IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Australia I - Lord Howe

elHoagie

I will be on Lord Howe for 4 nights in October - besides the Mt. Gower hike, what else do you recommend?

The reef and fish in the lagoon are amazing, much more impressive than the couple spots where we visited the Great Barrier Reef. We did the Mt. Gower hike with Lord Howe Environmental Tours, and they gave us a free wetsuit when we combined that with a two-hour snorkeling tour. The tour was really good, they took us to four different spots and the coral was noticeably different at each location. The only bummer was that the water was really cold (even with a wetsuit), and I'm sure it won't be any warmer in October. We also went on 2 or 3 other hikes besides Mt. Gower and they were all really nice.

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Some dude refused to wear the helmet and had to be taken out on a stretcher. Who's dorky now? Just kidding...

I heard they had some pretty agro tour guides on Lord Howe, but flattening a tourist because they wouldn't wear a helmet? Wow, that's hard core!

Our guide was great, although he wouldn't let me get any Leppidorhachis seeds. I was just joking about the helmet thing...

Jack, I was too!

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Your photos are stunning, and make Lord Howe Island a trip I might be able to sell my wife on, combined with an Australia vacation. An easier sell than Madagascar!

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Your photos are stunning, and make Lord Howe Island a trip I might be able to sell my wife on, combined with an Australia vacation. An easier sell than Madagascar!

I'm being pedantic but Lord Howe isle is Australia, just like Coochiemudloo or Goat island. Love to see you Terry, you now have someone local for tips too.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal - Like saying "next time you're in Albuquerque, New Mexico why not swing by and see me in San Diego?" Oh and all the water...

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Say Jack, have any pics with Howea F and Howea B side by side ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal - I thought I had some pics of the two Howeas side by side, but I can't find 'em. I'm starting to worry that days photos got erased by accident...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Wal - I thought I had some pics of the two Howeas side by side, but I can't find 'em. I'm starting to worry that days photos got erased by accident...

Ahh, found it!

post-74-1244344870_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

• 2 weeks later...

Jack,

I was in Australia roughly around the same time you were. For our last weekend, we went to Cairns and had a lovely time in the rainforest and so forth. I had always fantasized about LH, and I almost went over, but for some reason, we just did Cairns. When I was there, I thought I had made the right choice because of the horrible rains they were having in Brisbane....and I thought that LH was being affected by the weather....but judging from your pics you were well east enough and had beautiful days.

I don't regret visiting Cairns, and so all this means is that I WILL visit the land down under one day soon, and when I do I WILL visit LH.

Your pictures have made that an undeniable fact.

Thanks so much.

Manny

This is brilliant Jack.

post-74-1243202849.jpg

Wow! That should be the cover of the next Palms magazine! Excellent photo.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

I somehow missed this thread earlier. Really cool. Great pictures of palms in habitat. Thank you, thank you.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

:drool: now everytime i look at my kentia palm i will think of this paradise and your pictures thank you for this,now i know what mine will look like when it starts to trunk:D

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

Thanks for sharing, Jack. Thoroughly enjoyed it! (A once-in-lifetime trip, as that amazing photo proves.)

• 3 weeks later...

I've just sat back with a glass of red and had a good unhurried look at these pics. Truly amazing pictures that I've enjoyed immensely. Thanks for posting them.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Jack,

That looks like a great trip. The landscape sort of reminds me of the Southeastern Brazilian coastline in the states of Rio and São Paulo.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Looks like an amazing trip! It is at the top of my list.

Jeff Rood

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey Jack, what footwear do you recommend for the hike? I was packing today (and reading your post and other stuff to get amped for it), and I was curious whether good shoes would cut it, or whether I would need full-on hiking boots. I'm hoping I don't need the boots, because of the weight restrictions and the fact they'd be lugged around for three weeks while being worn only once.

Thanks again for the photos.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Hey Jack, what footwear do you recommend for the hike? I was packing today (and reading your post and other stuff to get amped for it), and I was curious whether good shoes would cut it, or whether I would need full-on hiking boots. I'm hoping I don't need the boots, because of the weight restrictions and the fact they'd be lugged around for three weeks while being worn only once.

In one word AMAZING!!! I been to Australia a lot but never made it to Lord Howe, next time for sure.

Great to see kentia in there natural habitat can,t believe it is the same kentia we sell by the truckload here in holland.

thank you

A very nice trip with great pictures to remember it by.....what more could you ask for (other than a few seeds :winkie: ) .....so the tour guide must have run into "palmy" folks before. Did they strip search you for seeds? :lol::hmm:

Any native wildlife on this island? wallabies etc.?

Thanks for the pics.....I think I will use one for a screen saver as well.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Where else are you going, Justin??

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Lord Howe

Adelaide/Barossa Valley

Kangaroo Island

Kuranda/Daintree/Cape Trib

Lizard Island

Sydney

Blue Mountains

We leave on the 16th. Hopefully we'll get decent weather everywhere - its hard to plan when the country is so big and the climate is so varied.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Justin - Sorry for the late reply, thanks to work I don't have much time to spend on Palmtalk anymore :rage:

Anyway, I think you'd probably be ok on the hike with a pair of shoes. Just note that it is VERY steep in some sections, and there are a lot of areas where you climb up and down using ropes. It was relatively dry when we went, but still a little slick in places...

To everyone else - Thank you for all the great comments!!!

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

I always try to tell overseas visitors (before they come) to allocate more time for their visit, and that is not to see or do more but simply to hang out longer at the places they do see, don't rush, take your time. Australia is not like Europe or Asia etc. this is not a normal touristy tourist spot, this is the land down under, where women glow and men plunder. Walk a beach, climb a hill and view the outback, have a picnic under the shade of a coolibah tree, get over to Ari's or Wal's and have a BBQ and a coldie, we'll chew the fat and crap on and slowly watch the sun go down. The best things don't cost a cent here.

Having said that, hope you have a ball Justin.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

He is not going over to my place, Wal... Darwin is not in the itinerary... Maybe next time.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"