IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What's the 'gem' of your palm collection now?

Gbarce

I’m like everyone else right now it would be my bizzey I wish I could stop it at this size they are not as impressive when they get tall

DFD3F446-9C61-4171-BC22-D4A696BFA70D.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Upvote 2

My geonoma undata is starting to show red. It was collected from a palm that was red not to long ago in Colombia ( I think)

20201117_154628.jpg

20201117_154643.jpg

• Like 9

My gem at present is probably also my Bizzie, I guess just because it's my best grower... Then again, I also wish it would stop or at least slow down a bit now..

(Picture from Above) IMG_20201129_122713_copy_1000x750.jpg.0a249e402fd5b80de3009338427d6161.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

On 11/16/2020 at 11:10 PM, Butch said:

From "Gem" to "Lump Of Coal":(

IFL4Eva.jpg

W3JOdps.jpg

ZfaJkGi.jpg

3jslLQY.jpg

A volunteer Foxy Lady that I tried to dig up and save...

Butch

That's such a shame! Such an incredible specimen...

Personally, it's my holy grail of palms... Alas impossible to get hold of here in Europe :(

• Like 1

My potted Clinosperma macrocarpa (Lavoixia macrocarpa) is the jewel in my collection, because I know I'll never grow another one.

IMG_1324.thumb.JPG.5ea06b7428f47da16fe13384c691757c.JPG

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Understandably,  i've noticed that in many cases that the "gem" in a garden is often the one that is most difficult to obtain because of rarity or because of how challenging some palms can be to grow. After seeing the spectacular nature of some of the giant Raveneas, I have become a sucker for buying any oddball member of that that genus. Here is a sp. Giant, after a good 7-8 years in the ground. About 8' overall and picking up speed. Just fronds exploding out of the soil line.  As with many giants, these are probably at their best before they start trunking. 

image.jpg

• Like 14
  • Upvote 2

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

On 11/29/2020 at 7:09 PM, quaman58 said:

Understandably,  i've noticed that in many cases that the "gem" in a garden is often the one that is most difficult to obtain because of rarity or because of how challenging some palms can be to grow. After seeing the spectacular nature of some of the giant Raveneas, I have become a sucker for buying any oddball member of that that genus. Here is a sp. Giant, after a good 7-8 years in the ground. About 8' overall and picking up speed. Just fronds exploding out of the soil line.  As with many giants, these are probably at their best before they start trunking. 

image.jpg

ABSOLUTELY STUNNING!! LOVE LOVE LOVE, I have a Ravanea Jakatra seedling and its already stunning at this young age, but one of the slowest growers ever seen. 1yr old in January 2021

IMG_6346.thumb.png.58fa25044d7fd355fbbacd0758fd0968.png

Image.thumb.jpeg.db1a281c09efc3a1d6cc0defc49b2908.jpeg   IMG_5646.heic

• Like 1

I love all of mine but my 1st was a Cyrtostachys Renda and my start of challenge to grow rare tropical palms. She will be 2 yrs in March 2021 grown from a 3gal with multiple seedlings. She is now passing 6ft

IMG_5585.thumb.jpeg.9052aeaad93e3ae348a05d60a2c68e7b.jpeg

Ravanea Lakatra, slowest grower I have had for now, she is 1 yr old and very rare but already stunning since a tiny seedling and will hopefully become a beauty of its own!!

Image.thumb.jpeg.a31d8cb7ce73203ef3fffa6a2861e18e.jpeg

jan 2020

IMG_6344.thumb.png.5da00b479c823d8a6a1e002f469b64f8.png

Copernicias Fallaensis 4 yrs old, love those leaves already now, figure once it will be mature 

IMG_5646.thumb.jpeg.6a567cf65d973eae4aedc9f4167fdd0f.jpeg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, JANAIY said:

ABSOLUTELY STUNNING!! LOVE LOVE LOVE, I have a Ravanea Jakatra seedling and its already stunning at this young age, but one of the slowest growers ever seen. 1yr old in January 2021

IMG_6346.thumb.png.58fa25044d7fd355fbbacd0758fd0968.png

Image.thumb.jpeg.db1a281c09efc3a1d6cc0defc49b2908.jpeg    IMG_5646.heic 2.35 MB · 1 download

Yes, Ravenea lakatra is another great member of the genus. Being pretty cool in my area, I have also found them quite slow to get going. But they are pretty sturdy and keep chugging along. I think the lakatra appreciates some sun protection at a young age as well. Yours looks really content..

• Like 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

In fact she is in the shade under my Licualas, she does not need any attention, sometimes I forget about

here since she is so little, I oversee her in my jungle of palms. I only hope she starts growing a bit faster and taller, but I guess it will take another 1-2 years.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2020 at 5:51 PM, John in Andalucia said:

My potted Clinosperma macrocarpa (Lavoixia macrocarpa) is the jewel in my collection, because I know I'll never grow another one.

IMG_1324.thumb.JPG.5ea06b7428f47da16fe13384c691757c.JPG

Just been reading some threads on this species, didn't realise it was so rare.. Seems like it's quite an achievement to get them to that stage! Do you think you'll be able to plant it out if you ever make it back to Spain?? 

I see there are some seeds available on RPS... :)

• Like 1

Probably this one.  Young Jubaea chilensis trying real hard to pinnate.  I have bigger ones, but they are so cute at this size when they are happy.

Jubaea9.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

On 12/8/2020 at 7:11 PM, Jan Jo said:

Just been reading some threads on this species, didn't realise it was so rare.. Seems like it's quite an achievement to get them to that stage! Do you think you'll be able to plant it out if you ever make it back to Spain?? 

I see there are some seeds available on RPS... :)

I think those RPS seeds are from a batch that were listed 'new' some time ago.

If I manage to own my own place in Spain, who knows? It wouldn't be the first palm I'd plant out, but I'd work on building a palm garden where it could live. The problem comes in summer with the Sirocco winds and scorching heat. Not ideal for a montane rainforest palm. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, John in Andalucia said:

I think those RPS seeds are from a batch that were listed 'new' some time ago.

If I manage to own my own place in Spain, who knows? It wouldn't be the first palm I'd plant out, but I'd work on building a palm garden where it could live. The problem comes in summer with the Sirocco winds and scorching heat. Not ideal for a montane rainforest palm. 

I imagine, as you say, they're not all that "new" and I'm sure I will not be tempted by them until I have a LOT more germinating experience... 

I hope you do manage to make it back to Spain someday.. You must have lots of palms in pots you'd like to plant out? 

7 minutes ago, Jan Jo said:

I imagine, as you say, they're not all that "new" and I'm sure I will not be tempted by them until I have a LOT more germinating experience... 

I hope you do manage to make it back to Spain someday.. You must have lots of palms in pots you'd like to plant out? 

Thanks. ;) I'd focus on growing palms to sell as a business, so pot culture would still prevail.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2020 at 5:28 AM, Jan Jo said:

My gem at present is probably also my Bizzie, I guess just because it's my best grower... Then again, I also wish it would stop or at least slow down a bit now..

(Picture from Above) IMG_20201129_122713_copy_1000x750.jpg.0a249e402fd5b80de3009338427d6161.jpg

Nice Bizzy! What's the palm (maybe it's a cycad) on the bottom? It's gorgeous! (The little pinnate one with a yellow shine)

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Teegurr said:

Nice Bizzy! What's the palm (maybe it's a cycad) on the bottom? It's gorgeous! (The little pinnate one with a yellow shine)

Thanks! The bottom palm is actually a run of the mill Howea Forsteriana..  ;) it was a foggy morning when I took the picture, I guess it was just happy or having a good hair day or something... 

Edited by Jan Jo
  • Like 1

On 12/6/2020 at 9:46 PM, JANAIY said:

Cyrtostachys Renda

IMG_5585.thumb.jpeg.9052aeaad93e3ae348a05d60a2c68e7b.jpeg

Holy smokes those are nice! My renda was in a 1 gal when I got it last August. It grew a good bit, actually needed to be potted up in Sept since it was pretty root bound when I got it, until about October when the cooler temps / less light seriously slowed it down. It's been just about stagnant since the beginning of Nov and not as deep green as it used to be. I'm constantly bringing it inside at night anytime the low falls beneath 55 and it spent a good week or so indoors as well when we had this last cold snap here in Orlando. (About to have another and it will be back inside again....) Eagerly awaiting springtime so the rains + heat + sun come back and I can watch it kick things back off, and seriously hoping the lack of those elements don't send it into a downward spiral until then. 

Any tips for me? How can I really help accelerate it's growth rate? I see you're in SD so I imagine the lack of humidity I'm having right now is something you're pretty used to. How long did it take for yours to get red at the bottom? Mines still green all around and I can't wait for it to start earning its namesake. 

I also have a strap leaf c. fallaensis that grew a new strap and then started to grow its first pointed leaf with 4 spikes just prior to the cold snap taking place, and its been pretty stagnant now as well. Your palms are making me jealous and (even more than usual, which is saying something) impatient!

• Like 1

Former South Florida resident living in the Greater Orlando Area, zone 9b.

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

Not the most rare or unusual palm, but my Chamaedorea microspadix seems to attract the most comments from visitors. It has already adjusted to the summer sun by its second growing season in ground. Gives a very tropical look for a not very tropical palm. 

067DB754-D1B1-4FA6-9C98-C1338B016ED5.jpeg

• Like 3

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

My Trithrinax Campestris. Planted it as a small 5 gallon. I dug it up a few years ago to add it to my current garden & it has never skipped a beat. 

20201216_162047.thumb.jpg.c2fe8a0814e1fa6ca67f46ea1844f9a7.jpg

• Like 6

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

12 hours ago, chad2468emr said:

Holy smokes those are nice! My renda was in a 1 gal when I got it last August. It grew a good bit, actually needed to be potted up in Sept since it was pretty root bound when I got it, until about October when the cooler temps / less light seriously slowed it down. It's been just about stagnant since the beginning of Nov and not as deep green as it used to be. I'm constantly bringing it inside at night anytime the low falls beneath 55 and it spent a good week or so indoors as well when we had this last cold snap here in Orlando. (About to have another and it will be back inside again....) Eagerly awaiting springtime so the rains + heat + sun come back and I can watch it kick things back off, and seriously hoping the lack of those elements don't send it into a downward spiral until then. 

Any tips for me? How can I really help accelerate it's growth rate? I see you're in SD so I imagine the lack of humidity I'm having right now is something you're pretty used to. How long did it take for yours to get red at the bottom? Mines still green all around and I can't wait for it to start earning its namesake. 

I also have a strap leaf c. fallaensis that grew a new strap and then started to grow its first pointed leaf with 4 spikes just prior to the cold snap taking place, and its been pretty stagnant now as well. Your palms are making me jealous and (even more than usual, which is saying something) impatient!

Thank you :)Well the first thing they don't like to be in a big pot, they love being in a small and tight pot as long as possible. Mine has been in the same 3gal pot she came in until this October when I  had to separate her from a Hyophorbe indica what grew up with her. And I put her back into a 7 gal pot (the pot in the picture is not the pot she is in now , I used that one to fill up with water with her inside) and indeed she either misses her friend or she does not like the bigger pot or the stress of repotting and detangling their roots was too much stress. She is showing some yellowing of  the   younger plant leaves and I hope it stops soon and is only momentary. The most important thing you need to do asap is to buy a deep saucer where she can sit in deep water all the time. Mine gets a morning shower and an evening shower everyday, if I can even 4 times a day during summer. I also mist very often. She comes inside when it drops under 55F with her saucer. I refresh the water in the saucer every 2/3 days. Regarding the red stem color you have to be patient, it takes time until they start showing red. Mine was always brown red. Now my red is still not the red I see on others but I believe it has a lot to do with the heat and humidity they need. In the summer they show more red  than now at least I believe so. And only the mother stem is red for now and the other few are still more a dark red.  I fertilize with Palm Gain  twice a year. Steve Stern where I bought her from told me they love iron. But I haven't seen a need for it yet. So my guess is  water water water to let her grow and heat and humidity. I used to sit her on  top of big stones to create that humidity underneath. She is always in the shade and when it rains I drag her where   she gets it all because she loves rain and next day you can really see the difference, she looks like she received a vitamin shot, its just amazing the difference of rain water and our water.

So that's all I do. I know what you mean with impatience and jealousy, sometimes its just faster buying  a bigger plant, I tried seeds but it just takes so long, so I started to buy seedlings what have at least 4 leaves and from there it is much faster.

I would like to see some pictures of yours from the beginning to now.

My C.fallaensis popped out 2 spikes and both opened up now. I am still upset with myself that I repotted her into a too big pot (25gal) because now the watering is a pure guessing  especially now in our "winter". And guess what, I already see 1 root popping out at the water hole !!!  That means in 1 month she  grew her roots already that deep down. That's gonna be a problem.

8 hours ago, JANAIY said:

Thank you :)Well the first thing they don't like to be in a big pot, they love being in a small and tight pot as long as possible. Mine has been in the same 3gal pot she came in until this October when I  had to separate her from a Hyophorbe indica what grew up with her. And I put her back into a 7 gal pot (the pot in the picture is not the pot she is in now , I used that one to fill up with water with her inside) and indeed she either misses her friend or she does not like the bigger pot or the stress of repotting and detangling their roots was too much stress. She is showing some yellowing of  the   younger plant leaves and I hope it stops soon and is only momentary. The most important thing you need to do asap is to buy a deep saucer where she can sit in deep water all the time. Mine gets a morning shower and an evening shower everyday, if I can even 4 times a day during summer. I also mist very often. She comes inside when it drops under 55F with her saucer. I refresh the water in the saucer every 2/3 days. Regarding the red stem color you have to be patient, it takes time until they start showing red. Mine was always brown red. Now my red is still not the red I see on others but I believe it has a lot to do with the heat and humidity they need. In the summer they show more red  than now at least I believe so. And only the mother stem is red for now and the other few are still more a dark red.  I fertilize with Palm Gain  twice a year. Steve Stern where I bought her from told me they love iron. But I haven't seen a need for it yet. So my guess is  water water water to let her grow and heat and humidity. I used to sit her on  top of big stones to create that humidity underneath. She is always in the shade and when it rains I drag her where   she gets it all because she loves rain and next day you can really see the difference, she looks like she received a vitamin shot, its just amazing the difference of rain water and our water.

So that's all I do. I know what you mean with impatience and jealousy, sometimes its just faster buying  a bigger plant, I tried seeds but it just takes so long, so I started to buy seedlings what have at least 4 leaves and from there it is much faster.

I would like to see some pictures of yours from the beginning to now.

My C.fallaensis popped out 2 spikes and both opened up now. I am still upset with myself that I repotted her into a too big pot (25gal) because now the watering is a pure guessing  especially now in our "winter". And guess what, I already see 1 root popping out at the water hole !!!  That means in 1 month she  grew her roots already that deep down. That's gonna be a problem.

Thank you for all this info!!! That is so helpful. I knew they were sensitive and liked water, but since I fear root rot like the plague given how most palms are with needing it, I was always afraid to over water. In Orlando, at this point, the highs are barely even above 65, though we get inconsistent days where we hop into the 70's. I think I've decided she's going to stay inside until Spring. Even if the low doesn't go below 55 2/7 days of the week, I don't think the high being below 70 so consistently would be good for her. I have a nice spot in my office with plenty of indirect light + 6 different grow lights diffusing light around the "nook" I'll have her in, so I think that would be better for her in the long-run.

After doing a search on here and reading tips that you'd actually left in another thread a while back about warm, steamy showers, I gave her one yesterday and let the tub fill up with water just below the top of her pot. Between the humidity from the shower + the flush of the roots + the warmth that provided, she perked right up! I totally see what you mean by "vitamin shot"... she looks so much greener in a single day. I actually just finished doing another and I will move to every other day and then every 3 days after about a week just to make sure I get her caught up and back on the right path, haha. 

Do you have any tips on where I can get a basin like that? Right now I'm using a sort of large bottom of a self-watering pot (I always take those off and drill holes in the actual pot because I hate those things) but I would like something deeper because its way too easy to spill this haha. 

Regarding the C. Fallaensis.... Mine was in an 8 inch quart container when I bought it and I planted it in what was probably about a 1/2 gal pot. In two months it had roots sticking out of the bottom hole as well. Their roots really grow a lot! Not a ton of growth on the foliage, but it makes me happy to know the roots are growing fast. I have it in a 1 gal now because it managed to completely fill that 1/2 gal pot with roots. I'm really hoping once the heat begins to kick back in here around March that I'll see it put on some serious growth. I'm ready for it to get out of the strap leaf phase, haha. 

I work from home and have to hop into a 10:30 meeting, but I'll make sure to post some pics later! Thanks again for all your help! I'm already seeing such a drastic difference in the renda... its actually kind of nuts. 

• Like 1

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

32 minutes ago, chad2468emr said:

Thank you for all this info!!! That is so helpful. I knew they were sensitive and liked water, but since I fear root rot like the plague given how most palms are with needing it, I was always afraid to over water. In Orlando, at this point, the highs are barely even above 65, though we get inconsistent days where we hop into the 70's. I think I've decided she's going to stay inside until Spring. Even if the low doesn't go below 55 2/7 days of the week, I don't think the high being below 70 so consistently would be good for her. I have a nice spot in my office with plenty of indirect light + 6 different grow lights diffusing light around the "nook" I'll have her in, so I think that would be better for her in the long-run.

After doing a search on here and reading tips that you'd actually left in another thread a while back about warm, steamy showers, I gave her one yesterday and let the tub fill up with water just below the top of her pot. Between the humidity from the shower + the flush of the roots + the warmth that provided, she perked right up! I totally see what you mean by "vitamin shot"... she looks so much greener in a single day. I actually just finished doing another and I will move to every other day and then every 3 days after about a week just to make sure I get her caught up and back on the right path, haha. 

Do you have any tips on where I can get a basin like that? Right now I'm using a sort of large bottom of a self-watering pot (I always take those off and drill holes in the actual pot because I hate those things) but I would like something deeper because its way too easy to spill this haha. 

Regarding the C. Fallaensis.... Mine was in an 8 inch quart container when I bought it and I planted it in what was probably about a 1/2 gal pot. In two months it had roots sticking out of the bottom hole as well. Their roots really grow a lot! Not a ton of growth on the foliage, but it makes me happy to know the roots are growing fast. I have it in a 1 gal now because it managed to completely fill that 1/2 gal pot with roots. I'm really hoping once the heat begins to kick back in here around March that I'll see it put on some serious growth. I'm ready for it to get out of the strap leaf phase, haha. 

I work from home and have to hop into a 10:30 meeting, but I'll make sure to post some pics later! Thanks again for all your help! I'm already seeing such a drastic difference in the renda... its actually kind of nuts. 

I am glad she reacted well. The showers are a good thing especially if you have her indoors. You could also get a humidifier to keep up humidity in the house and its also good for you as well. I searched for the basin since I got her, quite impossible task especially I needed a big and deep one. I found one by luck in Pembroke Pines. They are selling nursery pots for cheap as well, good stuff. I think you don't need such a big one, check out their website https://growgeneration.com , maybe you are lucky. Otherwise use a a big plastic bowl. :) or check in home depot for a shallow pot with no draining holes. Good luck. 

Don't worry about root rot, those you can't be wrong with watering. They need water like we need food, breakfast, lunch and dinner . Here a picture from 2019. The color has been like this for more than 1.5 yrs.

IMG_2596.thumb.jpg.9debeb62d9627ea8e34e6d8989d01742.jpg

On 12/8/2020 at 7:34 PM, richnorm said:

Dypsis "Hankona" is going well for me right now

IMG_2457.JPG

Wow!!!

what type of dypsis is it? I assume that its a high elevation species from south madagascar but there are not to much information about it. I looks like a cross between dypsis prestoniana or robusta and dypsis leucomalla. Not a common dypsis for sure.

2 hours ago, DiegoGM said:

Wow!!!

what type of dypsis is it? I assume that its a high elevation species from south madagascar but there are not to much information about it. I looks like a cross between dypsis prestoniana or robusta and dypsis leucomalla. Not a common dypsis for sure.

I have not been able to get an ID. I think it probably came from the Tsaratanana area as it came in as Dypsis Tsaratananensis in the mid 90's.   One has flowered in Hawaii and I would be really interested to see how it keys out versus Dypsis ankaizinensis.... 

• Like 1

Licuala khoonmengii.

These took awhile to get their feet, but have looked great ever since. Nifty little Licuala. Water bottle for some scale.

Tim

724B4D0A-70E8-41FD-A5E9-1E9594E0C47D.jpeg

B5CA4136-1DF6-49F5-8B22-3F9A4C1DD1FF.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

2 hours ago, realarch said:

Licuala khoonmengii.

These took awhile to get their feet, but have looked great ever since. Nifty little Licuala. Water bottle for some scale.

Tim

724B4D0A-70E8-41FD-A5E9-1E9594E0C47D.jpeg

B5CA4136-1DF6-49F5-8B22-3F9A4C1DD1FF.jpeg

Love the Licuala's, all of them and there are quite lots out of there. Their green colors are just mesmerizing and the different shapes and sizes, just a must in a 

tropical garden.

On 11/14/2020 at 4:09 PM, realarch said:

I agree with Tracy..........so my favorite of the day just happens to be;

Geonoma atrovirens, killer little palm species.

Tim

7B1E6E88-5B16-4B4B-BD7B-1D85B466411B.jpeg

WoW, that's a real beauty of its own, that will be next on my wish list , thx for sharing

On 11/20/2020 at 1:06 AM, chad2468emr said:

Also, I somehow forgot about my C. renda. Small and showing no red, YET, but it’ll be a show stopper any day now (any.... day.... now....) for sure! Even if it is a baby and I’ve had to take it inside twice so far this because because it got down into the FRIGID 50’s at night. Haha 

ED2AA8B2-B14D-4FEB-A9F4-3019EA27E3CF.thumb.jpeg.fb4185b6cda9c9b39de76bcd9ed0365e.jpeg

How’s the C renda going? Mine is also my favourite in my collection!

Mabe not uber rare but I am loving this hydriastele microcarpa.  It is a fast grower for me, mabe 1 yr from 4 in pot

20201221_174927.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/19/2020 at 2:27 AM, chad2468emr said:

Another thing I got for my C Renda was a reptile substrate heater to sit under the tray of water. I live in a temperate climate so even now in summer it’s a little chilly for a tropical palm. I think it really helps as it keeps the water the plant sits in warm and consequently the roots. I got the idea from a post in here actually!

E22E4F91-8A05-4E01-B73C-A5B8DCA92B1B.jpeg

• Like 1

Not really sure what kind of palm my gem is (lost the tag years ago, seed was collected during biennial, Attalea?  Anyone know?) not particularly rare or well grown...  but it is special because Al Bredesen gave it to me when I moved here.  He invited me to a HIPS palm society meeting (the only one I’ve been to) for the sole purpose of sharing this with me.  We never spoke much or had enough time to become much more than acquaintances before he left, but he was kind to me when the many of the world chose to not be.  

4571CA99-5FC0-4E88-9664-D5B3FFE0316F.jpeg

• Like 2

This Jubaea x Butia F1 is probably my favorite in terms of form.  Shortly before sunset, light was cast on the thick truck.  Long leaves have a lot of Jubaea character.  In terms of color, I have a silver JxB F1 that comes to mind.

BTW, this palm collection with buildable 4.5 acres about 20 minutes west of Ormond Beach FL is unofficially for sale or partnering. Serious inquiries can PM me.

73A0C2BF-F50F-4B2E-8809-29F4EE5D582F.jpeg

• Like 1

On 12/21/2020 at 11:18 PM, Dimimelbourne said:

Another thing I got for my C Renda was a reptile substrate heater to sit under the tray of water. I live in a temperate climate so even now in summer it’s a little chilly for a tropical palm. I think it really helps as it keeps the water the plant sits in warm and consequently the roots. I got the idea from a post in here actually!

E22E4F91-8A05-4E01-B73C-A5B8DCA92B1B.jpeg

Love this idea! I have some germinating bismarckias sitting on that same mat that was used for my lizard when he was younger so once I’ve wrapped that up I’ll definitely be adding that to the mix.