IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Give Us Your One-Liner

Phil

There is such a thing as the perfect universal potting soil for all parts of the world.

Archontophoenix purpurea is less cold hardy than A. cunninghamiana.

The purple discoloration of a young Bismarckia seen after winter is quite commonly seen when Bismarckia experience cold.

Bismarckia and Brahea armata do better along the beach than inland where it's hotter.

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Larry,

Maybe over there, but not here. Our politicians here only tell the truth.

(true or false?)

Phil

Hmmm the words Politician and Truth in the same sentence? ;)

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

Larry,

Maybe over there, but not here. Our politicians here only tell the truth.

(true or false?)

Phil

First:

Define truth, or falsity.

Or politician . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

As per Bill's direction:

Does Bill just hang out at all palm sales :rolleyes: ?

from Jungle Music Sale pictures.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

As per Bill's direction:

Does Bill just hang out at all palm sales :rolleyes: ?

from Jungle Music Sale pictures.

I'd say that statement would be true.

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

This palm is perfect for our climate. Don't worry about the cold at all. It'll sail right through it.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I want one of those palm trees that grows in threes; you know, three trunks.

Tall palms are bad for outdoor pot growing because wind will blow them over.

(From random newbie at the nursery while looking at most rare of palm species) Oh, I already have all of these; don't you have any rare ones?

(From wife of random newbie at the nursery while looking at Carpoxylon) Oh Hubby, you already have one of those; you know, it's out by the Pineapple palm.

Phil

pelagodoxa_sp_002_(seed).gif

Pelagodoxa henryana seeds were an effective weapon used during tribal wars in the South Pacific.

The first baseball game in Fiji in 1947 used a Pelagodoxa seed as the baseball, but the practice was abandoned because of broken bats and concussions.

Falling Pelagodoxa seeds are the number one killer of tourists in the natural habitat.

Pelagodoxa henryana seeds were named after Henry Ford, the automotive pioneer and founder of the Ford Motor Company.

Phil

"It must be something about riding in a car. Every time I take one home, it dies." Al Prince describing experiences with Dypsis tsaravoasira.

Alan Brickey

I don't really need another palm, I don't actually have enough room for another palm, so I won't get any more.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

The IPS is going to cover all my costs and Paul's (pohonkelapa) costs, that's all travel and accommodation, to the next two biennials because we will "value add" to the events, including performing live on stage, things and music and stuff. :unsure:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

¨AAhhhh, that´s a fishtail...what a pain in the ass that is¨ A visitor to my garden said as she was looking at my Arenga pinnata seedling.

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

First:

Define politician . . . .

A man or woman in a suit who thinks he or she knows what the people of his country want but is invariably wrong

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

I don't need a royal palm. I already have a King and a Queen palm, Isn't that royalty enough?

more palms, less bombs!

Beccariophoenix madagascarensis "windows"

becarriophoenix_madagascariensis_002.gif

Beccariophonix madagascarensis sp. "windows" was the first Becariphoenix species that most growers had experience with in the U.S.

Beccariophoenix madagascarensis sp. "windows" got it's name because of the windows in the leaf, somewhat like Reinhardtia gracilis has "windows" in its leaf.

reinhardtia_gracilis_002.gif

It will end up that Beccariophoenix madagascarensis sp. "windows" is the real Beccariphoenix madagascarensis and we're only waiting for John Dransfield to describe it.

Beccariophoenix madagascarensis "no windows" is not nearly as interesting because one doesn't have those cute little windows to look at.

becarriophoenix_sp_no_windows001_detail.GIF

Phil

When we stopped providing beer at our Sales at Jungle Music many years ago, I got three complaints from those people one might anticipate would complain.

What're yew sayin'???

I get by with a little help from my fronds

Dan,

It was a liability issue. Several times over the years I got reports of people who probably drank too much. It was easier to stop the practice than try to police such people.

Phil

Now a one liner:

Hyophorbe lagenicaulis bulge at the bottom of the trunk whereas H. verschafeltii bulge in the middle of(further up) the trunk.

Hyophorbe lagenicaulis:

hyophorbe_lagenicaulis_002.GIF

H. verschafeltii:

hyophorbe_verschafeltii_0010.gif

Thus the Bottle goes from fat to thinner as you go from the bottom up. The Spindle does the opposite; it gets fatter as you go up the trunk. (typical findings)

Phil