IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Give Us Your One-Liner

Phil

I've finally got my own house so now I can germinate those palm seeds my father gave me from his famous jungle trip in 2002.

I'm calling you from New Jersey so you can help me with the dying palm tree in my yard that I got just two weeks aqo at Home Depot.

A one gallon Caryota urens will outgrow a 24 inch boxed Howea in a matter of years.

Agricultural laws on Interstate sales of plants only applies to nurseries and not to little guys on EBay.

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

When we stopped providing beer at our Sales at Jungle Music many years ago, I got three complaints from those people one might anticipate would complain.

An earthquake cannot snap the trunk of a grown palm tree.

"Hawaiian Grown Beauties" do a lot better in California than wimpy, locally grown palms.

Ravenea rivularis is absolutely the best seashore palm there is!

IMPORTANT: Understand that, through all these posts, some statements are true and some are absolutely false. The trick is to know which ones are true and which ones are just for fun.

boy_confused_100.jpg

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

If, after work on a Friday, a few bro's head out for pool at the local pub and stop to look at a palm tree, does this qualify as a PRA?

One can convince their teenage children that PRA's are the absolutely best use of one's time there is.

Bill Sanford is now "fed up with palms" and only growing roses for the Triplets.

The best palms in the world come from the little country of Camarama, West Africa and are shipped directly to your front door.

Triplets? :D don't they look best in groups of three?

(While looking at a Kentiopsis piersoniorum) Hey, I know a place that has a bunch of those growing.... :hmm:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Meant to ask guys. What is a PRA?

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

Intersting that I was planning to start a somewhat similar thread about true and false things you learned at Palmtalk, but my bad English withstood it....

Sprouted Bismarckias seeds need a pot that reach the center of the earth, because they have a VERY VERY long taproot and wont grow in a normal big pot. ...(I made a pot from wood with 8ocm deep....to see them in a nursery happily growing in a normal pot)

Parajubaeas are near impossible to transplant....The slightest root disturbance and they are gone!

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

One of my local friends said to me once:

"Ohhh I'd love to plant a couple of those long 40 m tall "coconuts" they have in Holywood, California...do you have seedlings of those? how do they harvest the fruits there?"

Lots of people here usually say:

Coconut trees hate water...they grow better in sand and you should fert them only with salt... :mrlooney:

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Someone once asked Are palms really trees though? I mean they're not related to oaks and maples!

From people in Europe:

''Palm trees don't belong in Europe''

''They look ridiculous in Northern Europe, would people in the Dominican republic grow Christmas trees?''

From an Arab man:

''A house is not complete without a date palm''

:lol:

From an Arab man:

Bloody big house! Must have high ceilings ;)

Arent you worried about the roots cracking the concrete on your pool?

How do you make those live here.

Were can i get some of those banana palms ?

Dear Larry :)

PRA is a code,and it means Palm Related Activity.And the california PRA team refers to Paul,Bill,Dave,Scotty,Bob & Kim... :)

Love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Hey Matty. leave my sushi alone.

Dick Douglas has been President of the Palm Society for 64 years!

Only rich people are on the IPS board. (lefty?)

These Christmas Palms are from a batch that has evolved so they don't get lethal yellow.

I thought coconuts were the only kind of palm.

I never fertliize my palms and they do just fine.

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

From an Arab man:

Bloody big house! Must have high ceilings ;)

He probably meant a house as in the entire thing including the garden.

Date palms are to Arab countries as what Washingtonia's is to California, everywhere.

serenoa repens is impossible to transplant

untrunked juvenille sabal palmetto is impossible to transplant

wow you have a lot of palms! eh well not really there is 3000 diffrent species, Im working on it though. :)

thats an ugly palm (pointing to shade grown Butia)

fan palms are not tropical

sabal minor has a million ecotypes or variations (mcurtain county, lousiana, Blountstown dwarf, Cape Hattaras, 'Emerald Island Giant', bear creek, oriental giant, etc.....

coconut palms kill people

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Submerging the bottom of a 15g Howea forsteriana into the ground will make it grow faster.

Submerging the bottom of a 15g Bismarckia into the ground is a good idea for a nurseryman selling this species.

Foxtails like heat and sun and do better in the ground than they do in containers.

Chamaedorea linearis is just another ho-hummer bamboo palm.

Phil

Phone calls where two people talk about palms is a PRA.

Photographs of palm trees in containers are best taken with a tennis shoe in the picture for size.

Municipal water is best for palms because the officials in the Water Departments make sure it is of the highest quality.

When you put a large palm in a container into the back of a pickup truck, it's best to point the crown of the palm tree forward toward the front of the truck.

As long as you don't go over 65 mph, it's ok to transport tall palms in containers standing upright in the back of a pickup truck.

boy_confused_100.jpg

Phil

"I'm planning on putting my granddaughter through college with this tree." (Gentleman standing next to a Washingtonia.)

"I'm sorry sir, but you may have to take from her fund to have it removed." :(

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

Remember when JungleMusic served beer at their sales???

Lol!!! And the Searle's Extravaganza Sale.....

And quite often one might ask.....what's a PRA?

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

PRA is a code,and it means Palm Related Activity.And the california PRA team refers to Paul,Bill,Dave,Scotty,Bob & Kim... :)

Love,

Oh i like the sound of PRA! Also TRA and FRA! ;)

OK, here goes:

"Palms? Yeah, I got one of those King (Queen) Sago palms."

"What do you mean, sagos aren't palms? Look at the leaves (fronds)."

"I also got one of those ponytail palms, too."

"What do you mean ponytail palms aren't palms? It says they are on eBay."

"Madagascar (Pachypodium) palms are true palms."

"All palms grow in the tropics, like FL and CA."

"Fan palms aren't real palms."

"You have to go to the jungle to see palms in habitat."

"You spent what on that palm? I could get a manicure and a pedicure for that."

"A palm is just another tree you stick in the ground."

"The Cape Coral WalMart doesn't carry Coccothrinax but the nursery manager said Trachycarpus makes a great substitute."

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

You can get a palm to fork by driving an ax in the crown

This one is true...just look at my avatar...I axed that one a bunch of times trying to split it for firewood (gets really cold down here in the Disney peninsula). :lol:

Merritt Island, Florida 32952

28º21'06.15"N 80º40'03.75"W

Zone 9b-10a

4-5 feet above sea level

Four miles inland

No freeze since '89...Damn!-since 2nd week of Jan., 2010

Overheard at a palm meeting: "We're not allowed to use their bathroom? I'm gonna pee in the pool then".

Jessie Bergman after you find a nice size palm in the greenhouse: "I bet can find a bigger one than that. If I do, you have to do a monkey dance for me".

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Palm Tree - Nature's imitation of an umbrella that has been out to see what a cyclone is like and is trying not to look disappointed. (Mark Twain)

Overheard at a palm meeting: "We're not allowed to use their bathroom? I'm gonna pee in the pool then".

only once? :hmm::hmm::hmm::lol:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Coconuts don't kill people . . . . people with mustaches kill people . . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

"if a little of this quick-release fertilizer is good for a palm then ALOT will be even better!"

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Palm Tree - Nature's imitation of an umbrella that has been out to see what a cyclone is like and is trying not to look disappointed. (Mark Twain)

Oh i do like that one!

"Palms are from the desert, so they don't need water right?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Honey. I am going to go to ____'s palm nursery. I will be back in 30 minutes.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

"My palm died, is there anything I can do for it?"

- re: "Well, you can throw it a cheap funeral."

"I need some fertilizer to make my fake palm look better."

- re: I had no answer at first, but my manager behind me tried to keep from laughing and turned and left. Eventually, I sold her a bottle of leaf shine.

There are many more, but these two always seem to come to mind more than others. These statements happened.

Ryan

South Florida

Love,

Mattys not kicked out.... yet

Ooops, wait not my call :blush:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Will you buy the tall, hundred foot tall palm tree in my back yard which my neighbor says must be worth a lot of money?

I have a diseased palm I got from a friend with lots of insects on it and I'd like to bring it by the nursery and have you look at it and advise me what type of insects these are.

Once a palm reaches a mature height, it's basal diameter will never get larger.

Gaussia may will develope a fat, swollen base and, with age, loses the bulge and gets skinny again.

Collectors are the major cause of species extinction of palms worldwide.

Phil

One of the worst I hear over and over again is.....

The customer and I are standing out in the full sun area looking and talking about palms. They finally choose a palm and then turns to look at me and ask, will this take full sun? What? Helloooooo !

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Not all palm nurseries are created equal. I called a palm nursery and asked, "Do you have any large Hyophorbe verschaffeltii in stock?"

Answer: "No, we just sell palms."

True story...

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

The black spines from a mature Rhapiophyllum can be plucked off the trunk, thrown like a dagger and stick into a fence post.

Lightning strikes to tall palm trees acts like a stimulant and gives them a growth spurt.

It's considered academically acceptable to name a palm after yourself if you were the first one to describe it.

Locality names are better than scientific names because they are easier to remember.

Royal palms seldom get over fifty feet.

roystonea_oleracea_005.gif

(look for the little people)

Phil

Stainless steel collars are put on Coconut Trees to reflect toward the ocean as a signal to lost mariners.

Putting a plastic bag over a pollinated palm flower is done to give higher humidity and encourage germination before the seed falls.

One leaf from a Corypha elata can cover a Volkswagen bug.

You can climb a tall palm trunk barefooted by merely using a short piece of rope or vine.

areca_catechu_006_(climbing_trunk).GIF

(Indonesia, getting Areca catechu seeds)

Chucked Allagoptera blossoms have an uncanny likeness to commonly spotted UFO's and were therefore worshiped by ancient inhabitants of coastal Argentina.

allagoptera_arenaria_002_(fruit_detail).GIF

Borrassus are easy to germinate in a one gallon pot.

Germination of Parajubaea seeds is aided by cool nights and hot days.

Rhopalostylis sapida is known as the "Shaving Brush Palm" because the Maori people in New Zealand formed brushes with the leaflets and began using these for shaving their beards over 500 years ago.

Phil