bgl

Mystery Dypsis

bgl

Bill's (BS Man) comment/question in our thread in the Share-a-Site forum made me go out and take a few updated photos of this particular Mystery Dypsis. I have a total of four of these in the same general area and there's a photo of each of the four below. The smallest one (first photo) is only about 3-4 ft tall. The 'in between' (photo #2) is about 6 ft tall, and the remaining two (#3 and #4) are both close to 12 ft tall (up to the tip of the new spike). The close-up is of #3.

Background: in Dec 2001 I drove down to Kapoho Palms and bought a number of palms. In one area in the shadehouse they had twelve 1 gallon pots, all with Dypsis. All were labeled "Dypsis tsaratananensis". Despite being fairly small, it was obvious to me that there were probably three different species among those 12 little palms. I bought all 12. At $7 each, seemed like a good idea! :) I planted all 12 in January 2002. Now, a bit more than 7 years later, some of these palms have grown quite a bit, some not so much. A few turned out to be (what we now know to be) Dypsis tsaravoasira, some of which now have 6-7 ft of trunk. The first palm below has been one of the slower ones, but I'm certain that the palms in the photos below are all the same species. The question is, what species? When John Dransfield was here in July 2008 he did not know. Any others with this palm? Any ideas?

post-22-1242187000_thumb.jpg

post-22-1242187020_thumb.jpg

post-22-1242187037_thumb.jpg

post-22-1242187060_thumb.jpg

post-22-1242187081_thumb.jpg

Scott

I s this the one Kim showed a few weeks ago after visiting a famous collection here in So Cal? It's intriguing!

BS Man about Palms

Awesome Bo!! Thanks for the pic update. Looking at your pics one and two, I am 90% certain I have one and Bud Zager has one in the ground . See "planted pic" taken in early 2007. Buds, as was mine, was also sold around here as D. tsaratananensis. The So Cal guide even list them that way, but I think in reality that is Dypsis "white".

The other pics are not of mine (I'm looking) but of our favorite stealth south Florida collector, which has sadly since carked. BUT, he said in some of the OLDER Australian collections it was known as D. honkona or D. hankona, not to be confused with the "new" versions sold now. They new ones ARE NOT the same palm.

post-27-1242195220_thumb.jpg

post-27-1242195322_thumb.jpg

post-27-1242195412_thumb.jpg

BS Man about Palms

Found some sad pics of mine. Very sad as you may note that it is in a 25 gal tub AS I purchased it and paid accordingly. Under some good advice from Len and Gary Levine, I repotted it to a MUCH better mix AND a MUCH smaller pot! As a matter of fact, it is now in a 2 GALLON pot and I did not have to cram or fold the roots at all. :( But the good news from Gary (some of my palms spend winters at Garys... :) ) is that it is pushing a new spear.

Another view of it in another pic, but you can see my MUCH happier Dypsis hovomansina there too. Oh yeah, mony, mony in front.. :drool:

post-27-1242195951_thumb.jpg

post-27-1242196273_thumb.jpg

richnorm

I posted this picture before and was informed that I had "Honkona". If John Dransfield is flummoxed I suspect your biggest plant may end up being the type specimen!

I also temporarily have Hankona (aka fine leaf decipiens, I think) but unfortunately I just pulled the spear! The Honkona is doing well and now looks much better than the picture. However, this will be its first winter in my cold greenhouse so please say a prayer to the palm gods. Already we have seen 6C and had hail!

IMG_1955.jpg

Matt in SD

Bill,

Did you really pay for that plant? :mrlooney:

Matt

bgl

Bill, not for me to disagree with your findings but I don't see the same reddish color on the petioles of 'yours', but that could obviously be for a variety of reasons - environment, size of the plant, lighting (the sun more or less bleached out the reddish color on my #3 above - in the photo I mean!). And, in the name of clarification, should probably mention that there were a number of palms sold under the Dypsis tsaratananensis in the late 1990 and early 2000s. I believe most of them turned out to be what we now call Dypsis sp. white, which is most definitely a different palm from the ones above.

Matt, that's a good question! I was wondering the same thing myself...

Rich, thanks for posting that photo. Looks like it could be one and the same!

Bo-Göran

Jeff in St Pete

Bo, nice palms whatever they turn out to be!

Bill, you paid the 25 gallon price for what turned out to be a 2 gallon palm? You TRULY are a dedicated palm collector!

BS Man about Palms

Bo- I think they are the same. Tri thought so when he saw it. I suspect its green for all the reasons you mentioned. Or else there is a "green" version with IDENTICAL leaflets! :P

Everything else: guilty, I'll leave it at that.

BS Man about Palms

Gary- Heres the thread. Look harder....

BS Man about Palms

Good news on my repot on this. The new spear looks happy.....

post-27-1242791656_thumb.jpg

LJG

Invoice is in the mail.

BS Man about Palms

Semi-good news for me. I was about to give up on this palm as the "spear" you saw in post #11 opened to the roughly 10" long leaf you see here. BUT, I'm surprised it is starting a new spear!. If its the same size, thats good, if smaller, I suspect it will create a small black hole in about 3 years and suck all my other slow growing Dypsis in with it!!!

post-27-12692230861238_thumb.jpg

BS Man about Palms

BUT, the real reason to revive this is I went to Dennis W. yard yesterday with a camera and light this time and I'm fairly convinced its the same palm Bo and Rich have. (any update pics from you guys?) Dennis said he got it about 10 years ago as Dypsis honkona habitat form.

post-27-12692232846557_thumb.jpg

post-27-12692233791671_thumb.jpg

BS Man about Palms

More shots, but I think if you allow for the different growing conditions, its the same palm!:rolleyes:

post-27-12692234745894_thumb.jpg

post-27-12692235319124_thumb.jpg

Any agreements, or arguments or updates?

Yep, I continue to love Dypsis.... :hmm::D

bgl

Bill, may very well be one and the same. Here are some updated photos of a few of mine. I have (at least) four of these. No photo below of the smallest one, though.

post-22-12692302500044_thumb.jpg

post-22-12692302542818_thumb.jpg

post-22-12692302604869_thumb.jpg

post-22-12692302658475_thumb.jpg

post-22-12692302717578_thumb.jpg

richnorm

Mine are thriving much to my surprise having spent winter in my cool shadehouse. Is this possibly a form of decipiens? Close up mine has a decipiens look about it. I now have one in-ground so let's see what full winter exposure does. Anyone know where the seed was collected?

cheers

Richard

Lowey

Bo, Bill and others, nice pics and as usual you guys keep the rest of us wishing :lol:

On the topic of mystery Dypsis, do any of you have (pics) of what has been called Dypsis tennuissama??

I obtained a plant similar to one in a post bill had recently under this name and wondered who else had it.

• Upvote 1

bgl

Bruce, sorry, can't help you with that one.

And Richard, these are most definitely not D. decipiens, or a form of decipiens.

Bo-Göran

Caryota_gigas

Here is a pic of what I believe to be the same palm, it is certainly the same palm as Richards as it was from the same batch of seed, which at the time was sold as D. tsaratanensis. It was planted out a few months ago in Auckland, NZ.post-636-12692934482356_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

BS Man about Palms

Thanks Michael! I thought somewhere I saw you had one and I hoped would post a pic!!

Tyrone

Bill, may very well be one and the same. Here are some updated photos of a few of mine. I have (at least) four of these. No photo below of the smallest one, though.

I'm just thinking out loud here, and I'm probably wrong, but when you see large D bejofo in habitat in pictures, it wouldn't be hard to imagine these as young bejofo's. That's what I see in them any way. My biggest D bejofo's are two leafers and 25cm tall, so I have nothing larger to compare.

Best regards

Tyrone

BS Man about Palms

I'm just thinking out loud here, and I'm probably wrong, but when you see large D bejofo in habitat in pictures, it wouldn't be hard to imagine these as young bejofo's. That's what I see in them any way. My biggest D bejofo's are two leafers and 25cm tall, so I have nothing larger to compare.

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone-

It would take me a long time to find the pics, but I know they are different palms. I've had both at an early age.

Pez

More shots, but I think if you allow for the different growing conditions, its the same palm!:rolleyes:

post-27-12692234745894_thumb.jpg

post-27-12692235319124_thumb.jpg

Any agreements, or arguments or updates?

Yep, I continue to love Dypsis.... :hmm::D

I was watching the Floribunda garden tour on palmpedia, and there is a palm that looks identical to those shown here. Jeff Marcus said that Dr Dransfield referred to it as possibly the true hovomantsina. All i know is i want 30 of them.

• Upvote 1

richnorm

I think this could be a palm from some altitude which would rule out Hovomantsina. It's certainly no whimp and might turn out to be one of very few Dypsis that we can grow well.

Tyrone

I think this could be a palm from some altitude which would rule out Hovomantsina. It's certainly no whimp and might turn out to be one of very few Dypsis that we can grow well.

Very interesting. I want to know what it is now.

Best regards

Tyrone

Lowey

Bruce, sorry, can't help you with that one.

And Richard, these are most definitely not D. decipiens, or a form of decipiens.

Bo-Göran

Bo, the attached pic below is from bills post which was called Dypsis tennuissama,

post-3764-1269336920191_thumb.jpg

the others are my palm, any ideas or are they to juvenile?

post-3764-12693369926436_thumb.jpg

post-3764-12693370303651_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

BS Man about Palms

Bruce, the "trunkal" area has a lot of brown tomentum on the D. tennuissama. You may have one.

Lowey

Thanks for the reply Bill, is there anyone else you know might have any info on one?

BS Man about Palms

Just a quick update here. I was reading an old PSSC journal and it mentioned someone who had gone to Madagascar to look for the "Honkona palm". At one point he met Alfred and he told him it was not a place, but Malgasy for a description of the leaf....:blink:

Since the leaves are so very different on this palm, it makes sense. Really.

Shon

BS do you have an id on your Pauleen's Dypsis?

BS Man about Palms

BS do you have an id on your Pauleen's Dypsis?

No. But I did recently hear that some "Baby red stems" were VERY slow D. madagascarensis. BUT, I can't find any reports of red leaves...:blink:

richnorm

A couple of photos taken today, the day after the winter solstice. The sharp winter light has whitened the colours a little. This palm is still growing well an hasn't slowed noticeably with the onset of the cool weather. As you can see it is just opening a new leaf. Those having trouble growing these in hot greenhouses take note!

cheers

Richard

post-264-12772624785684_thumb.jpg

post-264-12772625160633_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

BS Man about Palms

Nice bump Richard as there are some updates... Shon and I have found a VERY few of the palms identical to that which you have that came in as Dypsis betefaka. When next to the others, they are quite different with the red spear and all...

My little guy has opened that tiny leaf/spear and is pushing another... :D

Bruce I missed your question, did you find an answer?

BS

Lowey

Only ever more questions Bill :lol: post another pic of your new spear please.

Moose
Good news on my repot on this. The new spear looks happy.....

Bill - what does it look like now? :huh:

Moose
Just a quick update here. I was reading an old PSSC journal and it mentioned someone who had gone to Madagascar to look for the "Honkona palm". At one point he met Alfred and he told him it was not a place, but Malgasy for a description of the leaf....blink.gif

Since the leaves are so very different on this palm, it makes sense. Really.

Could this be a potential lead on Meg's Mystery Dypsis sp. malagasy palm ? :unsure:

BS Man about Palms
On 6/22/2010, 8:20:52, BS Man about Palms said:

Nice bump Richard as there are some updates... Shon and I have found a VERY few of the palms identical to that which you have that came in as Dypsis betefaka. When next to the others, they are quite different with the red spear and all...

My little guy has opened that tiny leaf/spear and is pushing another... :D

Bruce I missed your question, did you find an answer?

BS

Here you go @FallBrookJason this is what I was referring to..

BS Man about Palms

Len, Do you remember One of the growing at the top of Docs driveway to the north side years back?

LJG

Not sure Bill. I don't recall seeing a palm like this there.