IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

November Thread

Neofolis

Still not terrible  here..... up to 65f today and about 45f tonight.... but next week we're forecast to dip into the upper 30's for a night low....with daytime temps only in the mid 50's...

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

A very fixed pattern persists over the Southwest as subtropical high dominates.  Occasional influx of high clouds; the only remnants of intense Pacific storms into NorthWest.  Very little temperature variation of mostly offshore flow.  These are the days that visitors declare SoCal as fabulous   :laugh:

Hot for a while and no rain  :(

LA : 85/60  

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

(happ @ Nov. 17 2006,21:35)

These are the days that visitors declare SoCal as fabulous   :laugh:

And these are the days that Floridians declare "I thought I lived in Florida?"  :D

Its the coldest morning of the year so far here (low of 48.2F at 7:10 AM)  here in Larry's Jungle and 30's are to be found not all that much father north.  With the looks of the forecast, this might be one of the warmer mornings of the next 4-5 days  ???

Monday night is looking to be rather rough with temps in the low-mid 40's accompanied by a very lovely 18-21 mph (gusts to 31 mph) North wind.  How pleasant!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Saturday 7:12am and it got down to 59 overnight, with even colder temps forecast Mon-Wed. The palms will move into a more dormant stage for the most part, which is a bummer, as I wish I could squeeze out more hurricane Wilma recovery growth, but on the bright side, the weeds also move into the dormant stage and this will save me $$$s on RoundUp. :)

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

Grabbed a cup of coffe and went for a walkabout, with my sweatshirt and SHOES on, and saw one of those green iguanas we have here, up in a Casia tree. The thing was perched up on a limb and looked literally frozen in place with the spins on its back sticking straight up like goose pimples. Guess he was a little chilled as well. :;):

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

ZoneTen Nut-

First off......your town has the coolest name ever!  I have always thought that if I were to live on a street that I could name, my address would be "One Royal Palm Way" :D

And yes....the forecast is looking cold for the next few days, even for your area which usually stays decently warm.

rpb.jpg

Larry 

How can that be??  I just checked our NWS page (Lealman, Fl), valid at 9:00 EST Nov 18:

Although we only get up to 69F today, tonight's low will be 51 - yet Royal Palm Beach low is supposed to be 48?

And Monday - our low is forecast to be 43 - but RPB will be 2 degrees lower at 41?

Sheesh.

(wish I could post the page but still can't. sorry.)

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

(SunnyFl @ Nov. 18 2006,08:56)

Here you go----

lealman.jpg

Larry 

NWS-MIAMI 11-18-06

COLDER AIR WILL CONTINUE TO FILTER INTO MAINLAND SOUTH FLORIDA

OVER THE NEXT SEVERAL DAYS. THE COLDEST READINGS ARE EXPECTED TUESDAY

AND WEDNESDAY MORNING, WITH LOWS IN THE UPPER 30S ACROSS FAR

INTERIOR AREAS AND IN THE 40S ELSEWHERE.

This type of event is way too early.  Some records could be broken.  

Chilly but not dangerous to most palms  :(

Good luck  :)

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

(spockvr6 @ Nov. 18 2006,09:10)

(SunnyFl @ Nov. 18 2006,08:56)

Here you go----

Hey, thanks!  It's nice to have a pic of what I was talking about :)

I notice that Tarpon won't get any cooler than we are, interesting.

And I just checked out the graphic of the statewide temperatures - hard to see, but am relieved my lil 'hood stays in the green, but barely.  In Polk, it's interesting to note that there's an area that stays warmer (well, "less cold") than other parts of the county - but no green there, alas :(

St. Pete

(SunnyFl @ Nov. 18 2006,12:00)

I notice that Tarpon won't get any cooler than we are, interesting.

The two great equalizers....wind and water.

In a dead calm radiational night, my spot will usually run 2-3F colder than the Lealman area.  But, move a tad more SE from there and the difference gets far greater :angry:

Larry 

(happ @ Nov. 18 2006,11:47)

You could be right.  I see that the records for West Palm Beach AP for the next few nights are 45-46F.

Larry 

Spockvr6,

Always liked the name of my town as well. Especially appropriate for a palmaholic.

These kinds of lows are definitely too early for us. Its crispy clear out with moderate winds, but you can definitely tell it is going to get colder. If we actually get down to the low 40's, might even be able to use the fireplace without kicking up the air.  :D

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

(happ @ Nov. 18 2006,11:47)

NWS-MIAMI 11-18-06

COLDER AIR WILL CONTINUE TO FILTER INTO MAINLAND SOUTH FLORIDA

OVER THE NEXT SEVERAL DAYS. THE COLDEST READINGS ARE EXPECTED TUESDAY

AND WEDNESDAY MORNING, WITH LOWS IN THE UPPER 30S ACROSS FAR

INTERIOR AREAS AND IN THE 40S ELSEWHERE.

Chilly but not dangerous to most palms  :(

Good luck  :)

Not dangerous yet.

But December is coming, and the clock is ticking......

St. Pete

I just looked at the weather forecast for Tampa and they're saying mid - upper 30's for the area... I can't believe this..

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Latitude is but one component of climate.  A region in SFL may get colder/stay cooler than a region in CFL depending upon the type of cold event, direction of approach, flapping butterfly wings, soil type, topography direction of the tide, and a santa's toy bag of other factors.  

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

(BobbyinNY @ Nov. 18 2006,16:00)

I just looked at the weather forecast for Tampa and they're saying mid - upper 30's for the area... I can't believe this..

Bobby-

You are likely talking about the Brooksville area, not Tampa per se.  It gets dang cold up about an hour north of town.

Larry 

Expecting upper 30's along the North Florida Gulf Coast the next couple of nights. Not much colder than you all down south. Still too colc too early for me.

David

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

(ruskinPalms @ Nov. 18 2006,20:53)

Had to post these forcast shots from the NWS for 3 different areas of Hillsborough County

Warmest:

Goodness Bill!  That location is in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico!

Larry 

I would not be surpsied if my little patch dropped below 40F on Monday night.  If not, it might be close!

Larry 

Larry, I admit, I cheated. That warm forcast is from Egmont Key - which somehow is part of Hillsborough County  :;):  This may be one of the warmest areas on the west cost of FL as it is pretty far out from the mainland. Also, I have no doubt that I will see 37 or 38 this week at my house as it seems to get colder than the NWS forcast here - next to pretty good sized pond and all   :angry:

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Nothing cold enough to worry about in these forecasts, wait till they start with the 20's of some kind or at least low 30's.  This is the time of year to keep up with the forecasts, regardless of whatever accuracy they may have or have not.  An approaching front is an important event to keep an eye on.  The news guys on TV are best watched with entertainment in mind.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

(Alan_Tampa @ Nov. 18 2006,22:40)

Nothing cold enough to worry about in these forecasts, wait till they start with the 20's of some kind or at least low 30's.  This is the time of year to keep up with the forecasts, regardless of whatever accuracy they may have or have not.  An approaching front is an important event to keep an eye on.  The news guys on TV are best watched with entertainment in mind.

Alan

Yeah....these forecasts are just for fun.

I watch them even when the numbers arent low enough to worry about as these types of nights can sometime start separating out (i.e. make obvious) the warmer areas from the colder ones...as if we didnt already know where those areas are :D

Larry 

Down to 52F here, as of 6:30am Sun. morning. Chilly and bracing for even cooler temps over the next few days. Anxiously watching to see what happens to all our friends in Northern and Central FL., as we're next in line, IF the front makes it this far south. :(

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

Zone10Nut-

Be thankful you are not a tad further inland!  There is an amateur station in Royal Palm Beach showing 45F at this hour and another in inland Jupiter showing 48F!  (I am a member of weatherunderground.com as I report my station data there and as such watch all the stations daily.)

It is a chilly 46.4F here in my yard right now.

http://www.wunderground.com/weather....LTARPO3

The air is dead calm this AM and as such, the places to be are near the water. It is 9 degrees warmer right now at Clearwater Beach than at my house.

Similarly, the Univeristy of South Florida marine station on the Gulf in Tarpon Springs showed 56F at their last report (554AM), or a full 10F warmer than my yard and I am but 1.5 miles inland!  Oh my.....I guess I need to start looking at houses over there  :D

Likewise, stations are showing readings of 46-48F right down the center of the Pinellas peninsula almost all the way down. Yet, the stations on the Gulf (St. Pete Beach) and Bay sides (Albert Whitted) of these interior regions are sitting at 55F and 57F respectively.

Interior locals of the general Tampa Bay area (Valrico, Seffner, etc) are showing some readings in the upper 30's.

In the areas about an hour north of Tampa....forget it. There must be frost up there this AM as the Brooksville station is showing 33F and some change  

The next two mornings are looking to be colder  :angry:

Larry 

Heres a quick screenshot of the numbers for the FAWN stations.

Check out the 36F being reported NW of Vero Beach (Kenansville)!

post-200-1163937908_thumb.png

Larry 

It looks like this winter we're up to a significant snow event in FL... the way things are going. Better now that my palms are all in pots. High 30s a possibility this week. Everyday I keep bringing new species indoors into the south facing room... I hope the wife doesn't mind the lush interiors.

My Hydriasteles are showing some cold damage (leaf burn?) already. More sensitive than the Cyrtostachys?

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

(spockvr6 @ Nov. 19 2006,06:42)

Zone10Nut-

Be thankful you are not a tad further inland!  There is an amateur station in Royal Palm Beach showing 45F at this hour and another in inland Jupiter showing 48F!  (I am a member of weatherunderground.com as I report my station data there and as such watch all the stations daily.)

It is a chilly 46.4F here in my yard right now.

http://www.wunderground.com/weather....LTARPO3

The air is dead calm this AM and as such, the places to be are near the water. It is 9 degrees warmer right now at Clearwater Beach than at my house.

Similarly, the Univeristy of South Florida marine station on the Gulf in Tarpon Springs showed 56F at their last report (554AM), or a full 10F warmer than my yard and I am but 1.5 miles inland!  Oh my.....I guess I need to start looking at houses over there  :D

Likewise, stations are showing readings of 46-48F right down the center of the Pinellas peninsula almost all the way down. Yet, the stations on the Gulf (St. Pete Beach) and Bay sides (Albert Whitted) of these interior regions are sitting at 55F and 57F respectively.

Interior locals of the general Tampa Bay area (Valrico, Seffner, etc) are showing some readings in the upper 30's.

In the areas about an hour north of Tampa....forget it. There must be frost up there this AM as the Brooksville station is showing 33F and some change  

The next two mornings are looking to be colder  :angry:

Larry,

Interesting data, thanks for sharing it. Its amazing how a few miles inland can make a significant difference. I usually get a light frost this far inland, once or twice a year. I had one last winter, but none the previous three years. My folks live about six miles East of me (closer to the coast) and don't get any frosts. During the winter I switch the irrigation to come on late morning, so the ground is wet during the heat of the day and can soak up the suns warmth. This sometimes gives me an extra degree or two of warmth over night and has helped some of my more sensitive palms weather the cold. In past years, I also counted on the canopy of all the tall palms in my landscape, to shield the worst effects of any frosts, but three hurricanes over the last few years have really reduced the canopy I once had, so hopefully we won't have any frosts this year.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

Hey all,

It's getting kinda' scary here lately at least for my area. NWS has 38-39 F predicted for my low on Tuesday night. Do I need to start protecting some of the more tender palms like the V. arecina and Bottles?

Thanks,

Bill

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

(Alan_Tampa @ Nov. 18 2006,19:22)

Latitude is but one component of climate.  A region in SFL may get colder/stay cooler than a region in CFL depending upon the type of cold event, direction of approach... soil type, topography direction of the tide

Ain't that the truth.  During winter months, we almost always are warmer than wherever-it-is that the Fort Myers reading comes from.  I have to seriously believe that their station is in an interior location, whereas St. Pete is surrounded by water.  Also, our reading comes from Albert Whitted....

...which, although it's quite a bit warmer than most of St. Pete, may not be entirely unrepresentative, as other locations - such as the beaches and Sunken Gardens - might have similar readings, dunno.

flapping butterfly wings
 no, I think the flapping butterfy wings have more to do with hurricanes - the butterflies in Africa, that is :D

St. Pete

This polar event should wane by Tuesday & the nation will turn mild. Arctic air, the "real monster" should be confined to Canada.

Often there's a sorta Yin / Yang pattern to continental air masses.  

Another very hot day in SoCal:

LA : 92/67

UCLA/WESTWOOD : 90/69

GETTY : 91/73

WOODLAND HILLS : 96/49

RIVERSIDE :   94 / 56

ESCONDIDO :   94 / 48

SAN PASQUEL/WILD ANIMAL PARK :   98 / 44

EL CAJON :   95 / 50

Jet stream shifts NW & cool down sets in with marine air

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Don't know if it's the same cold front that is going through FL, but we dipped down to 37F and 35F on back to back nights 2-3 nights ago.  No freeze/frost though.  The palms have definetely gone dormant.  Here is my extended forecast, it is warming up nicely.  Average hi is in the low 70s. (70-71F).  Highs are supposed to range from 71-79F.  Which looks warmer than many areas of FL for the same time period.

Overnight: Clear, with a low around 41. North wind around 5 mph.

Monday: Sunny, with a high near 71. North wind 5 to 10 mph becoming east.

Monday Night: Clear, with a low around 37. East southeast wind around 5 mph becoming calm.

Tuesday: Sunny, with a high near 72. South wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Tuesday Night: Clear, with a low around 45. South wind around 5 mph.

Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 75. South southwest wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Wednesday Night: Clear, with a low around 50. South wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Thanksgiving Day: Mostly sunny, with a high near 78. South wind around 10 mph.

Thursday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 52. South wind around 10 mph.

Friday: Partly cloudy, with a high near 78.

Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 51.

Saturday: A 20 percent chance of rain. Partly cloudy, with a high near 76.

Saturday Night: A 10 percent chance of rain. Partly cloudy, with a low around 56.

Sunday: A 20 percent chance of rain. Partly cloudy, with a high near 76.

Well we have just had our last "warmer than parts of Florida" night.  It was 12°C/54°F this morning, we are due to cool down a bit from now on, although still mostly above average temperatures for the time of year.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

We hit 50F for the low this morning, so not as cold as had been predicted, but still, the next few days promise to be much colder.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

Sunny,

Went to the Sunken Gardens for the first time a couple years ago. Was amazed to see many very mature tropical palms (Kings, Coconuts) and plants there, which I thought could not survive that far north. I used to live in St. Pete back in 1978 and also don't remember coconuts palms there, but we took a drive along the beach and saw tons of them and many with fruit. I was in high school in '78' and into other things, so maybe just didn't notice them. Have there always been coconuts up there or is this due to global warming, luck, treat them like an annual, or what? Your thoughts?  ???

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude