Urban Rainforest

Cycad cones and flushes

Marius

My other smaller one made leaves last year. Nothing thus far this summer. 

1B02366C-EFBC-44FC-845A-6F9FE2D2F2BB.jpeg

Marius

E deyerianus. 5 New leaves and one new leaf per sucker. 

image.jpg

• Like 1

Marius

Middelburgensis update:  leaves all ready longer than previous ones and still growing. 

3606C3B7-3D30-4072-A956-92759B9BECA2.jpeg

• Like 1

Marius

Lebomboensis (one of the three) started yesterday

2799121A-CFE2-4EEF-BAF8-FEF2BF2372E8.jpeg

Tracy
On 12/26/2019 at 10:03 PM, Marius said:

E deyerianus. 5 New leaves and one new leaf per sucker. 

image.jpg

Looks like yours is going to be a vigorous pupper.  I have one that I got as a 2 leaf seedling in early 2011, which pushed a pup while still it was still band size.  It is now hard to discern which is the main caudex as there are several growth points all of equal size.  It is a bit of a tangled mess.  Meanwhile I have another that I got as an offset (female I believe), which has remained solitary now for 7 years.  The tangle is pictured.  It is interesting to see how differently individual plants will grow.

20191222-104A5372.jpg

• Like 1

Marius

Hi Tracy. Yes they can be very different. My one latifrons suckered as a two leaf seedling and has for the last 10 years produced one leaf every two years and its sucker one leaf per year. My new two leaf seedling that I got last summer made two leaves this summer. 

Tracy

Fellow Palmtalk friend Josh Allen came over this morning with a male trispinosis cone and we did the first round of pollination of an Encephalartos horridus female cone.  It should make an interesting hybrid.  Mother plant and cone in the photos.

20200117-104A5448.jpg

20200117-104A5449.jpg

20200117-104A5450.jpg

20200117-104A5451.jpg

• Like 1

Firepalm

Good luck with the hybrid Tracy! They are pretty closely related so it should take well.

Tracy

I have a challenging time with recognizing male versus female cones in the Ceratozamia genus.  A Ceratozamia latifolia that has been coning for a long time now had a cone that was falling off so I thought I should disect it to make the id easy.  Seeing seeds inside it is clearly female.  I've never tried pollinating it although I do have another C latifolia, I don't recall what it's cones look like.  Unfortunately that one is in my rental so I don't see it very often and timing it to get pollen if it is a male is a little challenging.  At least I finally figured out that this one is female.  It is also pushing a new cone, as it seems to push cones at least as frequently as it flushes.

20200224-104A5741.jpg

20200224-104A5738.jpg

20200224-104A5740.jpg

20200224-104A5742.jpg

20200224-104A5743.jpg

• Like 1

Sr. Califas
On 5/9/2009 at 6:04 PM, Urban Rainforest said:

Cycas Cairnsiana new flush.

post-351-1241917485_thumb.jpg

What is this looking like nowadays?

Merlyn2220

Here's my first full-scale flush of the giant Encephalartos Hildebrandtii that I got from ChuckG last summer.  19 new bronze fronds growing fast in this March heatwave!  The offset put out 5 nice new fronds last fall, but I've been waiting for the monster to go.  They are about 5' tall today and gaining 6-10" per day. 

P1050843.JPG.b443450edd7b14b59a2ce76f84d9786d.JPG

• Upvote 1

Tracy
58 minutes ago, Merlyn2220 said:

They are about 5' tall today and gaining 6-10" per day. 

That is a lot of energy to push all those out at that speed.  Nice color on it!

• Like 1

Palm Tree Jim

Glad to her of your heatwave to push along growth.

Here in Southern California, we are experiencing several weeks of cool wet weather.  Not flushing yet in my garden.

Sad.....

Tracy
1 hour ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Glad to her of your heatwave to push along growth.

Here in Southern California, we are experiencing several weeks of cool wet weather.  Not flushing yet in my garden.

Sad.....

I think we are perched on the edge though Jim.  A little bit more warm weather and they will start popping.  My Cycas thouarsii x cupida and some of the pure thouarsii both have pups which are pushing small flushes right now albeit slowly for this time of year.  Overwintering bananas started ripening this last weekend and a bunch of Dypsis are opening new leaves right now, so with the longer days all we need is a little warmer daytime temps.  I like to be optimistic :D !

• Upvote 1

Tracy
9 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Sad.....

While not flushes, the Ceratozamia's are pushing out cones right now.  Ceratozamia robusta (1st & 3rd photos), hildae (2nd photo with clivia flower overhanging) and latifolia (4th photo) pictured.

20200325-104A6024.jpg

20200325-104A6025.jpg

20200325-104A6022.jpg

20200325-104A6026.jpg

• Like 1

Palm Tree Jim
On 3/25/2020 at 10:06 AM, Tracy said:

I think we are perched on the edge though Jim.  A little bit more warm weather and they will start popping.  My Cycas thouarsii x cupida and some of the pure thouarsii both have pups which are pushing small flushes right now albeit slowly for this time of year.  Overwintering bananas started ripening this last weekend and a bunch of Dypsis are opening new leaves right now, so with the longer days all we need is a little warmer daytime temps.  I like to be optimistic :D !

Well said Tracy.

I was just outside doing a walk thru of the garden coming up with some projects and noticed 2 of my princeps are starting to loose color in the fronds. With these two cycads, this is an indication of new growth is not far behind.

Lets hope we are in for some warmer weather and the new growing season.