IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What's the 'gem' of your palm collection now?

Gbarce

1) Idk, maybe getting smushed plus the wind?  2) I know, I've been buying two of everything thing I see, so many palms my kids already think I'm certifiable, I fear they're planning an intervention to get me out of my jungle! 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, topwater said:

1) Idk, maybe getting smushed plus the wind?  2) I know, I've been buying two of everything thing I see, so many palms my kids already think I'm certifiable, I fear they're planning an intervention to get me out of my jungle! 

Ah, see! That's why I enjoy the childfree life! Only my hubby to judge me! :floor:

• Upvote 3

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

Today's favorite is Dypsis robusta.  I was out of town for a few days and the new leaf opened up beautifully while I was absent.

20170831-104A7398.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

I think my mom's prized palm are her chinese fan palms. 

20170812_110708eee.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Looking for:  crytostachys hybrids, Pseudophoenix sargentii Leucothrinax morrisii, livingstona canarensis

Heres some more of my mom's palms she always tells me she loves the most. She likes the fan ones a lot.

20170901_185701.jpg

20170901_185840e.jpg

20170716_16394e4.jpg

20170812_110751e.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 4

Looking for:  crytostachys hybrids, Pseudophoenix sargentii Leucothrinax morrisii, livingstona canarensis

I visited my rental in Carlsbad today to trim a couple of things, so had an opportunity to shoot a couple of photos.  So today's favorite, after that visit is my Bismarckia nobilis.  Tomorrow's another day and probably a different favorite!

20170903-104A7431.jpg

20170903-104A7430.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 10

On 9/3/2017, 2:25:20, Tracy said:

Tomorrow's another day and probably a different favorite!

Ok... so I changed my mind.  It is this Sabal mauritiiformis today, which I grew from a small 1 gallon plant and thought it would never trunk.  I always enjoyed the color contrast between the underside and tops of the leaves.  When it was small and erupting leaves from the ground, few people would believe me when I said it was a palm and that it would eventually have a trunk.

20170903-104A7449.jpg

20170903-104A7441.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 10

Hello there,

since my Clinostigma samoense`s new leaf is getting longer and longer - I am simply overwhelmed by

its exotic appearance.

001xx.thumb.jpg.91548c78a1828f42cd428d4e

The new leaf is almost 3ft long - I am really looking for its first pinnate one.

best regards -

Lars

PS: My thoughts are at the moment permanently with our palmtalkers in Florida - please stay safe!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

8 year oldCarpoxylon macrospermum.  This particular palm lives on water from my downspout, has survived the winter of 2009-2010 and just pulled thru Hurricane Irma 1 block off the ocean in Satellite Beach.  What is interesting is the grower on Merritt Island had a very low mortality rate for this species in the nursery.  I have had other friends try this palm in 9B with no success.  Can't wait 'til dis buggah really blows up!

IMG_0708.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 5

Well, since my previously mentioned gem is now deceased...I guess my runner up is my Salacca multiflora for now. It's really grown on me, no pun intended. It's a neat plant. Hope I didn't just jinx it, like I must have with my Sabinaria :bummed:

• Like 1

On 9/6/2017, 8:06:33, Tracy said:

Ok... so I changed my mind.  It is this Sabal mauritiiformis today, which I grew from a small 1 gallon plant and thought it would never trunk.  I always enjoyed the color contrast between the underside and tops of the leaves.  When it was small and erupting leaves from the ground, few people would believe me when I said it was a palm and that it would eventually have a trunk.

20170903-104A7449.jpg

20170903-104A7441.jpg

Mauritiiformis is a freakin' epic palm! It is absolutely breath-taking in person. Can't wait until mine gets larger. It's poking along in its young age right now...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hello there,

since we got hit by Typhoon "Talim" ten days ago, one of my beloved (still young) Veitchia joannis is showing

signs of bouncing back to life - a new ring on the trunk...

x1.thumb.jpg.ec03a8385a694af24a32cc7a522

New spears should follow soon,

with best regards -

Lars

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

• 3 years later...

Okay so these armed goons bust into my house and ask again and I guess it’s Teddies again 

B9635CD9-3952-4776-A69F-E3C8A8BD62B7.thumb.jpeg.00f78568829b3d75dfaaa7a6789d8d6b.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 9/24/2017 at 5:53 AM, palmfriend said:

Hello there,

since we got hit by Typhoon "Talim" ten days ago, one of my beloved (still young) Veitchia joannis is showing

signs of bouncing back to life - a new ring on the trunk...

x1.thumb.jpg.ec03a8385a694af24a32cc7a522

New spears should follow soon,

with best regards -

Lars

Holy cow . . .

Keep us apprized!

• Upvote 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

22 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

I guess it’s Teddies again 

I will roll with a different species of Dypsis, although I do appreciate my Teddybears too.  What's not to like about the green recurved leaves on this Dypsis?

20201112-BH3I1808.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Tracy said:

I will roll with a different species of Dypsis, although I do appreciate my Teddybears too.  What's not to like about the green recurved leaves on this Dypsis?

20201112-BH3I1808.jpg

Prestoniana?

13 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Prestoniana?

Oui, si, jawohl and yes.  One of two in my garden.  That is the smaller one, but maybe I will have more little ones someday.

20201112-BH3I1803.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Tracy said:

Oui, si, jawohl and yes.  One of two in my garden.  That is the smaller one, but maybe I will have more little ones someday.

20201112-BH3I1803.jpg

Seems like you have lots of potential seeds.

23 minutes ago, Peter said:

White triangle, flowering for the first time.

Very nice structure.  White triangle = D decaryi x D pembana if I recall correctly?

I agree with Tracy..........so my favorite of the day just happens to be;

Geonoma atrovirens, killer little palm species.

Tim

7B1E6E88-5B16-4B4B-BD7B-1D85B466411B.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Upvote 3

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

On 11/13/2020 at 12:56 AM, DoomsDave said:

Holy cow . . .

Keep us apprized!

Dave,

here are those (actually two!) beauties right now - photo taken 30 mins ago.

01vj.thumb.jpg.a34ff839ea1594a90e31d8b6a9daeb6b.jpg

Bounced back completely and are a great joy everytime I look at them. Veitchia joannis

are a great 'gem' definitely but at the moment B) another one is ranking up rapidly...

01bn.thumb.jpg.a8fdea8eba73cd255583b41b8f056259.jpg

I cleared a whole spot just for this fella - a seed grown bizzie I planted out almost two

months ago...

02bn.thumb.jpg.ebea280fbf04ea50d2a7414b38ef888f.jpg

...and right now - photo taken moments ago, too. It seems that it is adjusting itself

pretty well to its new spot/home and starts to feel comfortable. :wub:

best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Boy, that certainly isn’t a palm you hear of let alone see. Nice growing Max.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

5 hours ago, realarch said:

Boy, that certainly isn’t a palm you hear of let alone see. Nice growing Max.

Tim

What species is it?

I would have to say my Licuala cordata, which is just putting out its second leaf spear now.

IMG_20201115_155053595.thumb.jpg.21e8cb8ca15c06775239eca3844bdc39.jpg

Secondly, my Neoveitchia brunnea.

IMG_20201115_142314066.thumb.jpg.9750875b774e32d08c2b5f191d78e218.jpg

• Like 3

Come on, maaaaan! You guys are killing me! I need a house I actually OWN so I can get these darn palms into the ground and actually watch them trunk, haha. 

While I have a ton of species that are going to be show stoppers in the future for me like A. vestiaria, B. alfredii, A. purpurea, and more that I’m itching to see get large, being limited to potted palms with minimal space they’re mostly seedlings for now. 

As things stand, my L. peltata var. sumawongii is really thriving. I bought / re-potted the thing in August and it put out two new fans by October which is REALLY fast from what I’ve grown to understand and I was thrilled. It’s surely slowed down to just about nothing in the cooler weather, though. 

5A4BBE5E-0AC6-4E6D-A66F-8C3E5F1AD93C.thumb.jpeg.d25fbf8afbb56a4c576c4144251583ca.jpeg

My second fav to that is my A. alexandrae pair, though I just bought them last weekend so I can’t really take credit for any success just yet, haha. They’re the first palms I own that actually have TRUNK though, so I often find myself staring at them in admiration. 

00E51810-1282-4F6D-B148-121B00405BDE.thumb.jpeg.e0e16aa8c6207b3ee74126619659600b.jpeg

Also, @DoomsDave, nice teddies you got there. Here’s mine. It’s not the size that matters.... right? .... RIGHT!? :floor:

4538E776-B130-4DD5-A120-C46B427B29A7.thumb.jpeg.255dc38a0ca21d9673d4ab85e6b3b0e4.jpeg

Edited by chad2468emr
  • Like 3

Former South Florida resident living in the Greater Orlando Area, zone 9b.

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

Also, I somehow forgot about my C. renda. Small and showing no red, YET, but it’ll be a show stopper any day now (any.... day.... now....) for sure! Even if it is a baby and I’ve had to take it inside twice so far this because because it got down into the FRIGID 50’s at night. Haha 

ED2AA8B2-B14D-4FEB-A9F4-3019EA27E3CF.thumb.jpeg.fb4185b6cda9c9b39de76bcd9ed0365e.jpeg

• Like 2

Former South Florida resident living in the Greater Orlando Area, zone 9b.

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias.