IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The El Hoagie's have landed

palmtreesforpleasure

I must admit Jack, you are brave wearing that maroon jumper deep in blues territory at this time of year.

Hi Col, where exactly is that Livistona forest ?

Lockyer playing this year in SOO?

That 3rd pic in Post #61 is almost surreal. It looks photoshopped, more due to the "all the way across the world" content than anything else. AWESOME. I am more jealous of the Hoagies.....

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I'm just jealous . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Only the very few are lucky or privileged enough to visit Utopia gardens and nursery and converse intimately with the owners and creators of this special palm wonderland. Jack and Lindsey today joined that exclusive list of visitors and I was there to capture the event.

or........

me and jack and lindsey went to claytons, i brought me digital along, no worries.

post-51-1242457367_thumb.jpg

post-51-1242457412_thumb.jpg

to be continued..............

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

That 3rd pic in Post #61 is almost surreal. It looks photoshopped, more due to the "all the way across the world" content than anything else. AWESOME. I am more jealous of the Hoagies.....

I'm jealous too; this trip is way more "epic" than I could have ever thought possible!

Paul

Paul, The Palm Doctor @ http://www.thewisegardener.com

The Dypsis laffa species were a real eye catcher, not an easy grow, that's those white crownshafted small palms.

post-51-1242460182_thumb.jpg

Jack removes an old leaf and voila, slimline orange crush ?

post-51-1242460262_thumb.jpg

post-51-1242460355_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

What about that shirt ? I liked it, naturally.

Front view

post-51-1242460601_thumb.jpg

Back view

post-51-1242460710_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Lindsey and Cato get to know each other

post-51-1242461050_thumb.jpg

Big Dypsis, get 'em in the ground asap like this prestoniana

post-51-1242461173_thumb.jpg

It's a must do at Clayton's to have your photo taken with this highland Basselinia

post-51-1242461328_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Jack prays to the palm gods to make his palms in Cali grow as well as Clayton's here in Utopia.

post-51-1242461614_thumb.jpg

post-51-1242461649_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

At times, palm photos can be deceiving, as in attempting to judge the size and heights of palms. You should try and have a person in the shot every time.

Here is an example.

The two dominant palms in this photo are Marojejya darianii on the left and a tallish Dypsis pembana on the right, yes but how tall exactly.

post-51-1242462330.jpg

Now let's get Jack Sayers in the photo and we can then observe the actual size/heights of these palms, thanks Jack.

post-51-1242462440.jpg

post-51-1242462440_thumb.jpg

post-51-1242462330_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Jack, Lindsay and our friends from Oz,

Thanks for sharing the photos and the experience. This palmboard provides several opportunities to take several "trips of a lifetime". Absolutely fabulous!

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

Superlatives are insufficient in communicating such palmy grandeur!

What a host you are Wal!

Jack & Lindsay: you MUST be amazed by all this "press" of your OZ Voyage!! We DO WANT you back, however!

Paul

A couple of people have mentioned me as being the fine host. I haven't hosted anyone. Today Clayton and Terese were the hosts and gave their time generously whilst Mike and Dianne have done the hosting from the Gold Coast and of course Col from Kiama, the Michaels up NQ and Ari from NT. I apologise if I left someone out. Jack and Lindsey hired cars during their time in OZ and I was personally very impressed with their aptitude in getting around the place all by themselves.

or............

Ratpackers do,

what ratpackers do,

Jack now knows this,

as he's a ratpacker too.

Speaking of Utopia, I must admit the nursery looked quite lush today, here's a final batch of photos for you, I look forward to reading/seeing Jack's threads after he returns back home.

post-51-1242472047_thumb.jpg

post-51-1242472130_thumb.jpg

post-51-1242472181_thumb.jpg

post-51-1242472239_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wowza, Yowza,

Yabba Dabba Do!!! :drool:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Wow this is one epic trip!!

Can't wait for the pictures that will come out of the Hoagie's camera.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

That is a great trip and makes one want to go to Oz. Maybe some day. I anticpate seeing Jack`s picture of the journey as well.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Jack removes an old leaf and voila, slimline orange crush ?

Jack couldn't help himself removing old leaves in Darwin too... I told him he could clean up my garden anytime, but he said he wouldn't do other people's garden :) :).

Good to see he is having fun in SE QLD.

Regards, Ari :)

Edited by ariscott

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

You not follow the League Wal?

Is the pope a catholic ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Jack left Brisbane an hour ago, down to Sydney then on to LA where he'll arrive 3 or 4 hours before he left Sydney ???. :blink::hmm::huh::unsure:

Here's some bonus pics.

Wanderin' Jack

post-51-1242521041_thumb.jpg

Drivin' Jack

post-51-1242521137_thumb.jpg

Jumpin' Jack

post-51-1242521229_thumb.jpg

Thinkin' Jack

post-51-1242521454_thumb.jpg

Learnin' Jack

post-51-1242521527_thumb.jpg

Laughin' Jack

post-51-1242521613_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal, you were obviously a superb tour guide. I'm virtually certain Jack especially packed those Aloha shirts just to wear them while visiting with you and the Ratpackers, had to keep up with the locals, you know. Oh, someday I'll have to get there, the photos are very compelling!!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Jack left Brisbane an hour ago, down to Sydney then on to LA where he'll arrive 3 or 4 hours before he left Sydney ???. :blink::hmm::huh::unsure:

Here's some bonus pics.

Laughin' Jack

post-51-1242521613_thumb.jpg

Wal- what a fine job capturing the spirit of Jack!

Wal!

Mate!

Yer slackin' off . . . . .

LOLOLOL!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Is the pope a catholic ?

Broncos, Titans or Cowboys?

yes..

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

It's wonderful that you ALL gave so much of yourselves to the El Hoagies!

I know that their memories will fill their their hearts with joy and reinforce what we've always realised: "that Aussies & Yanks have been, are now...and will ALWAYS BE brothers!"

There's only an inconvenient couple of watery borders that separate our sharing more time with eachother!

Thank you, folks for being the very best hosts and ambassadors for Australia that anyone could ask for!

Jack & Lindsey will never forget their 2009 trip to OZ, and they are probably moved beyond words, thinking about such gracious warmth & hospitality on their flight home; back to all the palms that were planted (and probably need water by now;) just three weeks ago!

Godspeed, mates!

Paul

Is the pope a catholic ?

Broncos, Titans or Cowboys?

yes..

Well thanks for your friendliness. :rolleyes:

With Jack & Lindsey running point :winkie: , one has to wonder if an Australian Biennel is in the future for

the I.P.S. members ? :interesting:

Great adventure.

Best regards,

Ron.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

We're back in LA after a spectacular vacation. Once I get caught up on work and sleep I'll start posting photos (we have about 2500). Everyone in Australia was FANTASTIC!! I can't say enough about how great it was to meet all you guys, and how generous everyone was with their time. THANK YOU!!!

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

jacks back ;)

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

wow that was amazing! do it again!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Hi Jack, glad to hear you and Lindsey made it home to LA safely and i hope the dog and palms didn't suffer while you were gone. You got out of SE Queensland just in the nick of time as we're just about to get some serious weather tonight with a severe warning put in place for heavy rain and flash flooding for the next 3 days at least. It was a pleasure having you guys stay with us and may long lasting friends be forged from it. I trust you are going to show me a photo of yourself wearing the Aussie Ratpack T-shirt for the occasion and i hope the PACSOA magazines come in handy too!.Thanks for the Black stemmed Dypsis baronii, Livistona inermis and victoriae seeds also. Once again thanks for staying with us( Di says hello....she's getting better now...damn i was getting used to her not being able to speak), trust everythings OK at home and we'll catch up soon.....Cheers Mike Green (Newcal) ...PS will post the pic of you guys standing in front of the Piggie soon.

Great to here you intrepid sailors have arrived home safely, Lindsey, it was very impressive seeing Teressa's prise winning Cato not trying to eat you, :D . It was a pleasure having you visit, hopefully you will visit again sometime and then Rat pack can really lead you astray! Much fun had by all, nice to know you arrived home safely, sleep well.

regards

Colin and Denise

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Jack, I've got just three letters for you, ELO. You must acquire same and play in your car whenever driving to and from PRAs. That way you'll be reminded of the fact that you are ratpack.

Now, no time like the present, start posting.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Onya Wal...

Do Ya?

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Mike - Glad we missed the bad weather, we already had enough rain in FNQ! Thanks again for the shirt and PACSOA mags, I already read a couple on the flight home. It was great staying with you guys, and I'm glad Di is feeling a little better. I think this was the start of some lifelong friendships with the great Aussie palm collectors! Also, everything made it back with us, no issues in customs.

Col - We also had a great time staying with you guys! Thanks again! Lindsey's always had the magic touch with "tough" dogs... I hope we'll be back there before too long.

Wal - I'll see what we can do about ELO. I'll also get going on posting some photos ASAP, but I have three weeks of work to catch up on...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Good to see you arrived back safe and sound. From the look of it, you also found some L. victoriae seeds that you were after... I can see the boys at SE QLD looked after you very well.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

finally started first thread at lord howe

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles