IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What's the 'gem' of your palm collection now?

Gbarce

Somebody posts this type of topic every so often and I just want to see outstanding palm trees ( doesn't everybody?).

So what's the palm in your collection that you are most proud of at this point in time? Maybe because its very well grown or because it is super super rare or maybe both.

Please show us a picture of it.

Thanks.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

I'm very proud of my Dutch Cocos nucifera. For many people not that special, but for me it is...

First picture of it now and the second picture of january 2007

It is special for MANY people!!! I have large Cocos but about every 4 years or so i have to provide serious protection, so i understand, you've done well!!!

Most of the people on this forum cannot grow a Cocos without having to provide protection! Unless of course you live in Hawaii or south Florida/carribean/south America!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Not the rarest, but I love my hapla :wub:

post-1035-1242958130_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 5

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

My gem of this year is Gaussia princeps. :rolleyes:

post-507-1242959943_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 3

60 meters above the sea level with less than 1000 mm annual rain.

Temperature range is 16 - 38 °C , average is 28 °C approximately.

Start to collected palms , cycads and succulent plants since 2004.

For me right now-- my licuala orbicularis. She's getting bigger now and petioles are longer too.

post-1017-1243000129_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Randy,

That hapala looks great! That might be the next palm I plant. Being in soflo I am curious how long you have had it, whether you ammended your soil, and

how much sun it take daily.Thanx..... :)

just a stones throw from the Atlantic Ocean

Pompano Beach, Florida

Randy,

That hapala looks great! That might be the next palm I plant. Being in soflo I am curious how long you have had it, whether you ammended your soil, and

how much sun it take daily.Thanx..... :)

I've had it 3 years. Got from a nursery that got it from "some palm sale a few years ago, as a 1 gallon". It grows really fast, but my big one could use a bit more shade as it grows into the sunlight. I usually use about 25 percent potting soil from Bushel Stop (the bagged stuff) with the muck fill crap thats under my house. I have another smaller one and a vieillardii in more shade, all doing great! I want more :D

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Mine are doing well. I do amend my soil and mulch. Grown in shade.

Ron.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

My gems are the Licuala orbicularis & caudata , I have been nurturing for several years .

From little sprouts in tubes , and now respectable plants in 200 cm pots nearly ready to be planted out .

Sorry no pix just yet ,, later going to the "monster market' tomorrow ..

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

My Carpentaria acuminata gets the best in show at present due to it's flourish of fruit and flower.

post-51-1242803697.jpg

post-51-1242803726.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Not the rarest, but I love my hapla :wub:

What's a Hapla? Ed

Sorry for the typo. I meant "hapala" Burretiokentia hapala :hmm:

I guess this Bentinkia nicobarica would be one of my favorite palms because it was one of the first I planted approx. 3 years ago. I bought it at Fairchild's

palm sale from Bill Olsen. It was 2 to 3 feet tall overall in a 3 gallon pot. It is now over 10 feet and such a strong grower....I also love the silver-green

hue of the crownshaft .... :)

post-3251-1243122451_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

just a stones throw from the Atlantic Ocean

Pompano Beach, Florida

Nothing special from the perspecitive of the veterans, but I am excited about the 2 palms here.

1) Brahea armata - planted 2 years ago with 2 leaves, now 3 feet tall and growing rapidly

2) Archotophoenix cunninghamiana - not hardy to 9b, but survived the winter and is throwing new spears! Very exciting for me!

post-646-1243128983_thumb.jpg

post-646-1243129006_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 3

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Not rare, but definitely my favorite.

Areca catechu var. alba

2iliwww.jpg

• Upvote 5

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

Though iam a die-hard fan of the Phoenix varities,but Cipd is my favouriate in our collection ! And till now one of those have been planted & its doing just fine...rain or shine ! :hmm:

post-108-1243149315_thumb.jpg

By the way i know for shure that these are preety common in most countries..but i have hardly seen any of these here in south india. :blink:

Love,

Kris :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I'm very proud of my Dutch Cocos nucifera. For many people not that special, but for me it is...

First picture of it now and the second picture of january 2007

You have got a good reason to be proud off, it's a nice coconut!

Robbin

Southwest

Well, it's really an hard question. When I think about palm with their roots into the ground, I think i'm being the most proud about mine CIDP because it's growing so well and has survived the worst winter ever and not much more people in the Netherlands have got such sized CIDP in their gardens. When I have to think about container plants I do think mine Parajubaea Tvt is going to win, is not a slow grower either.

Here is the Phoenix from September 2008.

PICT0001-1.jpg

And I will take an picture tomorrow from my Parajubaea.

Robbin

• Upvote 4

Southwest

I don't post here very often... when I do check PalmTalk, I am usually in the "TROPICAL LOOKING PLANTS - Other Than Palms" section looking for posts on cycads (no surprise to those who know me, I am sure). But I do have a couple pretty nice palms in the yard as well.

My favorite is probably Carpoxylon:

carpoxylon.jpg

A very close second is Brahea decumbens, which I got as a 2-leaf seedling from Kapoho back in 1998. It has been in the ground around 8 or 9 years. It is suckering profusely now (although you can't really see it in this photo).

braheadecumbens1.jpg

And here is my CIDP... planted by the original owners in the 1950s:

cidp.jpg

Jody

Nice palms everyone! Jody, what is that palm beside your Carpoxylon?

San Fernando Valley, California

Nice palms everyone! Jody, what is that palm beside your Carpoxylon?

That is Attalea cohune, which surprisingly began flowering a couple years ago. Last year I got both male and female inflorescences, and it actually set three seeds -- which are still developing:

acohuneseeds.jpg

Jody

This is my little gem, a Butia compacta.

031.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 4

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Thanks Jody-that's what I suspected but we don't get to see too many around these parts so I wasn't sure.

San Fernando Valley, California

Matt's B. compacta and the Miami grown B. decumbens both make me want to swoon, mainly because I could grow both in my climate, and I don't have either of them. None of my palms are particularly rare, but they do get points for size. I can't pick just one palm, but about 5 or 6 of mine come to mind. I guess the Jubaeas come in first because of their size, and they would make a certain person in S. Calif. brandish one of his red shoes and swoon. Next would be my giant Nannorrhops and Trithrinax campestris. I'm told the Nannorrhops is one of the largest in Calif., pretty amazing considering my fickle climate.

Next would be my Bujubaea and Butia X Parajubaea and also Trithrinax biflabelllata, not huge but still pretty rare. Oh, to heck with it!! I like 'em all. Half of my palms even have pet names.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Wow, I really had to think about this - so many palms to choose from. I finally narrowed them down to two: my tiny Pseudophoenix ekmanii seedling that I searched for in vain so long, and the Dypsis boivineana I bought at the spring Searle sale. I chose the Dypsis because it is a mature, perfectly proportioned, elegant little palm. The photos say it all.

post-1349-1243345409_thumb.jpg

post-1349-1243345433_thumb.jpg

post-1349-1243345476_thumb.jpg

post-1349-1243345509_thumb.jpg

post-1349-1243345540_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

That Butia Compacta is Gorgeous. I WANT ONE!!! But that's a cold climate palm right?

It can handle cold for sure. Can you grow Butia Gene? If you can, then you should be able to grow these as well.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Matt's B. compacta and the Miami grown B. decumbens both make me want to swoon, mainly because I could grow both in my climate, and I don't have either of them. None of my palms are particularly rare, but they do get points for size. I can't pick just one palm, but about 5 or 6 of mine come to mind. I guess the Jubaeas come in first because of their size, and they would make a certain person in S. Calif. brandish one of his red shoes and swoon. Next would be my giant Nannorrhops and Trithrinax campestris. I'm told the Nannorrhops is one of the largest in Calif., pretty amazing considering my fickle climate.

Next would be my Bujubaea and Butia X Parajubaea and also Trithrinax biflabelllata, not huge but still pretty rare. Oh, to heck with it!! I like 'em all. Half of my palms even have pet names.

Dick

As I was reading this, I was saying to myself, " Come on Dick, admit it, you like them all." :D

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

• 8 years later...

The phoenix dactylifera on the right side of my driveway.  Seed grown, trunking, great color, and surprisingly solitary.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I have a few. One of my most exciting to me is my Licuala sallehanas. They grow well for me and add nice texture amongst the other plants .

• Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

11 hours ago, Jeff Searle said:

I have a few. One of my most exciting to me is my Licuala sallehanas. They grow well for me and add nice texture amongst the other plants .

My blue rigida would eat them...

Here in Iowa it easy to start over, just don't do anything over the winter for your palms....

That said, after doing this for 10 years and starting with so many Fortunei variants....

FortxWag,2 Fortunei,Tesan,Nainital,Bulgarian,Waggie etc....I have replanted with my

favorites Trachys...so,they are all gems to me at this point!

• Upvote 1

It's a toss up between my Needle and my Pygmy, my two largest palms, and both were very great deals for their size. I'm leaning towards the Needle though as it's the best palm for my climate.

Also, Needles have a reputation for being slow, but mine isn't. It's on par with my similarly-sized Majesty Palm, actually.

I have many, but the gem that is number 1 now is my Tahina spectabilis. Still small but doing great!

20170701_151422.jpg

• Upvote 5

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

20 minutes ago, colin Peters said:

Not many of these in cultivation

Dypsis beentjei

IMG_0074.jpg

Looking forward to seeing how it looks when more mature ! Now its' already a beauty.

Actually seeing that: http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Dypsis_beentjei

it's a real unusual Dypsis and a beauty!

• Upvote 2

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2017‎ ‎8‎:‎21‎:‎42‎, Mandrew968 said:

My blue rigida would eat them...

So the cornbread still ain't fully cook between the ears? Lol

• Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.