IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Kentiopsis magnifica. Please show yours!!

BS Man about Palms

Frank, Mat, Jeff and Bo. Excellent!!

I am now convinced they move at a decent speed once reaching large 5 gal size. (2 fronds a year) :D

I wouldn't call that 'decent'.. :rolleyes:

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Frank, Mat, Jeff and Bo. Excellent!!

I am now convinced they move at a decent speed once reaching large 5 gal size. (2 fronds a year) :D

I wouldn't call that 'decent'.. :rolleyes:

Ari, When many of my favorite Big Dypsis and the K.piersoniorum and the P. eckmanii only manage 1 leaf a year, 2 is decent! :lol:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Yes... I have to get some of my 'surprise' big dypsis in the ground this wet... They definitely grow faster in the ground... Otherwise they are almost stagnant in pots (compared to other stuff that grow rampage in my 'rainforest' shadehouse...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Jeff, just be patient - it gets better! Here's a new K. magnifica frond opening up. Right about now! :)

Thanks Bo! I can see why they call it "magnifica"! It will be many many years before I see fronds that size.

Maybe, that size, but you should get the red emerging fronds soon enough...

Joe, I germinated these from seed and every new leaf (since the very first one) has been red. :)

It's just too slow for me.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update. The newer frond to the left opened just 6 weeks ago! Look at that new spear! Maybe 2 1/2 fronds a year??? :D

post-27-1258233067_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 3 months later...

Geez! This guy is getting big! Although the speed has slowed in the winter.

In this pic I am resting my hand on the leaf to the left and my finger is almost touching the spear, best size reference I could manage on short notice... :P

post-27-12670618377502_thumb.jpg

That is doing really well! When I came over on sunday I could'nt believe how green it is for February. Did you get any pics of the whole palm?

San Marcos CA

• 1 month later...

Here's my largest K. magnifica - about two years from germination. I'm not very impressed with this palm so far.

post-747-1256571714_thumb.jpg

Bill, I thought this would be a good thread to document the growth of my largest K. magnifica. It finally opened a new leaf last week, the one before that opened in October! Could this palm BE any slower? :)

post-747-12718200664007_thumb.jpg

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

I just think of it as standard So Cal speed.... :rolleyes: But at least you are getting color! :)

Mine looks to be ready to open in the next week or so, I was hoping to see it hold 5 leaves, but the oldest died off about 2 weeks ago.

Also, it looks my original statement was about right. 4 months for an open leaf in summer, 7 1/2 months in winter.. :lol:

• 2 months later...

"next week or so"... my A**!

2 months later I'm finally at this. But worth the wait. Cool spring I think has slowed stuff considerably on the coast here.

post-27-12771653033799_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 months later I'm finally at this. But worth the wait. Cool spring I think has slowed stuff considerably on the coast here.

Today's the first day of summer, I believe. BTW, are you guys out of the high's of 70-72 and your night time lows of 50's? :D Enjoy that red leaf Bill, you only get two a year.

It is pretty though....

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Today's the first day of summer, I believe. BTW, are you guys out of the high's of 70-72 and your night time lows of 50's? :D Enjoy that red leaf Bill, you only get two a year.

It is pretty though....

Does the sweat in your eyes make it hard to see the red leaves? :blink:

:D

It is pretty though....

Does the sweat in your eyes make it hard to see the red leaves? :blink:

:D

It does. But that red leaf does stand out!

• Like 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Looks better each day. If this weather holds out, should look like this for a couple weeks... :D

post-27-12773402098899_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

More of an overall shot this morning. Palm is just under 6 feet tall from soil to tip.

post-27-1277480854303_thumb.jpg

What's the box for?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I'm ignoring you. Now.

What's the box for?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Not so lucky Len, I'll just haunt you.

Is that a flame thrower palm?

• Like 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

:unsure:

I'm sorry, did someone ask if this was a Chambeyronia? If so, reading lessons are sometimes given to Lo I.Q. individuals for free.

I'm sorry, did someone ask if this was a Chambeyronia? If so, reading lessons are sometimes given to Lo I.Q. individuals for free.

Be nice. Matt has trouble with this plant:

http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1262

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

:angry:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Be nice. Matt has trouble with this plant:

http://www.palmpedia...read.php?t=1262

I was just making sure he had coverage on two sites...Daves garden is next I think.

gopher-yell.jpg

:floor:

Nice colour Bill :greenthumb:

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

I like it!

post-27-12775283244134_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Yep, I will say the continued June Gloom has allowed the red leaf to stay longer. Its growing awfully slow though.

post-27-12779454712101_thumb.jpg

You can see the Basselinea eurostachys/gracilis? pretty well to the left also.

• Upvote 1

• 6 years later...

A bump to say make sure to plant this away from others that can block the sun AND your view of those fronds... currently the only way I see the red is if I'm right under it!!

Here it is about 5 months ago... or less

20160524_165459.thumb.jpg.6be2b59dfd806c

20160524_165524.thumb.jpg.67e653f1808e93

• Upvote 5

image.thumb.jpeg.25ab7dbb64778cf929d2adeQuickly becoming one of my favorites!

• Upvote 5

Jeffry Brusseau

"Cuesta Linda"

Vista, California

• 9 months later...

The down side of planting a bit too close and you find out later.. I now have to look straight up to see the red leaf AND I have to remember to check!!!

20170801_182047.jpg

• Upvote 4

But recently got this little guy to plant in more wide open area near my deck for some "forever" viewing! :) 

20170727_140259.jpg

• Upvote 3

Does it take the sun as well as K. pyriformis?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dave pyriformis is super hardy and will easily take half to 3/4 day sun at your place. The magnifica should take up to half day sun and  do ok too.

• 5 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2009‎ ‎9‎:‎51‎:‎50‎, BS Man about Palms said:

Here it comes about 10 days later... a tease of red begins. . . .

post-27-1243993897_thumb.jpg

What's up with this shadow? :o

• Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

I'm happy man!!

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...
On 6/25/2010 at 10:57 AM, MattyB said:

Is that a flame thrower palm?

Little did we realize Matty's talent to see the future 11 years ago..!!  (As Kentiopsis are now Chambeyronia?)

(Decided to bump due to a Mandrew update elsewhere.. lol)

But I saw my smaller ones leaf yesterday and decided to update! Also in one pic is my Ravenea lakatra in the foreground.

258775650_4361055597354986_2626594470563051294_n.jpg

254361033_581537943125424_140884886235361591_n.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2