IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What's the 'gem' of your palm collection now?

Gbarce

10 hours ago, Jeff Searle said:

So the cornbread still ain't fully cook between the ears? Lol

Dang, a corn joke-you got me there... Jeff, you are still right about me not having any credit in the palm world. Stand tall, my friend.

On 5/21/2009, 7:02:14, Kai said:

I'm very proud of my Dutch Cocos nucifera. For many people not that special, but for me it is...

First picture of it now and the second picture of january 2007

post-1050-1242925245_thumb.jpg

post-1050-1242925290_thumb.jpg

Kai, how do you deal with spidermites?

Wim.

• Upvote 2

It's very common in most palmy places but where I live, it's virtually non existant. It's a syagrus from state parana Brazil, here's a pic from last summer but its much bigger now. 

DSC02545.jpg

• Upvote 13

6 hours ago, wimmie said:

Kai, how do you deal with spidermites?

Wim.

Hey Wim,

The 8 years that I had this Cocos I've never had a single spidermite. Nowadays I have some palms in my collection that are very susceptible to spider mites and when the problem turns up, I use many different methods to get rid of them.

A couple of different anti mite sprays, coffee spray. It's important not to use the same spray all the time because the mites build up resistance very fast. Spray in the evening when the eggs hatch is most effective.

The very best thing so far has been setting loose a batch of predatory mites on my collection. All mites are gone and have not returned after 4 or 5 months.

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Just went out in the yard this evening and took a good look at my Copernicia rigida. It's been flowering and setting seed(not many)  now for many years now, but between this species and maybe C. gigas, these are my favorites. And good news, I just recently got a good supply of seed so I hope to have these in the near future to spread around.

Jeff

• Upvote 3

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

19 hours ago, Jeff Searle said:

Just went out in the yard this evening and took a good look at my Copernicia rigida. It's been flowering and setting seed(not many)  now for many years now, but between this species and maybe C. gigas, these are my favorites. And good news, I just recently got a good supply of seed so I hope to have these in the near future to spread around.

Jeff

I agree with you on those two Copernicia-my favorites too.

Tough call.  I guess my favorite right now is this Copernicia macroglossa.

IMG_1172.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 13

Back in 2009 I put up my lovely little Dypsis boiviniana. How times change. My wee palm made it about a year, two more replacements even less. Small Dypsis like that and Dypsis minuta don't seem to thrive for me.

Today my showcase palm is my largest Sabal palmetto Lisa, which is flowering for the first time (photos in another thread). It is also boldly placed and visible from the street. It is truly a unique palm.

• Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Seems kinda cheesy, considering how common they are, but my gem is my Veitchia arecina.  I only recently got to 95% certainty that I had even identified it correctly, and it seems to be one of my happiest and healthiest palms.  I picked up the seed myself from dropped fruit at my (now Ex) girlfriend's apartment in Ft Lauderdale nearly 7 years ago.  These were the very first wild gathered seeds I have ever managed to germinate.  (thought "wild" is a stretch considering they were all taken from landscape palms around the complex)  I still have 2 other pots with additional "unidentified" palms I also gathered at the time, but I'll have to let them get bigger before I figure out what they are.  

Anyway, here's my Vietchia.  Put it on my coffee table for scale (I was trying to make a container ranch post last week), but sitting on the floor it's still barely taller than I am at 6 feet.  The trunks are a nice mottled brown and getting thicker by the month.  This is a palm that has really come into its own this last year.

12ppCuo.jpg(Boulevard Kolsch for scale...)

Edited by Funkthulhu
  • Upvote 12

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

8 hours ago, Funkthulhu said:

I picked up the seed myself from dropped fruit at my (now Ex) girlfriend's apartment in Ft Lauderdale nearly 7 years ago.  

Something to remember her!!!

tenor.gif

Edited by foxtail
  • Upvote 6

Rio_Grande.gif

We're still friends! :D:D:D 

Side note, her name is Joan and for a while I joked this was V. Joannis...

Now to figure out those other two mystery palms.

• Upvote 4

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

1 hour ago, Funkthulhu said:

We're still friends! :D:D:D 

Side note, her name is Joan and for a while I joked this was V. Joannis...

Hmmm ... not pure coincidence !!!

giphy.gif

• Upvote 2

Rio_Grande.gif

Point a gun to my head, and I'd pick Dypsis leptocheilos.

Everyone falls in love with them, when they look up.

IMG_4824.thumb.JPG.b4010c86d022b0610f5ba

• Upvote 12

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Lanonia dasyantha, what a great little palm. More robust and hardy than L. 'mapu' and faster growing. 

Tim

P1010979.jpg

• Upvote 11

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

On 7/13/2017, 11:28:22, Funkthulhu said:

Seems kinda cheesy, considering how common they are, but my gem is my Veitchia arecina.  I only recently got to 95% certainty that I had even identified it correctly, and it seems to be one of my happiest and healthiest palms.  I picked up the seed myself from dropped fruit at my (now Ex) girlfriend's apartment in Ft Lauderdale nearly 7 years ago.  These were the very first wild gathered seeds I have ever managed to germinate.  (thought "wild" is a stretch considering they were all taken from landscape palms around the complex)  I still have 2 other pots with additional "unidentified" palms I also gathered at the time, but I'll have to let them get bigger before I figure out what they are.  

Anyway, here's my Vietchia.  Put it on my coffee table for scale (I was trying to make a container ranch post last week), but sitting on the floor it's still barely taller than I am at 6 feet.  The trunks are a nice mottled brown and getting thicker by the month.  This is a palm that has really come into its own this last year.

Not cheesy at all! We have these palms all over our landscaping in Naples, and I can't get enough of them :wub: I am currently looking for ripe seeds or seedlings, but they're mostly in high-traffic locations. They're a lovely species! Well done on yours! They're beauties!

• Upvote 2

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

8 hours ago, realarch said:

Lanonia dasyantha, what a great little palm. More robust and hardy than L. 'mapu' and faster growing. 

Tim

P1010979.jpg

This is on my 2017 Floribunda wishlist! Placing order soon. Can't wait! :wub:

• Upvote 2

My wee baby Sabinaria magnifica is my most treasured palm. :wub: Other than that, I'm really enjoying my Pinanga coronata 'Kuhlii'/'Blunt Leaf' plants and my Areca vestiaria 'Red'/'Maroon', all of which have really taken off this year.

sm.jpg

• Upvote 8

17 hours ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

Definetly my most recent addition 

Copernicia baileyana 

IMG_2618.JPG

YAASSS!! Always a pleasure to see a C. baileyana (and falaensis :hmm::wub:). 

• Upvote 3

Well grown Copernicia are such spectacular palms. Pretty much in heaven here seeing the different species at the last IPS Miami biennial.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Right out the front door is my C. baileyana, from Katherine@creekside on this forum.  One some days it is my favorite, I love the colorful petioles.  Planted as a 7 gallon in summer 2011, its starting to "get the grow on", pushing out 7-9 leaves a year.  I want another one of these and a couple copernicia magroglossa for my "savannah" in the front yard.

baileyana1.JPG

baileyana2.JPG

• Upvote 6

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

We will see how mine does it is already a huge plant roughly 6 foot tall. I hear they are marginal out here I know they love the heat which is no problem for me during summer months of 100 degrees plus for me . Real problem will be winter last year I got about 30 f so I may have to protect it a little . I've had it planted for a month or so now and has already pushed 3 fronds 

I have a love/hate relationship with this sort of topic.

I love to see everyone's choices and photos! Thank you all so much.

I hate trying to pick one of mine as I have trouble narrowing it down. So today I decided I was going to decide while at the computer and then refuse to change my mind amongst them, no matter how hard each one with new leaves or flowers or more rare yelled, "pick me!"

It was again very very tough and I almost caved, but with all my will power my first choice is my Licuala cordata

DSCN6901.thumb.jpg.e45793394c6aee784abed

with runner up to the larger L. orbicularis which is above the L. cordata in the following photo.

DSCN6900.thumb.jpg.a68dd06f89ff06670e326

Tomorrow who knows what I would say?

• Upvote 9

Cindy Adair

On 21/7/2017 20:18:01, Pal Meir said:

Definitely my rarest species, now extinct in its habitat in Bahia/Brazil: Syagrus itapebiensis = Lytocaryum itapebiense

59724541e1e35_N16022017-07-21P1030887.th

Impressive ! 

Is there any program for reintroducing the species in habitat ?
Do botanic gardens grow seedling like you do?

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

3 hours ago, doranakandawatta said:

Impressive ! 

You have to ask @caixeta; he knows it better. The habitat is reported to be burnt down for cattle. :rant: 

Maybe this is the only place where L itapebiense is still surviving:

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/48954-lytocaryum-itapebiensis/

• Upvote 1

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

My gem can be this one:

P1060544.thumb.JPG.73ea3d15608b8efa860cc

great hopes with this species !

• Upvote 1

Philippe

On 06/07/2017 09:52:09, alohas said:

It's very common in most palmy places but where I live, it's virtually non existant. It's a syagrus from state parana Brazil, here's a pic from last summer but its much bigger now. 

DSC02545.jpg

Wow it looks healthy. Paraná is my state so I´m curious where the seed came from ?

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

On 20/07/2017 03:42:29, realarch said:

Tim

P1010979.jpg

Really nice. I have them also, a little younger, and don´t show so much mottling

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

9 hours ago, doranakandawatta said:

Impressive ! 

A few palms were found in a little remnant of forest from a fazenda in Itapebi.  Fortunately the species is reproduced by the thousands lately and it deserves to be reintroduced, in a forest of a park in same habitat. 

• Upvote 2

I feel all my seed grown palms are gems, but specially the seeds I was involved since the beginning, like this Butia eriospatha x Jubaea......but also de Phoenix rupicola and the Parajubaea sunkhas that are flowering.......and the Dypsis decipiens... and.......

DSCN9634.JPG

DSCN9632.JPG

DSCN9633.JPG

DSCN9636.JPG

• Upvote 11

3 hours ago, Alberto said:

Really nice. I have them also, a little younger, and don´t show so much mottling

Alberto, I've read on this board, several times now, that the key to enhanced mottling is to never fertilize them. 

I have fertilized lightly in the past and really didn't notice any change in the habit, but now I only mulch them.

I have noticed though, when I've acquired them in the 4" growers pot, they are solid green with no mottling maybe because 

they have received regular feedings to promote growth and vigor for sale.

Tim

• Upvote 3

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

2 minutes ago, realarch said:

I have noticed though, when I've acquired them in the 4" growers pot, they are solid green with no mottling maybe because 

they have received regular feedings to promote growth and vigor for sale.

Tim

So there is hope for mine to look like yours.... :rolleyes:

My silver Mazari palm (Nannorrhops) would be for me. I am not sure if this is the form of Mazari palm that goes by Nannorrhops ritchieana sp. 'Silver' or the Nannorrhops arabica.  The grower insisted it is the silver form of ritchieana; however, many others have said they believe it to be the 'arabica'. I would like to know definitively one day as the cultural requirements of the two differ somewhat.  

20170712_201208.jpg

20170712_201846.jpg

• Upvote 6

Boy, looking through this thread, there are some nice specimens!!! It would take forever to comment on all of them, but the photos are appreciated. 

Good growing!

Tim

• Upvote 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

On 23/07/2017 à, Alberto said:

Wow it looks healthy. Paraná is my state so I´m curious where the seed came from ?

Indeed it is, and it's growing much faster than I expected. This winter temps went down to - 7°c and I protected it with frost cloth, virtually no damage. As for the provenance of the seeds sorry but I don't know, it was sold as coming from this state without further detail. 

Edited by alohas
  • Upvote 1

My favorite in the ground is my Areca catechu dwarf.

IMG_3957.thumb.JPG.2363ce4bab9853ec039b3But my newest little guys are a close second...Sabinaria magnifica

IMG_4063.thumb.JPG.ba81226532a8d350c1e56IMG_4064.thumb.JPG.979ade78b7b121e5cc00a

• Upvote 8

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

1 hour ago, sur4z said:

My favorite in the ground is my Areca catechu dwarf.

IMG_3957.thumb.JPG.2363ce4bab9853ec039b3But my newest little guys are a close second...Sabinaria magnifica

IMG_4063.thumb.JPG.ba81226532a8d350c1e56IMG_4064.thumb.JPG.979ade78b7b121e5cc00a

Your newest little guys look like brothers of mine. looking forward to seeing their growth !

P1060538.thumb.JPG.4bdd45ceec4bb5532c901

• Upvote 1

Philippe

Yes, I am jealous... I look forward to seeing yours grow up and maybe having one here. Congratulations and thanks for the beautiful photos.

Cindy Adair

I guess the gem of my "collection" has to be the 11 month old Golden Malayan dwarf.

20170725_182303 (Large).jpg

• Upvote 6

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)