IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cycad cones and flushes

Urban Rainforest

On 11/23/2018 at 9:09 PM, Tracy said:

My Encphalartos lebomboensis had an ugly flush last winter, not sure what happened as I only see it intermittently at my rental.  It has recuperated, with a nice set of what appear to be female large cones.

20181123-104A1588.jpg

If you remember last winter a very bad heat wave that torched a lot of things could be the cause. 

On 4/17/2019 at 8:09 AM, Kevin S said:

If you remember last winter a very bad heat wave that torched a lot of things could be the cause. 

It is possible if considered in isolation or if it was flushing when that happened, but I don't think it was flushing when that transpired.  Relative to the isolation, there is a healthy Dioon edule on one side, a much more temperamental Cycas thouarsii to it's other side on the south, along with E natalensis x arenarius, Ceratozamia latifolia all very nearby which showed no signs of damage.  Hopefully a one off event that won't repeat with the E lebomboensis.

Can't help but love the look of the most formal looking blue Encephalartos when it's flushing:  Encephalartos princeps.

20190418-LI9A7919.jpg

• Upvote 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

36 minutes ago, Tracy said:

It is possible if considered in isolation or if it was flushing when that happened, but I don't think it was flushing when that transpired.  Relative to the isolation, there is a healthy Dioon edule on one side, a much more temperamental Cycas thouarsii to it's other side on the south, along with E natalensis x arenarius, Ceratozamia latifolia all very nearby which showed no signs of damage.  Hopefully a one off event that won't repeat with the E lebomboensis.

Can't help but love the look of the most formal looking blue Encephalartos when it's flushing:  Encephalartos princeps.

20190418-LI9A7919.jpg

Agree.

Princeps are at the top.

• Like 1

This might not be the most dramatic flush, but it's really cool to me!  My first Encephalartos flush ever, a Whitelockii I got from PT member ChuckG and planted in early February.  Apparently it likes this spot!

P1040956 cropped.JPG

On 4/24/2019 at 10:13 AM, Merlyn2220 said:

This might not be the most dramatic flush, but it's really cool to me!  My first Encephalartos flush ever, a Whitelockii

Yup that is exciting, seeing the first flush on your very own plant!  Hopefully you have provided your Encephalartos whitelockii plenty of room to grow, as they get supersize in not too long a time.

Going in the opposite direction for size, this is a Zamia standleyi male coning again.  The flush it is holding looks pretty rancid at this point in time.  It keeps coning (old cones along with the new ones popping up), rather than flushing.  I went back and searched and see thes same leaves were in place as far back as August 2016, so it flushed them sometime prior to that.  It could be 3 years now since it has flushed, but it's definitely still viable as the cones prove.

Anyone have this problem with Zamia standleyi males (or females), which keep coning without giving flushes?

20190423-104A3068.jpg

20190423-104A3069.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/24/2019 at 5:13 PM, Merlyn2220 said:

This might not be the most dramatic flush, but it's really cool to me!  My first Encephalartos flush ever...

Not only to you, everyone feels like that when a cycad flushes, and even more when it is at home.

My first ceratozamia zaragoza and microstrobila. Very excited about the zaragoza.

20190425_130153.jpg

20190425_130237.jpg

20190425_130754.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tracy said:

Yup that is exciting, seeing the first flush on your very own plant!  Hopefully you have provided your Encephalartos whitelockii plenty of room to grow, as they get supersize in not too long a time.

I have it planted on a "peninsula" of a flower bed with some orange bird of paradise on either side.  The original fronds are about 8 feet long but a bit stretched from growing in some shade, so I'm eager to see what size it'll be now that it's in a lot of sun.  I can make the bed wider if it starts attacking me when I mow...  :D 

I think all cycad flushes are cool, even an older Cycas Revoluta that just flushed 28 new fronds.  The other one I'm really happy about at the moment is a Cycas Pectinata seedling.  I potted it up really carefully and then broke the tip off the 0.5" tall new flush at the last second.  Fortunately it either had a second one hidden or quickly decided to grow another.  Either way I'm happy it's flushing another quickly!

P1040966 cropped.JPG

On 4/25/2019 at 9:02 PM, Merlyn2220 said:

I potted it up really carefully and then broke the tip off the 0.5" tall new flush at the last second.  Fortunately it either had a second one hidden or quickly decided to grow another.  Either way I'm happy it's flushing another quickly!

It is like that, I had one with three leaves in the flush, by a bad coorditantion of fingers, I broke two of them, but it reflushed.

Encephalartos blue arenarius x latifrons flushing.  Still small, but is definitely showing the blue.  Will have to see if the leaflets on this next flush start trending more toward the latifrons look.

20190502-104A3099-3.jpg

20190502-104A3099.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Tracy said:

Encephalartos blue arenarius x latifrons flushing.  Still small, but is definitely showing the blue.  Will have to see if the leaflets on this next flush start trending more toward the latifrons look.

20190502-104A3099-3.jpg

20190502-104A3099.jpg

Tracy,

How old is the plant?

Based on your comments, the leaf structure is more like arenarius versus latifrons?

I could only imagine what a blue leafed latifrons hybrid would look like!

3 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Tracy,

How old is the plant?

Based on your comments, the leaf structure is more like arenarius versus latifrons?

I could only imagine what a blue leafed latifrons hybrid would look like!

I got two of these from slightly different maternal heritage at the same time.  One is Encephalartos "blue form" arenarius x latifrons, and the other is Encephalartos blue arenarius x latifrons.  Both are similar in size, and both flushing right now.  I looked back and I have had them since at least summer of 2015, perhaps acquired early in 2015 or late 2014 as band size plants.  The photo below shows one flushing in 8/2015, but I know it the shorter stockier leaves all flushed in my hands, with the two oldest and stretched leaves coming out of the greenhouse, so I couldn't have had it more than a year before the photo.   Leaf form definitely resembles the arenarius side, and even looks similar to a E longifolius x horridus when it was this age.  Still at this size, I wouldn't be at all surprised (expecting even) that leaf structure will continue to morph.  These are just coming out of their toddler years to young childhood.  I've posted pics of the E (arenarius x latiforns) x latifrons and no blue to be seen.  The E (arenarius x horridus) x latifrons is showing some hope for blue but leaves still look more like a green E horridus on mine at this stage.  So crossing to get a blue leaf with structure of latifrons, with the bonus of the hybrid vigor is still illusive!

My best guess the plant in my photo above is about 5-6 years old from seed (assuming first leaf emerged in 2013 or early 2014).

20150806-LI9A1772_Encephalartos_arenarius_x_latifrons.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tracy said:

I got two of these from slightly different maternal heritage at the same time.  One is Encephalartos "blue form" arenarius x latifrons, and the other is Encephalartos blue arenarius x latifrons.  Both are similar in size, and both flushing right now.  I looked back and I have had them since at least summer of 2015, perhaps acquired early in 2015 or late 2014 as band size plants.  The photo below shows one flushing in 8/2015, but I know it the shorter stockier leaves all flushed in my hands, with the two oldest and stretched leaves coming out of the greenhouse, so I couldn't have had it more than a year before the photo.   Leaf form definitely resembles the arenarius side, and even looks similar to a E longifolius x horridus when it was this age.  Still at this size, I wouldn't be at all surprised (expecting even) that leaf structure will continue to morph.  These are just coming out of their toddler years to young childhood.  I've posted pics of the E (arenarius x latiforns) x latifrons and no blue to be seen.  The E (arenarius x horridus) x latifrons is showing some hope for blue but leaves still look more like a green E horridus on mine at this stage.  So crossing to get a blue leaf with structure of latifrons, with the bonus of the hybrid vigor is still illusive!

My best guess the plant in my photo above is about 5-6 years old from seed (assuming first leaf emerged in 2013 or early 2014).

20150806-LI9A1772_Encephalartos_arenarius_x_latifrons.jpg

Thanks.

G Sparkman stock?

44 minutes ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Thanks.

G Sparkman stock?

Yes, almost all of my Encephalartos species are from George as well as most of my Cycas species cycads.  I can only think of five Encephalartos that I didn't get from him:  an E lehmannii, an E horridus, 2 E princeps, and an E transvenosus.  All of those were acquired before I met George.  Not to do a commercial, but he has such a nice selection of both species and hybrids as well as various sizes that I find little reason to look elsewhere when it comes to large Encephalartos or some of the more unusual ones.  With some things I had to start smaller, such as the hybrids because they weren't readily available in bigger sizes when I got them.  With most "species" you have even different forms within the species to select from, and big sizes, not just seedlings or undersized plants potted up into 5's and 15's.  Since he sells the cycads by caudex size for the most part, he's not motivated to move plants up into bigger containers.  Bottom line, he is a good source!

• Like 1

Cones... one followed by a second male on a Lepidiozamia peroffskyana.  Last time this boy pushed two cones I think they came out simultaneously as opposed to one lagging significantly behind.

20190509-104A3177.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cycas micholotzii female.  Quarter for size reference.  

20190522_170046.jpg

20190522_170100.jpg

• Upvote 1

Ceratozamia Microstobila. It looks absolutely stunning in person.  I think this particular plant may be the most attractive cycad that I have with that powder purple hue. 

As I type this my favorite purple/ white lehmanii is flushing which will probably result in me changing my mind and declaring it my favorite in a few weeks...

20190522_165854.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Ceratozamia Microstobila. It looks absolutely stunning in person.  I think this particular plant may be the most attractive cycad that I have with that powder purple hue. 

As I type this my favorite purple/ white lehmanii is flushing which will probably result in me changing my mind and declaring it my favorite in a few weeks...

20190522_165854.jpg

Very nice plant!

4 hours ago, yeye said:

Have you plan to pollinate them ?

Yes of course.  

On 5/23/2019 at 6:39 AM, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

20190522_165854.jpg

That color is really beautiful!  Different light on the plant pictured below, but it gets that blueish tint at one point during it's flush.  I believe it is a Zamia, although some have suggested it is a Ceratozamia.  It's small and has coned which is why I lean toward guessing it is a Zamia versus Ceratozamia, but I don't know.  I need to get better pictures of the cone next time it pushes one and see if anyone recognizes it.

20180616-104A9684 Zamia no id.jpg

This Ceratozamia mexicana has never ceased to impress me with it's colorful flush.  A few raindrops on it's shiny leaflets made it extra special yesterday morning.

20190526-104A3619.jpg

Male cycas bifida cones on the first pic and female micholitzii cone on second with a quarter for scale. 

20190526_134901.jpg

20190522_170100.jpg

20190522_170046.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 4:34 PM, Tracy said:

This Ceratozamia mexicana has never ceased to impress me with it's colorful flush.  A few raindrops on it's shiny leaflets made it extra special yesterday morning.

20190526-104A3619.jpg

With bronze flush it is not mexicana for sure !

4 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Male cycas bifida cones on the first pic and female micholitzii cone on second with a quarter for scale. 

20190526_134901.jpg

20190522_170100.jpg

20190522_170046.jpg

Hi Joseph

Any seeds for sale soon ?

Here is cycas thoursii.  This thing was flushing when we hit 117 last July and it got totally fried, so I dug it up.  Seems to be recovering now.

Below that is E Altensteinii.  Also had to dig this up after last summer but is recovering well.  

A07A419B-2131-4673-B4C0-2133E4B15991.jpeg

C1CB5AAB-A09C-4A37-BF6D-103D8B8BF410.jpeg

I’ve been told this is of the manikensis complex, but it was sold by The Huntington as Encephalartos Sp.  It was a tiny baby two years ago but loves being in the ground. 

C1A75504-FA43-439F-B7AB-DEC2DCD70766.jpeg

A07D66DC-0F8A-4193-9150-F2D96F7E4E58.jpeg

3 hours ago, SprGarden said:

I’ve been told this is of the manikensis complex, but it was sold by The Huntington as Encephalartos Sp.  It was a tiny baby two years ago but loves being in the ground. 

Pretty sure this one is not Manikensis. The leaves don’t look right. Looks like one of the larger leaf green species.  Once the new leaves harden off post some pictures and it will be much easier to id. Looks happy whatever it is. 

• Like 1

On 5/29/2019 at 12:44 PM, yeye said:

With bronze flush it is not mexicana for sure !

I have discussed with others more knowledge than I have on identification and was advised that while most Ceratozamia mexicana flush green, some do flush with bronze color.  It was labeled as C mexicana when I bought it as a small seedling 15 years ago and has otherwise looked like a C mexicana once hardened off.  Still hasn't coned even though it is one of my older Ceratozamias.  What does this Ceratozamia look like?

20140904-IMG_8518_Ceratozamia.jpg

On 5/29/2019 at 5:10 PM, SprGarden said:

I'm leaning toward natalensis or a hybrid of natalensis.

An Encephalartos "single" trispinosis pupping twice and turning into a "tri" Encephalartos trispinosis.  I cut off a couple of lower leaves on the main caudex, so that the new pup flushes would have room to push to the sky.

20190602-104A3710.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/2/2019 at 9:19 PM, Cikas said:

It is just Cycas revoluta, but still beautifull.

P6011626.jpg

P6011625.jpg

Still if it is just a Cycas revoluta, it is beautiful.

Edited by Dr Sha
  • Upvote 1

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 3:17 AM, Tracy said:

I have discussed with others more knowledge than I have on identification and was advised that while most Ceratozamia mexicana flush green, some do flush with bronze color.  It was labeled as C mexicana when I bought it as a small seedling 15 years ago and has otherwise looked like a C mexicana once hardened off.  Still hasn't coned even though it is one of my older Ceratozamias.  What does this Ceratozamia look like?

20140904-IMG_8518_Ceratozamia.jpg

It could be an Hybrid too

Pregnant?  I hope so as she is starting to burst at the seams.

20190608-104A3741.jpg

20190608-104A3741-2.jpg

• Like 1