IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cycad cones and flushes

Urban Rainforest

On 10/11/2020 at 12:37 PM, Merlyn2220 said:

What are you planning to use for pollen?  I haven't seen any Laurentianus x (something), so I have no clue what they might hybridize with.  I have a Gratus x Whitelockii that is really neat, with the draping Gratus style leaves but twice as long as normal. 

Hopefully these girls will be in a "family way" in short order.  Round one of dosing occurred today and just to mix it up, I impulsively decided to grab some pollen from an E nat x horridus which I used on the cone to the far right in the last photo.  As planned I used the sclavoi pollen on the back cone and haven't decided what to use on the one to the far left yet but need to decide tonight.  If you look closely, you can see the cracks between some of the scales.  I think these super large scales on the female cones of this species make it easier to see when they are opening up.

20201021-BH3I1392.jpg

20201021-BH3I1393.jpg

20201021-BH3I1394.jpg

• Like 3

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

On 10/21/2020 at 5:33 PM, Tracy said:

I impulsively decided to grab some pollen from an E nat x horridus which I used on the cone to the far right in the last photo.

Last week I saw the pollen on the E nat x horridus just screaming to be collected and used.  Who could resist a cone that looked like this, just begging.

20201023-BH3I1409.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I'm collecting pollen from these three amigos.  Not sure where to use it, but I'm sure something will come to mind.

20201112-BH3I1793.jpg

20201112-BH3I1794.jpg

• Like 3

On 10/21/2020 at 8:33 PM, Tracy said:

Hopefully these girls will be in a "family way" in short order.  Round one of dosing occurred today and just to mix it up, I impulsively decided to grab some pollen from an E nat x horridus which I used on the cone to the far right in the last photo.  As planned I used the sclavoi pollen on the back cone and haven't decided what to use on the one to the far left yet but need to decide tonight. 

There's a local grower here that says he has Gratus x Laurentianus and they are very fast growers.  I am not sure if they are GxL or LxG, but I am going to take a look in a couple of weeks.  It could be an interesting hybrid!

On 11/13/2020 at 4:25 AM, Tracy said:

I'm collecting pollen from these three amigos.  Not sure where to use it, but I'm sure something will come to mind.

20201112-BH3I1793.jpg

20201112-BH3I1794.jpg

Hi Tracy,  Do you freeze your pollen for long term storage, I’ve let a lot of pollen go to waste, I’ve been thinking about starting to store some, since the timing of cones in my garden never seems right?

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

15 hours ago, freakypalmguy said:

Hi Tracy,  Do you freeze your pollen for long term storage, I’ve let a lot of pollen go to waste, I’ve been thinking about starting to store some, since the timing of cones in my garden never seems right?

Yes on the freezing.  I put the pollen in a labeled envelope that isn't sealed just folded closed, then put that in a zip lock before putting it in a freezer.  I think to really do it properly for preservation, you would want a freezer that goes significantly lower than a household one, but I use what I have.  Fortunately, we have an extra refrigerator in the garage so I have space in that freezer for my baggies.  I hate letting female cones go to waste when the timing is off, which is why I've started saving pollen.  I wrote earlier this year about my Cycas debaoensis being a little off timing and my Cycas thouarsii x cupida male being way behind the female of the same cross.  No guarantees that my pollen will be viable a full year later if the females cone again, but better to have something to try.

Excellent Tracy, thank you for the info. I’ve been saving palm a Cycad pollen in the fridge for short periods but need to save for next season like you mentioned.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

I love this thread!! I am hoping this is my first encephalartos flush!!! Something is creeping out! Any thoughts on if I am lucky :). 20201119_084327.thumb.jpg.fe04c6467b4ec48bda9ddf905f72c90c.jpg20201119_084411.thumb.jpg.96c91c9f09925e21fa23060592114eb0.jpg

• 1 month later...

A hat for this girl.  Since its raining and she just got pollinated I don't want the rain to wash out the pollen.  It gives a nice perspective on how big the cone is too.

20201228-BH3I2127.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Late 2020 flush started October 20ish. You can see the progression, things looking real good and exiting. Then... we got an early November frost :badday::(  :crying:

Still looking beautiful and blue despite the cold spots! :)

232058793_IMG_0750(1).thumb.jpg.8f018dc0860792fe0d2892895fe7fb41.jpg

2052041603_IMG_0751(1).thumb.jpg.a24a814eec7ed5fb2ceb00443f7fb0e5.jpg

1504453491_IMG_0764(1).thumb.jpg.762118f0d685a40ffbb735ee2f9fb59d.jpg

501672187_IMG_0779(1).thumb.jpg.2758b155086ae6eb70306e58dc9a9e9d.jpg

Post frost pictures. Please cycads, don't flush in the middle of a heat wave or frost.  :)

IMG_1108.thumb.jpg.8e6c26981e7c633c9b273da21f2bfa24.jpg

IMG_1821.thumb.jpg.e305696ca13929f00af59bc706433a46.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

First time my natalensis has coned, and it's a female. My female concinus is also conning.

Concinus cones.jpg

Natalensis cone.jpg

• Like 4

52% 9B / 42% 10A / 6% "Other"

Brandon.gif

On 12/28/2020 at 6:47 PM, Tracy said:

A hat for this girl.  Since its raining and she just got pollinated I don't want the rain to wash out the pollen.  It gives a nice perspective on how big the cone is too.

Her hat is off now.  Had a little oozing from where she was injected with the pollen, but that only served to seal up the wounds so that the rain is sealed out.  The big pup and the main caudex are pumping up the juices for a flush.  The main caudex flush which is still building below the surface like a volcano has push clearly pushed the cone off center.  This is Encephalartos horridus x woodii is always at the top of my revolving favorites list.

20210124-BH3I2356.jpg

20210124-BH3I2357.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

This Macrozamia communis is quite colourful, now that it is falling apart.

Do they always develop like this even if not fertilized?

20210319_175242.jpg.8569ffee170a86e53f8f278f8b98dfe0.jpg

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

On 3/19/2021 at 9:12 PM, gtsteve said:

This Macrozamia communis is quite colourful, now that it is falling apart.

Do they always develop like this even if not fertilized?

Yes Steve, visually they look the same whether pollinated or not.  That is why you have to do float tests and open up a few seeds to see if the embryos are developing even if you pollinate to determine if they are viable.  Looking at a decaying cone doesn't tell you anything about whether the cone has been pollinated.  I don't know what the extent of the range is for the natural pollinator for these is in Australia but perhaps someone else there knows if they are present where you live.

• Like 1

I was thrilled to see this big Hildebrandtii starting a flush a couple of weeks ago.  In early January the tree guys lost a 40' long piece of an 80' tall pine tree, and it fell over the entire bed of cycads.  The trunk landed on the center of the Hildebrandtii and broke about half of the fronds off.  I had to cut off pretty much everything on the side towards the camera.  It responded with an early flush of around 22 fronds!  The Zamia Picta/Variegata on the right has put up 1 or 2 fronds from the 4 caudexes, so it looks like it'll recover soon.  The unknown small Zamia on the bottom left was completely defoliated by the pine, and hasn't shown signs of motion yet.  But hopefully soon!

288093233_P1070811Hildebrandtiiflushing.thumb.JPG.76db914c6a57b30a021c099470a43e07.JPG

• Like 3

First cone on this Cycas szechuanensis ssp fairylakea which is clearly male.  I just hope it isn't as fragrant as Cycas thouarsii, as it is right outside my wife's bedroom window and she doesn't like the smell of thouarsii cones.

20210324-BH3I3281.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/24/2021 at 11:27 AM, Tracy said:

Her hat is off now.  Had a little oozing from where she was injected with the pollen, but that only served to seal up the wounds so that the rain is sealed out.  The big pup and the main caudex are pumping up the juices for a flush.  The main caudex flush which is still building below the surface like a volcano has push clearly pushed the cone off center.  This is Encephalartos horridus x woodii is always at the top of my revolving favorites list.

20210124-BH3I2356.jpg

20210124-BH3I2357.jpg

What did you juice her with???

Walking through my garden and found this laurentianus starting to flush. A little early but I won't complain!

IMG_3940.jpg

On 3/25/2021 at 1:08 PM, Tracy said:

First cone on this Cycas szechuanensis ssp fairylakea which is clearly male.  I just hope it isn't as fragrant as Cycas thouarsii, as it is right outside my wife's bedroom window and she doesn't like the smell of thouarsii cones.

20210324-BH3I3281.jpg

Do you know the cold hardiness of Cycas szechuanensis?

16 hours ago, amh said:

Do you know the cold hardiness of Cycas szechuanensis?

No, but there is probably some information out there on it.  I seem to recall that the habitat is a little different for the two main sub-species, so you would also want to research that if you have a specific target range.

22 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Walking through my garden and found this laurentianus starting to flush. A little early but I won't complain!

IMG_3940.jpg

Jim, my experience with this species is that it can pop at any time.  Mine pushed it's last flush after coning last summer, so the flush was just going above the wall next to it as we hit winter temps, wind and rain.  It was the perfect storm for damaging the upper half of the flush.  Hopefully as yours pushes out we will be out of the nasty weather so you get a clean looking flush.  Mine is holding two flushes plus the 3 big cones, but I'm already looking forward to a mid-summer flush this time so I can cut off the trashy looking last flush.  As we say, just one flush away from beauty again.

• Like 2

Tracy,

In the past this cycad always flushed late in the year and it never would look it’s best.

My guess is the new flush could be close to 12 feet, and that’s based on the last flush.

Let’s hope for some luck with this flush.

On 3/29/2021 at 5:52 PM, Cycadsavy said:

What is this?

not completely certain but i believe this is a Lat x Hor. only a few have been made and this plant fits the size for the time they were made. 

Here's one of my Laurentianus, starting what looks like a 4 leaf flush.  It put up 3 fronds late last summer, about 8-10' long.  They were somewhat damaged with 28F and frost, then 31F and heavy frost in January.  So it'll be nice to see a new set on this one.  That's the fronds of a vaguely-ID'd Cycas photobombing from the right side. 

1011354584_P1070912Laurentianusflush.thumb.JPG.7eafd881074ad0dac00e47acb06464e5.JPG

And here's another one that I've been hoping for a flush.  It got completely defoliated by the pine tree, except for about 8 inches of one frond.  Theoretically it's an E. Manikensis "Choala," though I haven't confirmed the ID yet.  And yes, I really need to get out there and weed!

499968487_P1070926ManikensisChoalaflush.thumb.JPG.0941611a6fe33b65603d20d1c80a2c94.JPG

And another that was 99% defoliated in the pine tree debacle.  This unknown Zamia looks like it is growing from almost all heads, I think about 10 spots.  It's kind of a Furfuracea / Loddigesii thing.  Once the fronds finish I'll have to post a few photos and see if anyone can ID it.

983572754_P1070923Zamiaflush.thumb.JPG.19f647893bd2294888532fcede12673e.JPG

• Like 1

On 3/31/2021 at 9:18 AM, DippyD said:

not completely certain but i believe this is a Lat x Hor. only a few have been made and this plant fits the size for the time they were made. 

Interesting.  I know there are some E horridus x latifrons, but not aware of the opposite cross.  Usually the mother plant is the more rare in crosses unless someone just can't get the right male pollen to do the "pure" pollination (e.g. E latifrons x latifrons).  I never asked George Sparkman about his E horridus x latifrons hybrids and if it was his own pollination or if he acquired the seedlings from the person who did the cross, but I was aware he had some.

I was at Leu Gardens today and found this big coning Dioon Mejiae.  It was brilliant white, and probably 10" in diameter. 

1072196890_20210402_145804DioonMejiaeconing.thumb.jpg.293c5c8260203275c22703d5be1d2323.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2021 at 6:09 PM, Tracy said:

Interesting.  I know there are some E horridus x latifrons, but not aware of the opposite cross.  Usually the mother plant is the more rare in crosses unless someone just can't get the right male pollen to do the "pure" pollination (e.g. E latifrons x latifrons).  I never asked George Sparkman about his E horridus x latifrons hybrids and if it was his own pollination or if he acquired the seedlings from the person who did the cross, but I was aware he had some.

Hi Tracy, my understanding from talking to George about this over the years was the opposite.  He told me that female Latifrons was basically never used to create hybrids and that the more "rare" portion of the hybrid was usually contributed by the male because pollen is easier to come by than cones (more males in general and pollen is plentiful compared to cones).  If he had female Latifrons coning he would just use Latifrons pollen to make "pure" Latifrons.   He mentioned this is why you see crosses like Longifolius x Horridus, but rarely the opposite cross.  I also recall him mentioning several times that he did not like to use male "hybrid" pollen on anything because the results were less stable/predictable.  In all of his three-way crosses, it was the female that was hybrid and then crossed with something unique like Latifrons, Horridus, etc.  Does anyone know what became of his nursery/plants?  He had so many interesting projects in the works...

• Upvote 1

On 4/16/2021 at 9:14 AM, Firepalm said:

Hi Tracy, my understanding from talking to George about this over the years was the opposite.  He told me that female Latifrons was basically never used to create hybrids and that the more "rare" portion of the hybrid was usually contributed by the male because pollen is easier to come by than cones (more males in general and pollen is plentiful compared to cones).  If he had female Latifrons coning he would just use Latifrons pollen to make "pure" Latifrons.   He mentioned this is why you see crosses like Longifolius x Horridus, but rarely the opposite cross.  I also recall him mentioning several times that he did not like to use male "hybrid" pollen on anything because the results were less stable/predictable.  In all of his three-way crosses, it was the female that was hybrid and then crossed with something unique like Latifrons, Horridus, etc.  Does anyone know what became of his nursery/plants?  He had so many interesting projects in the works...

You are dead on.  I wrote that wrong, but in my description and naming was saying the same thing you are.   E latifrons x horridus would be a strange cross unless someone with a female latifrons cone just couldn't get any latifrons pollen.  That is why he had E arenarius x latifrons, E (arenarius x latifrons) x latifrons and E (arenarius x horridus) x latifrons.  I snapped up all of these which are now growing in my garden along with the E longifolius x horridus cross you mention.  Good correction!

Encephalartos princeps kicking off my prime spring growing season for cycads.  There have been other cycads, particularly Cycas flushing through winter and early spring, but this one is leading off the seasonally sensitive species to flush.  Hard to beat the colors of both the hardened off flush and the new flush of E princeps.  I was expecting this might cone instead of flush this year, but still waiting for that to happen.

20210427-BH3I3494.jpg

20210427-BH3I3495.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I was out on Saturday late afternoon, and noticed the flush on the Encephalartos princeps leaning toward the sun.  I've noticed similar things over the years but was inclined to grab my camera to document it this time.  Sure enough when I went out the next morning the flush was symmetrical again, with no westward lean.  I'm sure others have noticed similar tilts particularly with soft new flushes, but thought it worthwhile to share with a visual.

20210508-BH3I3921.jpg

20210508-BH3I3922.jpg

• Like 4

My Sago is flushing! I was beginning to wonder whether or not they were gonna flush at all this Spring.

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

On 3/25/2021 at 11:08 AM, Tracy said:

20210324-BH3I3281.jpg

About a month and a half later here is what that Cycas szechuanensis ssp fairylakea cone looks like.  Thus far it has not had a strong odor or I would have heard about it given the proximity to our bedroom windows.

20210513-BH3I3971.jpg

Plain old Sago flush, i always love the look of a new flush, bright green fronds always look good on a Sago unless its an unhealthy bright green.

20210515_143151.jpg

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

I was happy, no, thrilled to discover that both my C. debaoensis and the hybrid (Deb X Tait? Deb X Panz? Joseph said it gets big.) I got from Texas Cold Hardy are sending up velvety shoots. Just one each so far, but even so it's more than I expected; last year was rough on them and I wasn't there to coddle. No photo because there's not much to see yet. Any advice to urge them along?

Edited by Manalto
  • Like 1