IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cycad cones and flushes

Urban Rainforest

I'm very sad, I don't have any cones :blink: I have many moons before most of mine start coneing

Incredible cycads gents, I'm enjoying this thread greatly.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

George, That Princeps and Arenarius are amazing! Is that normal for Princeps to have such a green flush? Thanks for posting.

Stevo

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Dioon merolae, one of my favorite Dioons

002-7.jpg

Matt, I missed this one... I hate to break your heart, but your plant is Dioon califanoi. Below is a photo of a slightly larger D. merolae with a new flush last year:

dmerolaenewflush2.jpg

And here is a photo of the leaves of D. merolae (left) and D. califanoi (right) side by side for direct comparison. Other than the obvious differences in color and the tomentum, the primary diagnostic differences are the angle of insertion of the leaflets -- with D. califanoi having a much greater angle -- and the cross-section of the leaf itself -- with D. califanoi being keeled and D. merolae being more flat to declinate. As the plants age, D. merolae will also retain the leaflet spination, while it is typically much reduced or lost completely in D. califanoi.

dmerolaecalifanoileaves.jpg

Hope this helps.

Jody

Matt, I missed this one... I hate to break your heart, but your plant is Dioon califanoi. Below is a photo of a slightly larger D. merolae with a new flush last year:

And here is a photo of the leaves of D. merolae (left) and D. califanoi (right) side by side for direct comparison. Other than the obvious differences in color and the tomentum, the primary diagnostic differences are the angle of insertion of the leaflets -- with D. califanoi having a much greater angle -- and the cross-section of the leaf itself -- with D. califanoi being keeled and D. merolae being more flat to declinate. As the plants age, D. merolae will also retain the leaflet spination, while it is typically much reduced or lost completely in D. califanoi.

dmerolaecalifanoileaves.jpg

Hope this helps.

Jody

No problem Jody, D. califanoi is another great Dioon that I do not have yet. It was sold to me for 15$ a year ago, so I think either way, I got a great deal. Thank you for the ID.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

I figured I need to mix it up a bit.

So here is a E.lehmannii just getting busy.

e.lehmanniiflush1.JPG

Note the colour of the leafbases and the attachment angle

of the leaflets compared to E.princeps shown in earlier posts.

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

• Like 1

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

Took this photo today at Clayton's Utopia gardens. Looks like the birth of an alien.

post-51-1242472948.jpg

post-51-1242472948_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I was at the Atlanta Botanical Garden yesterday and took this shot of an Encephalartos arenarius flushing (camera phone shot)

Photo_051509_044.jpg

• Like 1

Matt in Temecula, CA

Matt,

that's a great example of a shaded E.arenarius flushing

and the resulting large spacing between the new leaflets.

There should be a botanical garden close to more airports.

Happy shooting (photos that is),

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

Matt,

that's a great example of a shaded E.arenarius flushing

and the resulting large spacing between the new leaflets.

There should be a botanical garden close to more airports.

Happy shooting (photos that is),

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

Thank you George, I was surprised to see all these cycads growing inside in such filtered light. They all looked so great. This one had great color also.

I had to use the local Atlanta transportation system (MARTA) to get there then walk a mile, but it was worth it.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

I was at the Atlanta Botanical Garden yesterday and took this shot of an Encephalartos arenarius flushing (camera phone shot)

Photo_051509_044.jpg

Hey Freakypalmguy, what were you doing in Atlanta? I went to the garden last year and was blown away. The Kerriodoxa elegans there was AMAZING! Do you have any pix?

Mike Hegger

Northwest Clairemont

San Diego, California

4 miles from coast

I thought I should switch the genus and go to Cycas (so I don't beat the thread to death with Encephalartos).

Here is a Cycas circinalis (small seeds from India - not C.rumphii) with totally soft new leaves

growing very nicely in full sun in Fallbrook in the ground

(in the ground seems to be the only way to get them to look good).

c.circinalisflush1.JPG

I am only taking a break from Encephalrtos .........

Happy flushing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

• Like 1

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

Here is a couple of my extremely rare Cycas flushing ;)

001-7.jpg

012-3.jpg

closer of the above

011-3.jpg

artsy fartsy water droplet shot

008x.jpg

• Upvote 2

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hey Freakypalmguy, what were you doing in Atlanta? I went to the garden last year and was blown away. The Kerriodoxa elegans there was AMAZING! Do you have any pix?

I spend a lot of time in Atlanta as the company I work for is headquartered there. Check out the travel logs section, I posted a thread with a bunch of pics. I think I got one of the above.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

012-3.jpg

I personally like the stark dichotomy in leaf forms in this particular plant as it has aged! It seems to have "morphed" from a Brahea-like palmate form in the older leaves in the back to a C. revoluta-like form in the two newer flushes... simply amazing!

Jody

I personally like the stark dichotomy in leaf forms in this particular plant as it has aged! It seems to have "morphed" from a Brahea-like palmate form in the older leaves in the back to a C. revoluta-like form in the two newer flushes... simply amazing!

Jody

:) It's a one of a kind for sure.

Matt in Temecula, CA

While I'll admit I'm addicted to blue Encephalartos It's nice to have some big bad greens too. Here is a couple pics of my E. Whitelockii flushing and throwing 5 cones at the same time (is this normal?) from last year. The caudex is the next size above beach ball whatever that would be :) .

post-351-1242878579_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

And the new flush.

post-351-1242878718_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

A day time pic of the whole plant with a more expanded new flush.

post-351-1242878806_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Another one of the green monsters is E. Kisambo. This is one of my favorite Cycads and has the biggest dia. petiole of any Cycad I have. The new soapy green flush is as good as it gets. Did I mention they get big :blink: . Looking at this pic from last year it looks small but this flush was over 8 ft. tall!

post-351-1242879255_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Here is a couple pics of my E. Whitelockii flushing and throwing 5 cones at the same time (is this normal?) from last year.

Hi Steve,

yes that does happen sometimes and is a sign of a happy Whitelockii.

Great plant !

Happy flushing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

Here is a couple pics of my E. Whitelockii flushing and throwing 5 cones at the same time (is this normal?) from last year.

Hi Steve,

yes that does happen sometimes and is a sign of a happy Whitelockii.

Great plant !

Happy flushing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

Thanks George, It is a very old plant. It had a baseball sized caudex when I bought it and the name tag said "Lake George" which I believe was the name before "Uganda Giant" both of which proceeded the Whitelockii name. It has been fun to what this Monster grow! George, If you have a female Whitelockii LMK and next time mine cones we can make some seed. I only wish I had room for E. Laurentianus and E. Ituriensis...Hmnn maybe I can squeeze them in somewhere :)

Stevo

Kris and Burt, Those Cycas are awesome! That is one genus I don't have too many of. I need to get more :drool: .

Stevo

Kris and Burt, Those Cycas are awesome! That is one genus I don't have too many of. I need to get more :drool: .

Stevo

Dear Stevo :)

Thanks for those sweet comments,but in front of you collection of cycads...my cycads don't stand a chance.... :lol:

Okay some more stills of cycads from our garden !

post-108-1243145809_thumb.jpg

post-108-1243145838_thumb.jpg

post-108-1243145875_thumb.jpg

post-108-1243145920_thumb.jpg

Lots of love,

Kris :)

• Like 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

post-108-1243146274_thumb.jpg

post-108-1243146304_thumb.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------

post-108-1243146370_thumb.jpg

post-108-1243146394_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Here is my E. lehmanii's flush for this year. The fronds have not gotten firm yet.

The beginning.

DSC05091.jpg

The end......almost.

DSC05305.jpg

• Upvote 2

Mike Hegger

Northwest Clairemont

San Diego, California

4 miles from coast

Steve, and everybody else, thanks for a great thread! Cycads are spectacular plants and we have quite a few, spread out here and there... :) Here are three different Encephalartos. First E. gratus - flushing and coning.

post-22-1243483166_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Encephalartos sclavoi, also flushing and coning! :)

post-22-1243483275_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Encephalartos laurentianus, just coning! But it's producing a nice new flush twice a year, just not right now!

post-22-1243483405_thumb.jpg

post-22-1243483430_thumb.jpg

• Like 1