IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cycad cones and flushes

Urban Rainforest

This is a spectacular thread, thanks everyone for the marvelous photos!

Here's my small contribution, from a few of my Cycads:

Encephalartos hildebrandtii:

You have more than a few, Gileno.... You must like your cycads :)

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

This is a spectacular thread, thanks everyone for the marvelous photos!

Here's my small contribution, from a few of my Cycads:

Encephalartos hildebrandtii:

You have more than a few, Gileno.... You must like your cycads :)

Hello Ari,

My love for Cycads is actually recent. I had just a few Cycas revoluta, circinalis and Zamia furfuracea as companion plants to my palms. Some 2 years ago I was offered to buy a small cycad collection from a friend in Recife and then I started buying a few more seeds here and there. These plants are all fascinating and I wish I could visit Australia someday, especially your region, and see all those interesting Cycas in habitat, not to mention the Lepidozamias and Macrozamias further south.

post-157-1244123415_thumb.jpg

post-157-1244123461_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

One of my modest and unspectacular coonties with a fresh crop of leaves. The Florida zamias in this bed have grown pretty rapidly and they function in the garden as smallish shrubs that don't need trimming. The females are starting to produce lots of cones and seeds, so if those seeds aren't harvested, there'll be seedlings everywhere.

This spring, I've planted three young Coccothrinax among the coonties.

post-275-1244173742_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Nice flush on a Zamia verschaffeltii syn splendens .

post-354-1244179604_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Hello Ari,

My love for Cycads is actually recent. I had just a few Cycas revoluta, circinalis and Zamia furfuracea as companion plants to my palms. Some 2 years ago I was offered to buy a small cycad collection from a friend in Recife and then I started buying a few more seeds here and there. These plants are all fascinating and I wish I could visit Australia someday, especially your region, and see all those interesting Cycas in habitat, not to mention the Lepidozamias and Macrozamias further south.

Come on down, Gileno... We have been getting a few visitors lately. It is nice to see people in person.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Im very excited about my Dioon purpusii and its 5 leaf flush!

IMG_4861.jpg

IMG_4863.jpg

• Like 1

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

Hey Bill,

so I am a bit slow with the comedy .....chuckle,chuckle

Maybe I have to get off my hill more (and I am sure there is a way to twist that too).

Anyway -

Here are three pictures that are 10-12 days apart.

Although by name nothing special this plant is one of my favorite.

It is holding 4 sets of leaves plus the new one.

The leafbases of the oldest flush emerge from the mulch about 4 inches away from the visible caudex.

The caudex is about 18 inches in diameter and the leaves are 4-5 feet long.

e.altixtri1.JPG

e.altixtri2.JPG

e.altixtri3.JPG

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

That looks like one heck of a specimen George... NICE ! I'd love to see it in person... I've tried calling you a few times, wanting to come out and buy a few things on your list... and see what you've got, but I've had no luck getting an answer...

Anyway here is a progress shot of my C. Cairnsiana.

Dave

post-3576-1244329439_thumb.jpg

C. Cairnsiana ( Sp. Mt Surprise )

• Like 1

I picked up this cycad from a small nursery; it was buried under the leaves of a bunch of other plants that were all under a large mango tree. It caught my eye because of the cool purple-green color. The broken tag said "mannii"....so, I'm thinking it's encephalartos lehmanni? I don't know much about cycads, but I think it's happier out in full sun now. :)

3602155148_cbab5cef35.jpg

• Like 1

This one of the fastest growing groups Encephalartos I have.

There is a good chance these will turn bluish with age.

The E.altensteinii x trispinosus (a few posts back) was totally green until 4-5 flushes ago (it does flush twice a year).

e.transxleh1.JPG

Happy flushing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

• Like 1

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

couple Zamias (not mine)

Geoff, nice photos of Zamia splendens and Z. imperialis. I noticed they were both copyrighted by "palmbob" from davesgarden.com. Judging by the arrangement of the raised beds and the gravel pathways in a large shade structure, they appear to have been taken at Nong Nooch Tropical Garden in Thailand.

Jody

couple Zamias (not mine)

Geoff, nice photos of Zamia splendens and Z. imperialis. I noticed they were both copyrighted by "palmbob" from davesgarden.com. Judging by the arrangement of the raised beds and the gravel pathways in a large shade structure, they appear to have been taken at Nong Nooch Tropical Garden in Thailand.

Jody

Jody

Geoff = palmbob

The same Geoff who does all the wonderful cycad and palm drawings for books such as "The Cycads"

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

couple Zamias (not mine)

Jody

Jody

Geoff = palmbob

The same Geoff who does all the wonderful cycad and palm drawings for books such as "The Cycads"

Thanks for pointing that out, Bruce. I know Geoff quite well. I had often wondered who "palmbob" was... and now I know!

When he said "not mine," I thought he was referring to both the photos and the plants. You gotta admit, though, that it was a pretty good call on the Nong Nooch location for those photos -- especially for someone who hasn't actually been there (yet!).

My apologies to Sr. Geoff!

Jody

Saw this today on a Macrozamia "Jurian Bay" I had almost given up for dead... :)

post-27-1244479476_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I am no Zamia expert... and not sure the folks at nong Nooch always get it right, either... these plants were identied as Zamia purpurea and Zamia skinneri.

I am no Zamia expert... and not sure the folks at nong Nooch always get it right, either... these plants were identied as Zamia purpurea and Zamia skinneri.

Hi Geoff,

when you took the photo of the Z.imperialis it was still known as Z.skinneri.

Happy shooting (photos that is),

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

Geoff, you're right... the first one is Z. purpurea! George is also right, in that Z. imperialis is a new name that my colleagues and I recently gave to the large-leafleted, red-emergent plants from north-central Atlantic Panama -- because in our research we determined that the name Z. skinneri actually applies to the green-emergent populations on mainland Bocas del Toro, Panama, and that the red-emergent species had no formal name.

Jody

Encephalartos natalensis "Vryheid" just starting to pump.

023-2.jpg

Here it is on the left before it started pushing with the same type of Cycad on the right just hardening a three leaf projectile

002-9.jpg

Dioon merolae with some fuz covered ICBM's

026-2.jpg

Closer

025-3.jpg

• Like 1

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

That cairnsiana is sweet Dave. I've tried a few seedlings, but have killed them both.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Amatuer!

That cairnsiana is sweet Dave. I've tried a few seedlings, but have killed them both.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

kick.gif

Amatuer!

Matt in Temecula, CA

Any thoughts on why..?

Any thoughts on why..?

Both have been very small seedling that I should not have put in the ground. I've had good luck with other seedlings going straight in the ground, but not with these. I'm suspecting overhead water is the culprit from my sprinklers. I have another cairnsiana seedling that has about a 3/4" caudex that I will leave in the pot untill it get's a bit more size. And actually one is still in the ground and appears to still be alive, it just has not pushed a leaf in a year, so maybe, I've only killed one. Only time will tell.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Dioon merolae with some fuz covered ICBM's

Matt,

Are you sure your plant is a D. merolae? Everything about it looks like D. edule to me. Can you send a closeup shot of the median leaflets?

Jody

Any thoughts on why..?

Both have been very small seedling that I should not have put in the ground. I've had good luck with other seedlings going straight in the ground, but not with these. I'm suspecting overhead water is the culprit from my sprinklers. I have another cairnsiana seedling that has about a 3/4" caudex that I will leave in the pot untill it get's a bit more size. And actually one is still in the ground and appears to still be alive, it just has not pushed a leaf in a year, so maybe, I've only killed one. Only time will tell.

Matt

Matt can you have the blue Encephalartos in the ground where you are..?

couple Zamias (not mine)

Jody

Jody,

Geoff is Palmbob....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Any thoughts on why..?

Matt

Matt can you have the blue Encephalartos in the ground where you are..?

Yes, they do fine here.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Jody,

I went out this morning and took a closer shot of one of the leaves on my Cycad. When you say "median leaflets", I assume you mean the leaflets in the middle of the leaf? Or is my rookieness showing again :)

006-9.jpg

• Like 1

Matt in Temecula, CA

Jody,

I went out this morning and took a closer shot of one of the leaves on my Cycad. When you say "median leaflets", I assume you mean the leaflets in the middle of the leaf? Or is my rookieness showing again :)

Yeah, I guess that could be D. merolae now that I see a closeup of the leaflets (and yes, median refers to the leaflets in the middle of the leaf). Is that plant growing in full sun?

Jody

Jody,

Yeah, I guess that could be D. merolae now that I see a closeup of the leaflets (and yes, median refers to the leaflets in the middle of the leaf). Is that plant growing in full sun?

Jody

Jody,

I just purchased it 2 weeks ago, but I think it was either in full sun, or light shade grown locally. It will be planted in full sun (like everything else at my place as I have virtually no canopy yet). I'll post another pic of the new flush when it hardens off.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA