IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

November Thread

Neofolis

Dont look yet Jim, but this time next week is looking cold!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

(spockvr6 @ Nov. 24 2006,16:19)

I know.  I don't know about Florida, but they are saying a week from now it will only be in the 50s and 60s here, 30s for lows around here.  

Current 10 day forecast for SA.  Doesn't look too bad, no frost/freeze forecasted yet

Tonight  58°  

Sat Nov 25  79°/58°  

Sun Nov 26 80°/62°  

Mon Nov 27 81°/63°  

Tue Nov 28  81°/64°  

Wed Nov 29 80°/50°

Thu Nov 30 58°/36°

Fri Dec 01  60°/40°  

Sat Dec 02 64°/48°  

Sun Dec 03  70°/52°

There is NWS-LA & SD disagreement over the long term/2weeks out.  But all models point to a significant "Allusion Islands"  event." Temps similar to what Florida just experienced.  Frost in the most prone/lowland/ravines.  40's for several nights.  Can't quite understand how this occurs under cloudy skies.   ???   Maritime trajectories greatly modify cold airmass.

Spent a few days up in Chico/north Sacramento valley & experienced a light frost w/ 35F mimimum.  Couldn't get over the outrageous fall color of mature desidous trees.   :P

LA: 70/54

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Stangely mild again here.  At 06:15 this morning the temperature is 13°C/55.4°F and having checked Europe, Paris at 06:15 was 17°C/63°F, which is just freaky.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Looks like we are in for a lot of 80's for highs and 50s and 60s for lows the next few days before another cool down. I guess it is a rollercoaster this time of year which can make looking at averages for late fall, winter and early spring months kinda' deceiving. It either seems to be hot or cold around here! Bottle palms and V. arecina are still growing believe it or not after this recent nastiness. One King palm of some sort is slowly opening a frond along with a foxtail or two. The Cocos seem in suspended animation for the time being but I bet they grow a little with these 80s coming up. I know there is a big debate about whether it is better for the palms to harden off, but I swear some of these immediately resumed growth once the daytime highs went back above 70F. I think I'll take spurts of wintertime growth over complete stasis and take my chances with a half opened frond getting fried in a cold spell.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

62f here tomorrow, 66f on Monday... but next week we're supposed to drop down into the high 40's for a high and, for the first time since last winter drop below 30f.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

(syersj @ Nov. 24 2006,19:54)

I know.  I don't know about Florida, but they are saying a week from now it will only be in the 50s and 60s here, 30s for lows around here.  

Current 10 day forecast for SA.  Doesn't look too bad, no frost/freeze forecasted yet

Tonight  58°  

Sat Nov 25  79°/58°  

Sun Nov 26 80°/62°  

Mon Nov 27 81°/63°  

Tue Nov 28  81°/64°  

Wed Nov 29 80°/50°

Thu Nov 30 58°/36°

Fri Dec 01  60°/40°  

Sat Dec 02 64°/48°  

Sun Dec 03  70°/52°

Jim-

I sometimes watch the TX forecasts as they can give some advance warning about what we might get a day or two later over here.  

As such, I see that the forecasted lows for much of TX have been dropped over the past few days....so I am wondering what is going to happen here (if the forecasted lows will drop to follow suit).  When I see Galveston forecast for upper 30's, my ears perk up  ???

Larry 

Should stay mild over bulk of nation well into December  :cool:

Only the Pacific West is colder than normal.  It is snowing in Seattle at sea level  :P   Kitsap island/Bainbridge support some palms.

It is cold but initial predictions haven't occurred.  NWS-LA forecasts 43F on Wednesday   ???

LA : 70/57 [sat]

54 this morning  

WXAmerica 11-26-06

But once again, that subtropical high covering FL and the Bahamas prevents any kind of magical frontal wave from taking shape in the Southeast (as was the case last week). Instead, any energy in the polar jet stream and the subtropical wind axis will be forced into the Mid-Atlantic and New England states as pure forcing along the cold front. So aside from some wind and rain, the only really wintry effect of the thermal boundary will be 24-48 hours of chilly conditions across the eastern two-thirds of the nation. And if the computer outlooks are correct (and I have no reason to doubt them), FL will escape the cold and tourists will be delighted with sunny and warm weather between 96 and 240 hours.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

(happ @ Nov. 26 2006,10:56)

if the computer outlooks are correct (and I have no reason to doubt them), FL will escape the cold and tourists will be delighted with sunny and warm weather between 96 and 240 hours.

Hehe, no happ (or should I say "Larry") - it's not just the tourists who will be delighted - the palms are loving this.  I told my spindle and he perked right up. :D

This weather is the best - it's fantastic for going out and enjoying the sight of the palms luxuriating in the warmth and brilliant sunshine.  And looking out the back window today, just loved the sight of 2 rivularises, fronds waving in the wind with sun pouring down on them - a terrific antidote to the last few days spent Up North without a palm around and the dead grass and less light, ugh.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

(spockvr6 @ Nov. 25 2006,20:57)

I sometimes watch the TX forecasts as they can give some advance warning about what we might get a day or two later over here.  

I do that, too.  I think it's truest during el Nino events, when systems seem to track due east.

As such, I see that the forecasted lows for much of TX have been dropped over the past few days....so I am wondering what is going to happen here (if the forecasted lows will drop to follow suit).  When I see Galveston forecast for upper 30's, my ears perk up  ???
  Eeek, let's hope for no more cold...

Ruskin - did you say you even got a few furries when it snowed in Orlando??  :P

St. Pete

(SunnyFl @ Nov. 26 2006,19:54)

Sunny-

Last I checked the forecasts there isnt any mention of cold coming.  So, for the time being, I guess next weeks front will stay to the north, which is fine by me.

Larry 

I worry for all my friends down in FL or TX who have palms in the ground when I hear you guys are going into the 30's or below.... I don't really worry too much for myself because all of my stuff is protected now, but I do worry about how I'm going to pay for it when our temps drop into the low 20's (or below) and my heaters are running full force.........

and then comes the electric bill at the end of the month... :(

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

(BobbyinNY @ Nov. 26 2006,21:52)

I worry for all my friends down in FL or TX who have palms in the ground when I hear you guys are going into the 30's or below.... I don't really worry too much for myself because all of my stuff is protected now, but I do worry about how I'm going to pay for it when our temps drop into the low 20's (or below) and my heaters are running full force.........

and then comes the electric bill at the end of the month... :(

Thanks, Bobby.  Most of my stuff is hardy palms that aren't touched by 30F.  So no worries for me.  Mainly Washingtonias, CIDPs, Syagrus R., etc.  Next year I might expiriment with more marginal zone 9a/b palms.

(syersj @ Nov. 24 2006,19:54)

Tonight  58°  

Sat Nov 25  79°/58°  

Sun Nov 26 80°/62°  

Mon Nov 27 81°/63°  

Tue Nov 28  81°/64°  

Wed Nov 29 80°/50°

Thu Nov 30 58°/36°

Fri Dec 01  60°/40°  

Sat Dec 02 64°/48°  

Sun Dec 03  70°/52°

Jim-

Uh oh, looks like your right, we could see a light freeze later in the week.  Now weather.com is saying 33F on the 1st.  

Tonight

Nov 26  Mostly Cloudy 62° 10 %

Mon

Nov 27  Cloudy 81°/62° 10 %

Tue

Nov 28  AM Clouds / PM Sun 83°/65° 10 %

Wed

Nov 29  Isolated T-Storms 83°/61° 30 %

Thu

Nov 30  Showers / Wind 61°/33° 60 %

Fri

Dec 01  Mostly Sunny 56°/35° 10 %

Sat

Dec 02  Mostly Sunny 57°/38° 10 %

Sun

Dec 03  Mostly Cloudy 57°/43° 10 %

Mon

Dec 04  Partly Cloudy 60°/42° 10 %

Tue

Dec 05  Mostly Cloudy 63°/50°

(SunnyFl @ Nov. 26 2006,19:54)

I do that, too.  I think it's truest during el Nino events, when systems seem to track due east.

Ruskin - did you say you even got a few furries when it snowed in Orlando??  :P

Wish I knew how to quote just pieces of posts but anyway.... no I did not see any flurries  - I think the coldest my pessimistic hi-lo recorded was about 45 F during that nastiness last week.  Tampa Bay's influence  to the north provides plenty of winter tomatoes to north america hand picked here in ruskin by migrant workers. my palms seem happy anyway....

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

This mild weather has inspired my Musa back into growth, which I doubt I will often see in November.  Even my CIDP's seem to have moved very slightly.  Our overnight low last night was 12°C/54°F, which is 10°C/18°F above average, very unusual for the UK, which doesn't tend to experience the temperature swings of some of the large continental masses.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

(ruskinPalms @ Nov. 27 2006,01:18)

Wish I knew how to quote just pieces of posts but anyway.... no I did not see any flurries

Ruskin, you have a PM....

I think the coldest my pessimistic hi-lo recorded was about 45 F during that nastiness last week.  

We actually got down to 48!  I take this as a warning of worse cold to follow.  Glad you didn't have any flurries though - not good for the palmies.

St. Pete

(syersj @ Nov. 27 2006,00:29)

Uh oh, looks like your right, we could see a light freeze later in the week.  Now weather.com is saying 33F on the 1st.  

Tonight

Nov 26  Mostly Cloudy 62° 10 %

Mon

Nov 27  Cloudy 81°/62° 10 %

Tue

Nov 28  AM Clouds / PM Sun 83°/65° 10 %

Wed

Nov 29  Isolated T-Storms 83°/61° 30 %

Thu

Nov 30  Showers / Wind 61°/33° 60 %

Fri

Dec 01  Mostly Sunny 56°/35° 10 %

Sat

Dec 02  Mostly Sunny 57°/38° 10 %

Sun

Dec 03  Mostly Cloudy 57°/43° 10 %

Mon

Dec 04  Partly Cloudy 60°/42° 10 %

Tue

Dec 05  Mostly Cloudy 63°/50°

Jeepers Jim, that's quite a plunge from Wednesday to Thurs/Fri   :o   And shows how Texas is mostly influenced by the Gulf w/ occasional northern latitude invasions.  Your palms should be fine.  

Am I the only one who finds all these early winter temps a bit unsettling?   :(  

An arctic front has sagged into the Pacific Northwest with snow down to sea level.  That same air mass will migrate east and south into the Midwest & eventually into the South.

It rained today for the second time this month but since the storm originated in the Gulf of Alaska it was cold and moisture starved.  What it did do was usher in chilly air & tonight could drop below 50F & likely colder yet on Wednesday morning before winds kick in and raise the night temps.

LA : 66/52 / Rain : 0.09

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

This doenst look good. 37F and falling right now at 10 oclock. Expected to be in the upper 20's down low in my town in the next few days. It may reach the mid 20's up here.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

Wow, you have cold tempeture's at the other side of the oceaan ...

For here it's still to warm, the hole month november is to warm ... Last saturday morning i recorded 18,3C/64,4F. Normally it's at day time 7C/44,4F so we have so mild weather ...

And the predicted that the mild weather stay, we don't go lower by day time under de 10C ... I don't have got any freeze yet ... I don't have protected anything in the garden, palms, bananas still growing ...

If this is global warming ? Let's go then :)

Southwest

very mild here still...... Mid 60'sf/day, 45-50f/night and continuing till saturday where it should drop by about 10-15f.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Chamber of Commerce weather down here.

68F for the low this AM and highs in the lower 80's today.  The November normals are 79.1F high and 58.4F low so being above normal is our payback for the nasty weather last week!

Larry 

We all should be counting our blessings.... I would hate to be in Seattle where it's been snowing like crazy and temps dropped into the teens last night....brrrrrrr

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

(happ @ Nov. 28 2006,01:14)

Jeepers Jim, that's quite a plunge from Wednesday to Thurs/Fri   :o   And shows how Texas is mostly influenced by the Gulf w/ occasional northern latitude invasions.  Your palms should be fine.  

My local weather guys aren't predicting it to get as cold as the national guys like weather.com.  Local forecasters are saying we are "only" going to get down to the upper 30s for lows and around 60 for high, later on in the week.  I trust them more than some guy 1,000 miles away trying to forecast.

It does look like the serious cold is going to hit north texas, but instead of going straight south into south texas, it is projected to spread east.  Well, at least that's what I hope happens.  At 29N, we have latitude on our side somewhat, they moderate by the time they get here.  Plus some weaker fronts die out in the in the Central Texas Hill country.  North Texas gets a LOT colder than we do.  I hate cold.

(happ @ Nov. 28 2006,01:14)

Am I the only one who finds all these early winter temps a bit unsettling?   :(

I'm a little worried about Thurs and Fri morning when we have some very dry, cold air coming in.  Even with farily strong NE winds, a lot of places around here are forecast to bottom out around 5C.  My place is always calm when there's NE winds, so it might get REALLY cold here.

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

NWS says low of 25f on Thu a/m...yikes...could get into the teens in my 'arctic zone'...Paratortors will get the acid test again

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

NWS says low of 25f on Thu a/m...yikes...could get into the teens in my 'arctic zone'...Paratortors will get the acid test again

Steve,

where are you in SoCal that it could get into the teens.. Heck, it hardly even gets that cold here (maybe once or 2x/year)

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

(STEVE IN SO CAL @ Nov. 28 2006,15:27)

Where the heck in SoCal are you located!?!??!

Larry 

I got a call from a friend in Seattle. He wasnt really into plants but he let me put a Washingtongia in his yard, and he likes it. Its 7 feet tall. Its the hardier one. I dont have any pics but there are several inches on it. Lows in the upper teens possibly. I had to grab the Ice Scraper this morning when I went to school. I recoreded 29F this morning.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

I live in Fallbrook (San Diego north county). I have 5 acres, and part of it dips into a valley that traps cold air. I've had 22F down there 2 yrs ago, about this time...right after Thanksgiving. Up at the house, on top of the hill, I rarely get light frost. I spent today rigging up covers for most of my tender stuff. But, I can't cover it all...

It's not going to get anywhere near the teens around here exept maybe in some of the local mountains, not sure if it's ever even got down to the teens in San Diego.  According to the record books the coldest temp for my area is 22 F in 1979. My night time temps are usally a few degrees colder at night than San Diego.  Not sure exactly where Steve was reffering to but doubt it's actualy San Diego unless it's high up in the hills .  Here is the forecast for my area for the next ten days with some mid to low 40's.  If the forecast is correct it will be the first time this year we have got down to the 40's.  The average low in my area for Nov is 49F  with day time averages of 74, so if the forecast is correct then it shouldn't be to far from normal.

Tonight

Nov 28  Clear

N/A/43° 0%  

High not valid after 2pm

Wed

Nov 29  Sunny / Wind

59°/40° 0%  

59°F

Airport Conditions

Thu

Nov 30  Sunny / Wind

65°/41° 0%  

65°F

Fri

Dec 1  Sunny

73°/47° 10%  

73°F

Sat

Dec 2  Sunny

72°/48° 10%  

72°F

Sun

Dec 3  Sunny

73°/46° 10%  

73°F

Mon

Dec 4  Sunny

73°/47° 10%  

73°F

Tue

Dec 5  Sunny

71°/46° 0%  

71°F

Wed

Dec 6  Mostly Cloudy

70°/49° 0%  

70°F

Thu

Dec 7  Mostly Cloudy

70°/47° 0%  

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

I guess Steve answered my question, Steve hope you get everything protected that needs it so you don't lose anything but hopefuly it won't get as cold as you expect.

USDA Zone 10a

I didn't think anywhere is SoCal got into the teens except for mountain tops.  I don't ever even get into the teens (well almost never).

It's unheard of by me too and I've lived here all my life, the only thing I can think of is that Steve has an extreme microclimate going on where he is at because Fallbrook lows and lows for my area are virtually the same with the coldest months of Dec and Jan having average lows of 45.  I'm sure it has to be a small area beause some of the plants he is growing are rather cold sensitive like the clinostigma.  I'm not a weather expert by any means, I can only go on my past experience, maybe someone else can chime in as to why this might be the case. I'm curious to know.

USDA Zone 10a

Here's what NWS is saying about my area...it gets updated a few times per day, this is as of 1900 Tue:

http://newweb.wrh.noaa.gov/sgx....=CAZ050

I can get colder than their predicted lows sometimes.

You can see the frost lines around here by where they stop planting avocado trees...next down is citrus, the persimmons...this field I'm speaking of was a horse pasture, even lower than the persimmons.

I have my hi-lo down there now.... we'll see what happens  :(

At 7:45 tonight at my home in the Hollywood Hills, it's 54 degrees...

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm