IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What's Your Favorite Discontinued Soft Drink?

osideterry

It happened gradually. As a kid I lived on NuGrape, Mission Orange, and Nehi. When I was a 18, I could still find bottles of Suncrest Soda at any gas station. Into my mid 20s, cans of Big Red, as well as a few Fanta flavors could still be found. They were usually at gas stations out in the middle of nowhere.

They are all gone. It's Coke and Pepsi-owned labels as far as you can see. Not exactly. Lately I notice at convenience stores about half the cooler space devoted to energy drinks.

Older guys like me remember the regional stuff. Younger people had to have seen their childhood favorites disappear.

What do you really miss?

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Dr.Pepper. I know it is very available in the US.It was bottled here in Guatemala about 25yrs. ago but was discontinued.

I can find it on rare occasions and it costs about $1.50 a can.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

I bet it was made with sugar cane back then. Those were the days. So what is available? In Mexico there are lot of apple and grapefruit flavored soft drinks not available here.

There is one specific soft drink (not yet mentioned) I have in mind that I'm waiting for someone to mention. I'll have to type bingo in all caps and add unnecessary exclamation marks or something.

Open up a Spot, and let the sunshine out!

Tasty refreshment, that's what orange Spot is all about!

So, open up a Spot . . . .

And let the sunshine out!

(Doo doo-doo-doo-doo-dooobieeee!)

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dave... does this hit the spot?

post-662-1241039530_thumb.jpg

post-662-1241039543_thumb.jpg

Sometimes I buy a few of the Mexican sodas that are available in the grocery stores here. There's some interesting flavors.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

We need some images...

post-662-1241050905_thumb.jpg

post-662-1241050941_thumb.jpg

post-662-1241050962_thumb.jpg

post-662-1241051043_thumb.jpg

Edited by osideterry

more

post-662-1241051080_thumb.jpg

post-662-1241051093_thumb.jpg

post-662-1241051112_thumb.jpg

post-662-1241051123_thumb.jpg

more

I remember a non carbonated grape drink called Tiny. It was only about 7 ounces, but I sure liked that drink. I think Tiny was only sold in the mid-Atlantic region. I know it was sold in Virginia in the mid to late 1950s, as that's when I bought it as a kid.

I guess I'm just partial to non carbonated soft drinks as I really liked Tru Ade orange and grape drinks. I don't know if they are still around. As a small kid in the early 1950s, my parents would occassionaly go to a place called Jerry's Hot Dogs. That's when you could still get served with a window tray in your car. I would always get an orange Tru Ade with my hot dog. Boy, did they taste good!

For the best bang for the buck, or I should say .12 cents, I could buy the 16oz Double Cola (carbonated) as a kid. I think R.C. Cola cost about the same.

Mad about palms

I bet it was made with sugar cane back then. Those were the days. So what is available? In Mexico there are lot of apple and grapefruit flavored soft drinks not available here.

There is one specific soft drink (not yet mentioned) I have in mind that I'm waiting for someone to mention. I'll have to type bingo in all caps and add unnecessary exclamation marks or something.

You can order the sugar cane Dr Pepper here... http://www.dublindrpepper.com/?gclid=COmu2...CFSRPagodTwi79g

I was thinking an R.C. Cola would be good now.. last one I had was about 2 years ago.

Terry- You've heard of this place? I would LOVE a PRA diversion to there someday!!! http://www.sodapopstop.com/home.cfm (in L.A.)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I stopped drinking soft drinks years ago. So, well mine aren't discontinued, the old A&W Drive Inns (think Sonic) where I used to get them are long gone. They both were favorites from my childhood, which is more than enough years ago to justify discontinuance.

A&W Creme Soda (favorite, ice cold on a hot Louisiana summer day was priceless)

A&W Root Beer (second favorite, in a vanilla float)

Wait, my favorite, which I have not seen in years, served so cold ice formed on the surface when you popped the top, was Schlitz Beer.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Walt - My brother and I would split a 16 oz Double Cola while watching 50's sci fi films on Friday nights when were 10 years old. Good stuff.

BS Man - Let's do it. Maybe combine it with the next PSSC meeting in LA. That Faygo Red Pop has me intrigued. I wonder how it would be with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Palmarati - A&W in a frosty mug, and at an A&W restaurant, is hard to beat. I have one in Redlands and another in Cabazon I hit when I'm inland. (Schlitz?... Schlitz?)

What do they use in softdrinks there now, instead of cane sugar? Artificial sweetener?

Obviously, most of the brands over here are different from those in the US, but we did use to have RC Cola. These days it is the same..all Pepsi or Coke products, and just a couple of local brands. Bundaberg brewed Ginger Beer is still a favourite.

One thing I can't stand is plastic bottles...softdrink just tastes better out of glass IMO.

Daryl

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Daryl - Sometime back in the 70s, all soft drinks switched from cane sugar to high-fructose corn syrup as sweetener. No one really noticed, but if now have a chance to a soft drink with cane sugar there is a real difference. Fructose has a "softer" mouth-feel, while cane sugar is "brighter", has more edge\bite.

Currently Jones Soda is the only brand somewhat easy to find made with sugar.

Soda with sugar is definitely much better than corn syrup. Cocoa Cola has just patented a sweeter made with stevia so hopefully that will show up soon.

I'm only 41 so don't remember a lot of the old regional brands. Growing up in the 70s and 80s it was pretty much the major brands around. I do like RC Cola the best but the only place I see it is in 2 liter bottles in the grocery. Around here I dont see vending machines or convnience stores with it but do if i go to IL to visit family. And I miss the A&W drive ins, my parents tooks us when we were kids. Root beer in a frosted mug in the back of a wood panel Chevrolet Caprice station wagon

Some brands and flavors I liked but not available any longer;

Teem (like Sprite or 7UP)

Upper 10 (like Sprite or 7UP)

Apple Slice (made by Pepsi in the late 80s)

7UP Citrus 7(from the mid 80s, I think it had 7 kinds of actual citrus juice)

Pepsi Clear (early/mid 90s)

Jolt Cola (late 80s)

RC Draft Cola (mid 90s, made with real cane sugar and kola extract, much different tasting than any other cola)

grape, orange, and strawberry Nehi

Years ago I found an old green bottle while digging here at Leu Gardens. It was a Chero Cola bottle. Come to find out that is what RC was called originally in the early 1900s.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

schaefer beer.

Get back in your cave! :rage:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I'm not sure if they still make it or not, but I used to love Orangina. It tasted like fresh mandarin/orange juice but it was lightly carbonated. It came in a funny shaped glass bottle too.

When I was a kid we had a soda called Tahitian Treat. It tasted like carbonated hawaiian punch, but better! I haven't seen it in years.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

I'm not sure if they still make it or not, but I used to love Orangina. It tasted like fresh mandarin/orange juice but it was lightly carbonated. It came in a funny shaped glass bottle too.

When I was a kid we had a soda called Tahitian Treat. It tasted like carbonated hawaiian punch, but better! I haven't seen it in years.

I remember those, too, from Ohio.

Along with Tahiti Sweetie . . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

We used to have our own soft drink company right here in Wynnum, and the old man would buy a cratefull every christmas, "cherry cheer" was my favorite. The factory burned down about 40 years ago. Ah, the memories, you know that was about the only time we ever had softdrinks as kids, at christmas.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Eric - I remember that RC Draft Cola from a few years back. It was good stuff.

Cool story Wal. Our parents weren't exactly health food experts back in the 60s. I wonder if the global economy eventually will replace every regional product with a national brand.

When I go to Sayulita, Mexico every Fall I drink Manzano Lift, an apple juice based soda, as well as many of the citrus flavors. I'll have to look for Orangina and Jupina next fall when I go again. I think the Coke in the 16 oz heavy glass bottles contains sugar. My sons can't get enough of it.

Edited by osideterry

As a kid I was very frugal with what little money (mostly change, some found under the couch and chair cushions) I had. I was always looking for the best value (usually largest quantity) when I bought soft drinks, candy, etc.

Aside from Double Cola, I would often buy Big Time candy bars, as they were about the biggest one could get for the money. They were .5 cents a bar when I was a kid.

Big Time candy bar at 17 seconds into video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=...p;v=ShBeSGGVSWk

I would also buy Chum Gum. You got three sticks (each individually wrapped) for one cent! Even in the 1950s that was a bargain!

Ice cream cones (one scoop) were 5 cents. A two-scoop cone was 10 cents (which was just a 5 cent sized cone with an extra scoop of ice cream on it). Hence, to get more for my money, I would buy two 5 cent cones, thereby getting two cones! Who were those jokers trying to fool!

Mad about palms

Grapette with salted peanuts poured right in the bottle, good stuff! circa late 50's early 60's!

bottle_1950.jpg

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Coca cola fueled many of my late night study sessions with SURGE, which much to my chagrin was last made available in the us in 2001. The memories. :bummed:

Edited by Jasen

Sounds like a plan, Terry.............

By the way, I have found Orangina as recently as in the last couple years at Trader Joes....

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Coca Cola is made with cane sugar here.I believe all soft drinks here are made with cane sugar.Guatemala is the fourth largest producer .

A couple of popular local soft drinks are Tiki - pineapple flavored soda and Lift - grapefruit flavored (Its really good)

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Walt - My favorite out of circulation candy was a Marathon Bar. Like Milk Duds in a long bar format.

GSN - I would get car sick as a child, and have very specific memories involving Grapette and the interior of my Dad's boss's new Cadillac.

BS Man - Let's make it happen.

Here's the ones I really miss: The red creme sodas like Big Red and especially Fanta Red Cream Soda. Make a float from one.... maybe my memory is building it up too much. The "brown" cream sodas now just don't cut it.

I saw a commercial in my groggy state the other night and I couldn't believe what I saw. But I saw it again and see that for a while there will be "Pepsi Throwback" made with cane sugar. Gotta find me some!

Also, Terry, I will say that the Henry Weinhard selection of Root Beer and Orange Cream are exceptional well worth a trip, but I buy them on sale at Ralphs.

WOW! I can imagine it... Not making a float with it.

WOW!

This was a tough 1 to find in the 90's but when you did it was awesome with a cheeseburger!

304617109_l.jpg

I believe it was announced April 1st 2007

I believe it was announced April 1st 2007

I was just joking around :mrlooney: , I had the pic saved on my computer.

They use to have the clear sodas when I was a teenager and my mom always would drink the TAB Clear. So generally that was the only soda in the house. I came pretty accustom to them. I can still find TAB around sometimes, but it is just not same!

I remember TAB here as well, how about 7 UP lemonade, and Tristrams stubby thick glass bottles of softdrinks, ah, the days of Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, The Delltones, Johnny O'Keefe, drive-in theatres, the little girl next door in the pink dress, home made hamburgers, ghost riders in the sky, Hoss Cartwiright, Spike Milligan, the list goes on.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Orbits

Actually, not really.

Keystone Beer .... oh wait, its back, but why?

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Here's the ones I really miss: The red creme sodas like Big Red and especially Fanta Red Cream Soda. Make a float from one.... maybe my memory is building it up too much. The "brown" cream sodas now just don't cut it.

I'll have to agree with this. Although I always remember feeling nauseous after finishing a bottle. The first sip was heaven and it went downhill from there.

For some reason I used to enjoy Big Red and Seagrams.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

It appears that Big Red is still around, just not in the finer gas stations that I frequent.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Orangina is available here in the grocery. I remember when my brother lived in France working at EuroDisney when it first opened he broght it back. its a French drink but now it is bottled in the US, too.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Anybody remember Chelsea? It was made in the late 70's by Anheuser-Busch and was a soda with a small bit of alcohol. I remember back then my dad bartended and would bring some home occaisonally. AB also made a root beer at the same time called Root 66.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_(beverage)

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I associate Fresca with hanging out at the beach in the mid-60's and listening to the Beach Boys. It's been "re-issued" and I od'd on it in 2006, even using the cans in a still-life for painting class. :mrlooney:

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.