IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Give Us Your One-Liner

Phil

When skydiving, always try to land in a large Phoenix (esp. a dactylifera or theophrastii) as it will make a nice comfy cushion to break your fall.

Hug an Acrcomia today!

You don't have to peel the canes of Calamus to make furniture out of them . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Arenga fruit from seeds is great to rub in the prostate region and is known to ward off ticks.

Betel nuts are like Lays potatoe chips "Betcha can't eat just one"

Acromia, calamus, Salacca, and Bactris make great palms for poolside plantings

I have a 20 year+ old washingtonia that has 2 feet of trunk

a skirt of washingtonia fronds have and will kill people.

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Palm tree for sale (actually a cordyline australia)

Sol Cooper

Hobart Tasmania

42 degrees South

Mild climate - mostly frost free

-Ooh honey, look at the fan palm ( Ravenela Madagascarensis )

-Thats not a palm, its a palmetto they aren't even in the same family

-palms look SO much better when you torch the fur off of their trunks. :rage:

Jody

Chilliwack British Columbia

Zone 8/9 until 3 years ago. Now Zone 6b.

Don't even get me started.

"Palms are for Rednecks"

Ryan Fuller

Collectorpalms

www.collectorpalms.com

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Believe it or not: I once saw hoses attached to the trunks of several queen palms in Salinas. Right up the trees to the fronds in order to water! :rolleyes:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Hey Matty. leave my sushi alone.

Dick Douglas has been President of the Palm Society for 64 years!

Only rich people are on the IPS board. (lefty?)

These Christmas Palms are from a batch that has evolved so they don't get lethal yellow.

I thought coconuts were the only kind of palm.

I never fertliize my palms and they do just fine.

Ken Johnson, you rat! Don't make me any older than I already am. 64 years would have made me 6 years old when I was the Prez. Have you forgotten all the martini's you mooched off me at the New Port PS meeting?? Such loyality!!

BTW, I sometimes fertilize my palms and sometimes I don't, and I can't tell any real difference. I guess adobe clay is rich.

Dick

Richard Douglas

When skydiving, always try to land in a large Phoenix (esp. a dactylifera or theophrastii) as it will make a nice comfy cushion to break your fall.

Big ouch!

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

"...armchair palmites waffling on about sunsets..."

I'd forgotten about that memorable moment - he'd enjoy this thread...!

With Love from Jonathan.

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

One of the easiest ways to tell mature Latania apart is by their seeds.

latania_sp_001_(seeds).GIF

Enjoyable jelly is made from the fruit of Butia capitata seeds.

Wine is made from Jubaea chilensis and is more popular than beer in South America.

The Royal Palm was named after Sir William Denton from Sussex, England.

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Phil doesnt create threads too often but when he does they are quality and most of his posts are accumulated in them :)

definently dont forget to waffle on about sunset in your favorite armchair, heck.... give your palm buddy a call and make it a PRA.

Bamboo palms arnt really palms, or are they?

Palm roots will uplift concrete foundations

if a palm fell in the forest, did the palm really fall?

and lets not forget: lots of love from Luke in Tally

B)

Edited by FRITO

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Peat moss retains water as well as repels it.

Carpoxylons cannot handle sudden moves from outdoors to indoors.

Potted palms do not like cat urine.

My Bottle palm's growth rate is faster than classified by botanists.

Pilots have more thrust.

Jacksonville, FL

Zone 9a

First Officer

Air Wisconsin Airlines (USairways Express)

Canadair Regional Jet

Base: ORF

"I don't want palms, I want to plant natives".

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

" I wont sell any of those windmills to you they are rare and NO ONE grows windmill palms in the Rio Grande Valley"

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

What my cousin once told me: "palms don't provide any shade"

What I tell family members on a regular basis: "after this one, I promise not to buy anymore palms"

Rah Rah let's go do some PRA!

Odessa, TX  Z8a

NE edge Chihuahuan Desert

Alt 2800 ft

El Jardin de Quixote

Meant to ask guys. What is a PRA?

Dear Larry :)

PRA is a code,and it means Palm Related Activity.And the california PRA team refers to Paul,Bill,Dave,Scotty,Bob & Kim... :)

Love,

Kris :)

Mattys not kicked out.... yet

Ooops, wait not my call :blush:

Friends Sorry about that,i missed his name when typing ! :blink: And bill thanks for the reminder ! :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

This palm will do better with dappled light.

Its a no brainier,you cant kill this palm.

Wow, your really starting to Valez your yard.

more palms, less bombs!

"...armchair palmites waffling on about sunsets..."

I'd forgotten about that memorable moment - he'd enjoy this thread...!

With Love from Jonathan.

Are we talking about someone in particular here?

Hey Matty. leave my sushi alone.

Dick Douglas has been President of the Palm Society for 64 years!

Only rich people are on the IPS board. (lefty?)

These Christmas Palms are from a batch that has evolved so they don't get lethal yellow.

I thought coconuts were the only kind of palm.

I never fertliize my palms and they do just fine.

Ken Johnson, you rat! Don't make me any older than I already am. 64 years would have made me 6 years old when I was the Prez. Have you forgotten all the martini's you mooched off me at the New Port PS meeting?? Such loyality!!

BTW, I sometimes fertilize my palms and sometimes I don't, and I can't tell any real difference. I guess adobe clay is rich.

Dick

Dick never drinks Vodka by the swimming pool at PRA's.

You never hear any good stories about fellow members at Biennials.

Palm Fest is the best PRA in Florida!

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

The fruit of the seeds of Borassus are large, edible and sought-after by people in Asia.

borassus_flabellifer_001.GIF

Borassodendron is the name given to an immature Borassus.

The seeds of Archontophoenix purpurea are larger than the seeds of A. cunninghamiana.

archontophoenix_purpurea_003_seeds.gif

A. purpurea seeds

When Arenga engleri is in blossom, the fragrance is as nice as a Gardenia.

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

The term "stumphead" refers to a lumberjack who used to hound this site with continual comments about the lumber trade.

I.P.S. Biennials should only be held in Miami, FL.

The old name of our I.P.S. Journal ("Principes") was changed because few people knew what the term actually meant and what it referred to.

During the 2000 Biennial in New Caledonia, IPS members were flown by helicopters onto Mt. Panie.

Phil

Cycads, like palms, are taxonomically a member of the Grass Family and therefore require huge amounts of water.

assorted_cycads_004.gif

Historically, the term "Cold Hardy Mountain Urens" was a name given to Caryota urens during the early days of palmophites when it was found that this species survived in Southern California.

Caryota gigas is best planted close to a house so it can get protection from the elements.

caryota_gigas_002.GIF

Digging/moving of a large Caryota can throw it into blossom.

Phil

The fruit of the seeds of Borassus are large, edible and sought-after by people in Asia.

borassus_flabellifer_001.GIF

Borassodendron is the name given to an immature Borassus.

Phil

Just adding few visuals to your lovely thread ! :winkie:

Borassus Flabifier Ripe Fruit :

post-108-1240755840_thumb.jpg

post-108-1240755888_thumb.jpg

post-108-1240755913_thumb.jpg

post-108-1240756008_thumb.jpg

Now lets see tender fruit,that is what is very popular in south india..

post-108-1240756453_thumb.jpg

post-108-1240756496_thumb.jpg

post-108-1240756609_thumb.jpg And this happens to be Kris favouriate summer delicasy :drool:

Love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

A tried and true way to protect your potted palms over winter is to grow a thick thatch of weeds in the pots and on the ground around them.

Palm trunks are often painted white in the tropics not only to match the houses, but also to reflect the hot sun, keeping the trunks cool.

Any palm that flowers and dies is referred to as a "self-destructing palm" or "suicide palm".

If you have a mite infestation, wash the palm then spray the palm with Pam cooking spray.

IPS Biennial trips are only appropriate for serious scientific experts with PhDs.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

A tried and true way to protect your potted palms over winter is to grow a thick thatch of weeds in the pots and on the ground around them.

Palm trunks are often painted white in the tropics not only to match the houses, but also to reflect the hot sun, keeping the trunks cool.

Any palm that flowers and dies is referred to as a "self-destructing palm" or "suicide palm".

If you have a mite infestation, wash the palm then spray the palm with Pam cooking spray.

IPS Biennial trips are only appropriate for serious scientific experts with PhDs.

Kim,

The first statement in your above post certainly reminds me of one gentleman that is extreamly passionate about palms. And what's the odds of him living in So-Cal, near you!!! :)

Ohh...and your last statement is certainly false! They allow me to go don't they? :lol:

Jeff

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I use Pam when hybridising to make the pollen slide in better.

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

I use Pam when hybridising to make the pollen slide in better.

Hee hee hee hee -- haw haw!

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

"when they get big, I'll sell em all to Ken and retire!" :D

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Depending on your area, a well grown King Palm can have 12 inches or more between growth rings and put on the same amount of vertical trunk with each new leaf.

Palms that have really tight growth rings grow vertically at a slower rate and species that do this naturally (not because of bad culture) tend to be shorter in stature when mature.

Brahea_edulis1_trunk-01072006.JPG

When you have shallow topsoil or inpenetrable soil/rock beneath a palm, one can see roots develope above the soil line.

archontophoenix_alexandrae_004_roots.gif

The stripes on the crownshaft of a Burretiokentia are characteristic of B. hapala.

burretiokentia_vieillardii_0012_flowerDC.gif

All palms have soft, spongy tissue in the trunks . . . . . . .

Sure, Coconuts will grow here.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Kim,

The first statement in your above post certainly reminds me of one gentleman that is extreamly passionate about palms. And what's the odds of him living in So-Cal, near you!!! :)

Ohh...and your last statement is certainly false! They allow me to go don't they? :lol:

Jeff

Jeff

:bemused:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Variegated foxy lady palms are so cool, what an amazing hybrid, no wonder they are expensive, no wonder everyone wants one, I want one so bad

MOST PEOPLE

Variegated foxy lady palms are crap

WAL

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Palms aren't trees because they're not dead on the inside

Mother Nature blessed Southern California with ideal climate so that species like Licuala cordata thrive in most gardens here.

licuala_cordata_007.GIF

Licuala ramsayii wants the deepest shade possible to thrive, prefering to grow in caves rather than sun in Queensland, Australia.

licuala_ramsayii_0010.GIF

Linospadix monostachya is known as the "Walking Stick Palm" because U.S. President Teddy Roosevelt brought one in from Central America to assist his sciatica condition.

The fruit of Livistona muellerrii is quite red and beautiful.

livistonea_muellerii.gif

Phil

By the way, this thread is the only place where you can tell a lie and not be criticized for it.

Phil

By the way, this thread is the only place where you can tell a lie and not be criticized for it.

Phil

No not the only place. Houses of Parliament too ;)

Larry,

Maybe over there, but not here. Our politicians here only tell the truth.

(true or false?)

Phil