bgl

Mystery Dypsis

BS Man about Palms
34 minutes ago, LJG said:

Not sure Bill. I don't recall seeing a palm like this there. 

IIRC it was only there the first or second time I went.. labeled as Dypsis "baby red stem". I may be remembering the sign more than the palm...

LJG

Baby Red Stems turned out to be Ambo like palm.

• Upvote 1

Hilo Jason

Thanks for this bump Bill, sure seems like what I got as Betefaka.  Seems like these are not fast palms anywhere.  I was hoping to see some Hawaiian giants like some of the other large Dypsis that grow so quickly there.  Maybe we'll see some more updates of some of the palms from this thread now that it's bumped. 

BS Man about Palms

Bump for the interesting part.. and hopefully Bo can post the most recent pic from his old garden... between lava eruptions!

richnorm

The leaves on my biggest two are up to about 9 feet now and starting to accelerate significantly.  Must be over 20 years old!IMG_8862.thumb.JPG.c0be91860a104cf27cb2d

• Upvote 6

knell
On 7/31/2016, 5:59:38, Hilo Jason said:

Thanks for this bump Bill, sure seems like what I got as Betefaka.  Seems like these are not fast palms anywhere.  I was hoping to see some Hawaiian giants like some of the other large Dypsis that grow so quickly there.  Maybe we'll see some more updates of some of the palms from this thread now that it's bumped. 

we have betafaka and it is very close to decipiens. ours is splitting as well.

the palm in this thread i would recognize anywhere... we have it as Dypsis sp. ‘honkona’, one with 8ft of trunk (and seeding), and one that is just a crownshaft on a couple rings of trunk (old plant just dwarfed out). beautiful palm that looks a bit like a smaller hovomantsina. the fruit has a distinctive nipple, if i recall correctly. if anyone wants photos i can take some tomorrow. maybe a couple others around, ill have to check.

Edited by knell
  • Upvote 1

Hilo Jason
48 minutes ago, knell said:

the palm in this thread i would recognize anywhere... we have it as Dypsis sp. ‘honkona’, one with 8ft of trunk (and seeding), and one that is just a crownshaft on a couple rings of trunk (old plant just dwarfed out). beautiful palm that looks a bit like a smaller hovomantsina. the fruit has a distinctive nipple, if i recall correctly. if anyone wants photos i can take some tomorrow. maybe a couple others around, ill have to check.

Hey Mike - I'd love to see those photos, please post them when you can.  And I'll have to make sure to see the palm in person next time I am there.  

Moose
4 hours ago, knell said:

4 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

Hey Mike - I'd love to see those photos, please post them when you can.  And I'll have to make sure to see the palm in person next time I am there.  

Here, here :interesting:

knell

here you go, apologies it isnt the best lightning for photos right now... all palms grown by Jeff/Su Marcus, in order of size

i forgot we had these two as well:

DBE030E3-A16C-4D3B-877E-FF3C137C2F5A.thu

you can see there is quite a size jump from seedling to crownshaft mode, these two may be competing soon

Edited by knell
  • Upvote 2

knell

the next largest, super old but only just getting its trunk on... i put a one gallon pot next to it for scale

A33FA093-AFE1-402B-989C-10C7C9F72E97.thu

this one has a tiny starter flower on it haha

Edited by knell
  • Upvote 4

knell

and then the largest one we have, by a long shot... this one is beefy and seeding consistently, you can see the new (infrafoliar) spadix as well. the fruit are the ‘medium sized  gooey kind’, (i think thats the scientific term for it), and have a distinct nipple

FAB4F9E3-3A89-4F69-BC8F-39E6603B5EF8.thu

Edited by knell
  • Upvote 6

Hilo Jason

awesome!!  thanks for posting those. 

richnorm
On 5/25/2018, 10:07:23, knell said:

and then the largest one we have, by a long shot... this one is beefy and seeding consistently, you can see the new (infrafoliar) spadix as well. the fruit are the ‘medium sized  gooey kind’, (i think thats the scientific term for it), and have a distinct nipple

FAB4F9E3-3A89-4F69-BC8F-39E6603B5EF8.thu

I'd be super-interested to see how that keys out against Dypsis ankaizinensis!

BS Man about Palms

Random bump to add some pics of Dennis' hankona from a month or so back...

267253547_334139901628647_1322397097500420297_n.jpg

268867182_392810249292756_7254188710252449206_n.jpg