IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

World Weather in May

amazondk

It seems there is not much interest in the weather in May around the globe. At least not being expressed in a monthly weather thread. Here in Northern Brazil the rains continue, the rivers are at record level. And, the damage is increasing as houses and cropland go under water.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Coastal Southern California is getting its usual "May Gray" for a while. Overcast mornings and nights, with a few hours of sun in the middle. (maybe)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Yippie! I woke up today to a THUNDERSTORM!!!! I'ts been about 5 months without any significant weather. Stuff around here was starting to look like toast!

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Its been really dry over here. Don send some rain this way!

Its normally drier around here April and May but usually we get at least 3.50 -4.00 inches in each of those months. The combined amount for April and May is only 2.75 inches! I too am looking forward to the rainier season where we get about 5-6 inches a month.

At least fertilizer weather is here! Although its a little cooler than normal now.

Cheers,

Michael Ferreira

Bermuda-Humid(77% ave), Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Warm Season: (May-November): Max/Min 81F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Record High: 94F

Record Low: 43F

Rain: 55 inches per year with no dry/wet season

It seems there is not much interest in the weather in May around the globe. At least not being expressed in a monthly weather thread. Here in Northern Brazil the rains continue, the rivers are at record level. And, the damage is increasing as houses and cropland go under water.

dk

Don - Hope your house is doing ok! My girlfriend is from Guyana (english guyana just North of Brazil) and they had some pretty bad flooding a few years back. Hope you guys recover.

Michael Ferreira

Bermuda-Humid(77% ave), Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Warm Season: (May-November): Max/Min 81F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Record High: 94F

Record Low: 43F

Rain: 55 inches per year with no dry/wet season

May is generally a quite pleasant month w/ cool cloudy mornings & warm hazy afternoons. May get a little too hot this weekend but then back to usual values [75F-80F].

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Michael,

I am fine. Our place is on high ground as is most of the city. But, in many areas people have built in areas that are flooded from time to time, even if that is every 100 years and this year is the year of 100 year floods across north and northeastern Brazil. There are around 400,000 people without homes right now across these two regions. Here in Amazonia the flood cycle is normal and we are nearing the peak of the yearly flood which is sometime in June. The difference between a normal season and this year is probably about 1 meter more water. But, when spread across such a large region and such large rivers this is a lot. Whereas northeastern Brazil is normally much drier than our region and floods are not very common. Like many places around the world people went and built houses and towns in places on flood plains where every so often an event happens and they are affected. The weather in Brazil this year is impacted by a warmer than normal Atlantic ocean off the southern coast, a cooler than normal Pacific off of Peru (La Niña) and the position of the Intertropical convervenge zone which has just continued pumping rain from Amazonia across a large stretch of the country. It could be that this same phenomenon has impacted your dry weather there and in Florida.

I found this information on the Inter Tropical Convergence Zone which is inetersting and may be of some relevance to what I mentioned above. ITCZ

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

2 inches (50.8 mm) of rain last night.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

It's been the driest and warmest start to May on record since the 1800's. We've been averaging 10C-27C so far vs 10-22C of a normal May. Next week the rains start, marking the change of the season and it will reportedly rain almost every day for about a month which is the long range forecast's maximum predictive period. It's been really weird of late. You need to heater on at night and during the day you sweat a great deal. I'm looking forward to the warmer nights when the rain starts and the cooler more humid days more typical of this time of year. It will be good for my cooler loving palms like my Rhopies, Hedyscepes, Chambeyronia lepidota, and Ptychococcus lepidotus. Time to repot all my cool loving stuff.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

May is the start of our rainy season and it's as if someone turned on a switch somewhere. As soon as May arrived, it started raining on a regular basis again. May, June and July are my three favorite months here. These months are at the very beginning of the rainy season when it is usually sunny and nice in the morning, it clouds up in the afternoon, and it doesn't start raining until late afternoon or evening. The afternoon cloudcover keeps it from getting too hot and the daytime and nighttime temperatures are very pleasant. I love this time of year!

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

This is supposed to be towards the end of our dry season, but we are getting a lot more rain than usual. We even had a typhoon, which I don't recall ever having this time of year! Also, the typhoon came from southwest when normally they come from southeast.

George Yao

Metro-Manila

Philippines

It's been rather sunny -- not much fog -- here in San Francisco this month. Quite windy and cool, but then that's normal. We did have a record heat wave at the beginning of the month that scorched a lot of foliage. (Another one on the way tomorrow.) Humidity was down below 15%, temperatures above 90F. Brahea edulis leaves scorched, as did some Chamaerops, in the nursery where I work. They are so used to the mild chill and humidity that the quick swing to continental heat shocked them, I think.

No rain expected really until October. It can get rather boring, with the same weather report for four months: "Fog and low clouds in the morning, clearing to near the coast in the afternoon. Highs in the low to mid 60s on the coast, 60s and 70s by the bay, and 80s and 90s further inland. Fog and low clouds returning to the coast and bay in the evening, with lows in the 50s, except 60s in the higher terrain. Sea breezes 10 to 25 miles per hour in the afternoon, 5-15 miles an hour overnight and in the morning."

Fog collects many nights on the trees, wetting the sidewalk with droplets, but no true rain. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like if every three or four weeks a big thundershower cleaned all the dust off the cars and eaves in the summer. Some variety would be exciting, especially in July and August when areas within five miles of the coast can remain chilly and overcast for two or even six weeks at a time. The incessant wind is the most irksome aspect of our summer: still air at 65F is fairly pleasant, especially in the sun. With 15 mph breezes 65F begins to bite. Ugh.

El Nino years can bring delightful summer weather here, with stretches of 70s spelled by refreshing intrusions of fog and 60s again.

It is said that only coastal Chile has the same summer-fog pattern that we do. Maybe Albany on the south coast of Western Australia does too? I hear that Perth and Cape Town both have balmier summers with occasional showers, as does Lisbon, the only other possible analogs.

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

Jason,

The heat wave got here a day early. It's 103F at 3:30PM on my back patio. (In the shade)

Dick

Richard Douglas

big storm today with lightining. everthing is lush right now. SW florida was looking dry and scrubby, but I think the rains started there as well.

about 3 inchs of rain in the last 3 days.

is going to be below average in temps the next couple days due to a front and all the rain keeping temps down.

a high of 73 and low of 51 on monday!

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

4 inches (101 mm) of rain since last Tuesday.

You guys in Florida have it tough. In Calif. we can't expect any more rain for 6 months. After a weekend heat wave of over 100F, the cool has arrived again from the San Francisco bay. The low this morning is 51F with a high expected today of 87F, normal for this time of the year.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Still nice spring weather with temperatures between the 18-23C and night temperatures between the 9-13C.. Couple days ago I just recieved the long needed rain to stop dry out my garden. Jan, Feb, April and also still May rainfall is below average and temperatures above average. April 2009 almost beat the warmest april ever, and that warmest april was in 2007... how do you mean Climate change...

Robbin

Southwest

Out here in Loxahatchee, FL we have had about 3.25" of rain for the week. Today, it has been consistant thunder and lighting all day thus far and it looks like it will be that way the rest of the day!!!

SCUBAKeith

Entering the doldrums of summer esp early summer w/ morning coastal clouds\ hazy sun & mild temps. No rain for many more months to come. There is the real possibility of an El Nino developing this year.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

It's colder than a well diggers ass in Walnut Creek this morning. It's only 52F and overcast. Naturally a colder than usual day since we are having a palm society meeting in Marin County today. I had to trun the heat on this morning. Quite a contrast from last weekend when it was over 100F.

I'm surprised we haven't heard more from our Florida friends. I heard they had 2 feet of rain in the Datona, Jacksonville area and the streets were flooded. The palms must love it.

Dick

Richard Douglas

26C/78.8F at the moment over here, and 17-20C forecasted for tonight with also heavy thunderstorms with hail, high wind speeds, loads of rain etc. I do like to get some rain, because the garden needs it but don't need the Ice. This was falling this afternoon in Belgium from an big thunderstorm.

grelonbeauraing[1].jpg

The rest of the week will be around the 20-22C/ 68-71.6F, with nighttemperatures around the 10C/50F. It looks like next week we going up again, spring is very very good so far! Now hoping on an much warmer summer then average and also sunshine, just like this spring.

Robbin

Southwest

For the people who liking some extreme weather, they should have been here last night. I never have seen such of weather before where I live, I still hard to believe whats happend last night. I say it before we had change on severe weather with change of big hail, heavy wind speeds, thunder etc.

Level 2 where forecasted and mine Max where 26.0C but at almost 9 O'clock in the evening it was still 25C and very humid. When I was going to bad around half 12, it was still around the 20C.

1520092513.png

I woke up around 03.30 hour because heavy lightning and thunders, look out my window and saw the weather turning crazy about 4 o'clock. Never seen so much rain in an very short time with that power smashed down to earth with loads of wind (Someone close to me record windspeeds from 116 km per hour) when the squalline passed), even saw a little hail. This morning I woke up after an not really sleepy night and going om my way to Boskoop and trees where falling down everywhere or has lost big and lots branches. Later I hear on the radio that in Woensdrecht, an town not far away from me has got huge hail from 5 cm wide and give loads of damage to cars, plants, complete greenhouses destroyed for tomatoes because the hail. There has been also some big fires around Amsterdam because Lightning strikes against homes. After all, I recieved god thanks no hail, only rain 17 mm and the most in 30 minutes but that's nothing compared to more west with places they have got 30-70 mm of rain in an few hours! 70 mm that's almost twice the month average, and what an suprise I do have only got a little wind damage, so I've been lucky this time.

Here are some pictures, all are not mine but from other people but some pictures are beautifull but scary. At the most active point there where 300 lightning strikes per minut! And there have around the 70.000 lightning strikes last night in the whole country.

Hagelsteen_Mario.JPG

Here are some other hail shots from other places...

35200926174114.jpg

7520092650190.jpg

Edited by Exotic Life

Southwest

35200926174115.jpg

18520092616123.jpg

18520092629391.jpg

Sometimes we call it here american weather, but looks like we can call it more and more typicall northwest european summerweather. Looks like every year we got more and more this kind of huge thunderstorms and big hail etc etc. Maybe also an effect from changing our climate?

Conclusion.

* Great warm, sunny and humid day.

* Finally some rain..

* 1 people died

* 15 million euro damage from only one night with heavy weather... :S

Robbin

Edited by Exotic Life

Southwest

Locally, it is now one of the rainiest months of May in history. The official tally is approaching 10 inches (254 mm).

IMG_0767.jpg

IMG_0843.jpg

IMG_0847.jpg

IMG_0844.jpg

Robbin

Those are incredible photos :mrlooney: and what a severe storm! Appears western Europe was dead center. May I post some of your photos on weather-related websites?

Strange for this time of year, but even in SoCal there have been dry t-storms over desert\ mts & more next week. Pre-monsoonal moisture in Arizona. Also June Gloom big-time w/ suppressed sun\ temps.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

IMG_0767.jpg

IMG_0843.jpg

IMG_0847.jpg

IMG_0844.jpg

Robbin

Those are incredible photos :mrlooney: and what a severe storm! Appears western Europe was dead center. May I post some of your photos on weather-related websites?

Strange for this time of year, but even in SoCal there have been dry t-storms over desert\ mts & more next week. Pre-monsoonal moisture in Arizona. Also June Gloom big-time w/ suppressed sun\ temps.

Great pics Robbin! Those storms made their way across the channel into south east England on Monday, though not quite as dramatic! Missed out on the storms here, but it was a very warm & humid day, despite temperatures only reaching 24.5C (76F), I guess the high humidity made it feel warmer...

May has been pretty good here on England's south coast, fairly mild with temperatures getting into the high teens most days (mid 60's F) Have had quite a few days over 20C (68F) too, with today being the warmest of the year so far at 25C (77F)...

Here's hoping the nice weather carries on into June!

Malta - USDA Zone 11a

Robbin

Great pics Robbin! Those storms made their way across the channel into south east England on Monday, though not quite as dramatic! Missed out on the storms here, but it was a very warm & humid day, despite temperatures only reaching 24.5C (76F), I guess the high humidity made it feel warmer...

May has been pretty good here on England's south coast, fairly mild with temperatures getting into the high teens most days (mid 60's F) Have had quite a few days over 20C (68F) too, with today being the warmest of the year so far at 25C (77F)...

Here's hoping the nice weather carries on into June!

Hi,

They are great pics indeed from the dutch weather forum, after that night there have ben hunderds of pictures and movies from that night. The whole spring is very good so far with in April and May lots of days between the 17-21C. We do have got here 20 days with 20C or more so far and 3 times we reached above the 25C. Highest this year so far 26.0C, that was before that night with the huge thunderstorms. And at the moment it's almost 20C again, so day numer 21 with 20C is coming. Loads of sunshine, but this year is still a bit drier then normal but nobody hear me complaining about the weather so far.

I'm curious what the summer going to bring us, I hope on some nice heat +30C :)

Robbin

Southwest

Robbin

If you ask me, I say it's not an problem but just like I sad before the pictures are not mine but from an dutch weather forum and this pics where one of those hunders of pics after that night.

Maybe also interesting is the following movie. Movie have been made by an French student and living in Rotterdam during that night. In the beginning it looks like and tropical storm scene :mrlooney:

Rotterdam was one of the places that recieved around the 30-40 mm that night. When you watch this movie, check the man on the bike.. I think he was never before so fast at home then this night :mrlooney:

Robbin

Southwest

Well enough about the above weather, I do prefer more the weather at the moment and coming weather. Deep blue sky with loads of sunshine and temperatures between the 22-24C/71.6-75.2F, and that not bad for the end of may and Spring that is getting on his end.

PICT0011-5.jpg

PICT0003-5.jpg

PICT0010-2.jpg

Southwest

Robbin, Unbelievable pictures! Here in South Florida, we were dry as toast until Mid-Month. Then the predictable end of Dry Season with a bang. After just over 4 inches of rain from 1/1/09 to 5/15/09, we are now at 19.59" for the year. Normal to date is 18.49". After zip for the first 15 days,15.45" for the month of May. Lake Okeechobee is rising and the humidity is back. Not even a cool breeze until December!

What you look for is what is looking

Our typical June weather arrived early in N. Calif. The San Francisco fog has swept inland to Walnut Creek the past 4 days. It's overcast and gloomy with morning lows of mid 50's. The fog doesn't burn off until 10:00 AM to noon, then warm sunny afternoons. June is typically cooler than May or July in San Francisco due to the fog.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Hi Palmy,

I won't hold my breath as these late systems rarely produce much rain, but I will take all I can get. What the heck are you doing in Germany?

Dick

Richard Douglas

blistering today, with temps reaching 96 degrees.

when it doesnt rain like it has been lately everyday, the temps creep to mid 90's, usually hgihs are aroun high 80's as it humid and rainy.

3 day weather history

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/obhistory/KTLH.html

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Studying abroad. Studying German. No palms here. Cant wait to get back. I would wish for luck. You might get a strong cell, chance of T-storms that might dump a load of rain. Wouldn't be the first time.

BTW, how was this season? Enough rain? How is the garden holding up?

Weather in Germany. Typical afternoon T-storms. Occasional Powerful cold front pushing through. Temps around 22C each day.

Edited by Palmy

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science