IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Kentiopsis magnifica. Please show yours!!

BS Man about Palms

Here is my biggest K. magnifica, planted (in a box, I know, I know) a year ago. I bought this from Jerry/ Dan Andersen about 3 years ago as a big 5 gal. It currently sits in a 20" wooden box. It was wobbly a bit at the base, but piling up the soil and the rocks for support seem to have helped. I think I can pull the rocks by end of summer.

post-27-1243131077_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Here is the cool news I noted today, TWO spears at the same time!! (Although I don't think the two will be upopened together for very long)

post-27-1243131225_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I have a baby, here she is, nearly winter here and it has opened a new leaf, it's a bit eaten here and there by the looks.

post-51-1243137595_thumb.jpg

post-51-1243137555_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Here is a pic of mine just planted this spring. The spear has grown steadily since.

Stevo

post-351-1243145577_thumb.jpg

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

And here is a pic of why we plant it :drool: .

Stevo

post-351-1243145699_thumb.jpg

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Wal and Steve, Great stuff!! Others?

• 2 weeks later...

Here it comes about 10 days later... a tease of red begins. . . .

post-27-1243993897_thumb.jpg

Please. No shadow comments on the above picture... :huh:

Here is one of mine. 25/12/08.

SDC10119.JPG

SDC10121.JPG

SDC10122.JPG

Same palm. I took this picture today. so almost 6 month later.

SDC10762.JPG

Mat.

Excellent Mat!!

June 5th 09

post-27-1244230149_thumb.jpg

never been able to grow this plant in inland Los Angeles.. but here is a nice one in Hawaii's Ho'Olamuhia Gardens

post-426-1244266907_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Like many palms I'm starting to notice as they get some size and in the ground (yes, I said it) they move at a good clip.

This K. magnifica just opened a red leaf June 5th, look at the size of the spear coming..

post-27-1251044938_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

OK, its a bit dark, but I had to snap a pic of the new spear. Thats 3 1/2 months spear tip to spear tip. This baby is MOVIN! :)

Len and I were talkin about them and I think it is at TWO leaves per year now. Although its 4 1/2 months per leaf in summer and 7 1/2 months per leaf in winter! :lol:

Sorry, I see thats a poor pic of the spear....

post-27-1252980273_thumb.jpg

This gives a better Idea of the size. Although it is raised up a bit, that spear tip is about where my neck begins when I stand next to it. :drool:

post-27-1252980452_thumb.jpg

Your Kentiopsis magnifica is a beauty Bill and reaching up to your neck is an already impressive size! :drool: How many years old is it?

Looking forward to the spear opening! :)

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Your Kentiopsis magnifica is a beauty Bill and reaching up to your neck is an already impressive size! :drool: How many years old is it?

Looking forward to the spear opening! :)

I bought it as a big 5 gal palm. But I think its 9 years old?

Thanks Bill! Very probably given it's size :) I wish I could find a 5g Kentiopsis magnifica too,even a 3g for the matter to speed things up...

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

• 2 weeks later...

Heres an update. June 5th fond opening to Sept 28th next frond opening. Thats less than 4 months!!! Also stood next to it for size reference, sorry, always look a little grumpy when I'm concentrating.. :blink:

post-27-1254156958_thumb.jpg

post-27-1254157010_thumb.jpg

"What can I do to make you feel more comfortable today?"

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

That's very impressive Bill, she's away and running now.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

humm, maybe I should get one of these after all. Hadn't actually thought much about it before you guys started showing yours off and then seeing that pic of the one at Ho`omaluhia really caught my eye.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

:blink: OOooooo!

post-27-1254320053_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thanks Wal, yours should get there soon we hope, eh?

Al, do it. You won't regret it. :)

post-27-1254320107_thumb.jpg

Hey Dave, can we pull this one off in Guada La La Habra?

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

Apart from the occasional red leaf, which you can get on a dozen other palms, what is the big deal about this palm ? Seems like a lot of time spent for very little result and the grown specimen isnt anything fantastic. Okay put the ropes away and forget the lynch mob, I was just asking thats all.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Why WOULDN'T you want another type of red-leafed palm? If I stretched that reasoning far enough, I could just go back to planting the Queens and Kings only...they're all just "palms"---right? :blink::):lol:

• Upvote 1

There I go...

My 2nd attempt at growing it and also at posting under the right topic!

post-47-1254454768_thumb.jpg

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

• 4 weeks later...

Here's my largest K. magnifica - about two years from germination. I'm not very impressed with this palm so far.

post-747-1256571714_thumb.jpg

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff, just be patient - it gets better! Here's a new K. magnifica frond opening up. Right about now! :)

post-22-1257396660_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I am so used to things growing fast here... so I don't have patient with this slow ones... We shall see how many years before my seedlings are big enough to plant on the ground :rolleyes: .

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Only fast growing things here are the weeds !!! Oh and maybe my Dypsis ambositrae, that has doubled its size in 5 months.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Frank, Mat, Jeff and Bo. Excellent!!

I am now convinced they move at a decent speed once reaching large 5 gal size. (2 fronds a year) :D

Jeff, just be patient - it gets better! Here's a new K. magnifica frond opening up. Right about now! :)

Thanks Bo! I can see why they call it "magnifica"! It will be many many years before I see fronds that size.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Thanks Bo! I can see why they call it "magnifica"! It will be many many years before I see fronds that size.

Maybe, that size, but you should get the red emerging fronds soon enough...

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24