IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

World Weather in May

amazondk

Recorded 27C/80.6F Yesteday. May was warmer as normal again, and we do get the average rainfall again. I will post mine, complete overview from May here later.

Btw, they forecasted now some cooler days from wednesday till friday/saturday with cold air from the north with maxs from 14-17C and that's cold if we compare that to the last time. But some positive this "cold" what is forecasted we have also seen in the end of May 2003, and also the start of June 2006 and not everyone knowes but that summer was hot for us with 37.2C/98.6F in July 2006. The only different thing is that the forecasted "cold" should be shorter then in 2003 and 2006. Also more into the past we have seen this "cold" forecast and an warm/hot dry summer after it.

So maybe the first signs of an hot summer that's coming? I hope so! :D

Robbin

Southwest

Studying abroad. Studying German. No palms here. Cant wait to get back. I would wish for luck. You might get a strong cell, chance of T-storms that might dump a load of rain. Wouldn't be the first time.

BTW, how was this season? Enough rain? How is the garden holding up?

Weather in Germany. Typical afternoon T-storms. Occasional Powerful cold front pushing through. Temps around 22C each day.

Zach,

Our winter in N. Calif. was "normal" with two or three cold weeks in January with some white frosts. The palms came thrugh well, but we got less than normal rainfall and all of Calif. is in a drought with water rationing in some places.

Dick

Richard Douglas

There's been a persistent cut-off low off the California coast going nowhere soon! Clouds & well-below normal temps for valleys\ foothills. According to climatologists, this is the coolest\ cloudiest "June Gloom" in 27 years. Barely in the 70's w/ some afternoon sun but mild nights. Less irrigation. No change for another week.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Happ,

Sounds like the same weather we have been having in N. Calif. Looks like widly scattered showers in the Sacramento Valley, but not much along the coast. At day break today it did look stormy and there was some virga around. It rained here for about 3 minutes, big drops, just enough to settle the dust.

What is a cut off low?

Dick

Richard Douglas

Happ,

Sounds like the same weather we have been having in N. Calif. Looks like widly scattered showers in the Sacramento Valley, but not much along the coast. At day break today it did look stormy and there was some virga around. It rained here for about 3 minutes, big drops, just enough to settle the dust.

What is a cut off low?

Dick

The low pressure system off the coast has "cut off" from the main flow of air around the globe. By this time of the year the jet stream retreats northward near the Canadian border. The reason the weather has been unusually cloudy is that the storm system is stuck spinning in place without any mechanism to move it. Models differ on the forecast but it is likely that the storm will move ashore late this week & rainfall could occur in Northern California [probably not in SoCal].

The NWS is predicting a warmer than normal summer for California.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Is that rain falling in LA right now? Woudlnt be surprised if a few cells in the bay area produced brief heavy rain.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

MAN on the radar for southeast LA looks like its getting dumped. It must be virga or my eyes are deceiving me. You guys would be jumping for joy right about now. Almost looks like a train effect pulling some sort of tropical moisture up, but what do I know.

MAN on the radar for southeast LA looks like its getting dumped. It must be virga or my eyes are deceiving me. You guys would be jumping for joy right about now. Almost looks like a train effect pulling some sort of tropical moisture up, but what do I know.

Zachary

It is mostly virga though weak thunderstorms have been circulating thru the area all day beginning early in the morning [mainly some thunder & very light brief showers]. This is due to the low pressure system off the California coast moving slowly eastward. We should see this pattern continue for another day or two. There have been some heavy showers in the mountains. Any rain this time of the year is welcome.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Happ,

We have had a southerly flow all week with mild temps in the Bay Area, and it sounds like the same as S. Calif. In the late afternoon yesterday, our local weather lady excitedly announced there was a "super cell" over Livermore with heavy rain and thunder. I checked the doppler and it appeard it was coming my way. I went outside and watchd a stormy looking sky to the SE of me. The clouds were boiling and I could see virga and maybe rain to the east of me. I got about 30 seconds of rain as the cell slid to the east of me and then suddenly dissapated. It's been that way all week, just a sprinkle and then nothing with nice sunny, mild afternoons. This low is just a tease.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Dont give up hope yet. Good chance late Thursday into Friday. Next season looks like a weak/moderate el nino. Hopefully that will mean above average rainfall for Cali.

There are hints of another system or two coming into central California in the next 10 days. We will see...

Edited by Palmy

Aren`t we in June yet?

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

If we can just avoid a hurricane this year, it will be a beautiful year in Louisiana. We have had a mild winter and nearly perfect rains since last winter, regularly falling once or twice a week, but not more. Everything looks totally awesome and most things have already reached or exceeded pre-2008 drought/hurricane/drought devastation.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages