IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A trip up to the High Plains of Montana

amazondk

On April 25th I left Manaus on the afternoon TAM airlines flight to Miami. It is a 5 hour non stop flight from Manaus to Miami. It was a beautiful Saturday afternoon as the flight cruised high above Amazonia toward the Caribbean. I have taken this route many times over the years and it is always an impressive sight when the skies are clear and you can see the vast wilderness below. As we flew up the Negro River you could clearly see the Branco River flowing down from Roraiama and then over the high escaprments and cliffs of the mountains on the border with Venezuela. As Miami got close the last landfall is crossing Cuba and the view was great in the late afternoon sun. The flight arrived at MIA around 830 PM, a quite time at the airport. Back in the USA. On Monday the 27th I flew from Fort Lauderdale to Great Falls, Montana via Memphis and Minneapolis. In Minneapolis I called my mother and she informed me that I would arrive in the middle of a snow storm with the temperature around 28 F. Well, it certainly would be a difference from where I left. Fortunately my cousin met me at the airport with a down jacket of my father. Since I grew up in Great Falls snow and cold are not strangers to me. But, it is a little strange now to wear a jacket. I went there for my father´s 90th birthday. My son´s and I bought him a notebook computer to replace his desktop unit. The first three days I was there is snowed non stop and by the end of the storm there was about 20 inches of snow on the ground. I did not get out to the mountains which I would have liked to. But, I did get my dad`s computer pretty much set up for him at least. I did manage to get out around town and shoot a few pictures of the city. Great Falls is located at the Great Falls of the Missouri, hence the name, and is on the high plains with the Rockies to the west, Higwood Mountains to the east, and the Little Belt Mountains to the south. It had been six years since I had been there. A few things had changed, but not much. There are not many palms in the this thread, but it does provide a contrast to the tropical world I and many of palm world live in.

These pictures are really the trip out of Great Falls, but since I arrived at night and had not pictures I will start with them.

The air service to Great Falls has degenerated greatly over the years. Where NW airlines once operated a DC 10 they now have a small regional jets operating and few flights. With the purchase of NW airlines by Delta most of the air service is with Delta. I started my work career loading planes at Great Falls airport in 1970 for Western Airllines. We had a lot of flights at that time. It was quite a different world back then.

IMG_0416.jpg

The Missouri River

IMG_0405.jpg

The Little Belt mountains. These mountains go up to a little over 9,000 feet above sea level. There was a lot of mining there about 100 years ago. But, not today. I spent a lot of time when young driving around the logging roads there seeing where I could get to in my dad`s pick up truck. Fortunately I always made it back. The truck would have a lot of stories to tell if it talked.

IMG_0403.jpg

Great Falls looking over the city toward the Highwood Mountains from the airport. Many times I would ride my bike up to the airport and look out over the scene. It is especially nice under a full moon.

IMG_0392.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Great Falls is where Lewis and Clark portaged around the Great Falls on their way to the Pacific in the early 1800s. It was here that a Grizzly bear chased them into the river.

9thstbridge.jpg

The Falls are now damed up except for one. But, when the water is high they are a beautiful sight. There are stories that in the time the railway was built and their were many Chinese railway workers that one of the activities of the fronteir was to occaisionly put a chinese in a barrel and roll him over the falls. I don´t know if this is just fronteir folklore, or it really happened. But, Montana at the end of the 19th century was a pretty rough place and the rule of law was mostly the barrel of a gun. So, I don´t doubt it either. Charlie Russel the western painter made Great Falls his home and caputred much of life on the western frontier on canvas. When I was growing up in the 50s and 60s the old west did not seem too far away. My great grandmother came from St. Louis to Montana in a covered wagon in the 1890s. She lived to be 96 and I knew her. She was person from a different century for sure. I also grew up in the world of silver dollars from the late 1800s. Montana was one of the only places in the US where the silver dollar circulated freely at that time. It was a great place to grow up. I used to collect plants back then too, but they were cactus and pine trees.

IMG_0228.jpg

lookingdowntheMissourirainbow.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

This was actually one of the warmer days I was there.

IMG_0271.jpg

Snow and the garden does have some nice effects.

IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

My parents back yard after 3 days of snow.

IMG_0188.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

My dad shoveling the front walk. He left half of it for me to clean off so that I could remember what fun it was.

IMG_0242.jpg

The alley behind the house. Since the temperature did not get much below freezing the ground was wet underneath. This snow actually will be quite good for plants and crops in the area as it will put a lot of moisture into the soil as it melts.

IMG_0194.jpg

I did not get to set out on the deck with my father though.

IMG_0198.jpg

Northern Plains palm in a snow storm.

IMG_0185-1.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

It was only on Saturday the day before I left that I got out to take some pictures around town.

This house always intregued me. It has been a basement house since I was a kid. I really don`t know what is appealing about living in a basement. But, the owners must have some reason.

IMG_0274.jpg

I started out at Gibson Park and the older neighborhood of Great Falls. Great Falls was planned by a fellow named Paris Gibson. The city is laid out very orderly with streets numbered and running north to south in a grid. A bit different from the urban caos of Manaus.

The park and the old railway station in the background. No passenger trains use the building any more. But, it is a beautiful structure.

IMG_0283.jpg

IMG_0280.jpg

The band shell has been painted up nicely. I remember it being just white.

IMG_0282.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Supposedly this is the first house built in Great Falls. It was moved to the park from another location.

IMG_0284.jpg

The playground has been upgraded from when I was a kid. I loved the swings there. There were also big cages in the park full of squirles. The cages are not there anymore, but the squirels are all over town now.

IMG_0286.jpg

IMG_0285.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

I liked this scene of a youngster escaping on his trike from his mom.

IMG_0287.jpg

He appeared on the other side of the park center as I walked around the building.

IMG_0289.jpg

The lake in the park was a favorite place to ice skate. I spent many days and evenings in the winter racing around the ice. When the ice was new you could see the gold fish under the ice. We used to play hocky as well as chase each other around. In the summer it was a place to feed the ducks and geese. There are a lot more native birds in the park now.

IMG_0298.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

The birds are still a big part of the park.

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

Even though a long way from the ocean sea gulls abound.

IMG_0295.jpg

The Canada Geese are very gracefull. Just think I used to take aim at them with my shotgun to put one on the dinning table for dinner.

IMG_0300.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

The geese have taken to walking around the streets as well.

IMG_0311.jpg

I always liked this neighborhood of home built in the early part of the 20th century.

IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don , that snow is sending shivers up my spine just looking at it ,, BBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Edited by aussiearoids

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Michael,

It was a bit of a change from what I am used to. But, for a week it was ok. I was going to be there for Christmas. In a way it was good we did not go as the temperature rarely was above 0 F. This winter was one of the first hard winters in years. At least there is a lot of snow in the mountains which is good for the forest and water shed. Although it may also mean floods as the snow pack melts.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

We then drove over to Central Avenue the mains street in town. As it happened there was a classic car show going on so there were quite a few photo opportunities. It was a good occaision to try out my new camera.

The country court house in the distance.

IMG_0315.jpg

Central Avenue was closed for the show.

IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

The temperature was in the mid 40s F and the locals found it warm, bermuda short weather even. I used to feel that way, but not anymore.

IMG_0328.jpg

It surely is not a street scene I am used to seeing anymore.

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0336.jpg

It seems like a long time ago since I used to cruise the drag on this street in a 1955 GMC pick up truck.

IMG_0339.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Even Batman showed up.

IMG_0340.jpg

IMG_0341.jpg

IMG_0342.jpg

I always liked the Shriners in the local parades.

IMG_0331.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

While I was out taking pictures my parents sat and watched the people go by.

IMG_0321.jpg

This statue is a tribute to Charlie Russel cowboy artist.

IMG_0343.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Great Falls is under several major jet routes and I always looked up and watched the planes go by as a kid. Today I watch them going back and forth to Sao Paulo from Miami, Chicago, and New York.

IMG_0350.jpg

The last stop was at Giant Springs. The natural spring flows into the Missouri and is one of the largest if not the largest fresh water spring in the world. It is now a park and well taken care of. When I was a kid a road ran behind the springs and it was a hang out for sometimes unruly high school kids from the period when I was in school. It was also a favorite spot for summer picnics.

IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

IMG_0356.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

If you look hard you can see a trout in the water.

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

IMG_0362.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Dear Don :)

Lovely stills and each picture is worth to be sent as post cards to ones friend_so beautiful.

And were all these stills shot using a new camera,since the stills feel lot different from your earlier stills of amazonian region.in other words the stills of this thread simply rock.I love that new machine(Camera) :greenthumb:

And thanks for posting those stills big,i loved watching it...as though i was with you walking along those streets.

Lots of love to you & your kid,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Thanks Kris,

I am glad you enjoyed the trip. I bought a Canon SX10IS in Florida when I went through. It is not a DSLR, but has great optics with a 20 x zoom that gets up real close. I am very happy with the camera and can`t wait to get out and use it here at home.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don,

Nice pictures! Must have been a great trip, and seeing snow again probably added a bit to the experience! And seeing those people walk around in shorts in 40F degree weather reminded me of a similar experience a number of years ago. My wife and I were in Sweden in mid April. Most of the time it was right around 45F, and sunny. The "locals" all talked about the nice and warm weather (coming out of winter) and my wife and I thought they were crazy! And that's where I grew up...

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bo,

I guess it was no accident that so many Scandanavians ended up in Minnesota and the northern USA. It is true that when you come out of months of cold sun and non freezing temperatures seem like summer. If the same temperature were ever to hit here there would be people dropping dead on the streets. But, I guess that makes the world such an intersting place. I remember years ago I went to Montana with my kids and it snowed in August. There was enough snow to make snowmen. The week before was over 100 F and the week we were there it was 32 F in August. The kids loved as they lived in South Florida it was a real treat for them.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

great pix,don! whats all that white stuff??? :P

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Paul,

That white stuff certainly is something in not found down in these parts.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Thanks Kris,

I am glad you enjoyed the trip. I bought a Canon SX10IS in Florida when I went through. It is not a DSLR, but has great optics with a 20 x zoom that gets up real close. I am very happy with the camera and can`t wait to get out and use it here at home.

dk

Thanks Dear Don for the info on your new machine,but in my observation your SX 10IS is stunning and is fully capable of putting the EOS DSLR's to shame !

Here is a Link ! for those who want to read more on that lovely machine.. :hmm:

Love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Don thanks for sharing your trip to Great Falls, Montana. My brother married a girl from there and they live there now. I'm sure he attended that car show you showed photos of as that's one of his great interests. We did go to Great Falls to visit them about 10 years ago and they have since come to Hawaii to visit us. His job and his wife's family keep them there although I know he'd prefer a warmer climate if he had a choice. He tells me that despite the frequent snowfalls they have, it usually doesn't last very long, even in winter, when 60 degree temperatures can replace 30` below in a matter of hours. Don, after living in the tropics for so long do you think you could adjust and be happy going back to live in that environment again?

Thanks again for the great photos that perhaps lacked a bit of color due to the season there. I also did miss seeing a palm here and there as most of your posts always show, ha. Best to you and your family in a more warm, colorful and sometimes chaotic city of Manaus!

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Al,

Yes the weather in Great Falls can vary radically very quickly and normally in the winter the snow is on the groung off and on. It is in reality a near desert as the annual percipitation I believe runs around 20 inches. I guess you can adapt to most anything, climate included. It would probably be harder for me to adapt to living in the USA again than to the climate.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg