Phil

Give Us Your One-Liner

Central Floridave

"...armchair palmites waffling on about sunsets..."

DoomsDave

When skydiving, always try to land in a large Phoenix (esp. a dactylifera or theophrastii) as it will make a nice comfy cushion to break your fall.

Hug an Acrcomia today!

You don't have to peel the canes of Calamus to make furniture out of them . . .

FRITO

Arenga fruit from seeds is great to rub in the prostate region and is known to ward off ticks.

Betel nuts are like Lays potatoe chips "Betcha can't eat just one"

Acromia, calamus, Salacca, and Bactris make great palms for poolside plantings

I have a 20 year+ old washingtonia that has 2 feet of trunk

a skirt of washingtonia fronds have and will kill people.

nomolos

Palm tree for sale (actually a cordyline australia)

Zayin

-Ooh honey, look at the fan palm ( Ravenela Madagascarensis )

-Thats not a palm, its a palmetto they aren't even in the same family

-palms look SO much better when you torch the fur off of their trunks. :rage:

Collectorpalms

"Palms are for Rednecks"

Ryan Fuller

Collectorpalms

www.collectorpalms.com

happ

Believe it or not: I once saw hoses attached to the trunks of several queen palms in Salinas. Right up the trees to the fronds in order to water! :rolleyes:

PalmGuyWC
Hey Matty. leave my sushi alone.

Dick Douglas has been President of the Palm Society for 64 years!

Only rich people are on the IPS board. (lefty?)

These Christmas Palms are from a batch that has evolved so they don't get lethal yellow.

I thought coconuts were the only kind of palm.

I never fertliize my palms and they do just fine.

Ken Johnson, you rat! Don't make me any older than I already am. 64 years would have made me 6 years old when I was the Prez. Have you forgotten all the martini's you mooched off me at the New Port PS meeting?? Such loyality!!

BTW, I sometimes fertilize my palms and sometimes I don't, and I can't tell any real difference. I guess adobe clay is rich.

Dick

Howeadypsis
When skydiving, always try to land in a large Phoenix (esp. a dactylifera or theophrastii) as it will make a nice comfy cushion to break your fall.

Big ouch!

Jonathan

I'd forgotten about that memorable moment - he'd enjoy this thread...!

With Love from Jonathan.

Phil

One of the easiest ways to tell mature Latania apart is by their seeds.

latania_sp_001_(seeds).GIF

Enjoyable jelly is made from the fruit of Butia capitata seeds.

Wine is made from Jubaea chilensis and is more popular than beer in South America.

The Royal Palm was named after Sir William Denton from Sussex, England.

Phil

FRITO

Phil doesnt create threads too often but when he does they are quality and most of his posts are accumulated in them :)

definently dont forget to waffle on about sunset in your favorite armchair, heck.... give your palm buddy a call and make it a PRA.

Bamboo palms arnt really palms, or are they?

Palm roots will uplift concrete foundations

if a palm fell in the forest, did the palm really fall?

and lets not forget: lots of love from Luke in Tally

B)

Edited by FRITO

Logolight

Peat moss retains water as well as repels it.

Carpoxylons cannot handle sudden moves from outdoors to indoors.

Potted palms do not like cat urine.

My Bottle palm's growth rate is faster than classified by botanists.

Pilots have more thrust.

Walter John

"I don't want palms, I want to plant natives".

Tad

" I wont sell any of those windmills to you they are rare and NO ONE grows windmill palms in the Rio Grande Valley"

jimbiz

What my cousin once told me: "palms don't provide any shade"

What I tell family members on a regular basis: "after this one, I promise not to buy anymore palms"

Rah Rah let's go do some PRA!

Kris
Meant to ask guys. What is a PRA?

Dear Larry :)

PRA is a code,and it means Palm Related Activity.And the california PRA team refers to Paul,Bill,Dave,Scotty,Bob & Kim... :)

Love,

Kris :)

Mattys not kicked out.... yet

Ooops, wait not my call :blush:

Friends Sorry about that,i missed his name when typing ! :blink: And bill thanks for the reminder ! :)

Palmgrover

This palm will do better with dappled light.

Its a no brainier,you cant kill this palm.

Wow, your really starting to Valez your yard.

Howeadypsis

I'd forgotten about that memorable moment - he'd enjoy this thread...!

With Love from Jonathan.

Are we talking about someone in particular here?

Ken Johnson
Hey Matty. leave my sushi alone.

Dick Douglas has been President of the Palm Society for 64 years!

Only rich people are on the IPS board. (lefty?)

These Christmas Palms are from a batch that has evolved so they don't get lethal yellow.

I thought coconuts were the only kind of palm.

I never fertliize my palms and they do just fine.

Ken Johnson, you rat! Don't make me any older than I already am. 64 years would have made me 6 years old when I was the Prez. Have you forgotten all the martini's you mooched off me at the New Port PS meeting?? Such loyality!!

BTW, I sometimes fertilize my palms and sometimes I don't, and I can't tell any real difference. I guess adobe clay is rich.

Dick

Dick never drinks Vodka by the swimming pool at PRA's.

You never hear any good stories about fellow members at Biennials.

Palm Fest is the best PRA in Florida!

Phil

The fruit of the seeds of Borassus are large, edible and sought-after by people in Asia.

borassus_flabellifer_001.GIF

Borassodendron is the name given to an immature Borassus.

The seeds of Archontophoenix purpurea are larger than the seeds of A. cunninghamiana.

archontophoenix_purpurea_003_seeds.gif

A. purpurea seeds

When Arenga engleri is in blossom, the fragrance is as nice as a Gardenia.

Phil

Phil

The term "stumphead" refers to a lumberjack who used to hound this site with continual comments about the lumber trade.

I.P.S. Biennials should only be held in Miami, FL.

The old name of our I.P.S. Journal ("Principes") was changed because few people knew what the term actually meant and what it referred to.

During the 2000 Biennial in New Caledonia, IPS members were flown by helicopters onto Mt. Panie.

Phil

Phil

Cycads, like palms, are taxonomically a member of the Grass Family and therefore require huge amounts of water.

assorted_cycads_004.gif

Historically, the term "Cold Hardy Mountain Urens" was a name given to Caryota urens during the early days of palmophites when it was found that this species survived in Southern California.

Caryota gigas is best planted close to a house so it can get protection from the elements.

caryota_gigas_002.GIF

Digging/moving of a large Caryota can throw it into blossom.

Phil

Kris
The fruit of the seeds of Borassus are large, edible and sought-after by people in Asia.

borassus_flabellifer_001.GIF

Borassodendron is the name given to an immature Borassus.

Phil

Just adding few visuals to your lovely thread ! :winkie:

Borassus Flabifier Ripe Fruit :

post-108-1240755840_thumb.jpg

post-108-1240755888_thumb.jpg

post-108-1240755913_thumb.jpg

post-108-1240756008_thumb.jpg

Now lets see tender fruit,that is what is very popular in south india..

post-108-1240756453_thumb.jpg

post-108-1240756496_thumb.jpg

post-108-1240756609_thumb.jpg And this happens to be Kris favouriate summer delicasy :drool:

Love,

Kris :)

Kim

A tried and true way to protect your potted palms over winter is to grow a thick thatch of weeds in the pots and on the ground around them.

Palm trunks are often painted white in the tropics not only to match the houses, but also to reflect the hot sun, keeping the trunks cool.

Any palm that flowers and dies is referred to as a "self-destructing palm" or "suicide palm".

If you have a mite infestation, wash the palm then spray the palm with Pam cooking spray.

IPS Biennial trips are only appropriate for serious scientific experts with PhDs.

Jeff Searle
A tried and true way to protect your potted palms over winter is to grow a thick thatch of weeds in the pots and on the ground around them.

Palm trunks are often painted white in the tropics not only to match the houses, but also to reflect the hot sun, keeping the trunks cool.

Any palm that flowers and dies is referred to as a "self-destructing palm" or "suicide palm".

If you have a mite infestation, wash the palm then spray the palm with Pam cooking spray.

IPS Biennial trips are only appropriate for serious scientific experts with PhDs.

Kim,

The first statement in your above post certainly reminds me of one gentleman that is extreamly passionate about palms. And what's the odds of him living in So-Cal, near you!!! :)

Ohh...and your last statement is certainly false! They allow me to go don't they? :lol:

Jeff

Jeff

Ken Johnson

I use Pam when hybridising to make the pollen slide in better.

DoomsDave

I use Pam when hybridising to make the pollen slide in better.

Hee hee hee hee -- haw haw!

palmislandRandy

"when they get big, I'll sell em all to Ken and retire!" :D

Phil

Depending on your area, a well grown King Palm can have 12 inches or more between growth rings and put on the same amount of vertical trunk with each new leaf.

Palms that have really tight growth rings grow vertically at a slower rate and species that do this naturally (not because of bad culture) tend to be shorter in stature when mature.

Brahea_edulis1_trunk-01072006.JPG

When you have shallow topsoil or inpenetrable soil/rock beneath a palm, one can see roots develope above the soil line.

archontophoenix_alexandrae_004_roots.gif

The stripes on the crownshaft of a Burretiokentia are characteristic of B. hapala.

burretiokentia_vieillardii_0012_flowerDC.gif

DoomsDave

All palms have soft, spongy tissue in the trunks . . . . . . .

_Keith

Sure, Coconuts will grow here.

BS Man about Palms

Kim,

The first statement in your above post certainly reminds me of one gentleman that is extreamly passionate about palms. And what's the odds of him living in So-Cal, near you!!! :)

Ohh...and your last statement is certainly false! They allow me to go don't they? :lol:

Jeff

Jeff

:bemused:

Walter John

Variegated foxy lady palms are so cool, what an amazing hybrid, no wonder they are expensive, no wonder everyone wants one, I want one so bad

MOST PEOPLE

Variegated foxy lady palms are crap

WAL

Howeadypsis

Palms aren't trees because they're not dead on the inside

Phil

Mother Nature blessed Southern California with ideal climate so that species like Licuala cordata thrive in most gardens here.

licuala_cordata_007.GIF

Licuala ramsayii wants the deepest shade possible to thrive, prefering to grow in caves rather than sun in Queensland, Australia.

licuala_ramsayii_0010.GIF

Linospadix monostachya is known as the "Walking Stick Palm" because U.S. President Teddy Roosevelt brought one in from Central America to assist his sciatica condition.

The fruit of Livistona muellerrii is quite red and beautiful.

livistonea_muellerii.gif

Phil

Phil

By the way, this thread is the only place where you can tell a lie and not be criticized for it.

Phil

Howeadypsis
By the way, this thread is the only place where you can tell a lie and not be criticized for it.

Phil

No not the only place. Houses of Parliament too ;)

Phil

Larry,

Maybe over there, but not here. Our politicians here only tell the truth.

(true or false?)

Phil