IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

BELIZE

Kim

The trees overhanging the river are loaded with orchids and bromeliads.

post-216-1242581708_thumb.jpg

Tillandsia fasciculata

post-216-1242580446_thumb.jpgpost-216-1242580435_thumb.jpg

This is the same orchid as in post #79, but here growing wild. The guide referred to it as the "fishing pole orchid" so we'll probably never know what it really is. :blink:

post-216-1242580460_thumb.jpg

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

At last we arrive at the lagoon and disembark. Lunch is served under a thatched roof.

post-216-1242582415_thumb.jpg post-216-1242582437_thumb.jpg

After a brief visit to the small museum, we begin our walk. This is the "Give and Take Palm". It gives you pain by spines but you can take a medicinal treatment from it to cure your stomach ache.

post-216-1242582515_thumb.jpg post-216-1242582491_thumb.jpg

You and I would call this palm Cryosophila stauracantha.

This is the challenge of travel abroad; often guides only know the local common names for a palm, and one must figure out the true name of the palm! On the drive between two rivers we passed long stretches of dry pine savannah liberally dotted with "salt palmetto", Serenoa repens, "silver thatch palm", possibly Schippia concolor; tall stands of Palmetto that are burned to stimulate growth -- aka Acoelorraphe wrightii; and Bay Palm with enormous fan leaves, which turns out to be Sabal mauritiiformis, looking better than I've ever seen it. And you have to pay attention; when I first asked for the name of "the palm with the very large fans", the answer was "Chinese Palm", but then the guide pointed to a Ravenala madagascariensis. After rephrasing my question, the answer was "Bay Palm". (sigh) I'm learning...

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Large brush covered hills turned out to be Mayan temples on the other side.

post-216-1242583898_thumb.jpg

So would this be the Silver Thatch Palm, Schippia concolor? I thought these fans were huge, but that was before going further into the jungle...

post-216-1242583940_thumb.jpg post-216-1242583973_thumb.jpg

Kim Cyr

Giant bromeliads in the trees, howler monkeys overhead, strangler figs attacking trees, we were definitely in the jungle.

Aechmea bracteata

post-216-1242584296_thumb.jpg

post-216-1242584312_thumb.jpg

Yes, Linda has met BS Man and has taken posing lessons from him!

post-216-1242584344_thumb.jpg

Kim Cyr

Along the trail the palms took on Jurassic proportions:

post-216-1242584920_thumb.jpg post-216-1242584933_thumb.jpg

Attalea cohune with seed -- common name, Cohune palm, a bit easier to decipher.

post-216-1242584953_thumb.jpg

Kim Cyr

The size of these fronds took my breath away.

post-216-1242585275_thumb.jpg

So, aside from spectacular palms, the Belizean jungle has the added attraction of these fantastic old Mayan temples.

post-216-1242585321_thumb.jpg post-216-1242585340_thumb.jpg

Kim Cyr

There are four or five structures, one built over the other. There are a total of four masks, but they were covered up by remodel #4 or 5, and only one has been uncovered for viewing. They are carved from soft limestone and are susceptible to erosion and damage by the elements, thus the thatched covering. The Olmec features of the face are very striking, and some inhabitants of Belize have similar facial structure, being proud descendants of these indigenous people.

post-216-1242585495_thumb.jpg post-216-1242585506_thumb.jpg

post-216-1242585519_thumb.jpg post-216-1242585541_thumb.jpg

Kim Cyr

The girls for scale...

post-216-1242585996_thumb.jpg

The trail winds through the dense jungle, and suddenly a massive structure appears in a clearing. This is the High Temple, 244 feet in height; certainly not the highest Mayan temple, but impressive nonetheless.

post-216-1242586021_thumb.jpg post-216-1242586055_thumb.jpg

Kim Cyr

Well, you know me, I had to climb it. The steps were very steep, and each one much higher than a normal step.

post-216-1242586343_thumb.jpg post-216-1242586361_thumb.jpg

The view was well worth the climb. Hard to believe there are 700 more structures out there... It was very windy at the top.

post-216-1242586378_thumb.jpg post-216-1242586393_thumb.jpg

Kim Cyr

The last temple was the Jaguar Temple, so called because of the stylized jaguar face on one side. There was a stone calendar lying in the field. I thought the tree growing out of the top looked cool.

post-216-1242586720_thumb.jpg

post-216-1242586742_thumb.jpg

If you squint you can make out the jaguar face.

post-216-1242586795_thumb.jpg

Kim Cyr

The week had flown by, so much excitement, so many sights, so many flavors, so much color. Hope you found the tour interesting!

Cheers,

post-216-1242587518_thumb.jpg

Kim Cyr

Just a fantastic travel log Kim! What an adventure and a treasure of a friend to have all these travels with. I remember Linda from CR.

When I look for the jaguar face, I see a one eyed Barney, the drunk on the Simpsons & he seems to be bleching *rubs eyes* I think I've been too much sun today :lol:

Thanks for your memories & my inspiration!

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

Kim,

Thanks for the tour and the jungle photos! Those Mayan ruins are certainly impressive with their steep steps. We saw quite a few ruins in March (actually in three different locations).

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

amazing to think they moved all that stone without the wheel.

wonderful palms as well!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

We board the boat and move to another location on the wall of the Blue Hole for another dive where we will see more sea life. This time I handed the camera off to Linda, and she captured some spectacular critters. First photo shows the group descending.

post-216-1241111345_thumb.jpg

There were a pair of these huge graceful rays floating by, but only one would fit in the frame:

post-216-1241111365_thumb.jpg

Linda had the good luck to have a loggerhead turtle swim right past her:

post-216-1241111382_thumb.jpg post-216-1241111403_thumb.jpg post-216-1241111427_thumb.jpg

"Surf's up Dude!" I felt like it was getting a clip from finding Nemo in your under sea adventures, although those turtles were traveling to Australia....Maybe to visit Wal.

Spectacular photos as always.

I love your photos!! It's amazing how many epiphytes can fit on a single branch!! I love the Attaleas too!!

I'm always up for learning new things!

Along the trail the palms took on Jurassic proportions:

post-216-1242584920_thumb.jpg post-216-1242584933_thumb.jpg

Attalea cohune with seed -- common name, Cohune palm, a bit easier to decipher.

post-216-1242584953_thumb.jpg

Hello Kim,

Fantastic trip! And beautiful pictures!

Would you know what that giant trunkless fan palm behind your friend Linda was?

George Yao

Metro-Manila

Philippines

Hello George--

Ha, ha, which fan palm, that is the question. Well -- first, my identification skills are still developing (cough, cough)... :blush: I know the forest in this area is dominated by Cryosophila stauracantha, Sabal mauritiiformis, Schippia concolor, and Attalea cohune. The Cryosophila stauracantha and the Schippia concolor both have silver undersides to their leaves, and of course Attalea cohune is the really huge pinnate leaves you see in the photos. So by elimination, with the leaf appearing to be all green, my guess is it is the Sabal mauritiiformis looking very stretched in shade and not yet trunking. ?????? Anyone who really knows what it is, please step in to clarify! Those fans were enormous, absolutely humongous. I saw S. mauritiiformis growing in the sun in another area, and while the fans were enormous, the petioles were far more stubby looking compared to the palm in this photo; also they were trunking, so, ...um, I'm not sure. :blink:

Bob -- thanks for the positive response, much appreciated. I have read that winter and spring are the windiest seasons in Belize.

Kim Cyr

Hello George--

Ha, ha, which fan palm, that is the question. Well -- first, my identification skills are still developing (cough, cough)... :blush: I know the forest in this area is dominated by Cryosophila stauracantha, Sabal mauritiiformis, Schippia concolor, and Attalea cohune. The Cryosophila stauracantha and the Schippia concolor both have silver undersides to their leaves, and of course Attalea cohune is the really huge pinnate leaves you see in the photos. So by elimination, with the leaf appearing to be all green, my guess is it is the Sabal mauritiiformis looking very stretched in shade and not yet trunking. ?????? Anyone who really knows what it is, please step in to clarify! Those fans were enormous, absolutely humongous. I saw S. mauritiiformis growing in the sun in another area, and while the fans were enormous, the petioles were far more stubby looking compared to the palm in this photo; also they were trunking, so, ...um, I'm not sure. :blink:

Bob -- thanks for the positive response, much appreciated. I have read that winter and spring are the windiest seasons in Belize.

Kim,

I was hoping your guide might have mentioned something. But from the way you made your deduction, you can pass for an expert! :lol:

George Yao

Metro-Manila

Philippines

Kim,

Great photo tour. Looks like a great place to take my adventurous family once the kids are a bit older.

The mystery orchid in your photos I think is Schomburgkia tibicinis. It's almost certainly a Schomburgkia of some kind. S tibicinis is an easy grow here, takes full sun. The flower spikes can supposedly get up to 12 feet long. I have two, one fell off a tree at my old house and is just waiting to be mounted again. If you want to stop by with something fun that can take full sun, I'd be happy to trade it (and you can see our new place).

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Yes, Linda has met BS Man and has taken posing lessons from him!

post-216-1242584344_thumb.jpg

I'm BS Man and I approve of this pose!

Thanks for the tour Kim, and the Sabal looks to be a reasonable guess. If it had a heel that would confirm it as the others do not grow heels.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Matt-- Oooo, something fun for full sun, I will think on it and send you a PM!

Bill-- Next time I will halt the entire tour and grub around in there with the snakes and bugs to see if there is a heel. :o I'm gratified that you think my guess is a 'maybe'. :)

Kim Cyr

You should read that "maybe" as "probably". :)

Be sure you have your snake bite kit...... :lol:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

KIM!

You are the best tourista!

Great pictures, especially about the town itself, including the Lawn Dart . . . . .

More more more . . . ..

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.