IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

(Jubaea chilensis x Butia capitata) x S. romanzoffiana

iwan

I posted this by mistake in the freeze damage sub-forum, so I will try again. Let's see some pictures of this cross. I know some of you probably have plants older than mine. Purchased in October 2006 as a liner, potted up to a 2g tree pot and in the ground about a month ago.

Jub%20x%20But%20x%20Syag.JPG

• Upvote 2

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

Looking good Robert. Where did you get yours?

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Hi Jim

All my cocoid hybrids (except for Lytoagrus) are from Patric. I think 2006 was the first year he offered these, but not positive. Hopefully, it will have the grace of JxB with a slimmer trunk. I am not looking forward to moving this if it turns out to be a monster.

Robert

9A

Hi Robert,

Here is a picture of mine from about two months ago. It has been a very fast grower and has very thick leathery fronds. It's interesting that my other hybrids have already gone pinnate, but not this one. Yours looks to be growing the same way. The two lower fronds were chewed off by rabbits.

024.jpg

And here it is apx one year earlier, just after receiving it from Patrick

Feb08_001x.jpg

• Upvote 1

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

I was going to comment that this was my slowest hybrid Matt. Your comments on growth are similar to mine. They also have much less base mass than my other hybrids and no sign of going pinnate (like my Syagrus coronata and sancona).

Hi Robert,

Here is a picture of mine from about two months ago. It has been a very fast grower and has very thick leathery fronds. It's interesting that my other hybrids have already gone pinnate, but not this one. Yours looks to be growing the same way. The two lower fronds were chewed off by rabbits.

Robert

9A

Actually gentlemen, if you got the plants from Patrick, it is correctly called Butia X Jubaea X (Syagrus). Originally we weren't sure who the mother was of the Bujubaea, but now we believe it was a Butia.

I have a Butiagrus X Syagrus, and it's gone pinnate. It has speaded up somewhat now that it has pinnate fronds, and is in the ground, but mine is planted near an Oleander hedge and is being crowded and doesn't get sun until noon. I gotta whack back that hedge.

I also have a Syagrus X Bujubaea, still not planted, and the two plants look somewhat similar, but I expect they will show differances when they get older. I expect they will both be large palms, at least as big as a Syagrus, and probably larger. With Butia and Jubaea in them, they should both be very cold hardy. Both of mine have sailed through 23F without a spot on the foliage. I expect they will take it much lower.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

Hi Jim

All my cocoid hybrids (except for Lytoagrus) are from Patric. I think 2006 was the first year he offered these, but not positive. Hopefully, it will have the grace of JxB with a slimmer trunk. I am not looking forward to moving this if it turns out to be a monster.

Hello Iwan,

I'm just curious how it looks, but do you have a picture of your Lytoagrus. I think these are fantastic!

Thanks!

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

I don't have any pictures of it right now. To be honest, it is an ugly little thing. I started throwing the first pinnate frond last fall in a 1g pot.

Hello Iwan,

I'm just curious how it looks, but do you have a picture of your Lytoagrus. I think these are fantastic!

Thanks!

Robert

9A

Thanks Dick, guess I don't have to worry about a massive trunk on this one. Hopefully it will be a fast grower and not block the walkway for long.

Guess this will be the great Dypsis mystery of to Cocoid world.

Actually gentlemen, if you got the plants from Patrick, it is correctly called Butia X Jubaea X (Syagrus). Originally we weren't sure who the mother was of the Bujubaea, but now we believe it was a Butia.

Dick

Robert

9A

• 9 years later...
On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2009‎ ‎2‎:‎07‎:‎57‎, iwan said:

I posted this by mistake in the freeze damage sub-forum, so I will try again. Let's see some pictures of this cross. I know some of you probably have plants older than mine. Purchased in October 2006 as a liner, potted up to a 2g tree pot and in the ground about a month ago.

Jub%20x%20But%20x%20Syag.JPG

Did it survive? If so, how about an updated photo Robert?

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 4 months later...
On 10/1/2018, 5:23:28, Josue Diaz said:

I'd love to see an update on this palm. 

Ditto :greenthumb: