IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Heart of Africa

mpiodi

Hi Wolfgang,

I always enjoy and look forward to seeing pictures from your trips from that part of the world. I have a few questions maybe you can answer for me,

Do you live there fulltime, or make trips for business purposes? And do speak the language fluently, and what do they speak?

What palms if any, are native to this area?

And the last question, what might the animal leg that was for sale in the market in post #6?

Thank you very much and post more pictures if you have them.

Jeff

Jeff,

I am living permanently in Kinshasa, since 17 years, only 2006/2007 I lived for 2 years in Nairobi/Kenya. From 2002 to 2006 I have been travelling regularly to Northeastern Congo and spending there twice a year three months - for "business", if you want.

Yes, I am speaking fluently Lingala, one of the four official languages in Congo and a bit Swahili, also official language in Congo and in Kenya.

There is no large diversity of palms in Congo, at least in the regions I know:

Elais guineensis is present everywhere, Raphia vinifera is very common in Northeast, but unknown in Kinshasa, Borassus flabellifer is also visible everywhere in lower quantities, Cocos scattered here and there but no systematic cultivation. That's already all in the bush and jungle I have crossed - nothing special in the undergrowth. I saw not a single one Dypsis, for exemple. I guess it's too dark.

In Kinshasa landscape you find some more species, but I guess that they are rather imported by the Belgian colonists: Areca catechu, Roystonea, Pritchardia, Licuala, Sabal, Dypsis lutescens, Livistona or Ptychosperma macarthuri - let's say, all the easy growers in this climat. Nobody takes care of palms.

The dried and smoked animal leg is a kind of wild pig. I know only the correct german name. Dictionnary gives as translation: warthog (?). Good meat!

Best wishes

Wolfgang

Wolfgang Hecht, Kinshasa, République Démocratique du Congo

4°19'54" S, Tropical, dry season June-September, average temperature 22-26°C,

1378mm average rainfall/year

Wolfgang,

These are stunning and amazing photos from places that very few people will ever get to see. Enjoyed all of them! Thanks a lot for taking the time to post them - it was like taking a lightning fast trip to the other side of the planet and back - all in a span of 20 minutes, or so! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Wolf Gang,

Those pictures are amazing, it looks like quite a journey. I assume you wouldn't attempt it if you didn't know the language?

Many regards,

Nathan

Nelson, NEW ZEALAND

Sheltered micro-climate

Min -2C, Max 34C

Latitude 41 Degrees South

Warm temperate climate, with over 2500 hours of sunshine per year.

Wolfgang, thanks for your amazing photos. They always make me smile. :)

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Wolfgang,

Thanks so much for the information! I really appreciate you taking the time to share your photos and your first hand experiences in such a remote area of the world.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Wow! Thank you Wolfgang!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Dear Friend :)

Lovely travelog,and i felt as though i was travelling with you..thanks very much for the visuals !

And it was nothing short of bbc's earth file report ! :hmm:

Thanks & Love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

that was really fascinating with wonderful photos.my particular favorite was the village & palms in early morning mist.

vielen dank,wolfgang!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

• 3 weeks later...

I've read that eastern Congo is lawless and off-limits to foreigners. Yet there is no evidence of warring factions in these photos.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

WOW Wolfgang, Wonderfull photos! Thanks for taking time to post them. It's nice to see the "locals" in habitat. Randy

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Wolfgang!

Guten Tag!

And great pictures! Show us all you want to show. You are in a magic place. Which I know you know.

Remind us more!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thank you very much Wolfgang for sharing your photos of a part of the world that is quite unknown to most of us.

Is traveling there relatively safe these days or are there areas that are best not to go into? How do the local people feel or react to strangers visiting their villages? Is there a scarcity of food in any of those areas or do they seem to have enough? I really like and appreciate ALL your travelogue pictures. I hope you will continue to post more. How about more from the area where you live too?

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Those are really awesome pictures. It is no wonder why they call it the mother land.

Thank you very much for sharing.

Bayside Tree Farms is located in Homestead Florida USA
(305) 245-9544

• 3 weeks later...
I've read that eastern Congo is lawless and off-limits to foreigners. Yet there is no evidence of warring factions in these photos.

Yes, I think it's true that Northeastern Congo is widely lawless but travelling is not forbidden and you find very, very few foreigners there.

Of course, I could also show pictures like this of a missionary station looted by rebels, but I think that's not the purpose of this forum. Being not a war correspondent, I am not keen when I am travelling to meet rebels though you can't avoid it sometimes.

post-2039-1245699741_thumb.jpg

Thank you very much Wolfgang for sharing your photos of a part of the world that is quite unknown to most of us.

Is traveling there relatively safe these days or are there areas that are best not to go into? How do the local people feel or react to strangers visiting their villages? Is there a scarcity of food in any of those areas or do they seem to have enough? I really like and appreciate ALL your travelogue pictures. I hope you will continue to post more. How about more from the area where you live too?

I think the first question is answered by what I have written and shown in the last post.

- The local people are very, very friendly and gently. There is no problem at all to contact them.

- Normally, people living in the bush have less problems with food as those living for example in Kinshasa, because they have all their own land for planting rice, cassava, sweet potatoes, bananas, peanuts. And men are hunting, of course. The situation is worsening immediately when rebels are approaching or hiding in the bush so that they can't continue planting and taking care of the crops. For the fields are always far away from the villages deep in the bush. This is happening presently in the whole area I am travelling in - the famous Ugandese LRA rebels (Lord Resistence Army).

- I would like to show you pictures of Kinshasa, but I hesitate for taking pictures in Kinshasa is strictly forbidden and dangerous.

Wolfgang,

Thanks a lot for the update! You certainly live in a fascinating place! I don't know if you addressed the issue before, but why do you think photography is prohibited in Kinshasa? Seems strange that there are restrictions in Kinshasa, but not elsewhere.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Wolfgang,

Thanks a lot for the update! You certainly live in a fascinating place! I don't know if you addressed the issue before, but why do you think photography is prohibited in Kinshasa? Seems strange that there are restrictions in Kinshasa, but not elsewhere.

Bo-Göran

Bo,

Before you are landing in Ndjili Kinshasa you are already advised in the aircraft that taking photos is forbidden in Kinshasa.

I witnessed myself people snatching a camera from somebody and dragging him to the next police station.

Maybe taking photos is forbidden in the whole country but in the bush there is no police and, there, people like to be photographed.

In Kinshasa you find 5 policemen at each crossroad and especially streetchildren who are everywhere are scenting a good business if they catch you with a camera.

Wolfgang

Wolfgang,

Thanks a lot for the explanation. I can understand the importance of being cautious...

Bo-Göran