dykes to catch some rays. A collection was made of the sluggish snakes and a discovery was made. The everglades now has African Rock Pythons. Thet were found on the levies with the Burmese Pythons. A great concern is that the African Rock Pythons are much more aggressive and will eat just about anything. They are known to consume crocodiles in their native lands. Does not forbade well for the more docile american aligator. Egg bearing females were found and it is believed that they are cross breeding with the Burmese cousins. :unsure:

Here is the latest on the evolving python scenario in the Everglades: In the Miami Herald it was reported three days ago that the recent long cold front that visited South Florida drove many of the Pythons onto the levies and dykes to catch some rays. A collection was made of the sluggish snakes and a discovery was made. The everglades now has African Rock Pythons. Thet were found on the levies with the Burmese Pythons. A great concern is that the African Rock Pythons are much more aggressive and will eat just about anything. They are known to consume crocodiles in their native lands. Does not forbade well for the more docile american aligator. Egg bearing females were found and it is believed that they are cross breeding with the Burmese cousins. :unsure:

No comments on this recent development? :blink:

They also found aliens from other planets, even more aggresive than the pythons, and far more creative than the journalist as well. Look out.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

No comments on this recent development? :blink:

This is a major concern for all wild life and human beings. I wish they all would

have died in the freeze, including iguanas, Cuban lizards and any other invasive species.

Thanks for posting

Bayside Tree Farms is located in Homestead Florida USA
(305) 245-9544

• 4 weeks later...

Well with 40 degree temperatures on the coast, the much lower temperatures in the glades should make these guys easy pickin's for the hunters. blink.gif

This is definently a problem, I don't think man can keep them under control unless some serious action is done now.

I say they use some stimulus $ and creat python rangling jobs. I will sign up! :drool:

Check out this article about the Reticulated Python and it hybridizes with the Burmese:

Hybrid vigor is possible!

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/09/090911-pythons-florida-giant-snakes_2.html

Edited by FRITO

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

When half of Grand Canary slides into the ocean and creates a 300 to 500 ft tidal wave, most of S. Florida, and the rest of the Eastern seaboard will be gone. Most of the survivers will be the reptiles. They were here before us and probably will be after we are gone. Yeah, I know, part of California could slide into the ocean too.

Dick

Richard Douglas

• 3 weeks later...

I saw this today. Python hunting season By the way when I was out of town last week a boa constrictor showed up on our front door step in the middle of town. It was ready to come in the house. They are native here. That is the second one that has shown up in the past few years.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

I saw this today. Python hunting season By the way when I was out of town last week a boa constrictor showed up on our front door step in the middle of town. It was ready to come in the house. They are native here. That is the second one that has shown up in the past few years.

dk

Wow, a 5 week or so hunting season. That's aggressive, lol.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Hmm...how does python taste?

-Jonathan

The taste is unknown to me. I guess if you marinade it, it could possibly be quite flavorful. blink.gif

The boots you can make with the skins are really cool! cool.gif

Ron. laugh.gif

A friend of mine (Kenney Krysko) went with a group right at the end of January (when it was cool/cold but sunny so the snakes were out looking for warmth) and they got 14 in one day (which was, by far, the most ever taken in a single day). Two of the group, Kenney and Cat Smith, were featured on the recent National Geographic Channel show about the python invasion in the Glades.

Here's a link to Cat's Facebook page with the pictures from that hunt as well as group shot from her set of photos:

http://www.facebook....0947&id=2019623

post-1263-12681619182751_thumb.jpg

Sarasota, Florida USA (zone 9B) - 1 acre with approx. 91 types of palms & many other plants/trees

My two favorite palms are Teddy Bears and Zombies... zombieteddybear2-compressed.jpg