IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

When It Rains it Pours

Ed in Houston

On Saturday the 18th it rained an inch every ten minutes for an hour and a half at my place in SE Houston. The Frogs in the yard thought they were getting

water boarded.

Fortunately, it rather dry compared to the 40 inchs we got in 24 hours many years back. It can really rain hard in SE Texas.

Ed

We got it just after you, but the worst was north of me. Here it was just a good old rain.

And I do remember TS Allison and the flooding you refer to.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

The gully washers continue, here are the rain totals from the last 10 days:

4/17: 1.3"

4/18: 8.7" - 1.5" per 10 mins!

4/24: 6.6"

4/27: 3.5"

That's about 20 inches in 10 days. This isn't a drop in the bucket compared to T.S. Allison in 2001, but its still a lot of water. Unfortunately the Mosquito population is probably about to explode, but on a positive note the palms should be ready to explode too.

I picked up another 5 inches on the 24th and another 2.5 inches on the 27th to go with the 9 inches in 1.5 hours from the week before.

It was rather dry at my place on the 27th with only 2.5 inches as there are reports of 10-15 inches in some places around town.

More rain is expected today.

Ed in the Houston swamp

You get more rain a day than we get in a normal year. We've had 9" since last July, and it makes us 1" below average.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

There has been some flooding around town from the last storm mostly on the NW side of town that got 10 inches or more in some areas, in a period of a couple of hours. Some folks got a water in their houses. It does this in Houston on a regular basis as the drainage infrastructure in every place cannot handle 10 inch rains in a couple of hours. It is suppose to only rain about 45 inches a year in Houston but for the last 20 years or so we have had many years with 60+ inches.

My yard drains fairly well but there are low spots on the sides of the backyard where it drains out to the street. On one side there is a 20 year large old water oak that pumps water fast. On the other side that is low, I planted this spring, a Ravenea Rivularis and three Chamadorea "cats". They love the heavy rains and the low spot.

Ed in Houston