IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cycad cones and flushes

Urban Rainforest

Nice visuals...Gentlemen ! :) Most of the big sized cycads being presented in big sized stills... :greenthumb:

Imagine all the above big sized visuals presented in thumbnails.. :angry: i for one will not have visited this thread quite often ? :hmm::)

And iam surprised to hear that many members view palmtalk in their palm top,cell phones & lap tops.In that case they can't expand and view even thumbnails ? :hmm:

If you are all pretty confused as to what iam telling then here is a link !

Photobucket

Love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

This old arenarius had to be repotted, so I cut all the foliage off to manhandle it. It's 14 x 18 and turns out quite blue later.

Gene

post-3403-1252101053_thumb.jpg

post-3403-1252101077_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Here's one for ya, Ceratozamia robusta. Poor pic sorry.

post-51-1252109835_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Nice visuals...Gentlemen ! :) Most of the big sized cycads being presented in big sized stills... :greenthumb:

Imagine all the above big sized visuals presented in thumbnails.. :angry: i for one will not have visited this thread quite often ? :hmm::)

And iam surprised to hear that many members view palmtalk in their palm top,cell phones & lap tops.In that case they can't expand and view even thumbnails ? :hmm:

Photobucket

Love,

Are you too lazy to click on individual thumbnails to enlarge?

LotsOfLove, Ray.

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

More late season flushing and coneage. Here is my Encephalartos Whitelockii flushing and coning at the same time for the second year in a row.

Stevo

post-351-1252201752_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

This thing is off the charts :drool: .

post-351-1252201944_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

First time Horridus coneage :drool: . Male/female :hmm: ?

post-351-1252202168_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The whole plant and pups.

post-351-1252202415_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

First time coner the poor mans Cycad E. Villosus

post-351-1252202560_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

E. Kisambo cones progressing nicely!

post-351-1252203058_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Nice visuals...Gentlemen ! Most of the big sized cycads being presented in big sized stills...

Imagine all the above big sized visuals presented in thumbnails.. i for one will not have visited this thread quite often ?

And iam surprised to hear that many members view palmtalk in their palm top,cell phones & lap tops.In that case they can't expand and view even thumbnails ?

Photobucket

Love,

Kris

Are you too lazy to click on individual thumbnails to enlarge?

LotsOfLove, Ray.

Dear Ray :)

Its purely for speed..If all the stills & images load along with the page,i can visit more threads and also request for more beautiful visuals in other threads. :hmm::lol:

Lots of love to you my friend,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Whewww!! I was always a little worried about this Mejia. I was SOOOO relieved when it started pushing.

Fred, let's see the leaves when they are fully developed and hardened off.

Jody

Here's one for ya, Ceratozamia robusta. Poor pic sorry.

post-51-1252109835_thumb.jpg

Wal with all that leaf litter on the ground, it looks like my place. :drool:

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

Group:

Bowenia spectabilis (male) up on my farm yesterday.

Enjoy - Kurt.

DSC04257.jpg

• Like 1

Kurt

Living the dream in the Rainforest - Average annual rainfall over 4000 mm a year!!!

Whewww!! I was always a little worried about this Mejia. I was SOOOO relieved when it started pushing.

Fred, let's see the leaves when they are fully developed and hardened off.

Jody

The leaves on main plant are starting to harden. Measured it at 6.5'. The pup has already hardened poff

post-1365-1253336821_thumb.jpg

post-1365-1253336844_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Here is a pic of my Encephalartos Arenarius that I planted this year flushing.

post-351-1253410445_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

More late season flushing and coneage. Here is my Encephalartos Whitelockii flushing and coning at the same time for the second year in a row.

Stevo

Update: My Whitelock is in full Jurassic mode right now throwing 8 cones and 3 rows of fronds at the same time :blink: . I'll post pics when the cones are a little bigger.

Stevo

post-351-1253411371_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Stevo

Update: My Whitelock is in full Jurassic mode right now throwing 8 cones and 3 rows of fronds at the same time :blink: . I'll post pics when the cones are a little bigger.

Stevo

Stevo,

My E. whitelockii is also coning and flushing again. If yours is a male, send me pollen, I want seeds this time. I'll return half of them for you!

Brad

IMGP9111.jpg

IMGP9112.jpg

• Like 1

Stevo

Stevo

Stevo,

My E. whitelockii is also coning and flushing again. If yours is a male, send me pollen, I want seeds this time. I'll return half of them for you!

Brad

IMGP9111.jpg

IMGP9112.jpg

Brad, As fate would have it mine is a male and with 8 cones I should get loads of pollen! Consider it done brutha :drool: . What is the best way to send pollen in the male so as not to be mistaken for something nefarius like anthrax or cocain :lol: . BTW, Your Whitelockii looks sweet!

Thanks,

Stevo

:mrlooney:

post-27-1253586515_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Bill, Nice color on that Cycas Plasticifolious :drool: .

Stevo

:lol:

Great thread guys. I've been walking around my neighbor's yard the past few weeks and man things are going off! I'm starting to get a hankering for dem der cikids! :mrlooney:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Here are some very recent photos of my female Encephalartos Kisambo with 3 huge cones at various stages. I just tried my hand at pollinating them with male Kisambo pollen but I am new at this so I hope it works. I waited until there was some separation to pollinate the cones. Here is a pic before the separation.

post-351-1253680742_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Here is a pic with the separation and this is the point I tried to pollinate them.

post-351-1253680866_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Why are the tops of the cones turning black?

Thanks,

Stevo

post-351-1253680996_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Zamia sprouting back from transplant:

post-157-1253846438_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

detail:

post-157-1253846600_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

• 2 weeks later...

I bought this palm as Princeps but I'm not sure if it is Princeps or Lehmannii :hmm: . Either one it is beautifull and is throwing it's second flush this year :drool: .

Stevo

post-351-1255061794_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Close up of the new flush.

post-351-1255061915_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Here is a pic of my E. Whitelockii flushing and throwing 8 cones at once!

post-351-1255062092_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Here is a pic of the whole Whitelockii showing the new flush.

post-351-1255062208_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Here is my coning Horridus. Do you think it is a male or female :hmm: ?

post-351-1255068531_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The reason I ask is if it is a female I was going to try to hybridize it with my Whitelockii :drool: . I know Horridus has been crossed with Natalensis and Arenarius and others so do you think it is possible :hmm: ? Imagine a blue Cycad the size of a Whitelockii :blink: Here is a side view of the cone.

Stevo

post-351-1255068876_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The reason I ask is if it is a female I was going to try to hybridize it with my Whitelockii :drool: . I know Horridus has been crossed with Natalensis and Arenarius and others so do you think it is possible :hmm: ? Imagine a blue Cycad the size of a Whitelockii :blink: Here is a side view of the cone.

Stevo

Sure looks like a female, Stevo. If you get any viable seeds from the cross, please keep me in mind!

I have two seedlilngs of E. ferox X trispinosus, and I am looking forward to watching them grow.

Jody

Looks female to me as well. That could be an incredible cross Stevo, you have to try, please :D

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Hey guys,

New to palmtalk , well actually I've been lurking for over a year or so. I have a female horridus that looks just like yours Stevo so my quess is that yours is Female also. I've included a picture of my Tri also in cone mode I'm not sure if the Tri is Male or Female yet ???post-3920-1255128326_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I bought this palm as Princeps but I'm not sure if it is Princeps or Lehmannii :hmm: . Either one it is beautifull and is throwing it's second flush this year :drool: .

Stevo

Are you happy that you bought it as a Palm then it turned out to be a cycad? :floor: (This would be Pohon's nightmare...)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!