IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

November Thread

Neofolis

Hey Phoenix is going to be the warmest city on Thanksgiving Day. I have brought in most of my really tender palms already...

Phoenix Area, Arizona USA

Low Desert...... Zone 9b

Jan ave 66 high and 40 low

July ave 105 high and 80 low

About 4 to 8 frost a year...ave yearly min temp about 27F

About 8 inches of rain a year.

Low Desert

Phoenix.gif

Cool Mtn climate at 7,000'

Parks.gif

Surprise of surprises, I only bottomed out at 48.2 F in my notoriously cold patch of land. I guess I may have some protection from having Tampa, Pinellas and Tampa Bay to the northwest and north of me. It was forcast to go down to 40 F. I was looking at the point and click forcasts from the NWS and they have 34 degrees F with patchy frost forcast all the way down in western Broward County tonight with 37 F forcast for Homestead and Florida City - this is nuts! By the way they have 43 to 45 F forcast for me tonight, but they also have mostly cloudy with sprinkles forcast but I haven't seen too many clouds in the area tonight so I am expecting a little lower than that - maybe 38 to 41 F as a best guess. This is some prolonged cool weather if nothing else. I haven't seen any visible damage to the zone 10A and up stuff but that does not mean it is not happening. Probably more worrisome to me is that this prolonged coolness is really depleting our warm water reserves so to speak in the gulf and bay which may leave us vulnerable for some really nasty stuff later this winter. Pray for a nice and hopefully prolonged warmer period on the other side of this trough to recharge the batteries....

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

(ruskinPalms @ Nov. 21 2006,17:42)

I was looking at the point and click forcasts from the NWS and they have 34 degrees F with patchy frost forcast all the way down in western Broward County tonight with 37 F forcast for Homestead and Florida City - this is nuts!

Bill,

I agree - This is definitely nuts! Local stations here are warning everyone in the western palm beach county suburbs of possible frosts tomorrow morning. We went from the upper 80's to this in just a few weeks. Crazy! Lets hope we don't hit these possible lows and warm up considerably very soon again.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

Just out of curiosity, I looked up the record low for Homestead on Nov 21 and it is 42F.  If it actually got down into the 30s it would shatter the record lows.  The latest Yahoo forecast shows only a low of 44F for Homestead.

Tonight: Mainly clear. Low 44F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.

Tomorrow: Windy with a few clouds from time to time. High 68F. Winds WNW at 20 to 30 mph.

Tomorrow night: Fair skies. Low 49F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.

Thursday: Mainly sunny. High 72F. Winds NNW at 10 to 15 mph.

Friday: Scattered showers. Highs in the mid 70s and lows in the low 60s.

Saturday: Times of sun and clouds. Highs in the upper 70s and lows in the low 60s.

Surprise of surprises, I only bottomed out at 48.2 F in my notoriously cold patch of land. I guess I may have some protection from having Tampa, Pinellas and Tampa Bay to the northwest and north of me.

Bill-

Your spot is probably like mine.....some nice NW and even N winds can actually help on cold nights.

The winds last night also really evened out the temperatures.  To see just how much this happened.....Did you see Albert Whitted's reading?

Tonight is shaping up similarly to last night, but the only catch is that tonight the dewpoints are a little lower.  I guess we shall see how this affects things.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

(ruskinPalms @ Nov. 21 2006,20:24)

Well, the NWS tends to be one of the more pessimistic authorities :(

As much as I know this isnt to be expected all the time, seeing this NWS forecast compared to the Homestead one above is nice for a change :P

tarpon3.jpg

Larry 

(spockvr6 @ Nov. 21 2006,20:24)

Surprise of surprises, I only bottomed out at 48.2 F in my notoriously cold patch of land. I guess I may have some protection from having Tampa, Pinellas and Tampa Bay to the northwest and north of me.

Bill-

Your spot is probably like mine.....some nice NW and even N winds can actually help on cold nights.

The winds last night also really evened out the temperatures.  To see just how much this happened.....Did you see Albert Whitted's reading?

Tonight is shaping up similarly to last night, but the only catch is that tonight the dewpoints are a little lower.  I guess we shall see how this affects things.

Larry, I agree. This may be Ruskin's only saving grace is that it does seem to have some natural and even un-natural (Tampa) protection to the north and northwest. There is no doubt that places downwind of Tampa Bay were noticeably warmer last night. For example, the FAWN station in Dover bottomed out at about 41.2 F while the Balm station bottomed out at 46.5 F. Most of the time so far this year, Dover has been the warmer of the two.  Now for radiational cooling nights, Ruskin is not too much warmer than any other place in central Florida. In fact, it seems urban heat islands work great on these nights.  Really, I think I would rather have better protection on these radational nights as this happens more frequently.  I really had higher hopes for this pond behind my house on radiational nights, but it just has not seemed to help too much  :(    - or else maybe it does help and it would be even worse on radiational cooling nights without it  :o

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

(ruskinPalms @ Nov. 21 2006,20:51)

Really, I think I would rather have better protection on these radational nights as this happens more frequently.  

I agree 100%.

The lion's share of the time, being in a spot that fares well on radiational nights will be preferable since such events are so much more frequent.

And, these warmer spots on radiational nights really seem to fare no worse on the windy nights as well.  So, its a no lose situation.

So, it all boils down to being very close to a large body fo water and being downwind when the N/NW winds blow.  Add a little urban heat and its only improves things.  I assume this is why the SE part of Pinellas is best.

Larry 

(ruskinPalms @ Nov. 21 2006,20:29)

And this is ridiculous...

Ill tell you....as many times as I have seen such numbers, they still cease to amaze me.

Larry 

(spockvr6 @ Nov. 21 2006,20:24)

So far...tonight is a carbon copy of last night.  A little after 10PM and 55.0F here, which is exactly what it was last night at this time.

Larry 

Fascinating discussion of wind & water dynamics that actively modify temperature.  Hadn't considered how this impacts on Florida's east coast.  Has anyone observed the opposite of cold Atlantic air moving west across the peninsula?   ???

30's/40's at 30- latitude/November is quite unusual.  What's the historic data?  Wish you guys the best.   :;): Nothing wrong with good old Xmas tree lights on smaller palms/tender plants.  

Jim

Texas appears unaffected by this episode - warm day temps greatly reduce the possibility of damaging night temps.

This all seems so early   :o

Dropped 15 degrees today & 8 degrees overnight.  Mild marine air/hazy days and seasonably cool nights.

LA : 75/58

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Phoenix high today was 87F .....almost broke the all time recorded high for the day, which is 88F......

Phoenix Area, Arizona USA

Low Desert...... Zone 9b

Jan ave 66 high and 40 low

July ave 105 high and 80 low

About 4 to 8 frost a year...ave yearly min temp about 27F

About 8 inches of rain a year.

Low Desert

Phoenix.gif

Cool Mtn climate at 7,000'

Parks.gif

Been enjoying 80-90 deg temps for the past three weeks but all good things must come to an end.  Temps will go down to mid to low 70's before bottoming out in the low 60's next week and night time temps dipping into the 40's for the first time before warming back up toward the end of next week.  I sure hope the warm fall doesn't translate to a cold winter.

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

6:11am and 41.9F at my house and falling. Enough already.  :(

Local NBC station reporting that previous WPB record was 41F, so we're looking to break it any time. We'll see. Would rather be breaking the high. We may also break the lowest high for today.

Also saw clip of snow flurries in Orlando last night. Unbelievable.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

For anyone coming to West Palm Beach area for the Thanksgiving holiday, bring your bathing suit, but bring your winter parka as well. When you get here, you'll need the parka and mittens. By the weekend you'll be fine with the bathing suit and tanning oil. Go figure. :)

Well its getting light out. Guess its time to head out to the garden with that hair dryer to warm up those tender palms.  :D

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

(ZoneTenNut @ Nov. 22 2006,06:13)

Snow?? in Nov?? in Orlando??

Unreal.  This winter's gonna be a bad one :P

The frost advisories in Broward and the forecast low of 37F in Homestead are just plain strange.  Our forecast wasn't anywhere near that low and no possibility of frost either.

I just stepped outside.  Honestly it feels more like January out there and it's only Nov.  So - how will January feel  :(

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Local NBC station reporting that previous WPB record was 41F, so we're looking to break it any time. We'll see. Would rather be breaking the high. We may also break the lowest high for today.

Zone10-

You wont believe this but up here in Tarpon Springs is 55F and the low was 54.1F around 1AM.

After midnight last night, the winds actually shifted pretty much due west and that obviously caused the temperatures to rise over here rather than fall.

Larry 

(SunnyFl @ Nov. 22 2006,06:35)

The frost advisories in Broward and the forecast low of 37F in Homestead are just plain strange.  Our forecast wasn't anywhere near that low and no possibility of frost either.

Sunny-

As of 6AM, Homestead AFB was reporting 41F, so they might get close to that 37F forecast :(

And, theres an amatuer station in south Miami right on Biscyane Bay showing 43F at this hour.

And get this.....it is warmer in Lealman,FL than Marathon, FL!

There are readings in the middle 30's in inland Palm Beach, Jupiter, PSL, and those middle 30's get right to the coast by Vero.

The East coast is getting killed with this one.  I guess it will be the West coast's turn the next round.

Larry 

(spockvr6 @ Nov. 22 2006,06:37)

Zone10-

You wont believe this but up here in Tarpon Springs is 55F and the low was 54.1F around 1AM.

After midnight last night, the winds actually shifted pretty much due west and that obviously caused the temperatures to rise over here rather than fall.

55F? What I wouldn't give for 55F! I was just thinking that my Thanksgiving prayer will be, Lord please give us a NE, E, or SE, wind, and quick. Not sure exactly what the ocean temp is right now, but must be 77F or so and would instantly warm us back up.

As of 7:12, I'm down to 41.4F and the sun is up, so I don't think I'll go any lower.  :)  Areas just a few miles West of me are 38F. I have no frost and it is very still, so looks like we're going to be O.K. and we start the warm up from here on out.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

Wooohoo!!  Wouldja look at that!

Larry it's unreal - Pinellas is the warmest place in the state!

Thanks for posting it - I ought to save it for later this winter when I'm trying to save my palmies from the artic chill-to-come :D

On a slightly off-topic note, and only because I just went outside and saw it......

My rivularis just had a major recovery from the Attack of the Skeletonizers!  It's thrown up 2 new bodacious fronds and looks robust.  If you want my op, the best "fertilizer" is a good dose of pesticide LOL - this palm is kickin' it.  Amazing, given the cooler temps.

But it's warmer here than Miami!

(i do not want to move, i do NOT want to move, wahhh)

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

(ZoneTenNut @ Nov. 22 2006,07:11)

I was just thinking that my Thanksgiving prayer will be, Lord please give us a NE, E, or SE, wind, and quick.

Zone10-

You neednt waste your time with such supplication.

Mine will only be the opposite of yours, and as such, they will cancel each other out  :D

Larry 

(SunnyFl @ Nov. 22 2006,07:17)

Wooohoo!!  Wouldja look at that!

Larry it's unreal - Pinellas is the warmest place in the state!

Thanks for posting it - I ought to save it for later this winter when I'm trying to save my palmies from the artic chill-to-come :D

Sunny - I only wish this could happen all the time :angry:

But, Ill take the "gift".

Larry 

(spockvr6 @ Nov. 22 2006,08:45)

(ZoneTenNut @ Nov. 22 2006,07:11)

I was just thinking that my Thanksgiving prayer will be, Lord please give us a NE, E, or SE, wind, and quick.

Zone10-

You neednt waste your time with such supplication.

Mine will only be the opposite of yours, and as such, they will cancel each other out  :D

Too funny but so true.  :D

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

By the way they have 43 to 45 F forcast for me tonight, but they also have mostly cloudy with sprinkles forcast but I haven't seen too many clouds in the area tonight so I am expecting a little lower than that - maybe 38 to 41 F as a best guess.

Surprise surprise Bill...betcha stayed in the 50's  :D

Larry 

What puzzles me is how odd it is that Miami is colder than Tampa/St. Petersburg.  When's the last time that happened?   ???

Tender tropicals & high-heat palms / cocos may react.   :(  

We know "40's" very well in California and how they induce hibernation mode during winter.  In contrast, this is a brief & rarely experienced episode in Florida  :;):

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

(happ @ Nov. 22 2006,09:18)

What puzzles me is how odd it is that Miami is colder than Tampa/St. Petersburg.  

Happ-

My meteorlogical knowledge is extremely limited, but I believe it has something to do with the way the pressure systems in the Atlantic and Gulf influenced things.

In my area, we ended up with a NW to W flow which is quite beneficial as it brings in much warmer air off the Gulf.

Of course, such a flow down in SE FL is terrible as the Atlantic influence is negated.

Larry 

When's the last time that happened?   ???

These flip flop things do happen sometimes, but when the big ones hit....then the real pecking order becomes apparent :angry:

Up here, we get to "pretend" every once in a while though  :D

However, in the dead of winter is it very common to see areas of extreme interior SFL running far colder than coastal areas 100-200 miles farther north.

Larry 

Tender tropicals & high-heat palms / cocos may react.   :(  

Happ,

Tender tropicals are definitely reacting. My Copperleaf bushes are dropping all their leaves. They don't like cold or dry and we have both right now.

As for coconuts, we have loads of them around here. I've got 12 of them in my yard and large mature 8 yr. old ones, have seen temps of 33F for a short period. They got a little leaf tip burn from that, but on return of warmer weather, quickly recovered. Smaller seedlings could be hurt though, at that temperature, depending on how they are situated. What saves us here, for the most part, is that the cold spells are typically very short and temps quickly jump back up once the winds come back off the ocean. So in most cases, it doesn't stay cold long enough to do long term damage. However, we can and do have those protracted cold spells or even lower temps, where alot of things get damaged. It appears on this one, we lucked out and while cold, should come out O.K.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

(ZoneTenNut @ Nov. 22 2006,10:12)

What saves us here, for the most part, is that the cold spells are typically very short and temps quickly jump back up once the winds come back off the ocean. So in most cases, it doesn't stay cold long enough to do long term damage.

You hit on something that is frequently missed when folks look only at low temps.  Such a view is not the whole story when it comes to what the landscape will look like.

Larry 

Ain't the first time down south got the shaft and we just got the handle, also do not forget that they daytime highs will be stronger down the way than up here, in general at least.  The lows will not give any trouble to the tropical fruit growers there.  I will check with a friend down there growing some fruit of tropical origin on a big scale.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

(Alan_Tampa @ Nov. 22 2006,13:22)

Ain't the first time down south got the shaft and we just got the handle,

Alan-

Id say that anywhere even remotely close to water in the Tampa Bay area didnt get the handle these past few nights.....We were holding that dang handle and snapped that SOB in two!  

Its a pity that this isnt how they could all go  :laugh:

Larry 

It did manage to get down to 46.6F at some point last night. I'm not sure at what time though as it does not keep any kind of log. I was very shocked to see 55.2F at 7am this morning when I woke up though. Definitely I liked that west wind better than N and NW!

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

The anomaly with this event is twofold:  Early season cold &  juxiposition of coldest air.  

Larry/Alan/St Pete were nicely spared.   :D

Actually Florida & Cali are experiencing similar conditions.   :P

LA : 72/62

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Will a cold spell have much influence on water temperatures in the Florida area and, if so, how much influence will that change have on future land temperatures?  I appreciate the cold spell may have some influence, but won't the large mass of warm water in the gulf moderate it to some extent?  Whilst the land temperatures are in turn moderated by the surrounding water, would it not require quite a substantial change in water temperature to have a noticable effect on land temperatures?

I had been thinking that the exceptionally warm summer and autumn here would cause ongoing higher than average temperatures, due to warm waters and, whilst it has for the most part followed that pattern, the -5°C/23°F that we experienced on 3rd November is the lowest temperaure that I can recall that early in any Autumn.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

49.9F at 6:25am. The warmup has begun in earnest. Tomorrow mornings low should be 53F and then back up in the low to mid 60'sF for the lows over the next week. Should hit 70F for the high today and then climbing back to low 80's by Sunday on out. Whewwww!

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

There is a dome of high pressure over Texas right now and we are experiencing above normal temps.  Someone said 87 in Phoenix, we came close to that too.  We were in the 80s today, not sure of the official high temp yet, though.