IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pumpkin -vs- Gourd

Ken Johnson

Carlo, I will give it one more try and then shut up...

#156 Avocado? Really  ???

Or is it Engkala, Litsea spp.

Both sure have big seeds, and are not exactly known best for "dessert" qualities, unlike most other fruits.

The "Roystonea" connection then would be the species "oleracea" part, not the genus part.

"oleracea"... from Latin, meaning pertaining to kitchen gardens, referring to its use as a vegetable. If this was your intention the it was a rather subtle clue!!!!

Algarve, Portugal

Zone 10.

Mediterranean Climate moderated by the Atlantic Ocean

before 156 is revealed, how about a leaf of the plant.  This seems to be just out of reach in my mind, like the name of a movie star or something.  An epiphany is at hand!

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

siafu - a clue missed, I saw the date palms in the background of the photo and used that as the clue.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

(siafu @ Dec. 13 2006,17:03)

Carlo, I will give it one more try and then shut up...

#156 Avocado? Really  ???

From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN:

It is the good, old west-indian avocado from the deep mountains of Anaga!

192697654ouqlIK_ph.jpg

PA180016_redimensionar.jpg

Now I think you understand the clue of the red royals. I just wanted to say that it was a different colouring on a common species.

Carlo

Dang it, I had not seen advocados with such red skin, dang it is pretty neat.

In our defense it was hard to tell the size.  Also, I do not grow any advocados.

I will have to post a trick fruit now to make things even.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

• 2 weeks later...

Another favourite here: Jambo do Pará, brought from Amazonic Northern Brazil.

This fruiting tree is also a lovely landscape subject, perfectly symetric and deep green, with deep red/purplish nice flowers (once a year). It suffers a bit near the ocean as it doesn't like so much wind, but the production is always huge, and the applelike fruits are delicious.

post-157-1166873686_thumb.jpg

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Ken,

The last ones are Kumkuat - Mandarini cinesi ,in So.Italy

It is Citrus japonica Thunb. = Fortunella margarita (Lour.) Swingle).

Fortunella margarita... what a name!

Ken, either crescenthia, and maybe (slight maybe) imbe.  The flowers are not exactly right but the habit is, and the fruit could be an immature imbe, but a little too round, me thinks.  

The flowers are not jaboticaba-esque to me as they lack the proper featherery petals.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Fruit Post #215 - Who am I?

P1010088_redimensionar.jpg

Fruit Post #215, with Alejandra

P1010089_redimensionar.jpg

Fruit Post #215 with Marta and Ana

CIMG0792_redimensionar.jpg

Fruit Post #215 With Carlo (me!), Rita (wof, wof) and Emanuele.

IMG_0436_redimensionar.jpg

Yes it is a Cucurbit and it is anything but exotic to me. It is the most traditional vegetable in Sicily during the hottest summer months, eaten in a million ways (young stems too). It is sold in city markets for 1 euros/fruit, independently of the size. In the countryside it is often given for free - many people sow the highly productive vine each year.

So... any guess?

No es una lufa y no es un melón.

Look at this! Last August in Messina, I caught this guy driving with one of them in the backpack.... split in two... a bit too Italian.

DSCN1542_redimensionar.jpg

Carlo, Tenerife

Ken - I don't know. This fruit has many varieties. The species is widespread in the Old World, but the varieties are countless and their origin is often obscure - who knows? I read somewhere that this super-long variety originated in China. But to me is Sicilian...

When I was a kid I believed that everything I had around me was "universal" or "international". Growing up I realized that nobody spoke my language - at least not with my accent - and at least the food I was used to was all unique ...

Anyway, the picture with the two girls Ana and Marta was taken in Tenerife... the fruit grows here almost as well as in So.Italy.

So what's your guess?  A name?

Lagenaria sicierata , the long gourd?

Is it related to the gourds used by some New Guinea peoples as doodle sheaths and serves as New Guinea Fruit of the Looms?

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Long Gourd is perfect: Zucca Lunga. I don't know if it is related to the New Guinean penis gourd - It is longer for sure - I have to try one ; )

It is a "shell gourd" in sense that the skin becomes "hard" when the fruit ripens (but the fruit is picked well before its technical ripeness)

Cucuzzi! Wow! That's Sicilian dialect.

Aviss'a diri no. Cucuzzi soli e' n'autra cosa. Chisti sunnu cucuzzi spiciali.

I could say no: Cucuzzi means just Squash/Gourd. This is a special kind of Cucuzzi.

Anyway I have to accept the name because it seems that the English world adopted this name (and others) for this stuf. This is :

Latin: Lagenaria siceraria var. longissima

Italian: Zucca Lunga

Sicilian: Cucuzzi Longhi

English: Snake gourd? Cucuzzi? Long Bottle Gourd?

So: One more for Alan. Half a point to Zac ;)

So, at the end, it IS an Italian stuff? I am still asking myself who else eats it?

Carlo

I read a book by an Aussie about Mammology in New Guinea. Its title was Throwim way Leg and I believe the authors name was Flannery. Anyway, he talked about the penis gourds and I think that its an interesting habit.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

Here is a pic from a while back.  Should be an easy ID.

JULY_2_2004_imbe.jpg

And another not a fruit just yet but perhaps on the way.

DSC00918.jpg

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

yes, jakfruit, (jackfruit) This is its idea of a flower, which many people are tricked into thinking is a small fruit.  Often people think they have simply missed the flower part as this structure hardly looks much like any normal flower one would normally expect.

They make male flowers and female flowers.  Males are usually longer and skinnier than female flowers, and females are more voluptuous, being short and roundish. (usually!)

The smell is very nice, although the flower does not "release" its scent continuously.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Yeah that flower comes with the territory of being in Moraceae. Thats why we don't think of Ficus as being a showy flowering tree and more of a nice evergreen one.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

• 8 years later...
On 1/6/2007, 9:03:51, Zac in NC said:

The last one is a Jackfruit, I think.

Zac

Its the male flower.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B