IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

new fish pond-AKA "the koi bunker" -4 p.kelapa

paulgila

i was going to use concrete that was water-tight but found that it costs 5-6 times more than regular concrete! i did find a sealant that

is just for ponds that i am going to try.

jeff,yer questions are too much like homework so i am ignoring you. :mellow:

more pix coming soon as the project nears completion.

Paul just sent me all the info. I had requested through our own private pm. :winkie:Mine will be 1/10 the size of Paul's.

Jeff

Jeff,

Does that mean you are going to cut out the center section of a single cinder block for your KOI pond? :lol:

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Paul,

That is a nice project. I could send you a few piranhas from here to make your pond real exotic. But, they be hard on the other fish. I have used a sealant for masonary to hold water here and it worked fine. I am sure that you can get something similar there.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

think you have space for such an ambitious project,jeff? :lol:

don i would love to be the only dewd with a fully-stocked piranha pond! maybe it would teach them dang-blasted racoons a lesson!(insert "hillbilly" emoticon).

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

• 4 weeks later...

Picture247.jpg

these pix are from a few weeks ago.

ive been kinda busy :blush:

Picture248.jpg

cinderblock has been set.here we are filling them with mortar.

Picture249.jpg

yes,i helped!

Picture250.jpg

we put the statue into place & mortared around it.

still "warning-free."

i thought i had some more pix from a few weeks back when i re-planted things around the pond,but i cant find em.

here are some shots from a few days ago...

Picture354.jpg

i painted the cinderblock the same color as the house since i had some left-over paint & glued some fancy bali-thingees

onto it.

Picture355.jpg

the sealer is for shower pans but can also be used for this application.

dont look at my old chones.

Picture356.jpg

the koi-bunker has no cell reception.

yes,i tried it.

Picture357.jpg

the 1st coat is always the hardest.

still "warning-free."

Picture358.jpg

the goddess looks on.

Picture359.jpg

"stoned."

Picture360.jpg

1st heliconia flower! whoo hoo!

Picture361.jpg

still "warning-free."

Picture362.jpg

more palm pix taken when i shoulda been working.

Picture363.jpg

duck & cover.

Picture364.jpg

those @#%$&$%^ fish better appreciate this!

Picture365.jpg

"if its blue it must taste like BLUEBERRY!"

still "warning-free."

Great documenting Paul. I've wanted to put in a deep koi pond for a while. We have a lot of cypress trees in the area so I will need to go with concrete too. Keep us posted on the progress. Is there anything you wish you would have done different?

yes,got a parakeet instead! :lol:

still "warning-free."

Jeff,

What's a permit?? :rolleyes: I have 2 water features and am working on a third. I didn't ask about permits. Neither did I ask about them for my 3 orchid houses. And they've been through 3 hurricanes.

Kitty,

OK, great after paul gets back to me with his answers, I have some questions for you regarding your ponds, horse stables, shadehouses, sidewalks/streetlamps, wells, oh, and have you ever put a mirror up in the house before? Thanks, :)

Jeff

Jeff,

I assume this was tongue-in-cheek. I've done a lot of things around the house and garden. Jeffrey - my husband - helps with some of the heavy work but I've done a lot of it alone. Don't know much about sidewalks and streetlamps and only a little about wells. I did the basic design for my barn - tried to think of everything I would want and make things convenient. I put the stalls on the east side so they would be cooler in the evenings. Put a center aisle wide enough to drive a vehicle through. I did miss 2 things - I should have had a gate installed in the back fence so I could get out to the canal without having to climb the fence. I should have had a second culvert installed and a drive-though gate in the front fence in the paddock so I could have parked my trailer there. I hope to remedy both of those things this year. I have to have the culvert permitted and professionally done. But we can handle installing the gate.

Never tried much with concrete except to install the posts for the orchid houses. But I am willing to try any project unless it involves electrical work! My father was a carpenter and I worked with him in the summers and took shop in school instead of home ec so I am pretty handy.

And yes, I've installed a mirror or 2. And am getting ready to take 3 huge ugly things down in our bathrooms that are glued to the wall.

Love the koi pond! And the color is great. Show us pictures with the koi!

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Man, it's lookin' good. That is one solid piece of construction. You should fill it with Alligators. Alligators with guns. Let's get some in Flordida.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

oh,didnt i tell you we were going to florida for gators,matt?

we have a special box for you to sit in once we get there,it says "B-A-I-T" on the outside... :evil:

still "warning-free."

Great job on your pond Paul. What red-leaf palm is post # 47,.. Laccospadix?

San Francisco, California

• 1 month later...

darold--i believe you are correct on the palm w/red leaf(sorry i dint reply sooner,didnt see yer question).

koi bunker is complete--will post updated pix asap!

still "warning-free."

Picture369.jpg

various plantings surround the koi-bunker.

Picture370.jpg

one of my faves is this snowflake aralia.

thanks to all who helped,like palmgrover,my nephew ryan,mattyb for moral support & CONSTANT suggestions,& of course pops,without whom it wouldve

never happened!

still "warning-free."

Nice job Paul. When do the fish go in?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

thanks len. fish are in after 3 day waiting period to make sure it didnt leak so that was...lemme see..thursday.

still "warning-free."

What happened to the deep blue color in post #48? Did the koi object? The white looks suspiciously like porcelain...

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

that blue was the rubber h20 barrier,kim.it needs to be covered or it will deteriorate from uv rays,hence the white pool paint covereing the actual pond basin.

still "warning-free."

that blue was the rubber h20 barrier,kim.it needs to be covered or it will deteriorate from uv rays,hence the white pool paint covereing the actual pond basin.

Oh. :mellow: So you can't put a decorative blue over the white? I was expecting orange koi and blue water. Keep the turtle, he's cool! I like the small size, kind of intimate, hidden, and sweet. Your other pond was small and the fish were okay, yes?

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

How will you keep Matty from peeing in it?

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean