IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

"Sabal tamaulipas"

tjwalters

7 minutes ago, James760 said:

Plantdelights.com

Last time I checked they weren't available.

How are their shipping rates?

8 minutes ago, amh said:

Last time I checked they weren't available.

How are their shipping rates?

$46.00 to ship me 5 small plants ( in their pot) 

Total for 5 plams +shipping =$166.80 :bemused:

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

3 minutes ago, James760 said:

$46.00 to ship me 5 small plants ( in their pot) 

Total for 5 plams +shipping =$166.80 :bemused:

That's not too bad; especially for cross country, I haven't seen any shipping rates listed on their site

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, amh said:

That's not too bad; especially for cross country, I haven't seen any shipping rates listed on their site

I just wish there plams were bigger. 

Don't quote me on this but I believe shipping starts off $24.00 for 1 plant then $5.00 each additional plant.

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

27 minutes ago, James760 said:

I just wish there plams were bigger. 

Don't quote me on this but I believe shipping starts off $24.00 for 1 plant then $5.00 each additional plant.

Its hard to ship anything over 1 gallon.

Again, not too bad. I found their shipping rates page.

Edited by amh
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 5/24/2019 at 12:10 PM, buffy said:

Tamaulipas didn't show a spec of damage at 8F. 

I'll update this to say that it didn't show a spec of damage at -5F either.  Amazing palm. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

3 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

This year they have both regular Tamaulipas and another separate locality from 80 miles away in San Carlos available . Not much info on what’s different about them.

https://www.plantdelights.com/products/sabal-sp-tamaulipas

https://www.plantdelights.com/products/sabal-sp-tamaulipas-san-carlos

Saw that, I ordered “normal” tamaulipas. Was tempted by the 80 miles north provenance though

11 minutes ago, teddytn said:

Saw that, I ordered “normal” tamaulipas. Was tempted by the 80 miles north provenance though

I’m guessing by the lack of info, and the obvious photo edit to make the picture bluer, probably not much difference. 

At JFGardens, Craig (nursery manager) told me that all the taumalipas in pots died but that most in the ground survived during the big freeze last February (got down to ~7 F there). I'll try and get a pic of some specimens next time I am back there (I probably have some on my phone but probably won't be able to ID anymore).

12 minutes ago, Meangreen94z said:

I’m guessing by the lack of info, and the obvious photo edit to make the picture bluer, probably not much difference. 

I respect PDN. Definitely noticed a trend towards “craft”/ small batch plant offerings with jacked up prices, not there but market wide in the past few years. 

41 minutes ago, Swolte said:

At JFGardens, Craig (nursery manager) told me that all the taumalipas in pots died but that most in the ground survived during the big freeze last February (got down to ~7 F there). I'll try and get a pic of some specimens next time I am back there (I probably have some on my phone but probably won't be able to ID anymore).

They are incredibly sensitive as seedlings, I lost several initially during the summer. They want complete shade and constantly moist soil during the hot months. So I could see them coming to an early demise during a freeze like that.  They appear to toughen up with size.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 1/4/2022 at 2:23 PM, buffy said:

I'll update this to say that it didn't show a spec of damage at -5F either.  Amazing palm. 

Wow that’s incredible. I was going to plant mine in a super sheltered spot, this opens some other options…thank you for posting that! 

Villa Mainero is one of the driest places where Sabal ‘Tamaulipas’ grows. Despite the name Villa Mainero is in the Sierra Madre and not the Sierra de San Carlos.

1.JPG

2.JPG

• Like 12

• 2 months later...