Sign in to follow this  
tikitiki

? for the florida guys and gals.

tikitiki

What ratio do you use for Iron, manganese and Magnesium? When and which ones need to go down together and apart?

gsn

tiki,

I fertilize with a palm fert that contains NPK 12-4-13 plus all the minors 4 times a year, partial slow release.

Having said that I also use Iron ocassionally(liquid) as a root drench ,especially on my foxtails.

I also put a handful of Maganese sulfate down with each palm when i fertilize, mainly as a preventative. I have never had to use it in amounts to correct a Maganese deficency.

About half way inbetween the regular fert application,I put down K-Mag ,about a 1/3 of what ever I give the palm durning each tri monthly regular fert application. At the same time I also spread a handful of bloodmeal around the palm. I do this K-mag application about halfway inbetween each fert application because our Florida soils are notiously deficent on potassium.

As far as I know, of the micros you listed the only one that has to be applied with another so a imbalance won't happen is pottasium and magnesium.The K-mag puts both down at the same time,so I don't have to worry about an imbalance. If you are going to add strickly magnesium,you need to also add potassium at a 3 to 1 ratio (potassium 3 parts,magnesium 1 part). For me the K-mag is so much easier.

Hope that helps answer some of your questions?

Edited by gsn

tikitiki

Where do you get the kmag? I have never seen it.

gsn

The K-Mag can be purchased at a Lesco outlet.

However I beleive they are called John Deere stores now?

John Derre bought out Lesco.

Edited by gsn