IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cycad cones and flushes

Urban Rainforest

I was happy to see a new flush on my C. debaoensis earlier this month, though a bit disappointed that there were only 2 fronds,
which have reached a meter and a half in length and are just starting to unfurl. To my great suprise and delight, I noted yesterday
that it decided to send up 2 more fronds, as if the first two were just to test the waters. I expect that the fronds will peak out
at 2 meters in length.

Tall.jpg.a7efa653fced03fd30f7bb99508f05ac.jpg  New.jpg.0274a751216856444059446c394f504e.jpg

I'm very excited, maybe more will show...

Richard

• Like 1

It just dawned on me why the flush on my C. debaoensis is only 2 fronds and why after partially growing the first flush it sent up another. It has decided to go double header. Inspecting the photo above clearly shows two growing points right next to each other

Richard

Edited by GDLWyverex

It really is hard to tell just how many pups this Encephalartos nubmontanus has now.  This is just one side of it, but there are new leaflets pushing up through the soil adjacent to some of the existing pups.  I actually wish it would have remained solitary, or just a couple of pups that could easily be removed when larger, but it is going to be a mass of plants.

20200524-BH3I0057.jpg

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

A recent Dioon Spinulosum planting from ChuckG rewarded me with a nice 7 leaf flush!  The older leaves were beat up a bit from transport and planting, but it's happy in it's new spot, woohoo!  

P1060129.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ceratozamia norstogii female cone. Not something you see every day. 

20200528_141359.jpg

• Upvote 1

Ceratozamia microstrobila. We have a male and female coning this year!

20200528_141332.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 5/24/2020 at 8:16 AM, Tracy said:

It really is hard to tell just how many pups this Encephalartos nubmontanus has now.  This is just one side of it, but there are new leaflets pushing up through the soil adjacent to some of the existing pups.  I actually wish it would have remained solitary, or just a couple of pups that could easily be removed when larger, but it is going to be a mass of plants.

20200524-BH3I0057.jpg

These seem to pup like crazy! I had to remove a couple last year off mine just so it had enough room and this year it’s got new ones... nice plant though! 

17 minutes ago, GeneAZ said:

Burp!

Hoping for a double burp on my E lehmanii, but only a "little" belch thus far.  The main caudex got set back with the late April rains which caused it to ooze a bunch of starch.  It's cleaned up now, but probably reloading a bit before bursting out.

20200528-BH3I0138.jpg

• Like 2

And a sideways belch on the Encephalartos arenarius x woodii.  This side sprout emerged last year from where it coned the prior year.  3 male cones that year but only one of the spots did this last year, although at least one of the other two looks like it may create another side growth this year.  Another big pup on the backside, adjacent to where I removed a large 10"-12" pup a couple of years ago.

20200528-BH3I0107.jpg

20200528-BH3I0108.jpg

Encephalartos manikensis flushing from several heads

Encephalartos manikensis.jpg

• Like 1

18n. Hot, humid and salty coastal conditions.

Sorry duplicated

Edited by Brian

Of all my Zamia vazquezii this is the only one that flushes brown

zamia vazquezii.jpg

• Like 1

Zamia paucijuga is widely distributed and has so many varieties that it makes me wonder is some are different species. This one comes from the coastal mountains of Michoacan. 

Coning Zamia paucijuga 

Zamia paucijuga cone.jpg

Zamia paucijuga leaf.jpg

• Like 1

This Encephalartos longifolius flushed yellow and I thought something was wrong with it however after a week its starting to get greener.

Encephalartos longifolius yellow.jpg

Encephalartos longifolius.jpg

Here is a flush of an unknown encephalartos

Unknown.jpg

• Like 1

This encephalartos arenarius flushed about two weeks ago and is just now hardening off.

encephalartos arenarius.jpg

• Like 1

Cycas cairnsiana flush and a macrozamia cone for your viewing pleasure. 

20200528_142837.jpg

20200528_141149.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

20200528_141149.jpg

Cool, do you know how old the Macrozamia is and what kind of species it is.

i would like to know how long i have to wait until mine start growing cones.

On 6/4/2020 at 2:01 PM, Palm Tree Jim said:

Nice and shiny.

I like Shiny!  I also like twisted and kinky.

20200605-104A6764.jpg

20200605-104A6765.jpg

20200605-104A6766.jpg

20200605-104A6767.jpg

• Like 3

On 5/29/2020 at 10:12 PM, DippyD said:

These seem to pup like crazy! I had to remove a couple last year off mine just so it had enough room and this year it’s got new ones... nice plant though! 

I did a lot more trimming of healthy leaves this year due to an abundance of pups on this.  There just wasn't enough head room for the pups and main caudex to push the new flushes without everything getting tangled when emerging.  I did the same with a few others as well, both big and small species.  Starting with the Encephalartos nubimontanus, my still small cupidus with multiple caudex and my big boy E arenarius x woodii.  His main caudex may give me another male cone this year, last year he skipped coning and just flushed, which was ok with me.  You can see a couple of leaves from new pups coming off the main pup on the left.

20200605-104A6763.jpg

20200605-104A6741.jpg

20200605-104A6747.jpg

• Like 1

Pups can sometimes be a problem Tracy.

Im always torn on whether to prune or not.

3139FA9B-FFD6-4799-990C-66D1F44D4E40.jpeg

• Like 2

On 6/4/2020 at 5:01 PM, Palm Tree Jim said:

Nice and shiny.

5690910A-F630-4334-B37E-2F9224DCFF0E.jpeg

Which type is this one?  The crease in the leaves towards the upper right side of the photo makes me think something in the Manikensis Alliance.  But the rest of the leaves don't look like them at all.

13 hours ago, Merlyn2220 said:

Which type is this one?  The crease in the leaves towards the upper right side of the photo makes me think something in the Manikensis Alliance.  But the rest of the leaves don't look like them at all.

It's a hybrid.

Natalensis x woodii F2.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Latifrons.

IMG_3139.jpg

Nice!   Looks like it's like that caudex is getting big Jim.  After this flush pushes it will be even wider.

• Like 1

Tracy, I would say the caudex is already 12 inches across.

Maybe it will start to grow upwards over the upcoming years.